OCCRA
Go to Post Although it took me a little while to find my niche in the program, every moment spent has been one great memory after another. - Amanda Morrison [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: Would a "Thank You First Staffer" award from the teams be well recieved?
Yes 18 85.71%
No 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2002, 06:23 AM
#0118 (Robonauts)

Natchez has a reputation beyond reputeNatchez has a reputation beyond reputeNatchez has a reputation beyond reputeNatchez has a reputation beyond reputeNatchez has a reputation beyond reputeNatchez has a reputation beyond reputeNatchez has a reputation beyond reputeNatchez has a reputation beyond reputeNatchez has a reputation beyond reputeNatchez has a reputation beyond reputeNatchez has a reputation beyond repute
Idea: FIRST Staffer Award from the teams.

Since the FIRST Robotics Program is the greatest program on the globe for exposing secondary students to engineering and behind every great program, there are staffers that make it happen, would you like to get some stage time at the Nationals Award Ceremony to thank one FIRST staffer for a gracious act that they performed? In the business world, it would be like the "Caught-in-the-act" or the "Above-and-beyond" awards. If this takes off, we'll compile your ideas and make it a first class thank you but in the meantime, here are some thoughts on the implementation.

==========
The teams, collectively, request (and are granted) some stage time at Nationals to present our Thank You FIRST Staffer award.

Set the criteria for judging the entries.

Solicit one page stories about good acts by FIRST staffers. The story should be able to be read on stage in less than about 90 seconds.

Collect the stories through the Friday of Nationals.

A group of pre-selected "judges" mull through the entries on Friday night and select the winner.

At the awards ceremony, our representative reads the story and presents the award to the deserving staffer. I would propose that our representative be a very deserving and articulate student. Maybe the award has a list of the team numbers from this year (all of the teams that competed this year ... not just the ones that go to Nationals).
==========

What do you think?

-Will it work?
-Would it be well received?
-Can we do it this year?
-Can we really pick just one story and one person?
-Would it be meaningful?
-Would some teams be insulted if we give an award on behalf of them (we would have to contact each team lead ... FIRST will probably help us with this)?
-How do we pick our stage student?
-. . .?

Take care,
Lucien
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2002, 07:01 AM
no team (PCEP Lightning (The AAAA - team))

Scottie2Hottie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Scottie2Hottie
Great Idea

I would love to be involved with this. What kind of award would you like to give, trophy, plaque, certificate. But i think this would be very well recieved. If you dont decide to do this i think our team will for at least the regionals.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2002, 08:45 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
NYC FIRST Planning Committee Member
no team (NYC FIRST)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Rich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rich Wong
Thumbs up

Great Idea!

At the conclusion of the NYC Regional a FIRST trophy was presented to one local regional staff who work 3 days
straight controlling robot traffic into and out of the arena.

I believe the NYC Regional judges voted for the person (and
she deserved it!). For next year competition all the team
should request to FIRST a new Award to honor a FIRST
staffer and let it be voted by the participating team at
the event.

What do you think?

(still hungover from the NYC regional)
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2002, 09:55 AM
#0128 (The Botcats)
Team Role: Alumni

Mimi Brown is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Mimi Brown Send a message via Yahoo to Mimi Brown
This sounds awesome...If you guys need any help, let me know...im sure i can stir up some enthusiasm(sp?) with the RCU and other teams...just tell me what u think needs done.

Also, maybe instead of asking ppl to submit on their own, provide them with a pre-made form with blanks for spec info like name, etc etc
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2002, 12:11 PM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

Rookie Year: 2001
Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Wong
Great Idea!

At the conclusion of the NYC Regional a FIRST trophy was presented to one local regional staff who work 3 days

the event.

What do you think?

Yes "Robocop" as she was know to her fellow FIRST volunteering peers won an award for that and yes I do believe it was voted for strictly by the FIRST staff. I wouldn't have voted for her though, she kept yelling at me to move out of the aisle where the robots were coming through! LOL Just Kidding Robocop, keep up the great work!

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2002, 12:59 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
no team (NYC FIRST)

Rich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Team 237- Congrats!

You guys were great and thanks for helping Team 713
built their robot from ground zero. 713 was the team that dropped out because their mentor/engineers walk out
on them. When I opened their crate (because they didn't even have tools) I only found a frame and two dis-assembled drill motors. By the end of Thurs. afternoon, with help from teams
like 237, 334, and 52 (SORRY if I missed somebody because a lot of teams helped) the 713 robot was running. I especially remember Team 237 because after everyone else left for
the day, you guys were still trying to assemble and salvage the other parts of their robot they pickup from school that afternoon.
Team 237 just would not give up even after I went brain dead and couldn't think. (I was out of M. Dew)

You guys are what FIRST is all about.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2002, 06:27 PM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)

Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock
Thank you!
I will say though that our mechanical team who stayed to help were riled* up that night when thay got back to the hostel and played match after match of pool. Also after coming off of a natural high due to the feeling of helping another team meet their goal and have at the very least a functioning robot for the NYC regional and also the Dew factor, they slept like little babies all night long that night! LOL.

Also Congratulations to team 713 for winning the award for the play of the weekend, by singlehandedly defeating two robots when their alliance partner went kaput!

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2002, 09:20 PM
Half the JVN,All theTaste
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 1998
Pamela has a spectacular aura aboutPamela has a spectacular aura aboutPamela has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Pamela
Award could possibly be a "trophy" soccer ball signed by one member of each team from Nationals,, or from all the people who vote on it, or by CD posters..... We could write a cute little poem about the persons contributions to the FIRST program.

Some Nominations:
Blair Hundermark (sp?) , Mark Terrilli (sp?), Cindy Abrams, any of the poor FRCTech people (I feel sorry for the silly questions they had to wade through)
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2002, 03:33 PM
no team

GregT will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to GregT
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Wong
Great Idea!

the event.

What do you think?

"ROBOT COMING THROUGH, MAKE WAY"
"saftey goggles and buttons?"
"Up and stay on the side, makeway for moving robots"
"You know the drill"
"Good luck"

All things I heard her say... im impressed she was able to stay calm, I definitally would have voted for her.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2002, 05:50 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
no team (NYC FIRST)

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Mimi Brown
This sounds awesome...If you guys need any help, let me know...im sure i can stir up some enthusiasm(sp?) with the RCU and other teams...just tell me what u think needs done.

Also, maybe instead of asking ppl to submit on their own, provide them with a pre-made form with blanks for spec info like name, etc etc
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

If FIRST teams are interested, please submit a request to FIRST when they have the Team Forum. Last year FIRST staff was in attendance at the CA, MI, and NH Team Forum. Maybe after the National everyone can start an e-mail campaign.

The request can go like this:
A Team Appreciation Award to one Regional volunteer crew that was most helpful to the participating teams. It will be one vote per team. (just like the 'Best play by a Team' award). Actual award will a trophy (?) and maybe a dinner certificate for two?

Or maybe ... one for Friday and one for Saturday!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: