OCCRA
Go to Post Dear GDC, You are awesome. From, the Chief Delphi folks. - bam-bam [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#121   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2008, 06:35 PM
FRC #0587 (The Hedgehogs)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2006
Laura_587 is on a distinguished road
Re: What does your school think of robotics?

Our school has never been very supportive, and we normally get the "robotics" response (especially some of my friends). But we got a new principle this year, and he's more supportive. He even came to VCU. And my soccer team is stilll reeling over the fact that I skipped prom to go to Atlanta, but they're respose is "okay, have fun" (which I did). And anyways, I've always been weird in a nerdy sort of way.
  #122   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2008, 06:55 PM
AKA: Hannah
FRC #2415 (Wiredcats)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2007
Shmee is an unknown quantity at this point

Our school is sort-of supportive. Like the principal and admin and people like us, but the team itself is considered rather nerdy and we literally lose people because of our captains.

Sadly, we haven't done much to actually get anyone to like the Robotics Team, even though this was our rookie year...we only had an assembly before the high school (800-ish people) and then everyone hated us because we took so long. We get a little money, but we have to fix our colours, from black and neon green to white and green (official colours) if we want to keep on getting money for next year.
  #123   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2008, 07:28 PM
AKA: Sahar
FRC #1717 (D'Penguineers)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2008
SEA is an unknown quantity at this point

Our school is very supportive of robotics. Each year, we do a school wide presentation to show off the robot, and everyone loves that. When we present, our message isn't "I know this is nerdy and weird, but see how cool it can be..." but is "This is super awesome, I love it!" and the enthusiasm spreads. Since we share a classroom with the video productions class, we get a lot of coverage from them on the school's video bulletin.

Also, we brought two school buses of people from our school and our feeder junior high to the Los Angeles Competition this year, and they all had a blast and it gave them a sense of how big the competition and FIRST actually is.

Our principle wasn't really supportive until we began doing well, but now he is really into it and came to watch us put the finishing touches on the robot the morning before shipping.

TEAM 1717 D'Penguineers: Class of 2008
San Diego Regional Champions--Thanks 968 and 294!!
Los Angeles Regional Champions--Thanks 330 and 980!!
Galileo Finalists--Thanks 254 and 384!!
  #124   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2008, 08:54 PM
AKA: Ryan Julian
FRC #0233 (The Pink Team)
Team Role: Alumni

notaPINKtruck is a splendid one to beholdnotaPINKtruck is a splendid one to beholdnotaPINKtruck is a splendid one to beholdnotaPINKtruck is a splendid one to beholdnotaPINKtruck is a splendid one to beholdnotaPINKtruck is a splendid one to beholdnotaPINKtruck is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to notaPINKtruck

They don't.

Rockledge HS/Cocoa Beach HS & NASA Kennedy Space Center
Team 233: "The PINK Team"

#125   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Sunny
FRC #5283
Team Role: Mentor

ttldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond reputettldomination has a reputation beyond repute

Our school allows us plenty of space to show off our robot and demos and event nights and stuff...but reputation wise...pfft...forget it.

Come on PINK...someone's gotta care....
  #126   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Needs a taller Driver's Station.
AKA: Dustin Benedict
no team (EWCP, Mid-Atlantic Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
thefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond reputethefro526 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to thefro526 Send a message via MSN to thefro526

Our school doesn't really know much about our robotics team. We have a bulletin board and stuff but no one's ever really made an effort to reach out to anyone except incoming freshman. Then again our schools not too accepting towards anyone that's smart either...
2014 Season - Hatboro Horsham District Winners, MAR Championship Winners, Newton Division Finalists.
  #127   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Good old Parker
AKA: Michael
FRC #0233 (The Pink Team)
Team Role: Driver

hoorayforpink is a splendid one to beholdhoorayforpink is a splendid one to beholdhoorayforpink is a splendid one to beholdhoorayforpink is a splendid one to beholdhoorayforpink is a splendid one to beholdhoorayforpink is a splendid one to beholdhoorayforpink is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to hoorayforpink

Quote:
Originally Posted by notaPINKtruck View Post
They don't.
Well thats only partially true. At Cocoa Beach where Ryan goes the kids get in trouble for having the pink hair and are from what i hear given a tough time about robotics from the administration.

At Rockledge (where I go) the administration loves it when we dye our hair pink and they had a special pink day at school when we got back form Atlanta. Not that any of the kids really took any notice but still it was pretty nice. The principal is always letting us go do demos and such during school which is pretty awesome. In fact I'm missing 4th period tomorrow so I can demo 2k6 during all the lunches. The kids themselves don't really look down on us as nerds or geeks, if only because we've been doing pretty good lately, and we have such a large and diverse team as far as who people hang out with. Our team is pretty well networked in Rockledge at least.
2008 Hawaii Champs with 254 and 2454
2007 Archimedes champion and World Finalists thanks to 71 and 179
2008 TNT Champs thanks to 744 and 1999

Think Poofs
  #128   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2008, 09:45 PM
Code Monkey
AKA: David Weitz
FRC #0177 (Bobcats)

Ctrl Alt Delete is a splendid one to beholdCtrl Alt Delete is a splendid one to beholdCtrl Alt Delete is a splendid one to beholdCtrl Alt Delete is a splendid one to beholdCtrl Alt Delete is a splendid one to beholdCtrl Alt Delete is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Ctrl Alt Delete Send a message via MSN to Ctrl Alt Delete Send a message via Skype™ to Ctrl Alt Delete

Our school doesn't do much. I think besides our National Championship run and the three banners hanging in our "pendulum area" (which has no actual pendulum, just the space for one), they don't really acknowledge us. A little bit of money would be nice, but the school basically just give us a room and that's it.

Life lessons learned at robot:
1.) Never take apart power strips
2.) Sleep is required, but not essential to survival

Failure to abide by these lessons will result in headaches...and flaming pants.

"Here at Bobcat Robotics, we pride ourselves in having 60-table MySQL databases, girlfriend cookies, and a vinyl cutter." -Chris Jelly
  #129   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2008, 09:57 PM
FRC #1554

lingomaniac88 has much to be proud oflingomaniac88 has much to be proud oflingomaniac88 has much to be proud oflingomaniac88 has much to be proud oflingomaniac88 has much to be proud oflingomaniac88 has much to be proud oflingomaniac88 has much to be proud oflingomaniac88 has much to be proud of

Unfortunately, our team isn't too well-known around the school.

My school's teachers aren't too thrilled about kids taking field trips (a.k.a. going to a regional event) because it "disrupts learning time." Then again, I don't think they know what FIRST is really about, nor do they know we even have a robotics team. I think that if people really knew what we do and what FIRST is, we would get a lot of support.
  #130   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2008, 10:47 PM
AKA: "DOS"
FRC #2399 (The Fighting Unicorns)

usbcd36 is a jewel in the roughusbcd36 is a jewel in the roughusbcd36 is a jewel in the rough

We do get some support from the school, but not nearly as much as we'd like. Our advisor is very enthusiastic, and gave up coaching basketball to spend more time with us. If it were not for him, we wouldn't have had much of anything this year, especially since his van was our main means of transporting the robot to working locations. Also, the principal and a few of the math teachers don't have as much time to donate, but they do what they can (including loan money to the team to pay for the kit). The rest of the school doesn't care nearly as much. The robot does turn heads when we roll it down the halls on our cart, but people who aren't members of the team rarely show a lasting interest. One of my friends (who also happens to be the captain of the robotics team) noted the fact that the school puts more of an emphasis on liberal arts than math and science, and that might be a reason for the lack of general interest in the robotics team. I think the school would care more about robotics if there were more students who were more involved.

Personally, I'm frustrated that the school was able to spend a few million dollars on remodeling our media center (which could have ended up a full order of magnitude better, had they put a little more thought into it), yet they haven't officially given us any money.

Last edited by usbcd36 : 05-13-2008 at 11:00 PM.
  #131   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-13-2008, 10:55 PM
FRC #0987 (High Rollers)
Team Role: Human Player

Rookie Year: 2008
BT987 has a spectacular aura aboutBT987 has a spectacular aura about

ha i was just talking to my buddy on the team about this

at our school we get alot of support we do demos at lunch and drive at the assembleys.

and for anyone who thinks its nerdy i just tell them we had our schools cheerleaders at the vegas competition ....and they loved it

-2008 IRI Champs(330,67,68)
-2008 Arch. finalists
-2008 Vegas winners(39 an 1013)
-2008 Vegas chairmans winners

-2007 World Champions! thanks to 190 and 177
-2007 Vegas Finalist

http://www.team987.com/

#132   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2008, 10:10 AM
The Crazy Blonde
AKA: Cassie
FRC #0103 (Cybersonics)

Rookie Year: 1997
Dancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Dancin103

I don't mean to brag here (I'm just answering the post). Our school loves robotics. They have been bitten by the FIRST bug. Our school has graciously built us our own building which houses a full sized playing field, they pay for all of our regional entrance fees, and our school got a National Blue Ribbon Award for excellence for having robotics. As well our administrators come to all of the competitions. And I thank them for all of this!

Cass

2010 Florida Regional Woodie Flowers Award - Cathy Beck
2011 Florida Regional Woodie Flowers Award - Jack Tusman
  #133   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2008, 10:50 AM
AKA: Merlin and/or MILKY
FRC #0440 (The Suspects)

Suspect_Deezy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Suspect_Deezy

our principal and the teachers are the only ones who really show us love.

My Baseball Coach Kicked me off the team because i missed practices during build season and i missed 4 games that we lost for regionals.

the kids in the school don't really know what robotics is, they just know that we're nerds. and as far as im concerned,..... being a nerd is way cooler than being cool!

#134   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2008, 07:30 PM
AKA: megan
FRC #0234 (CyberBlue234)
Team Role: Student

234smidget will become famous soon enough

Our team has respect at our school but A LOT of student still call us nerds. It is cool though because some students admit they would never be able to build or do what we do.

Our team is pretty normal. You have those misfits but we are one big happy family!
  #135   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2008, 08:04 PM
That guy
AKA: Dennis
no team (None this season)

Rookie Year: 2004
DarkFlame145 has much to be proud ofDarkFlame145 has much to be proud ofDarkFlame145 has much to be proud ofDarkFlame145 has much to be proud ofDarkFlame145 has much to be proud ofDarkFlame145 has much to be proud ofDarkFlame145 has much to be proud ofDarkFlame145 has much to be proud ofDarkFlame145 has much to be proud ofDarkFlame145 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to DarkFlame145

I'm the only student on 145 from my school. I can keep talking and telling them about FIRST, but they will still look at me like im from Mars. I'm doing a demo with a mentor, trying to gain interest in students and teachers.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: