OCCRA
Go to Post 254 bends CIM shafts every now and then in the drivetrain. I didn't believe it was possible until I saw it myself. - AustinSchuh [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Math and Science
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2004, 04:39 PM
Scott Diamond
no team

megacadet142 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to megacadet142
Bumble Bee

This is just an example of my question:

If a Bumbel Bee was hovering inside the middle of an empty moving school bus, that was going approximatly 70 miles an hour, and the bus suddenly stopped short would the Bumble Bee hit the back of the bus when it caught up??

I would really like to hear your feedback and thoughts!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2004, 04:44 PM
An inspired alumnus
AKA: Jamie Bliss
no team (previously 904 (D-cubed) and 1227 (Techno-Gremlins))
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
Astronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Astronouth7303 Send a message via AIM to Astronouth7303 Send a message via MSN to Astronouth7303 Send a message via Yahoo to Astronouth7303
Re: Bumble Bee

poor wording on the last bit there.

Anyone know the stopping distance of a school bus and/or the reaction time/stopping distance of a bee? Both going 70 mph.

[edit]ps- 70 mph = 31.2928 meters per second[/edit]
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2004, 04:48 PM
its spelled *ya'll*, not *y'all*
AKA: Roger Riquelme
FRC #3259 (Thoroughbots)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2001
RogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RogerR Send a message via MSN to RogerR

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacadet142
This is just an example of my question:

If a Bumbel Bee was hovering inside the middle of an empty moving school bus, that was going approximatly 70 miles an hour, and the bus suddenly stopped short would the Bumble Bee hit the back of the bus when it caught up??

I would really like to hear your feedback and thoughts!
well, not the back of the bus, but the front of the cab, maybe (typo?). i don't know enough about bumble bees to say whether or not it would be able to stop itself in time, or if aerodynamic drag would be strong enough, but assuming it was unable to slow itself down, newtons first law says that it would.

"But to say that the race is a metaphor for life is to miss the point. The race is everything. It obliterates whatever isn't racing. Life is a metaphor for the race." -- Donald Antrim
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2004, 04:51 PM
Scott Diamond
no team

megacadet142 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to megacadet142

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR
well, not the back of the bus, but the front of the cab, maybe (typo?). i don't know enough about bumble bees to say whether or not it would be able to stop itself in time, or if aerodynamic drag would be strong enough, but assuming it was unable to slow itself down, newtons first law says that it would.
Its funny that you asked if it was a "typo"! yes it was ...i threw that in to see if any one would catch it..you did...well done
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2004, 04:52 PM
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)

Rookie Year: 2002
Mike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Mike Ciance

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR
i caught that too, megacadet called me up about a laptop cable, but while we were on the phone he told me about this thread, and i said "wait, it would hit the front of the bus, not the back!"
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-26-2004, 12:43 AM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ciance
i caught that too, megacadet called me up about a laptop cable, but while we were on the phone he told me about this thread, and i said "wait, it would hit the front of the bus, not the back!"
Reminds me of a puzzle I heard not to long ago. It was about a train that was moving and it stopped quickly for whatever reason. There was a person alone in one of the cars and when the train stopped the person screamed in pain.
People came running to their aid, and then a police man was called to the scene to fill out an accident report. The person said that when the train stopped they were walking towards the front of the car and when the train stopped suddenly they fell backwards and hit their head and wanted to sue.... LIAR!!!

Maybe it was in that Slylock Fox comic where I saw it..

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-26-2004, 12:53 AM
An inspired alumnus
AKA: Jamie Bliss
no team (previously 904 (D-cubed) and 1227 (Techno-Gremlins))

Astronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Astronouth7303 Send a message via AIM to Astronouth7303 Send a message via MSN to Astronouth7303 Send a message via Yahoo to Astronouth7303

Trains don't stop suddenly. Period. They can take several miles to do a full-out emergancy stop.
[edit]I mean today. On it's own. No crashing.[/edit]

Last edited by Astronouth7303 : 07-26-2004 at 01:17 AM.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-26-2004, 01:00 AM
Fold em oval!
FRC #1257 (Parallel Universe)
Team Role: College Student

Max Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant futureMax Lobovsky has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Max Lobovsky

Trains can stop trains suddenly. period. I remember reading about how during the turn of the century, they would make entertainment out of decomissioning old engines and cars by crashing them together in front of an audience. Apparently at one such event, the boilers exploded from the pressure and many people were killed by flying rivets and bolts from the boilers.

2005 NYC Regional - 2nd seed, Xerox Creativity Award, Autodesk Visualization Award
2005 Chesapeake Regional - Engineering Inspiration Award
2004 Chesapeake Regional - Rookie Inspiration award
2004 NJ Regional - Team Spirit Award
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-03-2004, 04:25 AM
Tie Wrap-Not Cable Tie or Zip tie
AKA: Stephen Denman
FRC #0759 (Systemetric)

Rookie Year: 2003
Denman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Denman Send a message via AIM to Denman Send a message via MSN to Denman Send a message via Yahoo to Denman

right,
if the bee was attached to the bus (ie it was sitting on a seat) then it would go flying into the screen. Like when your in car and you shunt someone you go fowards because you are going at the same speed as the car but dont decelerate as fast as the car.
If the bee was flying around in the bus on its own (as the question states) then it would not go flying into the back as it would be able to decelerate with the same speed, as its momentum isn't high. Its the same in rollercoasters et. If you just brake in a ollercoaster you go fowards b/c the coaster has deceleeated faster than you have (sry my R key is a bit dodgey here lol)

FIRSTWiki.org - Contribute, learn, inspire.

"Teach the way of the GP and the way of the GP shall teach you" - Me
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-03-2004, 02:44 PM
Grammar Curmudgeon
AKA: gwross
FRC #0330 (Beach 'Bots)

Rookie Year: 1998
Greg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Ross Send a message via Yahoo to Greg Ross

I don't think there is enough information (like bus speed, braking force, temperature, etc.) to determine the answer. My instinct, though, is that the bee would be able to stop itself before it hit the FRONT of the bus.

Think about the air in the bus. The bee is floating in the midst of an air mass as it (the mass of air) is carried along inside the bus. The bee is able to effect enough force on the air underneath it to keep itself from falling to the floor.

When the bus stops suddenly, the air will want to slosh toward the front of the bus, carrying the bee with it. And here is where the gut feeling comes in: The air mass will be denser at the front of the bus, so, assuming the bus isn't braking with too many G's, the bee should, by shifting its force vector, be able to get enough support from that denser air to keep it from becoming a grease spot on the inside of the windshield.
ôLife should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" Hunter S. Thompson
"Playing a practical joke means doing something mean and calling it funny." Me

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: