Go to Post Ooohh!! Fire!! - dlavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-09-2002, 05:36 PM
FRC #0271
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
fast frank is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to fast frank
Offsides?!?!?!?

in a match in the quarter finals at UTC New Haven, we almost got disqualified. the ref was yelling, i mean graciously and profesionally warning us that he was gonna disqualify us. we load our balls over the plexiglass shield into our robot. it's a nice system that almost garantees 10 balls (out of 2 regionals, we only missed one ball) we hit a button when the match starts and 2 seconds later, the basket is right at the edge of the plexiglass and then we just roll the balls in.

here's the problem, when we were rolling the balls over the edge, our human player's finger tips broke the plane of the piece of aluminum. i thought we just couldn't break the plane of the plexiglass. they did take points off of both matches, but fortunatley we still won both of them. please, can someone clear this up for me? is it the aluminum, or the plexiglass that we can't cross? thanks

Thank you too teams 716 (you had unbelievable power!) and 175 (BUZZ )

Last edited by fast frank : 04-09-2002 at 10:07 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-09-2002, 09:12 PM
So apparently it hangs......
AKA: Chris Carnevale
FRC #0177
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not sure about the ruling, but i'm glad you guys didn't get D'Qed that would have stunk. You guys were very worthy oppents. I thoguht we had you for a little while. But alas a little bad luck, oh well. Maybe we can work together instead of against each other at Nationals

Chris C.
Team 151
The wildcards
Quaterfinalist at UTC, defeated by 271,175,716
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2002, 01:35 AM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wetzel
From the game.pdf:
Rule S4. The Students and Mentors must remain in the Alliance station during the match. They may not reach over the playing field.

I found nothing specifing aluminum or plexiglass as the boundary.
I personaly would judge it as breaking the plane of the font side of the barrier, be it Alum or Plexi.
But I am not a judge or referee, so ignore my imterpretaion.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-14-2002, 08:38 PM
El Jefe de 148
AKA: Midwest Refugee
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Jeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Wetzel
From the game.pdf:
Rule S4. The Students and Mentors must remain in the Alliance station during the match. They may not reach over the playing field.

I found nothing specifing aluminum or plexiglass as the boundary.
I personaly would judge it as breaking the plane of the font side of the barrier, be it Alum or Plexi.
But I am not a judge or referee, so ignore my imterpretaion.
I agree with that interpretation. I think that is what they mean by that rule.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-15-2002, 11:21 AM
FIRST Lifer
FRC #2826 (Wave Robotics)

Tyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tyler Olds Send a message via Yahoo to Tyler Olds
speaking from my point of view..

Hi,
As human player to my team I wondered the same thing, I asked the ref, before a match and he said as long as I do not touch the plexiglass it was fine, goign over the plane is acceptable too. I was never dq'd for this or even warned.

Wave Robotics 2014 Season:
Northern Lights: Regional Finalist, Quality, Imagery, and Dean's List Finalist: Melissa D.
Wisconsin Regional: Quarter-finalists, Industrial design award.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-15-2002, 11:23 AM
FIRST Lifer
FRC #2826 (Wave Robotics)

Tyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tyler Olds Send a message via Yahoo to Tyler Olds
a pic

here is a pic of me (thought i look like a complete dumbas s. (spaced on purpose) Thought I am not breaking the plexiglass plane , I am easilly breaking the diamond plate plane, so if that helps at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toborva0318.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	427  

Wave Robotics 2014 Season:
Northern Lights: Regional Finalist, Quality, Imagery, and Dean's List Finalist: Melissa D.
Wisconsin Regional: Quarter-finalists, Industrial design award.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: