Go to Post Don’t choose your hero because they will just teach you with their abilities, but also because they will also teach you with their mistakes. - Ken Leung [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2005, 09:39 AM
FTC #101(Radnor Robotics)
FRC #0357 (Royal Assault)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2000
Ken Delaney 357 is a splendid one to beholdKen Delaney 357 is a splendid one to beholdKen Delaney 357 is a splendid one to beholdKen Delaney 357 is a splendid one to beholdKen Delaney 357 is a splendid one to beholdKen Delaney 357 is a splendid one to beholdKen Delaney 357 is a splendid one to behold
pic: Jester Drive:Mecanum Wheel Drive Train

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.” ~Teddy Roosevelt

Thus spake the master programmer:
"A well-written program is its own heaven; a poorly-written program is its own hell."
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2005, 09:40 AM
Melodious Footware
AKA: *Crash!* Shuuuuuuuuuuuu
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
Shu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Shu Song
Re: pic: Jester Drive:Mecanum Wheel Drive Train

whoa... those are hot wheels. Do you have any real life pictures of them? I'd love to see.

WINNER of the 2005 Finger Lakes Regional, thanks to teams 191 and 494.
WINNER of the 2004 Canadian Regional, thanks to teams 33 and 1112
WINNER of Delphi: Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award at the 2007 Finger Lakes Regional.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2005, 10:30 AM
I named Greg Needel's cat!
AKA: Dave DeLong
no team (Rhode Warriors)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
MrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to MrToast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TierraDelDiablo
whoa... those are hot wheels. Do you have any real life pictures of them? I'd love to see.
Ditto!

Dave
(#121, 2004) Archimedes semi-finalists with 237 and 386! I had an awesome time guys, and thanks for the hat!
(#121, 2004) BC5 semi-finalists with 190 and 1027! Awesome time! We went further than I thought we could! Thanks for all your help w/ our transmission!
(#121, 2005) Galileo quarter-finalists with 47 and 203! Thanks for all your support through the stress!
------------------------------
If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40
------------------------------
"It'll all work out in the end, and if it doesn't, it's not the end." - Jeff Bullock
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2005, 10:35 AM
AKA: Ryan
#0093 (NEW Apple Corps)

RBrandy is a jewel in the roughRBrandy is a jewel in the roughRBrandy is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to RBrandy

That whole system looks very heavy... Is it?

Where do get wheels like that?

Awesome Job... Very impressive

-Ryan
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2005, 10:44 AM
AKA: Alex
None #0701 (RoboVikes)

Rookie Year: 2003
Alekat has a spectacular aura aboutAlekat has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Alekat

Ok i'm sure i'm not the only one who has little idea of what i am looking at. Are those wheels supposed to give better traction? Or are they a form of multidirectional wheels?
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2005, 10:49 AM
Coach / Teacher
FRC #0701 (Robovikes)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2001
Doug G has a reputation beyond reputeDoug G has a reputation beyond reputeDoug G has a reputation beyond reputeDoug G has a reputation beyond reputeDoug G has a reputation beyond reputeDoug G has a reputation beyond reputeDoug G has a reputation beyond reputeDoug G has a reputation beyond reputeDoug G has a reputation beyond reputeDoug G has a reputation beyond reputeDoug G has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekat
Ok i'm sure i'm not the only one who has little idea of what i am looking at. Are those wheels supposed to give better traction? Or are they a form of multidirectional wheels?
I'd guess they're a variation of omni-directional drive, providing more traction in a forward direction. Look's really cool - but a bit complex!
2013 Colorado Creativity Award Winner
2013 Sacramento Regional Winner (thanks to 2489 and 3189)
2013 Sacramento Engineering Inspiration Winner
2013 Central Valley Quality Award Winner

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Floater and devoted Moral Supporter
AKA: Jeff J. McCarrin

Jeffmudhs has a spectacular aura aboutJeffmudhs has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBrandy
That whole system looks very heavy... Is it?

Where do get wheels like that?

The robot when completed, with arm, without any lexan protection was around 86 lbs. The wheels, wheel molds, were created by team members under the assistance of mentor Mr. Crane (aka mold master). They are omni directional, www.airtrax.com has a great video of the wheels in use. Mr. Crane talked to the people in airtrax to get what was needed for the molds. Our first molds were made of a nice blue clay, that wasn't very symetric, we then moved to a silicon mold. We will have a display in the pits if you see us in drexel or nationals. If your in pittsburgh now, you should stop by.

[edit] To see the airtrax video: click on the link provided, click on the picture labeled sidewinder, then click on video
"Far better is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." ~ Teddy Roosevelt

I sport the Jester Hat

Last edited by Jeffmudhs : 03-12-2005 at 11:11 AM.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2005, 01:02 PM
FTC #101(Radnor Robotics)

Ken Delaney 357 is a splendid one to beholdKen Delaney 357 is a splendid one to beholdKen Delaney 357 is a splendid one to beholdKen Delaney 357 is a splendid one to beholdKen Delaney 357 is a splendid one to beholdKen Delaney 357 is a splendid one to beholdKen Delaney 357 is a splendid one to behold

The wheels will allow us to drive omni-directionally. Right now we drive forward/ reverse and sideways. Here is video of us driving sideways. http://www.first.udsd.k12.pa.us/AIA2005/video.html We can also spin inside our own footprint. The design makes us very agile. With more programming time and a custom circuit we hope to drive omin-directionally with accuracy. Our initial controls had too much drift in it.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2005, 01:06 PM
FRC #1219 (Emery Iron Eagle)

thoughtful is a splendid one to beholdthoughtful is a splendid one to beholdthoughtful is a splendid one to beholdthoughtful is a splendid one to beholdthoughtful is a splendid one to beholdthoughtful is a splendid one to beholdthoughtful is a splendid one to behold

WOW, looks awesome.

This is something new to me, kodos to your team on buildign such an innovative and manuverable robot.

03,04,05-Team 1219 Captain
2003 Rookie all Start @ GTR
2005 Galileo Semi-Finalist & Alliance captain
06-Team 1219 Mentor
2006 Radio Shack Innovation in control @ Waterloo
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2005, 02:58 PM
FRC #1493 (Falcons)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
663.keith is a name known to all663.keith is a name known to all663.keith is a name known to all663.keith is a name known to all663.keith is a name known to all663.keith is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 663.keith

I think WPI had wheels similar to these on their robot this year. I'll try and find a good picture of them.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2005, 04:33 PM
no team

roboticscom13 is an unknown quantity at this point

These wheels are similar but very different to the "grenade" wheels. These wheels are specifically designed for the purpose of allowing slip so the the robot can move laterally left and right as well as provide decent traction for forward and backward movement. However i do not believe, from what i have read on the"grenade" wheels, that they allow for this type of movement. To the best of my knowledge the grenade wheel is just another way to create an omni-wheel, but please correct me if i am wrong. The total weight of the entire robot is 105 lbs. In fact that is with no "speed" holes at all.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2005, 04:49 PM
'Luzer'
AKA: Zan
no team

ahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to ahecht Send a message via AIM to ahecht Send a message via Yahoo to ahecht

Quote:
Originally Posted by 663.keith
I think WPI had wheels similar to these on their robot this year. I'll try and find a good picture of them.

I'm glad we weren't the only ones crazy enough to try something like this. Out of curiosity, how do you guys control the robot?

Scorekeeper: '05 Championship DaVinci Field/'10 WPI Regional
Co-Founder: WPI-EBOT Educational Robotics Program
Alumnus: WPI/Mass Academy Team #190
Alumnus (and founder): Oakwood Robotics Team #992

"Life is an odd numbered problem the answer isn't in the back of the book." — Anonymous WPI Student

Last edited by ahecht : 03-12-2005 at 07:21 PM.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2005, 05:02 PM
no team

roboticscom13 is an unknown quantity at this point

I stand corrected. Yes we do control the robot.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2005, 07:20 PM
'Luzer'
AKA: Zan
no team

ahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond reputeahecht has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to ahecht Send a message via AIM to ahecht Send a message via Yahoo to ahecht

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboticscom13
I stand corrected. Yes we do control the robot.
Oops, major typo there. I meant "how do you control the robot", but I left a word out. Are you using one joystick for translation and another for rotation, modified tank steering, or another method?

Scorekeeper: '05 Championship DaVinci Field/'10 WPI Regional
Co-Founder: WPI-EBOT Educational Robotics Program
Alumnus: WPI/Mass Academy Team #190
Alumnus (and founder): Oakwood Robotics Team #992

"Life is an odd numbered problem the answer isn't in the back of the book." — Anonymous WPI Student
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2005, 07:26 PM
AKA: Aaron
FRC #1768 (Robo Chiefs)

Rookie Year: 2004
rocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to behold

i'm assuming team 190 has pretty much the same wheels, and when i saw them at BAe, my jaw hit the floor...they are AWESOME. My only question is, do htey make it easier to push around? also, i noticed team 190 had some trouble controlling it early on...how exactly DO you control it??
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: