OCCRA
Go to Post So go out and learn something new, even if it is old. Co-operate in this and you'll get much more out of it. Cheat and you are only cheating yourself. - ChrisH [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Regional Competitions
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in coming to europe in 2006?
Yes 42 60.87%
Possibly 15 21.74%
No 12 17.39%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2005, 05:03 AM
Tie Wrap-Not Cable Tie or Zip tie
AKA: Stephen Denman
FRC #0759 (Systemetric)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Denman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Denman Send a message via AIM to Denman Send a message via MSN to Denman Send a message via Yahoo to Denman
Would you like to come to europe?

So, with the possibility of the regional in europe next year. We need to know how many US teams would be interested in coming over to join us and to help us make a full regional (i believe current plans are for 30 teams, and we are (in my opinion) not going to manage to get 30 teams up in one year.
So please vote and say below

FIRSTWiki.org - Contribute, learn, inspire.

"Teach the way of the GP and the way of the GP shall teach you" - Me

Last edited by Denman : 04-13-2005 at 07:13 AM. Reason: typo in title
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2005, 05:34 AM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WOuld you like to come to europe?

Too far. Too much money. If we did it would be in place of the championship (that would not go over well with the team) and we get nervous taking our kids over the border to Canada (lots of foreign born kids on the team) so Europe would most likely be out of the question.
Sorry.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2005, 06:21 AM
FRC #0759 (Systemetric)

Denman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Denman Send a message via AIM to Denman Send a message via MSN to Denman Send a message via Yahoo to Denman

dont be sorry. the point is to see how many people are thinking about it or anything, its just as helpful to say no

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2005, 07:17 AM
Iraq is fun.
AKA: Brad Cahn
no team (Robobees 836)
Team Role: Alumni

Bcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bcahn836 Send a message via Yahoo to Bcahn836

We try to go do a really far away regional or a big regional each year. Usually its championships, but since we weren't planning on going this year we went to New Hampshire. Europe I think could be a possibility, but our team would have to be more financially stable.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2005, 07:26 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0233 (roccobot)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 1999
mrs. p has much to be proud ofmrs. p has much to be proud ofmrs. p has much to be proud ofmrs. p has much to be proud ofmrs. p has much to be proud ofmrs. p has much to be proud ofmrs. p has much to be proud ofmrs. p has much to be proud ofmrs. p has much to be proud of

team 233, the pink team, would definitely be interested. keep in touch
Off-Season: IRI, Mayhem, Robot Rodeo, TNT, Panther Prowl

Real Men Wear Pink
Check out www.roccobotics.com
Please visit www.thepinkteam.org
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2005, 08:54 AM
Running Riot
AKA: Patrick Cloke
FRC #0358 (Hauppauge Robotic Eagles) FRC #1493 (RPI/Albany High School)

DarkJedi613 is a splendid one to beholdDarkJedi613 is a splendid one to beholdDarkJedi613 is a splendid one to beholdDarkJedi613 is a splendid one to beholdDarkJedi613 is a splendid one to beholdDarkJedi613 is a splendid one to beholdDarkJedi613 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to DarkJedi613 Send a message via MSN to DarkJedi613 Send a message via Yahoo to DarkJedi613

I think there's a difference between being interested and being a possibility of going. I'd be interested as in it'd be neat to go. But I don't think itd be financially possible.

Team Search | (Updated: 1-16-08)

FIRSTsearch
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2005, 09:00 AM
They're trusting ME with a Kickoff?
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron); FLL #7016/7017 (Garnet Squadron Alfa/Bravo)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

I, personally, would be somewhat interested in going if the price were affordable. (Perhaps the teams traveling to the event could get in on hotels, Championship-style?)
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV USC Kickoff (51,610.5 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2005, 09:16 AM
{Error Processing Custom Title}
AKA: oneangrydwarf/jtosh
no team (old school gangsta)

Rookie Year: 2000
Josh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Josh Hambright

As much as i would say i would love to go with my team to Europe for a regional, this would most likely kill our entire travel budget in one event, thus we would go nowhere else and compete in no other events. This would be a hard fight to make when we could competete in the regional here in town, chicago, detroit, st louis, buckeye, WMR, the list goes on of regionals much much closer to us. So i'd say although i'd like to come i dont see it happening, maybe i could scam a plane ticket and come myself.

However, rather then bringing american teams i say its a better and in the long run a more effective plan to try and start 30 teams around Europe, there are plenty of countries over there, and although it would be a challenge, harder things have been done. That would make it a true regional, rather then just an exotic event people are traveling too. Granted I'm sure there are teams that would still consider attending, but I'd say start some more teams and when the local interest is ready, go for it, look at Israel, granted they had support from FIRST doing all this, but they started all those teams and the regional in 1 year. Who's to say Europe or Asia or Africa oculdn't do the same thing?

Good luck, and maybe in a few years i can come and watch a regional in Europe.
Co-Founder IndianaFIRST

Share your FIRST photos on Flickr!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2005, 10:17 AM
FIRST Guru
AKA: Alex
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

StangMan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to StangMan

I am all for it, however from a budget standpoint, I am not sure. I ahve been to Europe a few times and I have discovered it would be more cost effective to hold the event somewhere in Spain, it seems to be the country in Europe with the most affordable economy for us Americans. I love Europe, and I would love to travel there to compete~!

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2005, 11:51 AM
FRC #0759 (Systemetric)

the idea is to start 30 teams and i quote "with the hope of at least 10 surviving" but there really simply arn't enough people here who have seen it already. I think there are only about 10 other people from europe interested in first, plus the 2 uk teams

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2005, 11:58 AM
FRC #0759 (Systemetric)

oh, and on the travel note, budget airlines are cheap and cheerful....
our flights were about $650 each this year, because the nyc regional was over easter weekend, but otherwise
i wouldn't think that it could be that expensive, for example i just did a search and found that new york to london and back with one week gap at 236 ( approx $450) with America Airlines
you can also find cheaper flights if you wnat to change in iceland or something...
but the question is really would you like to and be able to

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2005, 03:28 PM
This is a line...
AKA: Paul
FRC #0818 (Genesis '02)

IMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to IMDWalrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denman
oh, and on the travel note, budget airlines are cheap and cheerful....
our flights were about $650 each this year, because the nyc regional was over easter weekend, but otherwise
i wouldn't think that it could be that expensive, for example i just did a search and found that new york to london and back with one week gap at 236 ( approx $450) with America Airlines
you can also find cheaper flights if you wnat to change in iceland or something...
but the question is really would you like to and be able to
Considering that our fee for team participation was $250 this year, I don't think we'd be able to. Even at those rates.

It's just so much cheaper to travel in the continental U.S. We use school buses to get to regionals in Michigan (which we don't have to pay for, since the district provides them) and a chartered bus for bigger trips. Since we've got issues covering even that, there's no way that 818 would be able to afford to fly to Europe.

That said, it would be an amazing experience. I've never left North America, and a chance to compete overseas would be more than enough to get me to mentor on 818 next year. Even with a two hour round trip every day.

I like the idea of having a smaller Europe "division," though. A European regional could function like the Israeli one, where only the area teams are allowed to compete, or it could be open to everyone. If it happens, FIRST will figure out how to make it work. I'm sure of it.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2005, 03:40 PM
I'm baaaaaaack.
FRC #1902 (Exploding Bacon)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2005
Adam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Adam Richards Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Richards

I think it could work great if Dean (hint hint Mr Kamen... ) chartered a 747 for all the FIRST participants out of Dulles or JFK...
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2005, 04:09 PM
FRC #0759 (Systemetric)

our team participation was 350 =~$700 , excluding food etc.
anyway, its just a preliminary survey to see interest.
and that would be great bt highly unlikely with the 747

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-13-2005, 04:26 PM
has common ground with Matt Krass
AKA: Mike Sorrenti
FRC #0237 (Sie-H2O-Bots (See-Hoe-Bots) [T.R.I.B.E.])
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2004
Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond repute

Would I like to go: Hell yeah
Could I go: Probably not, we're looking at $1,000+ per person.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: