Go to Post Afterall, there's a thread for everything and everything in it's thread. - Molten [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Unsung FIRST Heroes
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2004, 12:52 AM
FRC #0047 (Chief Delphi)

CD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond repute
UFH: Richard Wong

Thread created automatically to discuss UFH Honoree: Richard Wong.

Name: Richard Wong
Date Honored: 08-14-2004
Years involved w/FIRST: 5
FIRST Team(s): Brooklyn Tech. Alumni Assoc./ConEd/SIAC &, Brooklyn Tech. H.S. (0334), Bloomberg/New York City College of Technology/Verizon Corporation &, George Westinghouse High School (0354), Verizon/Credit Suisse/MTA-NYC Transit &, University Neighborhood High School (1237), Con Edison/JAHS Parent's Association &, John Adams High School (1340)
Role: FIRST Advisor, Engineering Advisor, Team Organization Advisor, NYC FIRST and FLL Planning Committee
Quote: "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." -Sir Winston Churchill
Bio: Rich Wong is an integral part of New York's FIRST community and a great asset to FIRST. In his fifth year of volunteering, Rich is involved in both the FRC and FLL planning and organizing aspects of this program. Rich has heavy team involvement and is working hard on the new 2004 NYC team roster.

Rich describes his favorite FIRST memory very vividly. "At the start of the 2004 FIRST season, we were informed that Regional Event Coordinators have to take on a more active role in running their event. Reluctantly I accepted the position of field supervisor. Field supervisor is one of the most difficult tasks in a regional because the field must be up and running at all cost. The job requires many hours of training, hours of reviewing documents, and time-off from work to work 4 days straight. After working almost to midnight on the Wednesday setup day, then working 14 hours straight on my feet on Thursday’s practice day, and 12+ hours Friday. I was voiceless, fatigued, wasted, and disappointed by the pool of rookie volunteers assigned to the field operations. Fortunately, it could have been worst if it was not for a couple of CD/FIRSTer volunteers who traveled several hundred miles just to help. On Saturday, I was hoped for one or two more experienced volunteers from CD/FIRST community to drop by. When I walked into the volunteer lounge Saturday morning, I was pleasantly surprised to be greeted by six CD/FIRSTers. They were experienced, committed, and extremely dependable and they came through for NYCFIRST. Being a member of the CD/FIRST Community is one of the best reasons why I enjoy FIRST. Where else can I chat and make new friends across the country or with international teams on a wide range of topics? It’s a professional community that prides on the sharing of ideas, stories, advise, photos, and sometimes-passionate debates. Nowhere else can you get advice from NASA engineers and chat with California FIRST gurus!"

Rich has quite a list of accomplishments under his belt. Working with 12 different FIRST teams over the course of five years, Rich has surely left his mark. "Usually I enjoy working with the Rookie teams. They have the most energy and the craziest ideas. My best accomplishment is becoming a a member of the NYC-FIRST Planning Committee and helping to elevating the NYC Robotics and LEGO League to a higher level every year. NYC-FIRST started with dozen teams six years ago. For 2005, we will have 26+ FRC teams and 120+ LEGO League teams. "

Rich offers his fellow FIRSTers a bit of advice. "Go with the Flow! - Don’t focus too much on the trophies (yes, they are nice to have) but focus more on the FIRST experience you and your team are participating in. It may not be immediately apparent to everyone the long term benefits of FIRST and it’s ability to change the culture in this country. Give it a chance and remember that FIRST is a dynamic volunteer program. It does not try to be perfect or flawless, that’s part of the challenge and excitement of FIRST. Be an active contributor to FIRST, not a passive complainer. Lastly, give back to the program when you become an alumnus of FIRST by volunteering and helping others that are following in your foot steps. (Notice that at no time with the word R(obot) mentioned!)"

Rich is very deserving of this award. Congratulations to Rich Wong, our 18th Unsung FIRST Hero.

Nominated By: Matt_Kaplan1902

Last edited by Brandon Martus : 11-12-2013 at 09:16 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2004, 12:57 AM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Bharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bharat Nain Send a message via MSN to Bharat Nain
Re: UFH: Richard Wong

Congracts Richard Wong!!

Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2004, 12:57 AM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock

Holy cow.. Finally a long over due UFH nomination to a very well deserving person in FIRST.

I met Rich the first time this year at the NYC regional when I went there to hang out and inadvertently ended up volunteering.

Rich's sense of excitement when at NYC seemed to energize all those around him. He was there taking pics of all the cool moves on the field, and if nothing else, definitely helped fill the NYC Regional 2004 gallery here on CD.

Congratulations Rich, and I hope to see you again in 2005 at the NYC Regional, whether or not my team competes there.

edit: Whoa.. he mentored my team's millennium team (among many, many others)?? Cool!! Way to go Rich!

Last edited by Elgin Clock : 08-15-2004 at 01:00 AM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2004, 01:25 AM
AKA: Ari
FRC #0108 (SigmaC@T)
Team Role: Engineer

Arefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Arefin Bari Send a message via AIM to Arefin Bari Send a message via MSN to Arefin Bari Send a message via Yahoo to Arefin Bari

Congrats rich... you deserve this... people like you are the reason why there are still students in FIRST who wants to learn...
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2004, 01:30 AM
Go Bears!
FRC #1110 (Binary Bulldogs)
Team Role: College Student

Joshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Joshua May

Congrats Rich, very overdue.

2005 Las Vegas Regional Autodesk Visualization Award
2005 Las Vegas Regional #8 Seeded Alliance with 988 and 1505
2006 Southern California Regional #15 seed
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2004, 01:38 AM
#DecadeofDelicious
FRC #1902 (Exploding Bacon)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2002
Matt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond reputeMatt_Kaplan1902 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt_Kaplan1902

Congradulations Rich,

You have done so much for FIRST in New York (and all over). I have so much respect for someone that volunteers so much of their time to a great cause like FIRST. I tried to go to the webhug in ATL to meet you but I was in the pits working. I'm going to try and go to the NYC regional, but if not I'll meet you in ATL.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2004, 08:43 AM
This Space For Sale
AKA: Anthony Mangia
#1257 (Parallel Universe)
Team Role: Scout

Aignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Aignam Send a message via Yahoo to Aignam

Ditto to everything said above, and congratulations, Rich! Indeed, a well deserved recognition.

Aignam. Pronounced A-Num. Mangia backwards.

NJFIRST.org | Best Thread. Ever.

AIM: Aignam | ICQ: 265237569 | E-mail: AnthonyMangia@aol.com | HTTP: www.aignam.com
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2004, 11:06 AM
{Error Processing Custom Title}
AKA: oneangrydwarf/jtosh
no team (old school gangsta)

Rookie Year: 2000
Josh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Josh Hambright

Congrats Rich, this is a much deserved honor!
Co-Founder IndianaFIRST

Share your FIRST photos on Flickr!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2004, 11:37 AM
VEX Robotics Education Mgr.
no team (Formerly 103 & 1712. Now U.P. Robotics (other programs))

Rich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rich Kressly

Congrats Rich. Your energy and dedication are an inspiration to us all.

Education Manager, VEX Robotics, Inc.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2004, 12:42 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Rookie Year: 2000
JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute

Rich, keep up the great work!
You truly deserve this honor.

In a few years, with your dedication, those midwest powerhouses will need to watch out for NYC! (Don't mess with Brooklyn).

John
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2004, 01:03 PM
6 years and counting! :)
AKA: the only fish in FIRST
FRC #0007 (Team 007); FRC #1719 (Umbrella Corp)

Dorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Dorienne

I hear so much about you, Mr. Wong, and based on all I hear, you deserve UFH! Congratulations. =)
--Dori

Proud mentor to teams 007 and 1719!
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2004, 02:54 PM
Follow me on Twitter: @GabeSalas
AKA: CrazyBear
FRC #0233

Rookie Year: 2002
Gabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant futureGabe Salas Jr. has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Gabe Salas Jr.

Way to go, bro. NY Regional has been exciting thanks to you. Thanks and Congrats!
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2004, 03:31 AM
FIRST's Spare, Queuer & Tech guy =)
AKA: Mike M. / Mouse =)
no team (FRC Volunteer)

mtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to mtaman02 Send a message via Yahoo to mtaman02

Rich I better get some rep pts. for this lol just kidding dude Only I want is a simple thankyou =)

Theres alot i'd like to say about Rich. He is very very determined in getting is objectives done. Behind the scenes He is a cool Person to hang out with. But when it comes to FIRST he is like so many others a dedicated Member. In 2004 he volunteered to be Field Resetting Coordinators for the NYC and NJ Regionals, He also was one of the Head Refs. for the NYC FLL Lg and a dedicated team member to close to about 4 different teams Local to his Job. He offers help when and where ever its needed.

As of right now me and him and his FRC Planning committee are coming together with some ideas to spruce up the end of the 2005 season
competition. Something thats long overdue I think for NYC. Hopefully the CD Community will be notified of our plans as soons as there carefully plotted and completed.

Anyways I have said enough about Good ol' Richy...... Congradulation Dude for being nominated UFH.... You Deserve it. And Your good deeds will continue to not go unnoticed.

*Buys Rich a box of krispy kremes and a gallon of milk* Enjoy =)
FRC: NYC Remote Kickoff '04 & NYC Regionals '04-'07 ,'10-'13 & NJ Regionals '06-'10, Finger Lakes Regional '09 & SBPLI Regional '08-'13 and the World Championship in '05 (Galileo Field) '07 (Newton Field) '09 (Practice Fields Attendant / FTA(A)), CeBIT Convention in '04 & NextFEST in '06 both held @ the Javitts Center, Monty Madness '07-'10, Panda-monium '08, B.Eruption '08 & '09, Ramp Riot '08, PARC '09 & '10, BR^2 '09 & Wol. Inv. '09 -'12
2013 FIRST Robotics Off Season Events that I hope to volunteer at:
Where is Wolcott Invitational
2013 FIRST Robotics Events that I will be volunteering at:
SBPLI Reg.
Volunteer Resume:
Alt & Lead Team Queuer, Field Repair/Reset, Field Setup/Breakdown, Spare Parts Attendant, Field Power Controller/Score Keeper, Co-Emcee & Official Scorer, Control System Advisor, FIRST Tech Advisor Assistant & recently Practice Field Attendant.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2004, 04:27 AM
Carpe diem
FRC #0125 (Nu-Trons)

Rookie Year: 1999
MikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MikeDubreuil

Notorious BIG says, "Big ups to Brooklyn!"

Condrads Rich, an icon for what a FIRST volunteer should aspire to.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2004, 09:24 AM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker

Congrats to Rich! As we can all see by his impact, passion, accomplishments and determination, Rich Wong greatly deserves this recognition.

It says in Rich's bio that he has mentored 12 teams. To me, that holds more weight than winning a Championship. Rich - we all look up to you, man.

Take the time to bask in the glow, but don't stray from your mission to get that hot dog machine runnin'!

Andy B.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: