OCCRA
Go to Post "Why yes, actually I AM a rocket scientist" - Gary Dillard [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#106   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2007, 07:28 PM
is all over it.
AKA: Sarah Le
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
LightWaves1636 is a splendid one to beholdLightWaves1636 is a splendid one to beholdLightWaves1636 is a splendid one to beholdLightWaves1636 is a splendid one to beholdLightWaves1636 is a splendid one to beholdLightWaves1636 is a splendid one to beholdLightWaves1636 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to LightWaves1636 Send a message via Yahoo to LightWaves1636
Re: What does your school think of robotics?

Let's see at my school, we post robotics commercials on the announcements, team members constantly talk about it, and we show up at rallies. Ask anyone who is not a part of the tech arts department they'll say "We have a robotics team?". Go figure.
FRC Team 2859 - Blasterbots - CSM Robotics Outreach - Golden, CO ('09 - '10 Coach)
FRC Team 3320 - Miracles & Machines - Eastside Memorial High School - Austin, TX ('10 - '12 Mentor)
  #107   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2007, 08:20 PM
CraigHickman

At our school, everyone thinks those on the robotics team are insane, as we drive through the quad on robots or weird carts we made.

But the staff and teachers and those who know what we actually do think we're awesome. (at least I like to think so)
  #108   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2007, 10:44 PM
Alumni, Mentor, and Coach
AKA: Eric Diehr
FRC #1716 (Redbird Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
cire is just really nicecire is just really nicecire is just really nicecire is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to cire

Our team has always had little support from the administration and the school. Last year was the first year we ever got any money from the school, about a 600$ grant out of the tech departments budget. We acuired a interested teacher 3 years ago thankfully, but the school doesnt really help him and he isnt paid for all his time running the team or anything. The school refuses to let us work past midnight and we have a hard time getting into the school on weekends or days off.

The majority of the school (about 2800 students) does not even know the team exists. We are just another name on the list of about 50 "clubs" the team has. Our school is sports / arts based and the majority of school support goes to the music and sports teams. The football team got a new million dollar rubber grass football field and the whole school had to go to a assembly to learn about it, but the school doesnt even have supplies in lots of class rooms and lots of busted old text books.

Students think of us as nerds and wouldnt ever associate themselfs with us, even though they have no idea what we are. I must say the entire school was quite impressed last year when we drove our robot onto stage and fired balls accross the stage. You could see the entire school jump back as it turned towards them haha
  #109   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2007, 12:11 AM
AKA: Jacob Komar
no team

whytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond reputewhytheheckme has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to whytheheckme Send a message via AIM to whytheheckme Send a message via MSN to whytheheckme Send a message via Yahoo to whytheheckme Send a message via Skype™ to whytheheckme

About 15-20% of our school participates on our FIRST team (ok, ok, our school only has 300 students...), but this is still a large number. Everyone knows at least that we have a robotics team, and most kids know about the competition. Luckily, we are widely suppored by our administration and faculty/staff, seeing that we are a school for Science and Engineering. I'm not sure exactly what the situation is at the American School for the Deaf (our partner school), but all of the Administrators/Faculty that I know there are in great support of the team.

Jacob
  #110   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2007, 02:32 PM
A VEX GUy WIth A STicky SHift KEy
VRC #0010 (Exothermic Robotics)

Rick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond repute

Null! We started an Explorer Post and meet at our sponsor's offices. Who needs a school?
  #111   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2007, 02:55 PM
The Walking CPU
FRC #1856 (GEARHEADS)
Team Role: Webmaster

Rookie Year: 2007
ZackCraig will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: What does your school think of robotics?

Our school wants to be apart of the team. We are some of the hypest peepz in hea
  #112   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2007, 03:03 PM
Supern00b
FRC #1713 (K-Island-Gears)
Team Role: Webmaster

Rookie Year: 2006
wolfj has a spectacular aura aboutwolfj has a spectacular aura aboutwolfj has a spectacular aura about

It's been incredible. I remember in October 2005, when the team started, there was a lot of "Robotics? Who would join that?" Now, it's the exact opposite. Team 1713 has become such a source of school pride. It's just great.
  #113   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2007, 03:24 PM
FRC #0340 (G.R.R.)

Joohoo is just really niceJoohoo is just really niceJoohoo is just really niceJoohoo is just really niceJoohoo is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Joohoo Send a message via Yahoo to Joohoo

In our school there are those who have no idea about us, a large portion though does know and is curiours about what we do. the same thing can be said about any club. There will always be those who think all we do is a bunch of "Black Magic" and weird club that lives in the technology wing.
  #114   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2007, 03:35 PM
AKA: Kristine
FRC #0126 (Gael Force & Buzz Robotics)

Rookie Year: 1997
katiyeh07 has much to be proud ofkatiyeh07 has much to be proud ofkatiyeh07 has much to be proud ofkatiyeh07 has much to be proud ofkatiyeh07 has much to be proud ofkatiyeh07 has much to be proud ofkatiyeh07 has much to be proud ofkatiyeh07 has much to be proud ofkatiyeh07 has much to be proud of

When confronting out principal about the lack of support he told me

"I can't be everywhere at once..."

and so I said

"Well...you could've stopped down during our six week build season once or twice. A few teachers stopped down during vacation, I saw your car at the school, but I didn't see you come down to the shop."

and so he says

"Well, you don't see me attend basketball practice do you?"

at which point I almost lunged across the table to knock his teeth out.

Then I argued the point of how can you be more supportive of the basketball team. I asked him how many kids do you think will go on to the pro's from our athletic teams (note that all of our fields got shut down due to the fact that we have illegal pestisides in the soil) and he says none.

It's frustrating that our school isn't supportive of one of the most successful programs it has going that gives their students jobs at corporate companies.

But we did make a few small steps this year...we got some of our banners hung up along side the athletic banners in our gym and we have one of the better display cases in the school. But it's still not the support we're looking for.

Maybe next year it'll be better...
  #115   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2007, 04:07 PM
Whoa! college pilot.
AKA: vivek
FRC #2264 (trojan robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

vivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond reputevivek16 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to vivek16 Send a message via MSN to vivek16

^ yep i definetly know how you feel.
like i said before, the only thing i hate is the lack of participation by the students. we have it pretty good other wise. oh and a little more recognition would be nice too.
  #116   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2007, 04:25 PM
FRC #1717 (D'Penguineers)
Team Role: Leadership

EmilioM is a name known to allEmilioM is a name known to allEmilioM is a name known to allEmilioM is a name known to allEmilioM is a name known to allEmilioM is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to EmilioM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek16 View Post
oh and a little more recognition would be nice too.
Well... As far as recognition goes, take that into your own hands. Email/contact your local newspaper/radio/tv plugs and solicit your robot/program. Most media outlets enjoy having people come to them with stories and will most likely jump at the opportunity to do a piece on you if you sell yourselves well enough. We did so just after arriving home from SD, our second of two competitions, and we now have two local newspapers in line to write articles on us.

Once your school/community sees this recognition, you may just have a little bit more support

2007 San Diego Finalist
2007 San Diego Imagery Award
2007 Los Angeles Semi-Finalist
2006 Los Angeles Rookie All-Star
2006 Arizona Semi-Finalist
2006 Arizona Rookie Inspiration
  #117   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Krista
AKA: Krista or kthimm1
FRC #0104 (Team Universal)

mastermind12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mastermind12 Send a message via MSN to mastermind12 Send a message via Yahoo to mastermind12

Most of my friends think I am a geek for being in robotics. Those same people think I am crazy for spending most of my time at school. A couple of my friends think its cool and want to give it a try which are the friends I met this year. Our principal as far as I know has never come down to see what we do. Its like they don't even know we exist.
  #118   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Sunny
FRC #5283

ttldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond repute

My school doesn't think that robotics is the coolest thing in the world. But usually we get props from the administrators.
  #119   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2008, 01:32 PM
That's Madam President, actually
AKA: Sarah
FRC #1539 (Blue Eagle Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Nin_estarSaerah is just really niceNin_estarSaerah is just really niceNin_estarSaerah is just really niceNin_estarSaerah is just really niceNin_estarSaerah is just really nice

we have finnally gotten over the "we have a robotics team?" response, but we seem to be in much the same categorey as the math team and the science club, the nerds. even some of our own team members consider it negatively as a nerdy activity. one of the freshmen admitted he doesnt tell anyone he is in robotics because it is for geeks. that makes me sad. FIRST is my life.
  #120   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nin_estarSaerah View Post
one of the freshmen admitted he doesnt tell anyone he is in robotics because it is for geeks.
Does your teammate read ChiefDelphi?
If he doesn't, pick out some of your favorite posts or threads and share them with him. Give him some names of FIRSTers that post here, like Andy Baker, and have him search some of their posts and see the world of robotics and FIRST through their eyes. CD is a great place for geeks to get their footing and figure out just how cool they really are.

Being smart and wanting to make a difference in this world is something to be very proud of. It's also something to have fun with.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 05-13-2008 at 01:58 PM. Reason: added the fun part

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: