OCCRA
Go to Post Gracious professionalism is competing with a team one minute, and helping them fix their robot the next. It is cheering for FIRST, rather than just your team, and most importantly: it is looking at the future and saying, "Together, we can do that" - WakeZero [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Control System
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2005, 07:32 PM
Programming Wizard and Team Captain
AKA: Steven Schlansker
FRC #0114 (Eaglestrike)
Team Role: Programmer

steven114 is a jewel in the roughsteven114 is a jewel in the roughsteven114 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to steven114
Backup battery will not power RC

I'm hooking up our RC to make sure everything works, and I ran up against a problem. The backup battery, despite that it's hooked up, will cause a red light on the "Backup Batt" light on the OI and, upon removing the 12V main source, it will not power the robot. I have verified with the multimeter that the battery is charged (~7.8V) and even tried a different battery. Any other things I can try before assuming that it's a broken RC?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2005, 07:35 PM
I ᐸ3 Robots
AKA: Joey Gannon
no team

Rookie Year: 2004
jgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Backup battery will not power RC

I've noticed that, with the new firmware, the backup battery will not keep the RC powered indefinitely like it did last year. If you watch the RC when you disconnect the main power, the power light will go orange for a few seconds before turning off. I'm not sure what the reasoning behind this is.
2007 Pittsburgh Website Award
2006 Pittsburgh Regional Champions (thanks to 395 and 1038)
2006 Pittsburgh Rookie Inspiration & Highest Rookie Seed

Team 1388 - Eagle Robotics
2005 Sacramento Engineering Inspiration
2004 Curie Division Champions (thanks to 1038 and 175)
2004 Sacramento Rookie All-Star

_
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2005, 07:43 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Electrical Engineer
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1995
Mike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds as if you both have dead batteries...

We have had no problems with the 2005 RC and backup batteries. However, I will do a test tomorrow to find out how long the RC runs with a backup battery after the 12V power is disconnected and report on the results on this thread tomorrow afternoon.

Alumnus, Team 3518, Panthrobots, 2011
Alumnus, Team 177, Bobcat Robotics, 1995 - 2010
LRI, Connecticut Regional, 2007-2010
LRI, WPI Regional, 2009 - 2010
RI, South Florida Regional, 2012 - 2013

As easy as 355/113...
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2005, 07:47 PM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Bharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bharat Nain Send a message via MSN to Bharat Nain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Betts

We have had no problems with the 2005 RC and backup batteries. However, I will do a test tomorrow to find out how long the RC runs with a backup battery after the 12V power is disconnected and report on the results on this thread tomorrow afternoon.
I think he is right. I have a fully charged backup battery, and it too turned off a few seconds after I disconnected the 21V battery. I just tested this(Yes, I have a bot sitting right next to my feet.)

Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2005, 07:50 PM
FRC #0114 (Eaglestrike)

steven114 is a jewel in the roughsteven114 is a jewel in the roughsteven114 is a jewel in the rough

Strange. If I have a servo plugged in, it will not power anything. As soon as I unplug the servo, the battery light goes off and all is well. It even keeps running after I remove the main power. But, the instant I plug the servo back in, it all dies.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2005, 07:57 PM
I ᐸ3 Robots
AKA: Joey Gannon
no team

jgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Betts
Nope... fresh off the charger. I'm guessing that it's a function of the new firmware, unless another team can confirm that their backup battery keeps their RC powered for longer than a few seconds.
2007 Pittsburgh Website Award
2006 Pittsburgh Regional Champions (thanks to 395 and 1038)
2006 Pittsburgh Rookie Inspiration & Highest Rookie Seed

Team 1388 - Eagle Robotics
2005 Sacramento Engineering Inspiration
2004 Curie Division Champions (thanks to 1038 and 175)
2004 Sacramento Rookie All-Star

_
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2005, 08:02 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Electrical Engineer
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1995
Mike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond repute

As Alice once said: "Curiouser and curiouser!"

Alumnus, Team 3518, Panthrobots, 2011
Alumnus, Team 177, Bobcat Robotics, 1995 - 2010
LRI, Connecticut Regional, 2007-2010
LRI, WPI Regional, 2009 - 2010
RI, South Florida Regional, 2012 - 2013

As easy as 355/113...
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2005, 08:12 PM
FRC #0114 (Eaglestrike)

Hmm. Looks like a shorted servo or something...
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2005, 08:37 PM
'Luzer'
AKA: Zan
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
ahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to ahecht Send a message via AIM to ahecht Send a message via Yahoo to ahecht

We've experienced the same thing. It seems to be a function of the new firmware. With the old firmware, when you shut of the breaker, the robot controller would stay on until you reset it, draining the backup battery. There seems to be a 5 second shut-off delay now, which should be sufficient for covering most voltage drops.

Scorekeeper: '05 Championship DaVinci Field/'10 WPI Regional
Co-Founder: WPI-EBOT Educational Robotics Program
Alumnus: WPI/Mass Academy Team #190
Alumnus (and founder): Oakwood Robotics Team #992

"Life is an odd numbered problem the answer isn't in the back of the book." Anonymous WPI Student
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2005, 09:00 PM
AKA: Ricardo Martins
#0714 (Super Panthers)
Team Role: Electrical

Charly is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Charly

I can definitely tell you that with the old firmware the backup battery did indeed keep the RC on. However I haven't had a chance to test the new master code, but I'll try it out whenever I get a chance and post my results as well.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-24-2005, 01:10 AM
Programmer and Mentor
AKA: Mike Aalderink
FRC #3458 (Code Blue)

Rookie Year: 1999
Mike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Mike AA

Earlier today or late last night close enough to each other, I updated the firmware on our RC. I charged the backup battery a couple days ago and have been running it with a 12 volt jump pack running the robot electronics and testing the camera. today while just letting it run ( at least an hour) with the camera connected and a servo on the camera and 2 speed controllers and a relay all connected running properly and I had the dashboard viewer running. I watched the main battery fluctuate between 12.6 and 12.2 as I tested controls and watched the backup battery slowly die off fairly slowly. I walked away a few minutes and came back and saw the red light on the RC saying dead/low battery. Checking the Dashboard Viewer indeed it was dead, showed around 3 or 4 volts. I would have to say that the problem anyone would be having is simply a dead or low or disconnected.

And yes the RC does turn off after a couple seconds of only on backup, to save battery power.

just my little bit of experience

-Mike
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-24-2005, 01:27 AM
#1430 (WRONG)

russell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to all

I add my vote to the "its the new firmware" column. Ours does the same thing, and I have been wondering why. But even our 2004 bot does it (yes all of our batteries are fully charged), but I did update the firmware on it so I think that is why. I think this is so you dont have to always unplug the backup battery (a serious pain) just to turn the bot off. I was told that the backup battery was supposed to stop you from losing data when the battery goes dead, so I am guessing this new firmware just does some sort of safe shut down sequence in those last few seconds. Or something. I thought EEPROM was not supposed to loose data but whatever.

Mike: In previous years (last year anyway) when you shut down main power, if you had a backup battery plugged in the control system would continue functioning until the backup battery is unplugged. This new firmware seems to change things so that the robot still shuts down, it just waits a few seconds.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-24-2005, 01:48 AM
Programmer and Mentor
AKA: Mike Aalderink
FRC #3458 (Code Blue)

Rookie Year: 1999
Mike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Mike AA

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell
I add my vote to the "its the new firmware" column. Ours does the same thing, and I have been wondering why. But even our 2004 bot does it (yes all of our batteries are fully charged), but I did update the firmware on it so I think that is why. I think this is so you dont have to always unplug the backup battery (a serious pain) just to turn the bot off. I was told that the backup battery was supposed to stop you from losing data when the battery goes dead, so I am guessing this new firmware just does some sort of safe shut down sequence in those last few seconds. Or something. I thought EEPROM was not supposed to loose data but whatever.

Mike: In previous years (last year anyway) when you shut down main power, if you had a backup battery plugged in the control system would continue functioning until the backup battery is unplugged. This new firmware seems to change things so that the robot still shuts down, it just waits a few seconds.
I understand that, I would have to guess its to save the battery and also acts like a "UPS" incase of a shortterm surge on the main. I would guess that if you still have a small amount left on the mail it would keep going getting a "blip" from the main. I like the function that it turns of as lastyears's team got annoying to turn it off or unplug it.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-24-2005, 01:59 AM
#1430 (WRONG)

russell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to allrussell is a name known to all

I have to agree that I like it. Just for a while there I was wondering if there was something wrong with something.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: