OCCRA
Go to Post Remember that the reason that you do something should NEVER be for the sole purpose of winning an award. To paraphrase something said by one of the Hall of Fame teams: "You should choose to do something because it is fun and the right thing to do." - tim-tim [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Control System
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2005, 06:07 PM

JWilliams101 is an unknown quantity at this point
How to create a custom operator interface box?

My team is trying to create an operator interface box for the other functions of our robot such as the pneumatic that moves in and out. Can anyone tell me how to create and connect this box to the Innovation First Operator Interface. Pictures would be very helpful.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2005, 06:17 PM
You can't name all of my positions!
AKA: Andrew
#1290 (Wolfgang Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2004
Hershey can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to Hershey
Re: How to create a custom operator interface box?

OK...This is something really cool that I found the other day. We have a switch box using 3 analog and 3 digital switches. This box is going to be used durring disabled mode to tell the robot which autonomous mode we want to use. It wouldn't be hard to convert it into a box for 'autonomous manual' control. The really cool thing though is that if you look at the dip switches that are found on the operator interface, you will find a set that gows from I think 1-8 with the label of 'DISABLE'. Using this set of switches, you can also use more switches to operate as the switches for the other ports. The switches 1-4 take the switch controls from port 1 and give it to port 4 and the switches 5-8 give the control of the switches for port 2 to port 3. For a more accurate explanation, I think I found the diagram on http://www.usfirst.com.

P.S. You need to have a cable that will connect the switch box to one of the operator interface ports.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2005, 07:31 PM
AI Programmer
AKA: Bob Frank DOT org
FRC #0358 (Hauppauge Robotic Eagles)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
AIBob is a splendid one to beholdAIBob is a splendid one to beholdAIBob is a splendid one to beholdAIBob is a splendid one to beholdAIBob is a splendid one to beholdAIBob is a splendid one to beholdAIBob is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to AIBob Send a message via AIM to AIBob Send a message via MSN to AIBob Send a message via Yahoo to AIBob

I would recommend that you look at this:
http://www.ifirobotics.com/docs/oi-r...de-1-25-05.pdf
It has everything you should need to know to make an external box.
Or look at other specs of the OI: http://www.ifirobotics.com/oi.shtml

Last edited by AIBob : 02-10-2005 at 07:52 PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-11-2005, 12:59 AM
{Error Processing Custom Title}
AKA: oneangrydwarf/jtosh
no team (old school gangsta)

Rookie Year: 2000
Josh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Josh Hambright

As it has already been pointed out. The reference material on the IFI site is priceless when designing any custom electronics for a robot, weither it is robot side or operator side.

Basicly what you do is take all of your switches and pots, and other sensors if you so choose, and wire them up into the OI through the ports that are normaly used for joysticks.

Each joystick port has several analog and digital inputs, as well as LED outputs. Some of the inputs are shared between the joysticks so make sure you check out the OI reference guide.

Look through the image galleries from the last couple of years and i'm sure you can find some pictures of peoples controls.

Hope this helps...If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Co-Founder IndianaFIRST

Share your FIRST photos on Flickr!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2005, 06:15 PM
Professional Team Member
#0358 (Eagles)
Team Role: Student

Der Sichelmann is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out http://www.ifirobotics.com/docs/oi-r...de-1-25-05.pdf on page seven for the pin assignments. Pictures of our box are attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OI box1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	2948  Click image for larger version

Name:	OI box2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	2949  

Last edited by Der Sichelmann : 02-13-2005 at 04:06 PM.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2005, 02:38 PM
,':-)
AKA: C. Carey
FRC #0306 (CRT)

Cody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond reputeCody Carey has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cody Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Cody Carey
O/I pins

Hey, The switches on our O/I box are wired so that they use already defined pins to map them in the program such as "p3_sw_aux1", does anyone know which pins the x and or y axis are mapped to?

thanx
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2005, 03:49 PM
Running Riot
AKA: Patrick Cloke
FRC #0358 (Hauppauge Robotic Eagles) FRC #1493 (RPI/Albany High School)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
DarkJedi613 is a splendid one to beholdDarkJedi613 is a splendid one to beholdDarkJedi613 is a splendid one to beholdDarkJedi613 is a splendid one to beholdDarkJedi613 is a splendid one to beholdDarkJedi613 is a splendid one to beholdDarkJedi613 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to DarkJedi613 Send a message via MSN to DarkJedi613 Send a message via Yahoo to DarkJedi613
Re: O/I pins

Check this thread: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=34351

Team Search | (Updated: 1-16-08)

FIRSTsearch
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2005, 06:08 PM
Proto-Engineer
AKA: Bjorn Westergard
FRC #1418 (Vae Victus)
Team Role: College Student

phrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to phrontist
Exclamation Joystick Pinout

The OI docs give all the pin numbers for every port and what they do, but how do these numbers correspond the the actual joystick cable? I've got a gameport pinout diagram, but do the OI docs give pin numbers for Male or Female? I'd hate to do this all backwards!

University of Kentucky - Radio Free Lexington

"I would rather have a really big success or a really spectacular crash and failure then live out the warm eventual death of mediocrity" - Dean Kamen
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2005, 02:59 PM
HELP!
AKA: Brady
#0686 (Bovine Intervention)
Team Role: Programmer

kokodabear is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kokodabear
Re: Joystick Pinout

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrontist
The OI docs give all the pin numbers for every port and what they do, but how do these numbers correspond the the actual joystick cable? I've got a gameport pinout diagram, but do the OI docs give pin numbers for Male or Female? I'd hate to do this all backwards!
This is for the competetion port, but it should help you answer your question: Pinout Guide (Looking at BACK of soldering cup)
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-27-2005, 11:13 PM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)
Team Role: Mentor

Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alan Anderson
Re: Joystick Pinout

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrontist
...do the OI docs give pin numbers for Male or Female? I'd hate to do this all backwards!
The numbers don't change. Pin 1 on the plug connects to pin 1 on the socket, pin 2 on the plug connects to pin 2 on the socket, all the way through to pin 15. Every DB-15 connector I've ever looked at closely has the pins numbered (with the exception of a series of ribbon cable connectors where only pin 1 was marked).
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: