OCCRA
Go to Post Lucky breaks and trying to minimize failures or moments of retardedness are what these games are all about, like any sport. - Bill Gold [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Chit-Chat
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-10-2004, 10:44 PM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute
How long can car idle on a tank of gas?

With all the talk about the hurricanes and seeing that stores are out of generators, it got me wondering if you could just use your car with a power inverter. Of course a ton of batteries would be the optimal choice but most people don't even have any or many. Even I have only about 50 Ah of SLA batteries lying around and half arent even charged. SO, say you use your car to power an inverter. So all the time it is just idling with the load of the alternator. I know it depends on the car and engine and size of gas tank but can anyone give me an idea of how long it would last. Or at least how much gas per time the car consumes while idling? Thanks.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Purchase Cree LED Bulbs from the Team 696 Online Store
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-11-2004, 01:48 AM
Survived year 1–year 2 comes quick!
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron); FLL #7016/7017 (Garnet Squadron Alfa/Bravo)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long can car idle on a tank of gas?

This is by no means an educated guess, but I'd imagine that you'd be good for a bare minimum of four hours, especially if your car's engine is still good. You'd probably have to juice the throttle now and then to keep the engine happy, but other than that I think you'd be alright.

DISCLAIMER: I don't know that for sure. Use at your own risk. We reserve the right to make substitutions or edits without notice.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-11-2004, 02:32 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Lets do this....
FRC #2848 (All-sparks)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Greg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Needel Send a message via Skype™ to Greg Needel

this really depends on a few things...1 how large in watts is your inverter. i say this because your amperage off of the alternator varies with engine rpm. so to get a higher RPM you will need to apply more gas thus shortening your run time.

so for a small inverter like 50 watts, it can probably run on just the idle but if you get a larger one like 1200 watts you will need to open the throttle up more to keep the power flowing.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-11-2004, 07:16 PM
Down at the railroad
AKA: Jason Hartmann
FRC #0237 (Sie-H2O-Bots [T.R.I.B.E.])

Rookie Year: 1999
Jay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jay H 237

I actually did this when we had a power outage for almost a day. I wasn't sure what was going on so I needed a way to run the TV for awhile. I used a 150W power inverter I have and used my '97 Toyota Camry (4 cylinder) to run the inverter. I only used it for about 1 1/2 hours but I let the car just idle out in the driveway and ran an extension cord back into the house. I don't know the wattage of the tv off hand but it was a 13" I have in the kitchen. As long as the engine is in good shape, the fluids aren't low, and the front of the car isn't obstructed (like having it nosed into a shrub or something else that would decrease airflow) no damage should be done to the car or engine.

As for how long I don't have an exact answer but the gas gauge on my 4 cyl Camry didn't even move. I would guess that the car would run almost a full day on a full tank (18 gallons). If I had to run it all day I would still shut it off every few hours to give it a rest.

P.S. Too bad that inverter couldn't run the 'fridge. We had to throw most of the food away..........after we had gone shopping the day before. Of course the alternator couldn't handle that kind of a draw either.
2005 WINNERS of the Radio Shack Innovation in Control Award (not once, but twice! )
2004 WINNERS ------ Johnson & Johnson Mid-Atlantic Regional (also thanks to our alliances 56 & 303)
2004 General Motors Industrial Design Award Winners
2004 Archimedes Quarterfinalists (also thanks to our alliances 121 & 386)

NEMO _________ NonEngineering Mentor Organization
"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot!" - author unknown
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-11-2004, 09:03 PM
Now at sub 14's in a 5000lb vehicle
AKA: Maher Attallah
FRC #0005 (Robocards)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2000
Matt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Attallah Send a message via MSN to Matt Attallah Send a message via Yahoo to Matt Attallah

Well...

I'd say minimum would be 3-days on my Jeep. (Inline-6 4.0, 90 amp alt at 14 volts)

Think how much energy is needed for your vehicle to travel one mile - and on a tank of gas I can get about 300 miles.

I wouldn't worry about it...(just don't draw too much power...)
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-12-2004, 12:28 AM
FRC #0188 (Woburn Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 1999
Tristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond repute

Probably for quite a long time, for the reasons pointed out above. Try this for some peripherally related information on inverters (from 12 V DC batteries).

But just as a public service announcement, avoid carbon monoxide poisioning, no matter how comfortable your car's seats are. Don't do something you won't live to regret.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Git 'em!
no team (Robot in 3 Days)

Andrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Rudolph

yesterday i tailgated the UCF football game and we were using my car stereo as a bom box. 800 watts (max) pulling for 6 hours with the car idling. I have a 3.3L V6 thats in great shape. Even in the hot central florida sun the temperature gague stayed right where it is supposed to be. I proabaly used 2 gallons of gas, if that much. My car has a 110amp alternator.

FTC 5454 Dent in the Universe Mentor
FTC 6323 Pink Nurple Mentor
FRC 233 The Pink Team Mentor
FRC 1902 Exploding Bacon Mentor
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-12-2004, 07:59 PM
FRC #0005 (Robocards)

Matt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Attallah Send a message via MSN to Matt Attallah Send a message via Yahoo to Matt Attallah

[off topic]

Andrew - it isn't a Intrepid is it? Or a Caravan?

[/off topic]

And about your 800 wats max - that is when It hits at max volume. I bet you where running at about 1/5 power and when it hit at about 1/2 to 3/4 power.

Even at that rate - you where still pushing 160 watts (and that's a loud system - so I bet even less at 'normal' volume)

Last edited by Matt Attallah : 09-12-2004 at 08:01 PM.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-12-2004, 10:04 PM
Git 'em!
no team (Robot in 3 Days)

Andrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Rudolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Attallah
[off topic]

[/off topic]

And about your 800 wats max - that is when It hits at max volume. I bet you where running at about 1/5 power and when it hit at about 1/2 to 3/4 power.

Even at that rate - you where still pushing 160 watts (and that's a loud system - so I bet even less at 'normal' volume)
Close Guess with the Caravan. its a nissan quest. And i had the volume all the way up, we had to be loud enough so we could hear it over the crappy music playing a few spots away. All of my speakers are rated for much more watts than I'm capable of pushing through them.

FTC 5454 Dent in the Universe Mentor
FTC 6323 Pink Nurple Mentor
FRC 233 The Pink Team Mentor
FRC 1902 Exploding Bacon Mentor
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-12-2004, 10:43 PM
Just Browsing
AKA: ryan albright
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Ryan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Albright has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Albright Send a message via AIM to Ryan Albright Send a message via MSN to Ryan Albright Send a message via Yahoo to Ryan Albright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Attallah
[off topic]

[/off topic]

Matt this is way off topic but i love that movie FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS, lol infact i am watching it right now with my roomate
2005 Championship Safety advisor
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-12-2004, 11:42 PM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

Rookie Year: 2001
Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Rudolph
My car has a 110amp alternator.
Was that an add-on by you? Don't most cars come with a 90amp alternator?

I thought the only cars that had higher one's were VW's for some reason or another.

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2004, 11:46 AM
FRC #0005 (Robocards)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgin Clock
Was that an add-on by you? Don't most cars come with a 90amp alternator?

I thought the only cars that had higher one's were VW's for some reason or another.
I'd agree on most V-6's but normally too you can get a better alternator just by asking. All of our chevys here (the 2.2 I-4 all the way up to the 6.0 V-8s have 2 alternators. Just one for the 'base' model and the heavier duty one for the 'limited' models.)

And standard on the Chrysler 5.2 is a 120 amp and on the 5.9 I think it's 160 amp.

[/offtopic]

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: