OCCRA
Go to Post We will be stressed, we will be angry. But we need to hold ourselves to a higher standard, we need to be role models and inspirations to students. - Andrew Schreiber [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Regional Competitions
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-07-2002, 05:36 PM
#0016 (Bomb Squad)

Lance is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Lance
Thumbs up St. Louis Regional

We (Team #16) just got back from the St. Louis Regional where we had a great time. I just wanted to see if everyone liked the facilities and team party facilities. I thought they were great. The hockey rink we competed in was very nice too. The referees were pretty good, although I disagreed with the carpet ruling. The judges disqualified a few teams for excessive spinning on the carpet resulting in a minor carpet damage. I, personally, think teams should be able to pull and spin all they want, because tugging matches show power of teams and are also very interesting. I specifically recall one match where 343 and 312 where in a tugging match (these teams where of the most powerful bots there) and both of them got disqualified for tearing up the carpet a little. I think they should just fix it and go on with it, and not DQ teams for that... just my opinion. Anyways, team #16 had a great competition winning first seed with a qualification average of 105.43 and also winning the competition along with our allies 343 and 869. Also, I was very impressed with the robots of rookie teams. Many of them like 869 were well designed and powerful robots.

To 343 and 869: You guys were great! We had the loudest crowd out there, and the biggest for that matter. Both of your teams had great robots. I enjoyed driving with you guys (and girl). The finals were great... Nice and Close! (23 to 21 and 21 to 20) Good look to you at nationals!

Oh yeah, and Dean Kamen and John Doer were there on their segways to watch the regional event. I even got their autographs! That was really cool.

Great job to all teams at the St. Louis Regional event!

(yes, this is posted in both general forum and competiton in case you were wondering.)
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2002, 08:12 AM
#0312 (Heat Wave)

Paul Dickman is an unknown quantity at this point
Lance, I completely agree with your opinion regarding the carpet issue. During the last 20 seconds of our match with 343, the head referee came over to our station and told us to stop moving our wheels because we were burning the carpet. I realize that the rules address damage to the carpet, however in a competition in which opposing robots are battling for control of the goals, wheels are going to spin and possibly burn the carpet fibers. I believe the intended purpose of the rule was to prevent catastrophic damage to the carpet, i.e. tearing or ripping holes in the carpet.

I would like to extend my congratulations to your alliance for your win in St. Louis and we look forward to seeing all of you at EPCOT.

Paul Dickman
Teacher/Coach
Team 312 Heat Wave
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-08-2002, 12:12 PM
FRC #0343 (Metal In Motion)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Lee is on a distinguished road
I agree on the issue of carpet damage. I like to see the head to head matches which sometimes may result in a burn or a loose fiber or two. The rule is designed to prevent catastrophic failure of the playing field. Anyone out there want to take turns at the natinals in a robot-pulling championship (after the finals of course)? Great job Bomb Squad!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-09-2002, 11:45 AM
#0343 (Metal in Motion)

Don Taylor is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks from M-n-M

Thanks from M-n-M, and I agree on the Carpet rulings at St. Louis. I examined the carpet after all of the matches were over and I didn't see any anything that I would call excessive, it seems that they considered 'marking' the carpet as carpet damage. I went over and talked to the Heat Wave team after the match where we were both disqualified and said that I thought that it was the best 0 to 0 match that I have ever seen. When you get 2 robots like Heat Wave and Metal in Motion fighting over the same goal you are definitely in for a battle. The finals at Kennedy where we competed against each other were some of the best and most exciting matches that I have ever seen. In conclusion I say that if we tear or put holes in the carpet then we deserve to be disqualified but when you get 2 powerful 'bots competing in the same round you should expect some lint and carpet marks.

Don Taylor (Engineer on M-n-M)
Team (3+4)^3
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-09-2002, 05:16 PM
#0016 (Bomb Squad)

Lance is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Lance
gl

I definately agree. I wish I could have seen the Kennedy Regionals with you and heatwave in the finals. Both bots did very well at St. Louis, and I hope to see ya both at nationals.

Good Luck!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: