Go to Post After each match the pit crew gathers up the parts from the field and finds a new and interesting way to assemble them. - tsaksa [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > FIRST Lego League > Lego Mindstorm Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2004, 03:31 PM
no team

bubis is an unknown quantity at this point
Dead RCX..

Unfortunattely, all of a sudden, my RCX 2.0, stopped functioning.

It doesent even goes on and off.
The batteries are new.

I've tried to unlocking it by removing the batteries and holding the on/off button until I hear a beep as lego mentions, but nothing happens, no beep for me.

I would like to ask if there is a way to unlock the RCX.

I already opened it and it seems nothing's wrong inside..

Please help..
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2004, 06:08 PM
An inspired alumnus
AKA: Jamie Bliss
no team (previously 904 (D-cubed) and 1227 (Techno-Gremlins))
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
Astronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Astronouth7303 Send a message via AIM to Astronouth7303 Send a message via MSN to Astronouth7303 Send a message via Yahoo to Astronouth7303
Re: Dead RCX..

• Are the batteries in right?
  • Did you load any custom firmware?
  • Double check internals. Specifically: Loose/broken connections, burn/scorch marks, internal fuse (if there is one).

Other than that, I'd say you're screwed. Did you connect something to it that fried it? Very rarely these things happen out-of-the-blue; they're usually provoked.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2004, 07:07 PM
Programming User
FRC #1317 (Digital Fusion)
Team Role: Programmer

Ryan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud of

This happened to me recently.

I pulled the batteries out, let it sit a few days, put the batteries back in, and it was fine.

Hope you get it fixed.

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2004, 07:15 PM
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)

Rookie Year: 2002
Mike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Mike Ciance

anybody have problems with RCXs that don't respond to IR, but still turn on? i have 3 of those currently in my posession.

anyway, try to contact lego about it. they never responded to me, but maybe you will have better luck.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2004, 07:19 PM
Programming User

Ryan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ciance
anybody have problems with RCXs that don't respond to IR, but still turn on? i have 3 of those currently in my posession.
I assume you've tried the obvious stuff, like pull the batteries out (let it sit for a while before putting them back in), done it in a pitch black room, etc. Gee, wish I had that many.

Oh, yeah. Do they respond to the LEGO remote control? Just out of curiousity.

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2004, 07:30 PM
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)

Rookie Year: 2002
Mike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant futureMike Ciance has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Mike Ciance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Morehart
I assume you've tried the obvious stuff, like pull the batteries out (let it sit for a while before putting them back in), done it in a pitch black room, etc. Gee, wish I had that many.

Oh, yeah. Do they respond to the LEGO remote control? Just out of curiousity.
they don't respond to any kind of IR, including the remote. i have not tried it in a pitch black room, but other RCXs work in the same setting, and one RCX used to and then stopped. i could understand if we dropped one and it stopped working or something, but all 3 have the same problem - just the IR. i dont get it.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2004, 10:15 PM
occra 23.
AKA: ryo
None #1481

Rookie Year: 2006
greencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to greencactus3 Send a message via MSN to greencactus3

while i have no idea why you guys' rcxs dont work, i have a problem of my own.
my ir tower isnt working.. or maybe sumthing else.
whats wrong, is that when i try to download a program tothe rcx, i cant. well. i could, but only if the program is REALLY short. like at max i got to dl was 5 blocks. (im using rcxc1.5) 5 blocks of the normal green ones. no "if" blocks.
i have no idea why it dls small programs but not large ones. it used to work on my old computer, but with this new laptop im using, it just isnt working.
any ideas? anyone? help?

oh, and it isnt the rcx. i have two 1.5s and one 1.0 with the same results.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2004, 01:22 PM
An inspired alumnus

Astronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Astronouth7303 Send a message via AIM to Astronouth7303 Send a message via MSN to Astronouth7303 Send a message via Yahoo to Astronouth7303

• Check the enviroment; I believe this solves most problems
  • Is this the COM or USB tower? the COM tower requires a 9-volt battery
  • (COM) Is the cable good? It's a null-modem cable, so check it.
  • Is the computer port OK?
And has anyone tried LUGNET yet? The group you probably want is lugnet.robotics.rcx.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2004, 05:02 PM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronouth7303
  • Are the batteries in right?
  • Did you load any custom firmware?
  • Double check internals. Specifically: Loose/broken connections, burn/scorch marks, internal fuse (if there is one).

Other than that, I'd say you're screwed. Did you connect something to it that fried it? Very rarely these things happen out-of-the-blue; they're usually provoked.

The batteries are new.The polarity is correct.
I 've never load anything in the RCX, it was brand new, I only turned it on and off a few times and then when I tried to put it in a contstruction I've made, I pushded downwards, then I've heard a long beep, and it never went on again!...

I've already checked the internals..Everything looks fine in there..

I 've never connected anything to my rcx..

It seems that is locked someway..

I've removed the batteries for 24 hours, put them back, but still no operation..

There is no fuse inside the circuit..

I was wondering if there is an unofficial way, by shortcircuiting something e.g. or by applying external power to the board, to rivive it..

It is very odd, but the RCX stopped functioning out of the blue..

I've also tried to hold on pressed the on/off button while removing the batteries, it supposed to hear a beep and unlock the RCX as a troubleshooting guide of lego said, but nothing happened..no beep, nothing at all..
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2004, 05:08 PM
An inspired alumnus

Check lugnet, but by the sound of it I think you should call lego and ask for a replacement.

Don't worry; they're generally pretty good about that kind of thing.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2004, 05:17 PM
no team

Quote:
Check lugnet, but by the sound of it I think you should call lego and ask for a replacement.

Don't worry; they're generally pretty good about that kind of thing.

I've already done that, they told me that in 1 or 2 weeks time they will send me a new rcx, but I was wondering if there's a way to put back in life the old one.

If one rcx is ok, then i suppose two of them are great!
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2004, 07:21 PM
occra 23.
None #1481

greencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to all

Quote:
  • Check the enviroment; I believe this solves most problems
  • Is this the COM or USB tower? the COM tower requires a 9-volt battery
  • (COM) Is the cable good? It's a null-modem cable, so check it.
  • Is the computer port OK?
And has anyone tried LUGNET yet? The group you probably want is lugnet.robotics.rcx.
no, ive tried in a dark room, and also with making kinda like a tunnel between the tower and the rcx with white paper. same results...
its the com tower but im using a usb to serial adapter because my laptop doestn have any serials. the tower is using a brand new 9v battery. how do i check the cable?
the computer port(the usb one) works great with everything else ive used it for, like thumbdrives
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2004, 07:24 PM
An inspired alumnus

The best way to check the cable is to connect it to 2 computers and open HyperTerminal.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-25-2004, 06:17 AM
Programming User

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencactus3
no, ive tried in a dark room, and also with making kinda like a tunnel between the tower and the rcx with white paper. same results...
its the com tower but im using a usb to serial adapter because my laptop doestn have any serials. the tower is using a brand new 9v battery. how do i check the cable?
the computer port(the usb one) works great with everything else ive used it for, like thumbdrives
Well, we all know how well USB-serial converters worked for the FRC/Edubot controllers.

I think you'll need to get a computer with a serial port to download. The USB and COM towers work differently, specifically the COM tower shuts down and has to be woken up again, where as the USB stays on the entire time it is plugged in. If you configured the LEGO software to work with the USB tower, then that's your problem. (I think)

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-25-2004, 08:10 AM
occra 23.
None #1481

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Morehart
Well, we all know how well USB-serial converters worked for the FRC/Edubot controllers.
we do? i dont... but im guessing they didnt work too well?

Quote:
I think you'll need to get a computer with a serial port to download. The USB and COM towers work differently, specifically the COM tower shuts down and has to be woken up again, where as the USB stays on the entire time it is plugged in. If you configured the LEGO software to work with the USB tower, then that's your problem. (I think)
hmm. the only thing is, that it works with the small programs.. if it didnt work at all, itll be somewhat more explainable.
i havent configured the lego software, i dont think,. is there a way to?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: