OCCRA
Go to Post "It's not child labor if they wear a team shirt!" - Vermeulen [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #76   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-26-2006, 09:43 PM
Got my degree and ready for more!
AKA: Dan
FRC #0166 (Chop Shop)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
InfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond reputeInfernoX14 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 101 Things I Wish I'd Known Before My First FIRST Tournament

Bring earplugs of some sort. It gets VERY loud.
  #77   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-26-2006, 10:15 PM
VirginiaFIRST Technical Director
AKA: Matthew Glennon
FRC #1610 (Builders of Tomorrow)

Rookie Year: 2001
fnsnet is a splendid one to beholdfnsnet is a splendid one to beholdfnsnet is a splendid one to beholdfnsnet is a splendid one to beholdfnsnet is a splendid one to beholdfnsnet is a splendid one to beholdfnsnet is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycpunk
spend the extra money to get yourself a comfortable pair of safety glasses that wont give you a headache if worn for 3 days straight (there is a reason why people wear them on their heads, because they are either uncomfortable or put their eyes out of focus and gives them a headache)

I'm gonna get some slack for this but

remember not even coke, Pepsi, mountain dew, sprite, bawls, jolt cola, your caffeine drink of choice or even pure speed is a comparable replacement for good ol' cowboy coffee (coffee brewed blacker than you have ever seen, left hot in the machine all night, cooled then microwaved and drunk without any milk or sugar)
mmmm.. cowboy coffee..

Current Volunteer Roles:
Team 1610: Mentor, Sponsor
VCU: FTAA
Championship: Field Supervisor (Curie)
  #78   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-25-2006, 10:19 AM
Little Pam
AKA: Tiffers
FRC #0166 (Chop Shop)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 1996
EvilMonkyPirate is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to EvilMonkyPirate

[quote=fnsnet]NEVER FALL ASLEEP AT A FIRST COMPETITION (PICTURES! )QUOTE]

I fell asleep at competitions all the time when I was younger.(I have 3 older siblings who did FIRST before me.) But since I've joined the team I've only fell asleep at one. We have pictures of it somewhere. But for a school project I had to carry around a baby doll that cryed all weekend. Which if you ever have to do that. Don't pick a FIRST filled weekend, you'll need more sleep then the kid gives you. It fell asleep at River Rage this year and I fell asleep a few miutes later. Blechers I must say, aren't all that comfy.

as for things you should know...

*Don't bring a fake baby to competitions, people think the thing is real and give you dirty looks especially if most people around you in FIRST know your entire family.

*Sleep is key...remember that always.

*Friends in FIRST become family throughout life. The bigger your family the more fun FIRST will be for you.

*The robot is important but remember that cheering for your robot is even more.

GSR: Ranked 16th out of 46.

Just tell your drive team you were too high to win the match.
|F|I|R|S|T|
My Anti-Drug

Last edited by EvilMonkyPirate : 11-25-2006 at 10:26 AM.
  #79   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-25-2006, 11:29 AM
FRC #0148
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Jay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry, everyone forgets #33 one time in their FIRST career.

You WILL become addicted.

Christmas gifts will soon become plane tickets to Atlanta instead of PS3's

Going to extra regionals to watch is NEVER a bad thing.

Your second year in FIRST is your first year as a mentor. Always be open and willing to teach any skills or knowledge you have.

JT
Alumnus - Theta Tau, Mu Gamma Chapter
  #80   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Survived year 1–year 2 comes quick!
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron); FLL #7016/7017 (Garnet Squadron Alfa/Bravo)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

One that I just thought of from thinking back:

Wear jeans, but bring shorts.

There's truth to this statement: I was field coach this year at Palmetto, and I had my jeans on. I was absolutely dying on Friday from the heat of competition (and the heat of the stage lighting on the field), so during the lunch break I ran back to my room, luckily right by where we had lunch, threw on the first clean pair of shorts I could find, and started walking back to the Colonial Center. Granted, this almost made me late for our match--we were the first after lunch--but I was much more comfortable afterward.
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV (51,569.9 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #81   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-29-2006, 07:26 AM
Fire Rescue 47
AKA: Kyle Dersch
FRC #1023 (Bedford Express)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2005
KTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KTorak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfred
One that I just thought of from thinking back:

Wear jeans, but bring shorts.

There's truth to this statement: I was field coach this year at Palmetto, and I had my jeans on. I was absolutely dying on Friday from the heat of competition (and the heat of the stage lighting on the field), so during the lunch break I ran back to my room, luckily right by where we had lunch, threw on the first clean pair of shorts I could find, and started walking back to the Colonial Center. Granted, this almost made me late for our match--we were the first after lunch--but I was much more comfortable afterward.
Very true. It may have been freezing at GLR outside, but Me, the other driver, and the coach all wore shirts inside the competition becuase we couldnt stand beingin pants and dying on the field.
2006 Bedford Express Driver, Build Team Member, & Board of Directors
2005 Bedford Express Rookie, Build Team Member & Robot Operator
-
2008 - GLR Quarter Finalist
2007 - GLR Finalist & Boilermaker Finalist & MARC Off Season Event Winner
2006 - GLR Johnson & Johnson Sportsmanship Award & Archimedes 7th Seed Quarter Finalist
2005 - GLR Finalist & Judges Award.
2004 - GLR Semi Finalist.
2003 - GLR/DTR Quarter Finalist & GLR/NAT'L Rookie All Star.
  #82   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-29-2006, 09:35 AM
Rack & Roll, baby!
FRC #1646 (Precision Guessworks)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2006
Eric W. Jones will become famous soon enoughEric W. Jones will become famous soon enough

-The robot is never really done until the end of your last competition

This was especially true for 1646 last season. It looked like a different robot at Atalanta from the one we unveiled at the open house at the end of the build season.

-Expect everything to break on the robot at least once

three competitions, seven omni wheels.
2006 IRI

2007 Boilermaker Regional
2007 St. Louis Regional
2007 Finals (hopefully )
2007 IRI

Why, yes. I do know what I'm doing!
  #83   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-29-2006, 01:38 PM
"Dude, I Know this Stuff!"
AKA: Sagar
FRC #1694 (Dr. Phillips Tech)
Team Role: Electrical

i like dirt will become famous soon enoughi like dirt will become famous soon enough

-Always expect the unexpected
  #84   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2006, 10:03 AM
Rack & Roll, baby!
FRC #1646 (Precision Guessworks)
Team Role: Programmer

Eric W. Jones will become famous soon enoughEric W. Jones will become famous soon enough

-never, ever count anyone out, especially based on their placing

we were third or fourth from last at nationals and were picked for finals (even though we were eliminated in the first match)
2006 IRI

2007 Boilermaker Regional
2007 St. Louis Regional
2007 Finals (hopefully )
2007 IRI

Why, yes. I do know what I'm doing!
  #85   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2006, 09:00 PM
AKA: Justin
FRC #0624 (CRyptonite)
Team Role: Engineer

Redo91 will become famous soon enoughRedo91 will become famous soon enough

finish your robot BEFORE you ship it, not in the morning before the competition

Team 624-CRyptonite
Mentor 2014-
  #86   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-26-2006, 03:45 PM
A member of many teams...
AKA: Katie Hall
FRC #0537
Team Role: College Student

hallk has much to be proud ofhallk has much to be proud ofhallk has much to be proud ofhallk has much to be proud ofhallk has much to be proud ofhallk has much to be proud ofhallk has much to be proud ofhallk has much to be proud ofhallk has much to be proud ofhallk has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to hallk

you can never have enough zip ties

bring a dry earse board- nice to cheap track of matches, to do lists, who you borrowed from/loaned tools to

mulitples of tools-makes work go much faster
  #87   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-26-2006, 03:53 PM
Christian group in FIRST? Ideas?
FRC #1126 (SparX)
Team Role: Tactician

Dylan Gramlich has a reputation beyond reputeDylan Gramlich has a reputation beyond reputeDylan Gramlich has a reputation beyond reputeDylan Gramlich has a reputation beyond reputeDylan Gramlich has a reputation beyond reputeDylan Gramlich has a reputation beyond reputeDylan Gramlich has a reputation beyond reputeDylan Gramlich has a reputation beyond reputeDylan Gramlich has a reputation beyond reputeDylan Gramlich has a reputation beyond reputeDylan Gramlich has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Dylan Gramlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallk View Post
you can never have enough zip ties

bring a dry earse board- nice to cheap track of matches, to do lists, who you borrowed from/loaned tools to

mulitples of tools-makes work go much faster
whiteboards are also great for strategy and planning out matches! we have found this effective for 2-3 years now and that way u can refresh peoples memories before a match on what everyone is doing.
  #88   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-27-2006, 07:18 AM
It isnt about bots,its about humans
AKA: Liron Gurvitz
FRC #3211 (The Y Team)

Tottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: 101 Things I Wish I'd Known Before My First FIRST Tournament

* When (and im saying when cause i know it will happen) youll stay for the night in your workshop testing and building the bot, make sure u got FOOD and COFFEE, you might actually suddenly notice u r starving to death...

*if the game item is a ball or something' u cant NOT play with it' just watch out hitting others precious stuff...u dont want any conflicts in your team ...

*DAve Lavery is massing with your head, but he must be taken seriously, evry word of his might be a lue that changes your machine...

*Be exposed to as many sides of FIRST as you can..if ur a programmer' u can be in the Chairman work part of your team in before the bot is ready, or before the team has any idea what it needs of you

*Remember' as friendly FIRST Competitions are, its still a game, and the other side wants to be a winner just as much as you do, adn just like you, they will do everything for it...

*Life is a game of chess' always look a few steps forward' and never be surprised, that the way of a true champ...

*Help others as much as u would like to recieve help from others..

*Girls are smarter then boys (and im a boy saying that).

* Never ever let a high school female student BUILD your robot, women are there to give orders to us, slaves...

*HAve your team organized well, many different parts like: Program team' Building, Webby, Public Relations, ANimation,. Each one of those must have a leader, and they all have to be organized together. A good FRC team is actually a small bussiness.

* People, no metter how uneducated they might be' will always find your machine intersesting, and will always ask questions u dont expext them (quote: "What on earth is that thing?"; "That's a robot?";"What's a robot?":"hm..erm...how do i anwer this question????"
2014 Judges Award
Founder of teams 1947 and 2669
My FRC record: 9 Years, twice FTA, 4 Teams and counting. 78 wins, 44 losses, 5 ties as coach.
  #89   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2007, 06:07 PM
A VEX GUy WIth A STicky SHift KEy
VRC #0010 (Exothermic Robotics)

Rick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond repute

A week of testing is more important than a week spent cramming one last feature into your robot.
  #90   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Grow Up? Why?
FRC #0610

Steve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure that your batteries are :
1 - Charged
2 - fastened securely
3 - plugged in

and most of all, that your robot is turned on!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: