Go to Post If only we could have Week 6 urgency every week. - Gray Adams [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2005, 08:05 PM
FRC #0968 (RAWC)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Gary C will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Gary C
Tetra auto loading zone clarification...

The QA forum answer says that a robots drivetrain and or chassis must be touching the loading zone to pick up a tetra from the loading zone.

What if some sort of chassis extension is touching? Like an outrigger or telescoping wheels? Would it be allowed to pick up the tetras then?

I understand I should post this in the QA forum, but figured I would ask here first.

Thanks!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2005, 08:19 PM
FRC #0617
Team Role: Mechanical

jrocket567 will become famous soon enoughjrocket567 will become famous soon enough
Re: Tetra auto loading zone clarification...

check out rule <G11>- the loading zones are 'safe areas' where another robot cant hit you.. the rule states that you cannot take advantage of the safe zone by placing a part of your robot in it at all times (ie.. tethers, long arms, etc).. now just going into pick them up, as long as you are somewhat close and you can reach out far enough to get to the tetra, that seems to be fine by me.. but it also states that you must leave the loading zone before picking up another.
j
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2005, 08:23 PM
Rich Ross
no team (The Rat Pack)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
pakrat is just really nicepakrat is just really nicepakrat is just really nicepakrat is just really nicepakrat is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to pakrat

well, the tetra spitter can go right up to it, but you you all others im not sure.

I think you need to be touching it, thats part of the challenge!!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2005, 11:13 PM
AKA Ian Ferguson
AKA: Ian Ferguson
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2002
Ianworld has much to be proud ofIanworld has much to be proud ofIanworld has much to be proud ofIanworld has much to be proud ofIanworld has much to be proud ofIanworld has much to be proud ofIanworld has much to be proud ofIanworld has much to be proud ofIanworld has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Ianworld

well i'm i'm interested in this not because of a safe zone. I want to be able to grab a tetra off both auto loaders at the same time. That means according to the rules i need to be in both loading zones at the same time. So an extender is the only way to do this. the extender wouldn't be used for the safety purpose though, if anything it would quickly be retracted to avoid any bashing issues.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-15-2005, 09:14 AM
AKA: Shirley
#1159 (Ramona Rampage)
Team Role: Leadership

n0cturnalxb will become famous soon enoughn0cturnalxb will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to n0cturnalxb Send a message via MSN to n0cturnalxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianworld
well i'm i'm interested in this not because of a safe zone. I want to be able to grab a tetra off both auto loaders at the same time. That means according to the rules i need to be in both loading zones at the same time. So an extender is the only way to do this. the extender wouldn't be used for the safety purpose though, if anything it would quickly be retracted to avoid any bashing issues.
Wasn't there a rule about being in two loading zones at the same time? I haven't read the manual so I can't pinpoint the exact rule, but I remember someone mentioning that it's illegal to be in two zones at once
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-15-2005, 09:34 AM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0cturnalxb
Wasn't there a rule about being in two loading zones at the same time? I haven't read the manual so I can't pinpoint the exact rule, but I remember someone mentioning that it's illegal to be in two zones at once
<G16>
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-15-2005, 10:17 AM
AKA Ian Ferguson
AKA: Ian Ferguson
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)

Rookie Year: 2002
Ianworld has much to be proud ofIanworld has much to be proud ofIanworld has much to be proud ofIanworld has much to be proud ofIanworld has much to be proud ofIanworld has much to be proud ofIanworld has much to be proud ofIanworld has much to be proud ofIanworld has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Ianworld

Thanks guys. I reread the manual looking for the rule that said that last night, (somebdoy else on my team pointed me to it) but couldn't find it. Off to find another soultion to the problem.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-15-2005, 01:05 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineering Mentor
FRC #0254

Rookie Year: 1998
Travis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Travis Covington

Can anyone guess an answer to the original question? Can your outriggers be in the loading zone touching it to be considered legally 'in'?

2008-2013 - Mentor/Engineer of Team 254
2001-2008 - Mentor/Advisor/"Engineer" of Team 968
1998-2001 - Mechanical Director/Driver/Member of Team 115
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-15-2005, 02:23 PM
Salmon River HS Student
AKA: Steven Lauzon
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2005
DrShadowSML will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to DrShadowSML
Question Re: Tetra auto loading zone clarification...

I'm not positive I'm correct but I think the whole robot must be in the zone. I could be wrong.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-15-2005, 02:29 PM
None #0313 (Bionic Zebras)

Rookie Year: 2000
Ryan Collings is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not think that the whole robot will fit in the loading zone.

What I am looking for is what qualifies as "in the loading zone"

Quote:
ID: 978 Section: 4.3.3 Status: Answered Date Answered: 1/11/2005
Q: Regarding <G17>: What are the parameters for being "in" a loading zone? (i.e., must some part of the robot be touching the yellow triangle, et cetera)

A: There are no yellow triangles in the loading zones. The robot base and / or drive train must be touching the loading zone. The intent of this rule is that you must be in the loading zone. By making it blatantly obvious that you are in the loading zone, you will draw far less attention from the referees.
hehe, sorry. I found the answer in another post

Last edited by Ryan Collings : 01-15-2005 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Found answer
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-15-2005, 09:58 PM
#1430 (WRONG)
Team Role: Electrical

russell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to all

Rofl. Person one asks "What are the parameters for being "in" a loading zone?". Person two replies "The robot base and / or drive train must be touching the loading zone. The intent of this rule is that you must be in the loading zone."
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2005, 12:22 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineering Mentor
FRC #0254

Rookie Year: 1998
Travis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Covington has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Travis Covington

There are answers in the QA forum, but they all refer back to the answer that states the robot base and or drivetrain must be in the loading zone. But that doesnt specify much of anything! That is the problem!

2008-2013 - Mentor/Engineer of Team 254
2001-2008 - Mentor/Advisor/"Engineer" of Team 968
1998-2001 - Mechanical Director/Driver/Member of Team 115
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2005, 01:24 AM
I ᐸ3 Robots
AKA: Joey Gannon
no team

jgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it, the loading zones are the red and blue triangles on the ground. You have to be touching one to use a loader.
2007 Pittsburgh Website Award
2006 Pittsburgh Regional Champions (thanks to 395 and 1038)
2006 Pittsburgh Rookie Inspiration & Highest Rookie Seed

Team 1388 - Eagle Robotics
2005 Sacramento Engineering Inspiration
2004 Curie Division Champions (thanks to 1038 and 175)
2004 Sacramento Rookie All-Star

_
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2005, 02:57 AM
#1430 (WRONG)
Team Role: Electrical

russell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to all

Thats what I am thinking too.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2005, 04:08 PM
Awards/Photo/Video &quot;wizard&quot;
AKA: Doug Hitchcock
FRC #1511 (Rolling Thunder)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
dhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant futuredhitchco has a brilliant future

The term "being in the zone" is indeed somewhat ambiguous for the four zones (two manual and two aut-load zones).

FIRST could very EASILY fix the problem as follows:
a) For the two auto-load stations, the field attendant stationed at the auto-load to refill it, could simply raise a flag signalling that the robot is IN THE ZONE and alowing the team to do a retreive function.

b) Since there is no field attendant located directly near the human player loading triangles, FIRST could also easily implement a pressure pad in the field such that whenever a robot even touches the triangle, it sets off a green light indicating that the robot is IN THE ZONE. If a pressure pad doesn't work, then a proximity sensor or a human referee could signal "green" once a robot is in the zone.

Somewhat like the "manual" method of detecting a goal in hockey.

Anyone want to tee this up with the officials?

RollingThunder....Winner of the 2007 Chairman's Award at Finger Lakes Regional and Spirit Award at Boston.....Winner of 2006 Finger Lakes Regional Engineering Inspriation and Boston Imagery awards.......Winner of 2005 World Championship Rookie All-Star (plus FLR Rookie All-Star, Buckeye Top-Seeded Rookie, GTR Champion, Spirit, and Inspiration)

"Gracious Professionalism is a WAY of life".....
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: