OCCRA
Go to Post Remember, WWGD? (What would Grandma Do?) - Vikesrock [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-24-2005, 08:33 AM
Software Engineer
VRC #0111 (Wildstang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1995
Dave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 'Fix It Window' and Programming....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Verdeyen
We'll have to wait and see what the response is on QA 1226.
I assume you meant question 1223, and it has been answered:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST Q&A
ID: 1223 Section: 5.3.3 Status: Answered Date Answered: 1/24/2005
Q: Does <R14>, particularly "cease all software development", preclude teams from changing code (variable values, PID gains, "broken" code, new functionality, etc.) after the Fix-It Window on our now-legal practice robot (per Q&A #1026).
A: You may do whatever on your practice robot but you must recreate your "fixes" onsite at a competition.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-24-2005, 08:58 AM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alan Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST Q&A
ID: 1223 Section: 5.3.3 Status: Answered Date Answered: 1/24/2005
Q: Does <R14>, particularly "cease all software development", preclude teams from changing code (variable values, PID gains, "broken" code, new functionality, etc.) after the Fix-It Window on our now-legal practice robot (per Q&A #1026).
A: You may do whatever on your practice robot but you must recreate your "fixes" onsite at a competition.
I think this was the only reasonable answer. I'm surprised that the question needed to be asked in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Verdeyen
The rub here is that the rules governing mechanical parts and software are different. You're trying to find analogues where they simply don't exist.
From my viewpoint as a software engineer, they are perfectly analogous.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2005, 01:07 AM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute

Does applying a patch cover recreating the code? Wouldn't that be analagous to bringing a complete set of drawings for an item for the onsite machine shop to create?
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2005, 04:06 PM
Programmer Turned Engineer
AKA: SonKenshin
#1097 (Site 3 Engineernig)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2003
Anthony Kesich has a spectacular aura aboutAnthony Kesich has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Anthony Kesich

I would see making a patch as making a part to put onto the robot since you just drop it onto the greater part of a whole. Bringing notes and papers would be like bringing drawings. It has everything you need to make the part, but it isn't the part itself.

Horray for most things! -George Carlin

"Sure, I'll play rugby. Besides, I have a lot of experience running from really big guys who want to cream me." -Me, Freshman year
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-25-2005, 05:57 PM
An inspired alumnus
AKA: Jamie Bliss
no team (previously 904 (D-cubed) and 1227 (Techno-Gremlins))
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
Astronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Astronouth7303 Send a message via AIM to Astronouth7303 Send a message via MSN to Astronouth7303 Send a message via Yahoo to Astronouth7303

That is kinda the problem with code: As soon as you get specific, it's plug/play.

My suggestion is to implement it in psuedo-code.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: