Go to Post Is it weird we think speed controllers are sexy? - vivek16 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#121   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Test Engineer
AKA: Marshal Horn
FRC #3213 (Thunder Tech)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
kamocat is just really nicekamocat is just really nicekamocat is just really nicekamocat is just really nicekamocat is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to kamocat Send a message via MSN to kamocat Send a message via Skype™ to kamocat
Re: 101 Things I Wish I'd Known Before My First FIRST Tournament

Here's a rule that really makes FIRST about engineering:

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

This includes ordering standard parts before you need them. We're still having trouble with that.
  #122   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Bored? Never...
AKA: Jezumo a.k.a James
FRC #1386 (Trobots)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2007
jrdude is just really nicejrdude is just really nicejrdude is just really nicejrdude is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to jrdude Send a message via MSN to jrdude Send a message via Yahoo to jrdude
Talking Re: 101 Things I Wish I'd Known Before My First FIRST Tournament

That FIRST talks in riddles when giving game hints

Quote:
"Math is too hard!"~Barbie Doll (1992)
  #123   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2008, 01:00 AM
FRC #0122 (NASA Knights)

Rookie Year: 1999
Nate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboMom View Post
Indeed, a paper with this title in on NEMO, and credits ideas posted in 2005-2006 on chief delphi and Rick Tyler right at the top.

http://www.firstnemo.org/PDF/first_competition_tips.pdf
I hope NEMO doesn't mind derivative work. Here is my take (pdf attached; 28.3 KB) at a condensed and edited version of these 101+ hints. The document is titled "FIRST Best Practices: Team Behavior during Build Season and at Competition."
Attached Files
File Type: pdf best_practices.pdf (28.3 KB, 78 views)
  #124   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Forever a Mercurite
AKA: Amanda Fowler
FRC #3929 (Atomic Dragons)/FRC #1089 (Mercury)

afowl is a jewel in the roughafowl is a jewel in the roughafowl is a jewel in the roughafowl is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via Skype™ to afowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
Murphy was a genius, the only time you cant connect to program your controller will be in the pits, at nationals, before your last match.
I just had to quote this. Team 1089 at Nationals this year is proof of this if there ever was. Despite all of the random non robot things that went wrong, our cRio died. Thankfully another team let us borrow one they just won and we went to upload the code and our programming laptop died. But our smart programmers backed it up on a flash drive... which they lost... so they had to reprogram the robot on Friday night. There's a whole thread about this somewhere. We ended up losing every match except for the one our cRio died in which we tied... this leads to my tip.

It doesn't matter what goes wrong as long as you have fun. We all thought this was one of our best trips, even though we were second to last in our divison.

@frc1089
  #125   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-29-2009, 01:53 PM
AKA: Katheryne
FRC #3722 (Green wave)

Dragon Princess has a spectacular aura aboutDragon Princess has a spectacular aura about
Post 101 Things I Wish I'd Known Before My First FIRST Tournament

a robot is nothing like a race car, trust me i thought so, i had no idea where the spark plugs had to go...until someone pointed out their were no spark plugs lolz.

when your parents join your robotics team its not a bad thing, you get to have a bit more freedom on trips, and you can have takeout meals that are different from the teams, who doesn't love getting Chinese food or a grilled cheese after about most the build was all about pizza that you couldn't really stand anymore. Don't get me wrong i love pizza, but the Pizza hut near our build spot burns the pizza, and no where else will take a phone call from the school for the deaf seriously.

Last edited by Dragon Princess : 07-29-2009 at 05:48 PM.
  #126   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Pit Ambassador
AKA: Ciara
FRC #1730 (Team Driven)
Team Role: Marketing

LadyinthePit has a spectacular aura aboutLadyinthePit has a spectacular aura about

I have a couple to add if it's not too late. This year was my first (and last as a student) I learned a couple valuable lessons:

-Know EVERYTHING about your robot because as long as you're wearing your team name you're fair game for questions.

-When someone asks what language your programmers speak don't answer English (that was my rookie mistake to the Judges...somehow we still got Engineering Inspiration)

-People want to hear about your robot from you so don't be shy and let the mentors talk because frankly no one at the regional really cares what they have to say (Don't get me wrong I love our mentors but the senators, business execs, and misc. fans want to hear about how the program impacts students)

-Oh and you can never have enough buttons.
  #127   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-30-2009, 01:46 PM
FRC #0393 (Full Metal Jackets)
Team Role: Mechanical

acidrain2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

You WILL NOT have Presidents' Day off, and you can forget about having Saturdays off as well. Oh, and about halfway through February, you should be prepared for at least one week of staying up way past midnight, even though its a school night. Its often advantageous to just bring a change of clothes, and change in the locker rooms when you wake up on the shop floor at 7 AM.

Three Schools
One Team
Big Dream
  #128   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2009, 06:21 PM
TruSS So hard
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

I have some to add. Partly from talking to new teammates the night before IRI. Sorry if I missed some in the long thread.

Meet people and teams and talk to them, a lot. Don't focus TOO much on your own team, or one task, but incorporate a hefty chunk of social interaction with your experience. Not only is FIRST a great way to network and know interesting people, you'll have a lot more fun (and a marginally higher chance of getting picked if you look at it that way) if you interact with other teams at events. Be friendly and talk! Most every collaboration or partnership starts by meeting at regional events, and you'll meet friends you'll never have gotten to know otherwise.

Find a cool gimmick and abuse it! Sure it's silly, but I bet half of the attention 1714's gotten (not that we have that much notoriety in FIRST (yet!)) is in our cheeseheads, all-polycarbonate robots, and diamond plated crate. Don't let it compromise your competitiveness or fun, but it's certainly a way to improve your regional experience while simultaneously increasing exposure and notoriety.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)

My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #129   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2009, 07:25 PM
+1 is BIGGER than -1
AKA: Joshua Manela
FRC #2586 (Fondy Fire)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
jmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to beholdjmanela is a splendid one to behold

1. make sure at all times you know who you are playing with, and playing against.

2. get ready to lose your voice

3. bring a water bottle
||2009|| Entrepeneurship Award, QF - Traverse City | Rookie All Star, QF - Detroit | Highest Rookie Seed, Rookie All Star, QF - Michigan State Championship | Finalist - MARC ||2010|| Engineering Inspiration, Website Award, SF- Kettering | Judges Award, Website Award, SF - Detroit | Website Award, Winner, Michigan State Champ //Thank you 469 and 1918!! | Finalist - MARC ||2011|| Engineering Inspiration, Website - Kettering | Entrepreneurship, Website, Finalist - Waterford | Website - MSC
  #130   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2009, 08:47 PM
TruSS So hard
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)

Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanela View Post
1. make sure at all times you know who you are playing with, and playing against.
I'd suggest teams bring a whiteboard in their pits for this very purpose, and the entire drive crew has an abridged schedule on them at all times.

Quote:
2. get ready to lose your voice
My voice is actually still cracking from IRI.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)

My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #131   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2009, 09:36 AM
no team

Robert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to beholdRobert Cawthon is a splendid one to behold

Personally, I like to bring a pair of ear plugs. It can get kind of noisy in there epecially when Dean shows up. Being able to have your own personal quiet space for a few minutes is very helpful for the adults.
2012 Greater Kansas City Regional Imagery Award
"It doesn't hurt to be smart as long as you don't out-think yourself." -- Steve Fujita Former KC Chiefs player.
  #132   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2010, 11:57 PM
A VEX GUy WIth A STicky SHift KEy
VRC #0010 (Exothermic Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Rick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond repute

Time to resurrect this old chestnut? For the newbies?

VRC 10A, 10B, 10D, 10Q, 10V, 10X, 10Z, and 575
  #133   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Orange Hat
FRC #0247 (Da Bears)
Team Role: Webmaster

Rookie Year: 2009
dqmot17 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to dqmot17

No idea if anyone has said this but:

No matter how geeky you are, or how not geeky you are - one FIRST competition and your hooked.
  #134   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Spartan-034
AKA: Dinkel
FRC #2865 (Roboteknix)
Team Role: Mechanical

[TBT] Vampire is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to [TBT] Vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dqmot17 View Post
No idea if anyone has said this but:

No matter how geeky you are, or how not geeky you are - one FIRST competition and your hooked.
I completely agree, this entire organization is an amazing feat and idea. Dean Kamen is a genius
  #135   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Mentor
AKA: Glenn
FRC #0359 (Hawaiian Kids)

Rookie Year: 2000
waialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond repute

Pretend its a 5 week build season, submit awards on Feb. 17th (for 2010) the day before they are due, read the updates in addition to the manual, read Chief Delphi daily, and practice extended periods of no sleep.

2014 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed, UL Safety Award
2014 Dallas Regional Champions, #1 seed, Engineering Excellence Award
2014 Northern Lights Regional Champions, #1 seed, Entrepreneurship Award
2013 Texas Robot Roundup Finalist
2013 Championship Dean's List Winner
2013 Hawaii Regional Finalist, #1 seed, Engineering Excellence Award
2013 Utah Regional Champion, #1 seed, KP&B Award, Deans List
2013 Boilermaker Regional Champion, #1 seed, Motorola Quality Award
2012 Lone Star Regional Champion, #1 seed, Motorola Quality Award
2012 Hawaii Regional Champion, #1 seed, Motorola Quality Award

2011 NYC-Regional Champion, #1 seed, Chairman's Award, Safety Award
2011 Hawaii-Regional Champion, #1 seed, Motorola Quality Award, Volunteer of the Year, Website Award
2011 Las Vegas-Regional Finalist, #2 seed, WFFA, KP&C Entrepreneurship Award,
2011 FRC World Championship-Championship Chairman's Award
2011 IRI-Tournament Champions

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: