OCCRA
Go to Post When Dean says it's not about the robot he really means it. We're gonna get a speech whether we want it or not and of we complain we'll get even more. - Koko Ed [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Control System
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2005, 06:08 PM
has common ground with Matt Krass
AKA: Mike Sorrenti
FRC #0237 (Sie-H2O-Bots (See-Hoe-Bots) [T.R.I.B.E.])
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2004
Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond repute
Microchips

I'm looking for a quality microchip to work on some base-level programming. I want something with PWM outputs (3 is more than enough) and some digital/analog inputs (for things such as gyros and limit switches). I've checked the microchip.com site, but i'm not totally sure what i'm doing. Can anybody recommend a chip?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2005, 06:27 PM
"Old" and Cranky. Get off my lawn!
AKA: Dark Ages
FRC #0263 (Sachem Aftershock)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
Matt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Krass Send a message via Skype™ to Matt Krass
Re: Microchips

You might want to look in to the Atmel AVR series chips, I'm working with two right now, the AT90S8515 and the ATMEGA16L, the former has one pwm output and the latter four, along with an STK500 dev board. I have to warn you though, though I've successfully made a pwm pulse..I think...it won't control any servos I have...does anybody have an idea?

I'm a FIRST relic of sorts, I remember when we used PBASIC and we got CH Flightsticks in the KoP. In my day we didn't have motorized carts, we pushed our robots uphill, both ways! (Houston 2003!)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2005, 06:54 PM
Joe Johnson's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer at iRobot
AKA: Dr. Joe
FRC #3958 (FRC Teams Need Names?)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute
Motorola forever...

I have been using the Motorola DSP 5680X series a lot lately. I love them.

Motorola calls them Hybrid DSPs. Basically, they are screamer number crunchers with enough onboard peripherals that the core processor is free to do pretty whatever it wants to. They have onboard stuff to do PWM, Timers, Queued ADC, SPI stuff, CAN, Quadrature Decode, Serial Communications, etc. Very nice for robot controls.

I am using the boards from New Micros Inc Don't pay any attention to that Forth stuff.* Get CodeWarrior (free license for code up to 16K -- easily done with all the peripherals doing the heavy lifting) from MetroWerks I can almost guarantee that you'll like it better than MPLAB. I know I do.

Anyway, back to the New Micros boards, I have always been happy with the quality of the stuff I buy from them. For what it's worth...

Joe J.

*Forth is a great language whose time has past. It is a very cool language with power galore but, seriously, the designers of the language bet the farm against RAM becoming essentially free... ...they lost the bet... ...Sorry die hard Forth fans, but I have to call 'em as I see 'em.

Learning Forth is a great way to learn about programming in general, but I can't recommend it for non-educational uses.
The best team you've never heard (yet)
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2005, 06:58 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Electrical Engineer
no team

Rookie Year: 1995
Mike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWasHere05
I'm looking for a quality microchip to work on some base-level programming. I want something with PWM outputs (3 is more than enough) and some digital/analog inputs (for things such as gyros and limit switches). I've checked the microchip.com site, but i'm not totally sure what i'm doing. Can anybody recommend a chip?
Mike,

I would start by watching "Introduction to the PIC18 High Pin-Count and High Density family of devices" at http://techtrain.microchip.com/webse...CListArch.aspx.

It gives a fairly good overview as to what the Microship part number means and a good introduction to the various chips in the PIC18 family. You will find that other families like the PIC16 will make more sense as well...

Regards,

Mike

Alumnus, Team 3518, Panthrobots, 2011
Alumnus, Team 177, Bobcat Robotics, 1995 - 2010
LRI, Connecticut Regional, 2007-2010
LRI, WPI Regional, 2009 - 2010
RI, South Florida Regional, 2012 - 2013

As easy as 355/113...
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2005, 07:06 PM

Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Motorola forever...

Are all these as easy to use as say, the FIRST RC?

EDIT: I'll read that article, thanks.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2005, 07:34 PM
FRC #1640
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Gdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond repute

You might look at Kronos robotics. http://kronosrobotics.com/xcart/customer/home.php . The Dios is an 18 series chip similar to what's in the first controller. They offer several kits with different carrier boards. The programing language is free. It's much easier to get started with than the microchip environment. Check the web site out. There are allot of app notes to help you get started. It's a basic interpreter thats well implemented. You can use in line assembler if you really want to take control of the chip. There are functions included for I2c, spi, and Dallas 1 wire plus allot of other chips.
I've also used the Netmedia basicx24 with students. It uses an Atmel chip.
The students got up and going faster with the Kronos stuff. Forget the basic stamp. However you might look at their stamps in the class room. They're well done tutorials.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2005, 08:19 PM

I'm still really new to this, so bear with me here.

From what I understand, I need a chip and a carrier. Will a combination of this and this work? How would I connect them? I don't see where the PWM ports are, do I need something else for them? Are there any other parts I need? The example code they gave, it was in assembly. Can I still use c?

Thanks in advance.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2005, 09:11 PM
None #0116

seanwitte has a brilliant futureseanwitte has a brilliant futureseanwitte has a brilliant futureseanwitte has a brilliant futureseanwitte has a brilliant futureseanwitte has a brilliant futureseanwitte has a brilliant futureseanwitte has a brilliant futureseanwitte has a brilliant futureseanwitte has a brilliant futureseanwitte has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to seanwitte

The Xport from Charmed Labs looks pretty cool. Programmable in C or C++ but requires a Game Boy Advance.

Be careful about PWM outputs. In the context of a microcontroller its different than the outputs on the FRC. Unless there is an integrated motor controller or H-bridge you won't be able to directly drive a motor. Otherwise you would use the onboard PWM output to drive an external H-bridge. Far easier to get a robot controller with the motor controller integrated already.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: