OCCRA
Go to Post Meh, that's nothing a freshman with a drill press and a dremel can't fix... - Chad987 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > IT / Communications > Website Design/Showcase
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2005, 12:05 AM
FIRST Scouting Network
AKA: Andrew Schenk
FRC #0201 (The FEDS)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
Jack is a jewel in the roughJack is a jewel in the roughJack is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Jack
Automated Email

Hey all,

I've tried to google arroud on the internet for an answer to this one, but I haven't seemed to find an answer.

Here's what I'm looking to do. (FYI.. this is a *nix system).

I'd like to have a script run whenever an email to a certian address is receaved. My getto solution right now is to have a cron tab set up to run a script to check for new emails every few minutes. However, if there is a way possible, I'd much rather have the script only run when an email arrives as opposed to running it every few minutes.

I'm not exactly sure of the mail server specs, but if that's important, I can get them.

I'd figure something like this has to be possible, after all auto-responders are sent whenever new mail is receaved, but in my case I don't want to send an email back, I want to execute a script of mine.

Thanks,

Jack

All about me: http://knehcsa.vze.com
**Check out the New FIRST Scouting Network**
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2005, 01:55 AM
AKA: Grant Harding
#0084 (WATTNESS (bot: Chuck))

evulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to evulish
Re: Automated Email

You might want to look at procmail. It's pretty common on unix systems. I've never messed with it but it looks like it'll do what you want. There's pretty good documentation in the man page and the FAQ's on procmail's site (procmail.org) have some very basic examples.
I'm a professional web developer. I'm good with PHP, Perl, Java/JSP, some RoR, XML, Javascript (AJAX as well), (x)HTML, CSS, etc.. Validated code is good; fully cross-browser code is better (you comply to your users and the software they use, not the other way around. Sorry!)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2005, 11:02 AM
I check here maybe once a year.
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
Timothy D. Ginn is a name known to allTimothy D. Ginn is a name known to allTimothy D. Ginn is a name known to allTimothy D. Ginn is a name known to allTimothy D. Ginn is a name known to allTimothy D. Ginn is a name known to all
Send a message via ICQ to Timothy D. Ginn Send a message via AIM to Timothy D. Ginn Send a message via MSN to Timothy D. Ginn Send a message via Yahoo to Timothy D. Ginn Send a message via Skype™ to Timothy D. Ginn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
However, if there is a way possible, I'd much rather have the script only run when an email arrives as opposed to running it every few minutes.

I'm not exactly sure of the mail server specs, but if that's important, I can get them.
The way it's done for the mailman software is like this (in my case its in /etc/aliases, but that can vary depending on system setup):

test: "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post test"
(with other aliases setup in a similar way passing different paramaters to the mailman binary).
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2005, 03:22 PM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy D. Ginn
The way it's done for the mailman software is like this (in my case its in /etc/aliases, but that can vary depending on system setup):

test: "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post test"
(with other aliases setup in a similar way passing different paramaters to the mailman binary).
I thought of recommending that method, but it depends on whether the message also needs to be delivered to the mailbox, besides running the script.

If you only need to run a script when the e-mail is sent, the mailman method will work. If the e-mail needs to be delivered and also the script run, procmail is probably your best bet.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-24-2005, 02:36 PM
AI Programmer
AKA: Bob Frank DOT org
FRC #0358 (Hauppauge Robotic Eagles)

Rookie Year: 2003
AIBob is a splendid one to beholdAIBob is a splendid one to beholdAIBob is a splendid one to beholdAIBob is a splendid one to beholdAIBob is a splendid one to beholdAIBob is a splendid one to beholdAIBob is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to AIBob Send a message via AIM to AIBob Send a message via MSN to AIBob Send a message via Yahoo to AIBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack
Hey all,

I've tried to google arroud on the internet for an answer to this one, but I haven't seemed to find an answer.

Here's what I'm looking to do. (FYI.. this is a *nix system).

I'd like to have a script run whenever an email to a certian address is receaved. My getto solution right now is to have a cron tab set up to run a script to check for new emails every few minutes. However, if there is a way possible, I'd much rather have the script only run when an email arrives as opposed to running it every few minutes.

I'd figure something like this has to be possible, after all auto-responders are sent whenever new mail is receaved, but in my case I don't want to send an email back, I want to execute a script of mine.

Thanks,

Jack
You really can only do that if you can run a program that checks, so you would need to ask your server to run a program, or run a program on a computer that you control, but make sure its always on.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: