Go to Post I am still holding out for the jello-based game - dlavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Control System
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 08:37 PM
Programmer / Electrical
AKA: Dereck
#1596 (International Instigators)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2005
dawonn is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to dawonn
Question PWM connectors

Where are you buying the plastic 3 pin connectors for the PWM and input/output connections. I thought about sacrificing pmw cables but there must be a more cost effective way.

What is their technical name by the way. We call them "3 pin plastic connectors thingers" but that doesn't seem to yield to many results in digikey.com

Last edited by D.J. Fluck : 01-29-2005 at 01:37 PM. Reason: PMW to PWM
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 08:53 PM
AKA: Jason Marenda
FRC #1887 (Russet Robotix)
Team Role: Engineer

jrmarenda will become famous soon enough
Re: PMW connectors

Order them from Innovation First in the Accessories section.

Last edited by jrmarenda : 01-28-2005 at 08:56 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 08:56 PM
Renegade of Funk
AKA: Paul Huston
FRC #0033 (Killer Bees)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Paul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant futurePaul H has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Paul H

They're called PWM cables.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 10:23 PM
Programmer / Electrical

But I am not looking for the cables but rather the plastic connectors on the end of the wires for some custom circuts. I know I could sacrafice these cables just for the plastic ends but I feel the need to order a bunch of them and the corrasponding male connectors.

Seeing that I only need the plastic connectors, 60$ for seems a little wasteful.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2005, 10:48 PM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

This may be a little cheaper http://robotcombat.com/marketplace_connectors.html (click on RC Cables and scroll down to the $2.99 one) but I know it isn't exactly what you are looking for. I don't remember the name of them off hand but I do know digikey sells them.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Support Team 696 on DonorsChoose!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2005, 09:39 AM
i.am.INSPIRED!
AKA: Mr. Lim
FRC #0610 (Crescent Robotics)

Rookie Year: 1998
Mr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawonn
Where are you buying the plastic 3 pin connectors for the PMW and input/output connections. I thought about sacrificing pmw cables but there must be a more cost effective way.

What is their technical name by the way. We call them "3 pin plastic connectors thingers" but that doesn't seem to yield to many results in digikey.com
http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T051/0098.pdf

Enjoy!

Housings - WM2801-ND
Female Pins - WM2510-ND
Male Pins - WM2517-ND
Crimper Tool - WM9999-ND

Note: the male tin pins I specified are quite a bit weaker than the PWM cables that are supplied in the kit, our team is using them this year with great success, but buyer beware. If you don't already have a crimper for these pins, I HIGHLY recommend buying the above crimper. We tried fabricating our own cables last year with ZERO success because of our poor homemade crimps. This year, we are having a MUCH easier time =).

Disclaimer: I typed those part numbers in haste and didn't verify them carefully. Please check your order carefully, and make sure they really are what you want.

-SlimBoJones...
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2005, 09:54 AM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimBoJones
Note: the male tin pins I specified are quite a bit weaker than the PWM cables that are supplied in the kit, our team is using them this year with great success, but buyer beware. If you don't already have a crimper for these pins, I HIGHLY recommend buying the above crimper. We tried fabricating our own cables last year with ZERO success because of our poor homemade crimps. This year, we are having a MUCH easier time =).
My feeling has always been without the crimper, you will spend so much time fixing and making cables that you'd be better off spending $5 for premade cables. When you factor in the cost of just the connectors, pins, and wire, you are already in the several dollar range, so the savings isn't that much.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2005, 01:28 PM
Programmer / Electrical

Talking Re: PMW connectors

Thank you, I am going to place an order on these and try it out, With the crimper

I looked up buying all the cables we would need and then compared with making our own, we will save 24$. Hope this is for the best, We'll find out.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2005, 05:07 PM
Team 930 and 171 Alumni
AKA: Justin
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Gamer930 is a splendid one to beholdGamer930 is a splendid one to beholdGamer930 is a splendid one to beholdGamer930 is a splendid one to beholdGamer930 is a splendid one to beholdGamer930 is a splendid one to beholdGamer930 is a splendid one to beholdGamer930 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimBoJones
http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T051/0098.pdf

Enjoy!

Housings - WM2801-ND
Female Pins - WM2510-ND
Male Pins - WM2517-ND
Crimper Tool - WM9999-ND
Looks almost identical to the once we used last year. Did you notice if they were lose or tight?? When we tried them they seemed very loose in the Victors?? Anyone try these specific onces and could verify this??

Last edited by Gamer930 : 01-29-2005 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Can't spell right the first time
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2005, 08:24 PM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute
Re: PWM connectors

Also, search eBay or www.towerhobbies.com for "servo wire" to get the three conductor "pwm style" cable.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Support Team 696 on DonorsChoose!
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2005, 10:29 PM
AKA: Matt Syska
FRC #0195 (Cyber Knights)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2003
Sscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Sscamatt

Cheapest I found anywhere on the web. Much cheaper than Digikey and Mouser:

http://stores.ebay.com/Hansen-Hobbie...QQsojsZ0QQtZkm
2006 Radio Shack Innovation in Control Award, UTC Regional

RIT Class of 2011
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2005, 10:37 PM
FRC #0190

Rookie Year: 2000
BrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sscamatt
Cheapest I found anywhere on the web. Much cheaper than Digikey and Mouser:

http://stores.ebay.com/Hansen-Hobbie...QQsojsZ0QQtZkm
Nice find. We've always used the molex part #'s above along with some 3 conductor 22 ga. wire, which is far cheaper than the servo wire. There is also an AMP equiv. with slightly better pins but the housings are wider which doenst allow multiple ones to be stacked next to each other.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: