OCCRA
Go to Post steve, don't hurt me - Alex Cormier [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Career
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-27-2004, 11:46 AM
Reslife/FIRST/Disneyland Junkie
None #1212 (The Holy Hamsters)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
jpsaul7usa is just really nicejpsaul7usa is just really nicejpsaul7usa is just really nicejpsaul7usa is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to jpsaul7usa
Post AZRep Article re: Engineering Decline

I think this is the right sub-forum...

There's an article in the Arizona Republic today discussing the decline in engineering education and jobs in the US and Arizona. There are a few topics mentioned thay Dean Kamen brought up this past season. Here is the article if you're interested in reading it. Below is a picture from the paper:

I find it hard to believe that there's a decline in engineers as almost everyone I know from high school and in college is a student in engineering. ::shrugs:: I wish they had mentioned FIRST. Maybe I'll write a letter to the author.
2004 AZ Regional Leadership in Control Award, AZ Regional Champion (Woohoo! Thanks 330 and 585!!!), Newton 23rd Seed
2005 AZ Regional Delphi Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award, AZ Regional Finalist (Thanks 991 and 987!!!)

The Holy Hamster Motto: It's only temporary... unless it works.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-27-2004, 12:24 PM
Adam Y.
no team (?????)

Adam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Adam Y.
Re: AZRep Article re: Engineering Decline

This is nothing new. I have books from the 1970's that said the same exact thing. Though I am surprised. It seems to be that more and more engineering graduates are obtaining their phd/masters even though there is far less students obtaining their bachelors.
If either a public officer or any one else saw a person attempting to cross a bridge which had been ascertained to be unsafe, and there were no time to warn him of his danger, they might seize him and turn him back without any real infringement of his liberty; for liberty consists in doing what one desires, and he does not desire to fall into the river. -Mill
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-27-2004, 01:08 PM
Fold em oval!
FRC #1257 (Parallel Universe)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
Max Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Max Lobovsky

It's nothing new that it takes a higher and higher degree to get a job in the US. Across the board there are more masters and PhDs, not just in engineering.

2005 NYC Regional - 2nd seed, Xerox Creativity Award, Autodesk Visualization Award
2005 Chesapeake Regional - Engineering Inspiration Award
2004 Chesapeake Regional - Rookie Inspiration award
2004 NJ Regional - Team Spirit Award
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-27-2004, 01:44 PM
Adam Y.
no team (?????)

Adam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Adam Y.

Quote:
It's nothing new that it takes a higher and higher degree to get a job in the US. Across the board there are more masters and PhDs, not just in engineering.
Actually that's not true. Engineering is one of the exceptions to this rule. A person with his bachelors degree can get a decent job unless he want to work with computers. Then I'd agree with you and say you'd need your PHD. and higher. I would say to shoot for a minor or dual major in a differnt field along with engineeirng. There are some funky jobs out there that involve skills in engineering and some completely unrelated field.
If either a public officer or any one else saw a person attempting to cross a bridge which had been ascertained to be unsafe, and there were no time to warn him of his danger, they might seize him and turn him back without any real infringement of his liberty; for liberty consists in doing what one desires, and he does not desire to fall into the river. -Mill

Last edited by Adam Y. : 06-27-2004 at 01:52 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: