OCCRA
Go to Post We always cut our parts to a tolerance of /- the width of that particular sharpie mark. - Whippet [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2005, 12:47 PM
None #0702 (Bagel Bytes)
Team Role: Programmer

roberthan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to roberthan
Wink Re: 101 Things I Wish I'd Known Before My First FIRST Tournament

here is couple more
  • you can NEVER finish your robot too early
  • AlWAYS give your programers alot of time to test, if you want a reliable code and robot
  • if the code don't work, check the robot(eps. wiring, sensors) as well as your code
  • plan out everything before you start
  • make sure the radio is plugged in before every match
  • and AT LEAST test your autonomous code once, no matter in however a big of rush you're in
  #47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2005, 03:54 PM
thinks Allison Babcock & 1747 ROCK!
AKA: goosefrom71
FRC #1747 (Harrison Boiler Robotics/ Team Hammond)

Rookie Year: 2002
Elyse Holguin has much to be proud ofElyse Holguin has much to be proud ofElyse Holguin has much to be proud ofElyse Holguin has much to be proud ofElyse Holguin has much to be proud ofElyse Holguin has much to be proud ofElyse Holguin has much to be proud ofElyse Holguin has much to be proud ofElyse Holguin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Elyse Holguin
Re: 101 Things I Wish I'd Known Before My First FIRST Tournament

er i think the count was lost, but still:
  • Don't run from a judge, it looks bad for your team (but I'm sure I did my first regional)
  • On a similar note, judges aren't scary people, and after 6 weeks you'll be surprised at how much you can actually tell them about your robot. They'll love it, especially if you're not on pit crew.
  • Have a mock-judge practice day where you can talk as a team about some things you can tell a judge if you are approached.
  • Don't forget your Mountain Dew/ Pepsi/ Caffeine pills/ Sugar.
  • If your robot has moving appendages that could possibly be at head level, don't under any circumstances get too close to the bot if it's on. (unless you, like me, are barely 5 feet tall and are never at risk for it hitting you.)
Rookie All-Star- Boilermaker- 2006
Technokats' Spirit of Indiana Award- IRI- 2006
Congrats to Allison Babcock- WFA St. Louis Regional!!

Former Member of Team Hammond 71: 2002-2004 +2001 CDI
Former Mentor for Team 1747: 2006
  #48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-10-2006, 09:21 AM
A VEX GUy WIth A STicky SHift KEy
VRC #0010 (Exothermic Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
Rick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to immodestly bump this thread from last season. I think it contains some really good advice, especially for rookie teams.
  #49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-10-2006, 09:41 AM
Sinecured Grand Poobah
AKA: Paul Dennis
FRC #1719 (The Umbrella Corp)
Team Role: College Student

aaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick TYler
I want to write the document referenced in the title of this thread. I don't think I have 101 of my own ideas, so I'll start and let any interested parts of the hivemind chime in.

7. Adults should keep their hands in their pockets when work needs to be done.

8. Get out of your pits and meet other teams. Otherwise, you might as well watch a Webcast.
In response to seven, as a rookie team, this is an issue we are facing. The following happened at our sunday meet:

After 2 hours of group discussions (everyone who showed up) the mentors went into the next room and decided that we would be building a corner scorer, not giving the kids a choice (though the kids would have voted for it anyway, as none of the mentors recommended a shooter). I wrote a long e-mail to my team detailing why that was a mistake.

So my question is, sure kids should listen to mentors, but aren't there going to be some times when adults need to do things (such as dangerous machining, electrical stuff?)? For example, noone on our team has learned CAD (unfortuneately). We had plans to learn it, but the software came about 1 1/2 months later than expected.

And #8 is just great =)
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-10-2006, 09:53 AM
A VEX GUy WIth A STicky SHift KEy
VRC #0010 (Exothermic Robotics)

Rick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaeamdar
In response to seven, as a rookie team, this is an issue we are facing.
Paul, this is a great topic. Why not start a thread just for this, so the "101 things" thread doesn't get off-track? Thanks!
  #51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Reject False Icons
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute

You WILL loose your voice.

Hunger and thirst will disappear, but continue to eat and drink in normal intervals. Don't over/under eat.

Wash those hands! Don't get sick!

Bring eye glass wash to the competitions to keep those safety glasses clean!
  #52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-10-2006, 10:24 AM
AKA: Mike Jacobs
FRC #0131 (CHAOS)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
Netrilix is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Netrilix

This is something I learned the hard way at my first event (BattleCry @ WPI)...

-Don't run down steep bleachers carrying 80 lbs of luggage and computer equiptment, because spraining your ankle less than three minutes into your first-ever FIRST event is not all that fun.
  #53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-10-2006, 01:31 PM
Professional Gamer
FRC #0093 (N.E.W. Apple Corps.)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
Aburame Shino will become famous soon enoughAburame Shino will become famous soon enough

I'm saying this one from a couple experiences of mine.

*Get plenty of sleep before the events. I ended up falling asleep during the Boilermaker Regional last year and ended up missing lunch and one of our matches, and at West Michigan I almost missed the bus because I slept in.

Chat with other people visiting the website you're on! Install yakalike today! (Firefox only)
  #54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-10-2006, 02:11 PM
Bye RoboDox & LVHS. It was great!
no team
Team Role: Engineer

indieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond reputeindieFan has a reputation beyond repute

Bring white boards and markers. My team has done this since the first year we were competing. We use them to go over strategy with other teams, as well as to post when our matches are, with what teams, against what teams, and what color our alliance is.
  #55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
people expediter on Team Kluge
AKA: Jenny Beatty, no relation
no team (they are all my teams)

Rookie Year: 2002
RoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=aaeamdar]
So my question is, sure kids should listen to mentors, but aren't there going to be some times when adults need to do things (such as dangerous machining, electrical stuff?)?
[quote]

Yes. There is no blueprint for how a team is formed and run.
The key to FIRST's success is the work of over 25,000 volunteer mentors, professional engineers, teachers, and other adults working with students .

Communication is what this is about.

Back to the list.... (might want to check out "18 hints for rookie teams from NEMO" in the white papers)

Lots of mentors and other adults read as well as post on chief delphi.
-Judges read chief delphi.
-Every individual post reflects back on your team.
-Judges really want to know about your team, your robot, your business plan, etc. Help them. Lots of hints on this in other posts.
This is How I Work: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2862

Last edited by RoboMom : 01-10-2006 at 02:20 PM.
  #56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Robot? We need a robot?
AKA: Brian Rak
None #0230 (Gaelhawks)
Team Role: Programmer

devicenull is just really nicedevicenull is just really nicedevicenull is just really nicedevicenull is just really nicedevicenull is just really nice

>Drink lots of water (It's amazing how everyone can say this now, but I'll still forget)
>Those little foam earplugs are nice (They get rid of the loud noises, but you can still hear people talking to you)
>If the code worked during practice, check hardware before the code
>Get cell phone numbers of as many people on your team as possible. Put these on a small list and distribute to your team.

This shouldn't be something you have to worry about, but: When using free wireless internet, everything you send can be intercepted (Unless the site is https). Again, you shouldn't have to worry about this.. not at a FIRST event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDC
If the RC is mounted in such a way that field personnel must be contorted, bent, folded, spindled or mutilated in order to see the RC, then the RC must be relocated.
  #57   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-10-2006, 05:55 PM
Financial Engineer
no team (Robot Yacht Club)

Conor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond repute

When going to a competition Venue, Travel Light, at least with personal items. If you can leave your coats in the bus/car/van/practice robot. Take only what you must have, Notebook, Pen/Pencil, Camera (Digital preferable), Wallet, Water Bottle (say good bye to your voice) and Laptop if needed. Other than that you won't need other personal items (leave your food in the car, run out and get it at lunch time)
  #58   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2006, 09:38 PM
FSN Cor. Det/Pal 2006
AKA: Micro3000x
FRC #0818 (Steel Armadillos/Genesis '02)
Team Role: Leadership

Tomasz Bania has a spectacular aura aboutTomasz Bania has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Tomasz Bania Send a message via MSN to Tomasz Bania
Smile Re: 101 Things I Wish I'd Known Before My First FIRST Tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor Ryan
When going to a competition Venue, Travel Light, at least with personal items. If you can leave your coats in the bus/car/van/practice robot. Take only what you must have, Notebook, Pen/Pencil, Camera (Digital preferable), Wallet, Water Bottle (say good bye to your voice) and Laptop if needed. Other than that you won't need other personal items (leave your food in the car, run out and get it at lunch time)
Those are probably the best things anyone can do (I sort of disagree on the food part, expecially at the Detroit Regional where you might have to park about a mile away). Now I'm not saying that that will happen, but if there is another big event at the same time, Don't be surprised!

P.S. Where is the link to the website that had all these things listed?
  #59   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2006, 10:15 PM
125 Member, cause Brando says so :p
FRC #0125 (NUTRONS)
Team Role: Engineer

Kim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kim Masi

-dont let the engineers completely design and build the robot
-let the whole team get involved in the planning and building process
-understand how to use a machine properly and safely before using it (mangled fingers...not fun)
-remember that everyone's opinion matters
-dont wait until the thursday of your first regional to install 2 speed gear boxes
-always read the updates on the FIRST website
-take advantage of all the amazing things CD has to offer
  #60   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-15-2006, 04:15 AM
VirginiaFIRST Technical Director
AKA: Matthew Glennon
FRC #1610 (Builders of Tomorrow)

fnsnet is a splendid one to beholdfnsnet is a splendid one to beholdfnsnet is a splendid one to beholdfnsnet is a splendid one to beholdfnsnet is a splendid one to beholdfnsnet is a splendid one to beholdfnsnet is a splendid one to behold

NEVER FALL ASLEEP AT A FIRST COMPETITION (PICTURES! )

Continue to participate in FIRST after high school (mentor/volunteer)
Don't assume you can eat lunch at Subway (VCU).. everyone else thought the same thing.

Current Volunteer Roles:
Team 1610: Mentor, Sponsor
VCU: FTAA
Championship: Field Supervisor (Curie)

Last edited by fnsnet : 01-15-2006 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Spell Check...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: