Go to Post Here, and in general, avoid jumping to conclusions without research. This will serve you well in life. - DonRotolo [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Chit-Chat
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-26-2004, 10:56 PM
FRC 812/3476 Mentor
AKA: George
FRC #0812 (Midnight Mechanics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
DCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond repute
My scathing review of Catwoman

CatWoman - movie, 2 stars

Okay, I'm not going to be really nice about this. The movie was CRAP. They should've put just the cats on screen for two hours and I would've been more amused. This movie screamed "LET'S CATER TO STUPID AMERICANS!" forgetting the fact there are intelligent ones that actually still go to movies for plot and substance.

There is so much WRONG with this movie. Okay, if you like seeing butt shots, clevage shots, and the like, go ahead, see this movie. It delivers that far too well. If you like to see women in leather and using whips, first go see a psychiatrist, but yes, you might enjoy the film. The movie was directed by a man who apparently has no last name, which obviously means that he is a half-wit who was disowned by his parents. Okay, so I'm a little harsh on that part.

The coordination is terrible. The opening credits (though really awesome and one of the few commendable things about the film) are TOTALLY out of place and when the movie finally gets to the part where it actually belongs, there's really no explanation. It was a great thing totally wasted. There's a clumsy romance somewhere in there that only serves to provide the softcore p*rn scene that Hollywood seems to demand. There's also a gay guy who is an absolute waste of space. They use him far too much as a stereotype and really pokes out like a sore thumb in the film. If the writers knew better, they would've developed the mystery better, which in the film as it is makes the viewer scream "JUST KILL HER ALREADY" in the film's absolutely anti-climatic finale. Did I just give away part of the film? Oh hell, it's not like you're going to see it anyways.

There are a few things I like about the film. As always, I try to look for the good things to forgive those people of the blame. First, the music was very well done. The composer worked for Disneyland Paris for some time, so perhaps I'm biased, but it was still really good. Second, Ophelia Powers was portrayed most excellently by the actress. She is perhaps the only character in the movie that wasn't butchered, though she only got a little screen time. Lastly, the cats. To the untrained eye, the CG cats and real cats blend seemlessly, making for a beautiful element in the film. Had they developed the history of cat worship as shown in the opening credits better, it would have been a much deeper film.

In conclusion, this film had potential. At least until Hollywood came and sh*t all over it. Just watch for the cats.

2001-2005 FRC294 Beach Cities Robotics
2005-Present FRC812 Midnight Mechanics
2012 FRC3476 Code Orange
2003-Present Volunteer, FRC/FTC/FLL/VRC

NEMO | San Diego Regional
| FIRST California
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-26-2004, 10:57 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Madison
Re: My scathing review of Catwoman

If it was "CRAP," why did you give it two stars? I often give crap zero stars when I happen to be in star-giving moods.

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-26-2004, 10:59 PM
Now comes without cockiness.
AKA: Corn Dog
FRC #0125
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
Corey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Corey Balint

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCA Fan

Okay, if you like seeing butt shots, clevage shots, and the like, go ahead, see this movie.
Odds are thats why.

And ya-from what ive heard so far, and seen trailers of, it looks incredibly boring and just the same old story. Just another production company trying to cash in off of a comic book.
Don't be scared to post something that is more than "dave is great" "here's my caption contest entry" and "overdrive is the best thing ever". Say something interesting. Say something that will make others think. Create discussion.
If you do say something that isn't just for fun or praising something, which hopefully you do, just be prepared to back up what you said.

Remember: GP is Gracious Professionalism, not Glorifiying Plesantries. Saying something negative does not mean you are evil. It could help someone out a lot.

Anything that I post is an opinion from my own mind. Some may agree with it, others may not. However do not negatively associate anyone else, including any team I work with, with my opinion.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-26-2004, 11:15 PM
FRC 812/3476 Mentor
AKA: George
FRC #0812 (Midnight Mechanics)

DCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond reputeDCA Fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Krass
If it was "CRAP," why did you give it two stars? I often give crap zero stars when I happen to be in star-giving moods.
lol because it had four redeeming qualities. Maybe I'm far too generous. One star would have sufficed. :-P

2001-2005 FRC294 Beach Cities Robotics
2005-Present FRC812 Midnight Mechanics
2012 FRC3476 Code Orange
2003-Present Volunteer, FRC/FTC/FLL/VRC

NEMO | San Diego Regional
| FIRST California
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-27-2004, 01:38 AM
Miss. Little Long Black Hair
AKA: Nadia Zamora
#1369 (Minotaurs)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2004
Franchesca is just really niceFranchesca is just really niceFranchesca is just really niceFranchesca is just really niceFranchesca is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Franchesca

It didn't seem like a movie that I would've liked and now with what you have just said ... it's ABSOLUTELY the type of movie I DON'T like!!

But your review sure did make me laugh so thanks for that!

And well, I should also thank you for preventing me from possibly wasting unnecessary money on a movie like that!

I have to agree ... Dorienne Plait and I are quite a DUO in CD!!!

"The true nature of the modern condition - how weak we are, how helpless against ourselves in this proud era of so-called progress." - Max Beckmann.

Always Here to Help
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-27-2004, 03:09 PM
-
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
EddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud of

Quote:
Okay, if you like seeing butt shots, clevage shots, and the like, go ahead, see this movie. It delivers that far too well. If you like to see women in leather and using whips, first go see a psychiatrist, but yes, you might enjoy the film.
How much cleavage?

Okay, for the record, I'm kidding. I take pride in the fact that I'm not shallow. Unfortunately, the average American isn't as such. So prettymuch for them, the above statement is enough to make them see it.

Back to the subject, I never plan to see the movie. 1: it's DC. I'm a Marvel guy (and still waiting for Gambit in an X-Men flick). 2: isn't Catwoman supposed to be evil? 3: it has Sharon Stone in it. Halle Berry I don't mind (she has an Oscar, and she was actually pretty decent as Storm). Unfortunately, when you realize all she is doing is showing T&A, you kinda lose respect for the film and the actress. And this is coming from a fan of comic book movies (well, okay, maybe not the Batman movies).

Eh, most of the people on the IMDB hate it as well. Perhaps it'll just go away.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-27-2004, 07:34 PM
^ plays well with others ^
AKA: the cowgirl
no team (Techno Ticks)
Team Role: Alumni

Michelle 236 has much to be proud ofMichelle 236 has much to be proud ofMichelle 236 has much to be proud ofMichelle 236 has much to be proud ofMichelle 236 has much to be proud ofMichelle 236 has much to be proud ofMichelle 236 has much to be proud ofMichelle 236 has much to be proud ofMichelle 236 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Michelle 236 Send a message via Yahoo to Michelle 236

Quote:
If you like to see women in leather and using whips, first go see a psychiatrist, but yes, you might enjoy the film.
oh my gosh, i'm still laughing at that

How many of you guys feel that today is a wonderful day? Lets take that attitude into the rest of the evening and into tomorow, we appreciate you guys being here tonight... Wonderful Day OAR
Like Dice, We Roll Together. Oh what a lovely night we have on our hands.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-27-2004, 09:02 PM
Renegade of Funk
AKA: Paul Huston
FRC #0033 (Killer Bees)

Paul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Paul H

My friend was talking about it tonight, he pretty much said the same thing. He said something about a part with a ferris wheel where the gear that turns the wheel fails and then randomly the cars start falling and the restraints release. He said that it was random and pretty stupid. He also said that this was pretty much the only action in the movie.

I definately won't be seeing it.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-27-2004, 10:52 PM
Webmaster, spamrobotics.com
AKA: Jon
FRC #0180 (S.P.A.M.)

robot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to allrobot180 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to robot180

This reminds me of the movie Gigli. (sp?) Its one of those movies that you think about seeing just to see how bad it was. I wouldn't go see it in the movies (paying for it), but maybe if it is on satelite some time, maybe I'll watch some of it just to see how bad it is. lol

By the way, I never saw Gigli.
Former Team Leader
FRC Team 180
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-28-2004, 12:06 AM
#Don'tBooTheRefs
FRC #4329 (Lutheran Roboteers)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2001
Ryan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Dognaux

I don't see why they picked Catwoman. There are SO many better super heroes / villians to make a movie off of.
Team 4329 Mentor: Current
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-28-2004, 09:16 AM
Counting Down to Kickoff
FRC #0461 (Westside Boiler Invasion)

Rookie Year: 2004
Eugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond repute

It's one of those movies that you watch just to see how bad it is. Like, those old monster movies. Where the giant bus-sized ants/spiders/tentaclemonsters/scorpions/fish invade the town and kill people. They're so pointless...but in some aspects if you try and reenact them while watching, or if you put it on mute and make your own dialogue...
Oh goodness that's entertaining.

Team 461 for life!
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-28-2004, 02:52 PM
D.J. Fluck

One question

I have no intention of seeing the movie, but is there any references to Batman at all in the movie?
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-28-2004, 03:14 PM
El Jefe de 148
AKA: Midwest Refugee
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Jeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J. Fluck
One question

I have no intention of seeing the movie, but is there any references to Batman at all in the movie?
From the review I read, no. It's been totally separated and sanitized of all Batman references. A dumb idea, in my opinion, as Catwoman comes from the Batman stories....
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-28-2004, 05:07 PM
Down at the railroad
AKA: Jason Hartmann
FRC #0237 (Sie-H2O-Bots [T.R.I.B.E.])

Rookie Year: 1999
Jay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jay H 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenia Gabrielov
It's one of those movies that you watch just to see how bad it is. Like, those old monster movies. Where the giant bus-sized ants/spiders/tentaclemonsters/scorpions/fish invade the town and kill people. They're so pointless...but in some aspects if you try and reenact them while watching, or if you put it on mute and make your own dialogue...
Oh goodness that's entertaining.
Basically like Mystery Science Theater 3000! I used to watch MST3K and laugh as Crow and Tom Servo would make wise remarks and quick come backs as they watched really bad B movies. I think it's still on Comedy Central as repeats.
2005 WINNERS of the Radio Shack Innovation in Control Award (not once, but twice! )
2004 WINNERS ------ Johnson & Johnson Mid-Atlantic Regional (also thanks to our alliances 56 & 303)
2004 General Motors Industrial Design Award Winners
2004 Archimedes Quarterfinalists (also thanks to our alliances 121 & 386)

NEMO _________ NonEngineering Mentor Organization
"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot!" - author unknown
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-28-2004, 09:58 PM
occra 23.
AKA: ryo
None #1481

Rookie Year: 2006
greencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to greencactus3 Send a message via MSN to greencactus3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H
My friend was talking about it tonight, he pretty much said the same thing. He said something about a part with a ferris wheel where the gear that turns the wheel fails and then randomly the cars start falling and the restraints release. He said that it was random and pretty stupid. He also said that this was pretty much the only action in the movie.

I definately won't be seeing it.
normally gears dont directly turn a ferris wheel and cars falling randomly is very random... normally a motor turns a tire (with some gear reduction perhaps) which is pressed against a 'ring' along the side of the wheel.. friction drive, mostly..
i dont like movies with random events. like when a random object falls from the sky and hits the bad guy.. unless its a 'random' object like in home alone. now thats a fun movie.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: