OCCRA
Go to Post hiring a monkey may not be a good idea i used that method once and it cost me a fried motherboard... - Cuog [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Chit-Chat
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-25-2004, 10:36 AM
Counting Down to Kickoff
FRC #0461 (Westside Boiler Invasion)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
Eugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond repute
Snowy '04-'05

So, the time has come. West Lafayette, IN got our first snow last night, November 24, 2004. Share your snow stories guys, I love snow stories.

Here's mine: So I drove out to buy Harry Potter 3 DVD. Got it. Came back. Pulled in. Took it inside, then went out and danced in the snowy rainy evening. It was nice. My cat came out too, but he didn't like it. I love snow.

Team 461 for life!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-25-2004, 10:41 AM
Runner of Gates
AKA: Scott Willson
FRC #0180 (Spam Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
GateRunner has a spectacular aura aboutGateRunner has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via ICQ to GateRunner Send a message via AIM to GateRunner
Re: Snowy '04-'05

This is when i lived in Wisconsin...I was maybe...5?

My brother and I were sledding down this big hill, with hay at the end. I was walking back up with our sled, when I got creamed by someone on one of those disks that some people use for sledding. I don't remember if I went over or under the rider, but they just kept going.

All I know is, I broke my collar bone when it happened, but they didn't find out for a few weeks(Even after one round of X-rays!) So I got to experience some of my physical activies in real pain. Weeee! It all worked out though :-p.

-It was too big
GO SPAM!!!

AIM: SR Boris 1
www.epochct.tk < -A work in progress
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-25-2004, 10:45 AM
That Awkward One
AKA: Mary Soltis
FRC #0051 (Wings of Fire)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
The Cyborg has a brilliant futureThe Cyborg has a brilliant futureThe Cyborg has a brilliant futureThe Cyborg has a brilliant futureThe Cyborg has a brilliant futureThe Cyborg has a brilliant futureThe Cyborg has a brilliant futureThe Cyborg has a brilliant futureThe Cyborg has a brilliant futureThe Cyborg has a brilliant futureThe Cyborg has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Snowy '04-'05

It snowed like mad yesterday where I was...
And guess what, a day before the holidays, I had to work!

Well anyways, one of my jobs was getting carts from the parking lot into the store, and well, this equation explains a lot...

Crazy weather+Crazy procrastinating people=

It was fun nonetheless, some other workers almost got hit by unnecessary speeders though...

It was crazy windy too! And I was slipping on the ice wherever mother nature intended for me to slip. Weeeeee!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-25-2004, 11:37 AM
6 years and counting! :)
AKA: the only fish in FIRST
FRC #0007 (Team 007); FRC #1719 (Umbrella Corp)
Team Role: Mentor

Dorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond reputeDorienne has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Dorienne

I just remember old times when my dad's side of the family used to live here in Maryland. They would come over on snowy days, and I have pictures of me building a snowman with my Godfather, Uncle Phil. I miss him a lot, he lives in California now. I haven't seen him for about two years now, but I do hope to see him soon.
Sledding also was a big thing with our family, since we'd go each year to the middle school that I used to live right across the street from and just sled with my brother. One of the few times he and I connected. I really miss those days. *sigh* Man now I'm becoming all nostalgic..

Proud mentor to teams 007 and 1719!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-25-2004, 11:42 AM
FiM Volunteer
FRC #0067 (HOT Team)

Pat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond reputePat McCarthy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Pat McCarthy Send a message via Skype™ to Pat McCarthy

This is always a fun story to tell.

When I was in 5th or 4th grade maybe (i really don't know, it could have been middle school), I was sledding with my friend and his brother down this big hill, and we had two of those flimsy plastic two person sleds. So, I was in the back of one os the sleds with my friend, and his brother was in the other one; we were all going down at the same time.

Then my sled hit a bump that shot me out of the sled. So as I was slidding down the hill on my butt, right behind the sled with just my friend's brother in it, I hit another bump and landed in the other sled!!

We laughed for about 10 minutes straight after that.
2008 Volunteering: WMR Planning Committee, WMR Scorekeeper, MARC Ref, IRI Scorekeeping, WMRI Scorekeeping & DJ
2009 Volunteering: Kettering District, MARC, IRI, and WMRI Scorekeeper/Field Power Controller
2010 Volunteering: Kettering District, MARC, IRI, and WMRI Scorekeeper/Field Power Controller
2011 Volunteering: Waterford District, West Michigan District, MARC, & IRI DJ
2012 Volunteering: Waterford District, West Michigan District DJ
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-25-2004, 11:48 AM
Iraq is fun.
AKA: Brad Cahn
no team (Robobees 836)

Bcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bcahn836 Send a message via Yahoo to Bcahn836

I lived in southern mississippi for about 13 years it snowed well flurried once, but by the time i got up it was melted away. well about 5 years ago i moved to maryland, during the summer, and that following winter was the first time i had ever seen snow, it was pretty cool, i was playing in the snow like a little kid. Now I am sick of snow and want to move back to southern mississippi so i don't have to see it again.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-25-2004, 11:53 AM
-
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
EddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud of

Ai ya... I knew I forgot to put up the annual "First Snow of the Year" thread about 10 days ago...

Speaking of which: ha! We beat you by 10 days! pppbbbbbttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-25-2004, 12:03 PM
Now comes without cockiness.
AKA: Corn Dog
FRC #0125
Team Role: College Student

Corey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Corey Balint

I have 3 decent stories, not really funny, but just good if you were there.

The first two was back in either 94 or 96 when the east coast was hit by that massive blizzard. When it was still snowing out, i went into my backyard to build like a little fort, i also wanted to run and slide on the ice, so i brought a little plastic dome type sled. Me not knowing how windy it actually was picked it up over my head and walked outside. All of a sudden a huge gust picks up, and lifts me off the ground a good 5 feet, i never thought that could happen, still cant believe it today. So i let go and watch the sled fly over the highway by my house and land on the other side of the street.
During that same storm, the day after it stopped snowing, my sisters, there friends and i, all went to the front of my house and started skating in the streets, because they were solid ice. Later that day the ice started to break up, so we started to pick it up, and build a fort. four hours later we had about a 6 foot high ice fort, almost completely enclosed. that was a lot of fun, took the longest time to melt.

then 2 years ago, i was in Washington DC for a Model UN conference. Saturday night, the day before everyone is set to leave, we hear rumors that its going to snow. We were all excited because it would be a great bus ride home, seeing everything snowed over. Little did we know it was going to be over 2 feet of snow, and blizzard like conditions. We wake up taht morning and look out our window, it was white, completely white, everything. It was such an amazing site. Still thinking we were gonna go home in about 4 hours, we start to pack and get ready to go to our final meeting. After packing, my friend and i, run down the still blizzard like street, and stop at a starbucks to get a morning jump. On the way back, we had to help about 4 cars get out of snowbanks or just help them make a turn. So after final committee, we go gather in the lobby with luggage and all, and wait for the bus. Turns out the bus is stuck in Philadelphia, and wont be able to make it for another 2 days. We all start to celebrate because it will allow us to miss an extra day of school, but then it sets in that we have to pay for it, and that wasnt going to be any fun. Later that nite though, our advisor gets a call from the school board saying they will pay for the extra two days, and a call from the hotel saying all food will be free for us to enjoy. had to be the greatest school trip ever(next to any FIRST event).
Don't be scared to post something that is more than "dave is great" "here's my caption contest entry" and "overdrive is the best thing ever". Say something interesting. Say something that will make others think. Create discussion.
If you do say something that isn't just for fun or praising something, which hopefully you do, just be prepared to back up what you said.

Remember: GP is Gracious Professionalism, not Glorifiying Plesantries. Saying something negative does not mean you are evil. It could help someone out a lot.

Anything that I post is an opinion from my own mind. Some may agree with it, others may not. However do not negatively associate anyone else, including any team I work with, with my opinion.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-25-2004, 12:10 PM
Support STEM Education
FRC #3301 (Jay County Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Kyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond repute

Like West Lafayette...we got our first snow at about the same time last night.(West Lafayette and Kokomo are only about 45 mines apart.) We didn't get much but we did get about grass covering amounts. It's not enough to have fun in though, which makes me kinda mad!!! HAHA

-Kyle

Kyle Love
Teams I've been on:
Team 45 - The TechnoKats - Student/Leader/Driver 2004-2007
Team 1646 - Boiler Precision Guessworks - Mentor 2007-2011
Team 3301 - Jay County Robotics - Teacher 2011-Present

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-25-2004, 01:43 PM
FRC #0573 (Mech Warriors)

Lisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond repute

Hehe. Ok, so it was February 2003... (Corey will remember this one, too )

<edit> Ok, never mind, he beat me to it LOL </edit>

We were competing at a national Model UN conference in DC, and that whole week goes fine... Heck, it was about 50 and sunny. THEN, it decides to snow on about the second to last day. Let's just say Mother Nature didn't stop. We got about 2 feet of snow, and DC really wasn't prepared for it (which was a big change because, my team being from Michigan, we were used to seeing tons of snow plows).

The hotel let us stay for free, I think (I don't quite remember). We ended up staying there for about one week... and since we didn't have competition anymore, we ended up riding elevators, roaming through Georgetown trying to find random places that were open, and having plenty of snowball fights.

We had fun seeing the Puerto Ricans react to the snow, because they'd never seen it before. They were so excited!

Quite a few people got stuck in the snow in cars because they had never gotten that much snow... so we helped them out, too. We had fun knowing that we were able to have a great time and help people out at the same time.

Fun times .

Mentor - Team 573, Mech Warriors
Former Mentor - Team 830, Rat Pack and Team 3182, Athena's Warriors
Proud Alumna - Team 573, Mech Warriors and Team 1, Juggernauts
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-25-2004, 02:40 PM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMcD
Speaking of which: ha! We beat you by 10 days! pppbbbbbttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And Rochester beat you by about 10 days :-p
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-25-2004, 04:28 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory

Psh, we had snow over 2 weeks ago.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-25-2004, 07:07 PM
Survived year 1–year 2 comes quick!
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron); FLL #7016/7017 (Garnet Squadron Alfa/Bravo)

Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a Columbia snow story. (Bear in mind, I've lived here all my life.)

Snow comes to Columbia about...once a year. Maybe once every other year. And any time the snow sticks, even slightly, everything in town grinds to a halt. No school, no government, no nothing.

(Although earlier this year, as a bunch of us die-hards on 1293 were crating up the robot on the last night (post-tackle), it was sleeting. And there was school the next day.)
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV (51,569.9 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-25-2004, 07:41 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Clark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Since Kokomo is straight east of West Lafayette we got the same snow. Here it is.

Grandparent's new Buick Rainier gets its first taste of snow.

Last edited by Clark Gilbert : 11-25-2004 at 07:55 PM.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-26-2004, 04:05 PM
AKA: Allison Kneisler
FRC #3538 (Avondale RoboJackets)

Allison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Allison K

I have to many past year snow stories to pick one, but this year was fun. We had a LAN party the night it snowed and ended up having a massive snowball fight. It was the perfect kind of snow for snowballs. At my Mom's house we got like six inches of prime sledding snow. The really dry fast kind.

Allison

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: