OCCRA
Go to Post For We Will Rock You, we quit counting Saturday morning when it got to 12 times. - Gary Dillard [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #121   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2004, 06:37 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: No official FIRST game hint yet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningQuestion
have you noticed that Dave has been talking about baseball alot lately?

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=53

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=71

...anyone else find this interesting?

I'm wondering if maybe he was talking about John Neun the baseball player....
Of course, it might just be that baseball is on Dave's mind right about now, because he is REALLY upset that the Washington DC government is about to completely screw up the first serious opportunity to bring baseball back to DC in the last 32 years, and he was getting all excited about getting season tickets, but now it looks like they will just be for one crummy season in RFK Stadium instead of a brand new facility that would be the envy of the baseball world...

... or maybe not.

-dave
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #122   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2004, 06:56 PM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlavery
... or maybe not.
Alright. We are playing with baseballs. Teams will have a hard time getting them to the goals because they all collect in the center of the field because it is a slight V shape incline. The object is to remove all the baseballs making the "center gone" and place them in goals for 4 points each. But, "4 is not enough" If there are no baseballs left in the center "trough" of the field, one of the alliances gets a multiplier making them worth more.

When the center is gone, four is not enough.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Purchase Cree LED Bulbs from the Team 696 Online Store
  #123   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2004, 07:12 PM
Now comes without cockiness.
AKA: Corn Dog
FRC #0125
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
Corey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond reputeCorey Balint has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Corey Balint

Well, baseball and 4 would be the bases, and with the center gone, no pitchers mound, so maybe the human player has to throw something from one of the four bases. The bases would be at corners diagonal from each other, like a baseball diamond.
Don't be scared to post something that is more than "dave is great" "here's my caption contest entry" and "overdrive is the best thing ever". Say something interesting. Say something that will make others think. Create discussion.
If you do say something that isn't just for fun or praising something, which hopefully you do, just be prepared to back up what you said.

Remember: GP is Gracious Professionalism, not Glorifiying Plesantries. Saying something negative does not mean you are evil. It could help someone out a lot.

Anything that I post is an opinion from my own mind. Some may agree with it, others may not. However do not negatively associate anyone else, including any team I work with, with my opinion.
  #124   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-17-2004, 09:28 PM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wetzel

Quote:
... or maybe not.

-dave
Yup. Maybe it will end up in Dulles.

Wetzel
  #125   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2004, 11:32 AM

Andrew is a name known to allAndrew is a name known to allAndrew is a name known to allAndrew is a name known to allAndrew is a name known to allAndrew is a name known to all

Quote:
If I were looking for a clue, I would be looking to John Neun. But that is just me.

-dave

Hey! that was my fourth post of the day! Woohoo!
If you search on DL's posts, you will see that this was not, in fact, his fourth post of the day, it was his only post of the day (12-03-04). I think this means the number four is significant. Not that you should find three other posts with clues.

"Looking to John Neun" could mean look at a picture of J. N. (as several have suggested) or to look up Johnny Neun, the baseball player (as others have suggested).

In order for Dave to have used an obscure picture on CD as a clue (say the number 5 on a pipe or the fact that J.N. is standing in front of a paper machine), he would either have to know that such a picture existed or he would have had to troll through the CD picture gallery for hours to find such a coincidence. So, I doubt that the CD picture is the referenced clue.

However, Johnny Neun, as a first baseman, completing an unassisted triple play for Detroit in the 1920's might be something that Dave would be familiar with. And, due to Dave's long time familiarity with CD, the coincidence of Johnny Neun's name with John Neun and John V. Neun would be expected. Hence, if Dave is pointing us toward the unassisted triple play, he would pick Johnny Neun instead of, say, Raphael Furcal, the most recent person to complete an unassisted triple play.

What is the unique feature of the unassisted triple play? One defender eliminates three offensive players.

This leads me to believe that there will be four safe zones (or bases). We will have one defender facing three opponents.

Combining this with the Championship eligibility criteria that there will be three (3) regional champions and Car Nack's prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Nack
Car Nack Predicts #1 for 2005

There will Not be alliances with three teams per alliance in 2005.

Car Nack has spoken
leads me to believe that the 2v2 competition from the past few years will not be repeated in 2005.
  #126   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2004, 02:11 PM
~La Reina de los Robots~
AKA: Stephanie
FRC #1351 (TKO)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2004
RbtGal1351 is a splendid one to beholdRbtGal1351 is a splendid one to beholdRbtGal1351 is a splendid one to beholdRbtGal1351 is a splendid one to beholdRbtGal1351 is a splendid one to beholdRbtGal1351 is a splendid one to beholdRbtGal1351 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to RbtGal1351 Send a message via MSN to RbtGal1351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
leads me to believe that the 2v2 competition from the past few years will not be repeated in 2005.
ditto.

i was thinking that maybe FIRST is taking its idea of "gracious professionalism" and its alliances to another level so that you dont want ANY of the other teams on the field to be broken or anything.. say, there are 4 teams on the field, and you have to work with team 2 to do such-n-such, team 3 to do something else, and team 4 for another task, so you can only win if you work with ALL the other robots.
this would be an interesting twist...

~Stephanie
Thanks for making FIRST such a great experience for me. I'm no longer on 1351, and I'm not currently planning to mentor team 97, but FIRST has meant so much in getting me to where I am now, in life and at MIT, class of 2011.
I met Billfred! He recognized me!
SVR 04: 11th seed - Highest Rookie Seed - Semifinalists w/ 1120 and 568 - GM Industrial Design Award
SVR 05: Semifinalists w/ 8 and 766
SVR 06: 6th seed - Quarterfinalists w/ 368 and 1072
Davis 06: 1st seed - Quarterfinalists w/ 649 and 100 - KPCB Entrepreneurship Award
SVR 07: 36th seed
David 07: 4th seed - Semifinalists w/ 1280 and 692 - Johnson and Johnson Sportsmanship Award
  #127   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2004, 02:14 PM
Survived year 1–year 2 comes quick!
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron); FLL #7016/7017 (Garnet Squadron Alfa/Bravo)

Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbtGal1351
ditto.

i was thinking that maybe FIRST is taking its idea of "gracious professionalism" and its alliances to another level so that you dont want ANY of the other teams on the field to be broken or anything.. say, there are 4 teams on the field, and you have to work with team 2 to do such-n-such, team 3 to do something else, and team 4 for another task, so you can only win if you work with ALL the other robots.
this would be an interesting twist...

~Stephanie
Interesting concept. However, how would this be any different from 2001's 4v0 game where you had to work with all of the other robots on the field? With all of the robots working together, you have no defensive force on the field. And defense is what makes a game interesting.
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV (51,569.9 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #128   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2004, 09:30 PM
~La Reina de los Robots~
AKA: Stephanie
FRC #1351 (TKO)
Team Role: Programmer

RbtGal1351 is a splendid one to beholdRbtGal1351 is a splendid one to beholdRbtGal1351 is a splendid one to beholdRbtGal1351 is a splendid one to beholdRbtGal1351 is a splendid one to beholdRbtGal1351 is a splendid one to beholdRbtGal1351 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to RbtGal1351 Send a message via MSN to RbtGal1351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfred
Interesting concept. However, how would this be any different from 2001's 4v0 game where you had to work with all of the other robots on the field? With all of the robots working together, you have no defensive force on the field. And defense is what makes a game interesting.
well they could make it reali complicated (which wouldnt be too surprising...) and for the first half of the game, teams 1 and 2 and teams 3 and 4 would be "allied" and would have to do Task 1, and for the second half of the game, teams 1 and 3 and teams 2 and 4 would have to do Task 2. [then maybe teams 1 and 4 and teams 2 and 3 on task 3?]
but no time in between switching partners to work on robot, so if a robot you were against fell over, you'd be upset because you're allied w/ them the next section of the match.

~Stephanie
Thanks for making FIRST such a great experience for me. I'm no longer on 1351, and I'm not currently planning to mentor team 97, but FIRST has meant so much in getting me to where I am now, in life and at MIT, class of 2011.
I met Billfred! He recognized me!
SVR 04: 11th seed - Highest Rookie Seed - Semifinalists w/ 1120 and 568 - GM Industrial Design Award
SVR 05: Semifinalists w/ 8 and 766
SVR 06: 6th seed - Quarterfinalists w/ 368 and 1072
Davis 06: 1st seed - Quarterfinalists w/ 649 and 100 - KPCB Entrepreneurship Award
SVR 07: 36th seed
David 07: 4th seed - Semifinalists w/ 1280 and 692 - Johnson and Johnson Sportsmanship Award
  #129   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2004, 10:30 PM
Class of OT9
FRC #0771 (S.W.A.T. (St. Mildred's Women Advancing Technology))

shyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond reputeshyra1353 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to shyra1353

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbtGal1351
well they could make it reali complicated (which wouldnt be too surprising...) and for the first half of the game, teams 1 and 2 and teams 3 and 4 would be "allied" and would have to do Task 1, and for the second half of the game, teams 1 and 3 and teams 2 and 4 would have to do Task 2. [then maybe teams 1 and 4 and teams 2 and 3 on task 3?]
but no time in between switching partners to work on robot, so if a robot you were against fell over, you'd be upset because you're allied w/ them the next section of the match.

~Stephanie
that would be kind of complicated to explain to my grandmother so I don't think FIRST would do it .. though I do like the idea ..

2006: 771 - SWAT - mentor
2007: 912 - Iron Lyons - mentor
if you're going around in circles...then maybe you're cutting corners
aim for the moon and if you miss at least you will land amongst the starts

Email: underscore.asdf@gmail.com
My Website!!
Shirts available for trade: 2005 SWAT 771, 2004 Team 1353, 2003 FIRST Canadian Regional, and 2005 Greater Toronto Regional.
I am also interested in operator/safety captain badges, pins, or any other handouts your team may have given out that you would be willing to mail to Canada.
  #130   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-21-2004, 04:08 PM
<Yes I managed to flip it
AKA: Shayne Helms
FRC #1132 (RAPTAR Robotics)

Sachiel7 is just really niceSachiel7 is just really niceSachiel7 is just really niceSachiel7 is just really niceSachiel7 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Sachiel7

Just a tad of info here,
Speaking of numbers...
Check out this post
The KOP is supposedly made up of 5 parts this year...
There's your 5 again...
(hee hee)

There's no such thing as being too simple!
Look for Team #1132, RAPTAR Robotics at the VCU Regional this year!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: