OCCRA
Go to Post If robotics is bad for you, well then I guess I'm gonna die. At least I'll die happy. - karinka13 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Math and Science
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2005, 07:45 PM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute
Proving smallest surface area of cylinder is when h=2r

I need to prove that surface area A of a cylinder (of volume V) is smallest when the height, h equals twice the radius, r.

We have two equations

1. V=(pi)(r^2)(h)
2. A=2(pi)(r^2) + 2(pi)(r)(h)

Here's what I think I need to do in order to prove the smallest A occurs when h=2r. I think I need to take equation 1 and solve for h which comes out to h=V/(pi)(r^2). Then I need to substitue that in for h in equation 2. This would make equation 2 become:

A=2(pi)(r^2) + 2(pi)(r)[V/(pi)(r^2)]

Now, I know this can be simplified, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I think it would go to:

A=2(pi)(r^2) + 2V/r

Is this right? If so, what do I need to do now? I know I have to take the derivative to find the absolute minium. This is where I'm having trouble. Can someone please help? Thanks.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Support Team 696 on DonorsChoose!

Last edited by sanddrag : 03-13-2005 at 07:48 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2005, 07:50 PM
Go Bears!
FRC #1110 (Binary Bulldogs)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
Joshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Joshua May
Re: Proving smallest surface area of cylinder is when h=2r

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddrag
I need to prove that surface area A of a cylinder (of volume V) is smallest when the height, h equals twice the radius, r.

We have two equations

1. V=(pi)(r^2)(h)
2. A=2(pi)(r^2) + 2(pi)(r)(h)

Here's what I think I need to do in order to prove the smallest A occurs when h=2r. I think I need to take equation 1 and solve for h which comes out to h=V/(pi)(r^2). Then I need to substitue that in for h in equation 2. This would make equation 2 become:

A=2(pi)(r^2) + 2(pi)(r)[V/(pi)(r^2)]

Now, I know this can be simplified, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I think it would go to:

A=2(pi)(r^2) + 2V/r

Is this right? If so, what do I need to do now? I know I have to take the derivative to find the absolute minium. This is where I'm havign trouble. Can someone please help. Thanks.
I think you've got it so far.

I believe the next step to go is to find the derivative of A=2(pi)(r^2) + 2V/r, set that to zero, solve it, and do a sign test to show that this is a minimum point.

Sorry, but I haven't done optimization problems in a few months, so I might be a little rusty, but this should set you on the right track.

2005 Las Vegas Regional Autodesk Visualization Award
2005 Las Vegas Regional #8 Seeded Alliance with 988 and 1505
2006 Southern California Regional #15 seed
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2005, 08:02 PM
back to school ;-)

sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua May
I think you've got it so far.

I believe the next step to go is to find the derivative of A=2(pi)(r^2) + 2V/r, set that to zero, solve it, and do a sign test to show that this is a minimum point.
I thought that's what I do, but I'm not sure how to solve it. Please help, final is tomorrow morning!

Here's what I get for the derivative:

A'=4(pi)(r) +[(2r-2v)/(r^2)]

Is this right? If so, how do I solve it.

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2005, 08:04 PM
FRC #0383 (Brazilian Machine)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2000
Manoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Manoel Send a message via MSN to Manoel

Sanddrag,

You don't need any volume information at all. Use your second formula and take the partial derivative of A in respect to r, set it to zero and you'll achieve the desired result (except for a nasty negative sign - maybe it's irrelevant, maybe I did something wrong! ). To prove it's a minimum point, take the second partial derivative - you get a positive constant, thus, it is indeed a minimum point.
Team # 383
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2005, 08:05 PM
(Insert witty comment here)
FRC #0057 (The Leopards)

Rookie Year: 1998
Kevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Sevcik Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin Sevcik

Josh has the rest of the process right. It looks like you're going to get a 3rd order polynominial when you get dA/dr. So you should get 3 points where it equals zero. After you find the minimum, you'll have an answer for R in terms of V. You'll need to plug this back into your equation for h in terms of V and r to show that h = 2r.

Lone Star Regional Troubleshooter
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2005, 08:11 PM
FRC #0057 (The Leopards)

Kevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoel
Sanddrag,

You don't need any volume information at all. Use your second formula and take the partial derivative of A in respect to r, set it to zero and you'll achieve the desired result (except for a nasty negative sign - maybe it's irrelevant, maybe I did something wrong! ). To prove it's a minimum point, take the second partial derivative - you get a positive constant, thus, it is indeed a minimum point.
if you try deriving just the second equation, then h is a variable, and you end up with a dh/dr term that you need a value for. substituting from the volume equation gets rid of this term because V is a constant in this case.

sanddrag: V is a constant in this case since you said yourself for a given volume treat it as another number. Thus:
A' = 4*pi*r - 2*V/r^2

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2005, 08:17 PM
Greg Marra's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
[automate(a) for a in tasks_to_do]
no team (The Blue Alliance)
Team Role: RoboCoach

Rookie Year: 2005
Greg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps I'm missing something really obvious here, but...

Wouldn't the smallest surface area occur when h and r are as close to 0 as possible?

I mean, are we talking about in relation to something? In finite terms it'd seem that you can get a smaller surface area when you reduce either of those numbers...
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2005, 08:21 PM
FRC #0057 (The Leopards)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Marra
Perhaps I'm missing something really obvious here, but...

Wouldn't the smallest surface area occur when h and r are as close to 0 as possible?

I mean, are we talking about in relation to something? In finite terms it'd seem that you can get a smaller surface area when you reduce either of those numbers...
we're talking about for a fixed volume. so you can't vary things at will.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2005, 08:32 PM
FRC #0383 (Brazilian Machine)

Rookie Year: 2000
Manoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Manoel Send a message via MSN to Manoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Sevcik
if you try deriving just the second equation, then h is a variable, and you end up with a dh/dr term that you need a value for. substituting from the volume equation gets rid of this term because V is a constant in this case.
Yes, but I was taking the partial derivative, so you just consider h a constant to take the derivative (that's far from a formal mathematical statement, but I don't know the exact English terms to make it more appropriate ).
I agree that the height and the radius are constrained by the fixed volume, but I don't see how that changes my solution.
It seems Sanddrag is taking Calculus A, or I, or 101, or whatever you call it in the USA. I didn't learn about partial derivatives until Calculus II.
Team # 383
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2005, 08:33 PM
back to school ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Sevcik
sanddrag: V is a constant in this case since you said yourself for a given volume treat it as another number. Thus:
A' = 4*pi*r - 2*V/r^2
I can follow you here. The key IS to think of V as something like some random number (has a derivative of 0). Then when I set this equal to zero and solve I get 2V=4*pi*r^3. Then I substitue in pi*r^2*h for V and voila! it reduces down to 2h=r.

Thanks so much everyone!

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2005, 08:38 PM
FRC #0057 (The Leopards)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoel
Yes, but I was taking the partial derivative, so you just consider h a constant to take the derivative (that's far from a formal mathematical statement, but I don't know the exact English terms to make it more appropriate ).
I agree that the height and the radius are constrained by the fixed volume, but I don't see how that changes my solution.
It seems Sanddrag is taking Calculus A, or I, or 101, or whatever you call it in the USA. I didn't learn about partial derivatives until Calculus II.
The whole point of the problem is that h and r are varying, so you can't use a partial derivative and treat h as constant. At any rate, glad to hear you got it sanddrag. Looks like I forgot about setting A = 0 which makes it much easier to solve than I was thinking. oops.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: