Go to Post [in response to http://www.welovefirst.com/] I feel like I've just been FIRST Rick Rolled. - kramarczyk [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > FRC Game Design
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-27-2005, 03:19 PM
A VEX GUy WIth A STicky SHift KEy
VRC #0010 (Exothermic Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
Rick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond repute
Re: TRIPLE REPLAY ... the consequence for not doing Dean's homework!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_short1
o.. dont you worry.. next years game will be with cubes.. .. circle (balls) last year.. triangles (tetras) this year.. square (cubes) next year
look at their logo guys!
Oh, jeez, I've been sucked into the Wild Idea Zone...

They're cubes, see, but they are made of PVC pipe, 24 inches on a side. Scoring is done by swimming -- oops, that's the 2007 game -- driving up and down ramps to place colored cubes into a horizontal 5x5 grid. You can push the cubes through the grid in either direction, and there is no penalty for pushing another alliances cubes out of the grid.

A tetra in the lowest row of the grid is worth one point, second row is worth 2, etc. The top row, which you will readily see is over eight feet in the air, is worth five points. Bonuses are scored for four or five in a row, vertically, diagonally or horizontally.

I haven't worked out autonomous goals because of this pounding pain in my temples. I'll leave it to the more feverish high schoolers among you.

VRC 10A, 10B, 10D, 10Q, 10V, 10X, 10Z, and 575
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-27-2005, 03:34 PM
This is a line...
AKA: Paul
FRC #0818 (Genesis '02)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
IMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to IMDWalrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle
I think it would be a great idea, if someone would show me where teams can tap more money out of to start other teams and still keep theres running. A lot of areas rural and city alike have been taped by so many FIRST teams or even just one team that getting additional funding could be a nightmare. I do the the replay a little bit to it would add a whole new element to making a competitive robot.

I think this would be a great game idea for an off season competition with the pink tetra and the 25 second auto mode though.
Which areas are we talking about, exactly?

Michigan and California may be overly saturated, but what about the middle of the United States? Nebraska? What about states like Oregon, that have a handful of teams when compared to other areas?

FIRST can still grow in the U.S. I don't know if it'll be a good thing or not, but it can regardless.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-27-2005, 03:55 PM
AKA: Tommy
FRC #1031 (Boilermakers)

HaWkeYe15 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HaWkeYe15

I like the idea of triple play again, but i dont think some of those rule changes are the best ideas. Why would rookie teams have the advantage? Some rookie teams do outstanding already, they dont need the advantage in build time. When my team was a rookie team, we placed 7th in the Silicon Valley regional, and were not the highest placed rookie team.
Our team already has trouble completing our robot in the allotted build time, as I'm sure other teams do as well. Decreasing this time would just cause more teams to drop out.

Semi-Finalist 2005 Las Vegas Regional.

Quarter-Finalist in 2006 SVR.

Quarter-Finalist in 2007 Davis Regional.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-27-2005, 05:08 PM
Good Luck Teams!
AKA: Tyler Wetzel
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

tkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond reputetkwetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to tkwetzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaWkeYe15
I like the idea of triple play again, but i dont think some of those rule changes are the best ideas. Why would rookie teams have the advantage? Some rookie teams do outstanding already, they dont need the advantage in build time. When my team was a rookie team, we placed 7th in the Silicon Valley regional, and were not the highest placed rookie team.
Our team already has trouble completing our robot in the allotted build time, as I'm sure other teams do as well. Decreasing this time would just cause more teams to drop out.
I believe that allowing less build time, but still releasing the game 6 weeks before ship date might be a novel idea. I think that many teams would benefit from a restricted schedule for a week or two after the game comes out. This would give teams time to strategize and design, which some teams probably don't spend enough time on. I like Lucien's idea, but I also see where Ken Patton is coming from. I think that allowing teams to build a robot after seeing what has worked this past year won't decrease inspiration though. I believe that teams would strive for perfection on a design and strategy after seeing what has worked. This may give an advantage to teams that had great robots this past year, but I think the great minds at FIRST could find some way to limit duplicate robots (like a mixup of the motors again or a size and weight limit change ).

There are several great ideas in this thread, but I doubt that we will see FIRST replay a game for a second year.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-27-2005, 05:18 PM
Melodious Footware
AKA: *Crash!* Shuuuuuuuuuuuu
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
Shu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud ofShu Song has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Shu Song

A HUGE problem: how do you enforce the rule that vets can't build before Jan 30? Before, all that limited the teams was not knowing the game, which happens to be a giant limitation, but now, who says teams can't start perfecting their robot starting now if they knew that next year would have the same game. It makes no sense and it will never work.

With all due respect, Lucien, this is a terrible idea. Forcing a team to start others will result in a lot of poorly managed teams that probably won't survive for more than a year or two.

Money is a giant issue for many teams, for example, our team just now has enough of a financial foothold to start thinking about starting new teams. You just can't start helping others before helping yourself.

Besides, what makes you feel better, creating a team out of sheer love for FIRST or just to be able to start teh build season on time?

my 2 cents.

WINNER of the 2005 Finger Lakes Regional, thanks to teams 191 and 494.
WINNER of the 2004 Canadian Regional, thanks to teams 33 and 1112
WINNER of Delphi: Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award at the 2007 Finger Lakes Regional.
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-27-2005, 05:24 PM
Ithaca is Gorges
AKA: John Wayne
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2001
Yan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Yan Wang Send a message via AIM to Yan Wang Send a message via MSN to Yan Wang Send a message via Yahoo to Yan Wang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu Song
A HUGE problem: how do you enforce the rule that vets can't build before Jan 30?
Gracious professionalism... otherwise, the program has failed.

The idea is interesting although I am fond of the different games each year.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-27-2005, 05:37 PM
AKA: Tommy
FRC #1031 (Boilermakers)

HaWkeYe15 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HaWkeYe15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yan Wang
Gracious professionalism... otherwise, the program has failed.

The idea is interesting although I am fond of the different games each year.
I am fond of them as well. Although this game is an outstanding game, there will no doubt be an equally outstanding game next year.

Semi-Finalist 2005 Las Vegas Regional.

Quarter-Finalist in 2006 SVR.

Quarter-Finalist in 2007 Davis Regional.
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2005, 11:18 AM
Head of Electronics
AKA: Kevin F.
FRC #1596 (Twin Saults International Instigators)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2005
the_short1 is a name known to allthe_short1 is a name known to allthe_short1 is a name known to allthe_short1 is a name known to allthe_short1 is a name known to allthe_short1 is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to the_short1

i agree with mike.."Teams shouldn't be required to create new teams (or do other GP things). They should (and most do) do it out of the love for FIRST and engineering in general."

although to win ANY awards you basically have to create FLL teams and such .. something we just didnlt have enuf time and people power to do as a rookie team, and i still am boggled how 1511 did it all!<they definately deserved it//.. because if it wasnlt for them i think team 1596 coulda won the rookie award... . they must all drink red bull and go crazy doing 15 things at once!

.. yes! im glad to hear that the game from 3 years ago was a box type game! that means my predictions will probally be right!!.
2006 Website (Totally Revamped):Instigators1596.com
2006 GLR: 31st/61 Seed, Aliance: 835, 1213, 1596 (Quarter Finalists) Spirit & 3 peer awards, THX!
2006 Waterloo: 7th/31 Seed, Aliance: 1219, 1596, 912 (Semi Finalists) Spirit & 2 peer awards, THX!
2006 Waterloo: Aliance: 1596, 1680, 1114 Higest Match Score: (Q22) 128|32
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-29-2005, 03:07 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

But, but, but, but ... if we just re-play "Tiple Replay" (a little bit of a Freudian slip there, Lucien? ) then what in the world will the Game Design Committee do with all that new-found free time between last Monday and January 7, 2006? Since they wouldn't have to come up with a new game, they would have to concentrate on other things - like how to enforce the proposed "no metal on robots" rule.

-dave
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!

Last edited by dlavery : 04-29-2005 at 06:16 PM.
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-29-2005, 05:33 PM
Engineer
#0118 (Robonauts)

nic_radford will become famous soon enough

Since I was the one of the soundboards for Lucien when he got this crazy idea, now I'll tell him how I really feel instead of nodding and smiling when he presented the idea to me. Just kidding.... I do feel it is a novel concept, one worth debating.

There was a thread earlier that talked about what was more important: winning chairmanís or winning the championshipís. Pretty divided. I remember when I was reading it, I went in thinking that the overwhelming response would be chairmanís, and it really wasn't. Now obviously, the sample set (your chief delphi poster) and responses given can't be considered generous enough to get an accurate representation of the true pulse of every Tom, $@#$@#$@#$@# and Harry FIRSTer. But I think it could indicate something stunning. Some teams (more than we'd probably like to admit) aren't really interested in starting teams. I hate to say it, I really do, but they aren't. I believe it is evident in the data. Lucien wouldn't be suggesting these hare brained ideas if we were getting an abundance of new teams every year. I feel 'forcing' the issue would unfortunately make most teams positions more than clear. They wouldn't like it. And I think it as a lot to do with money.

Personally, I feel growing FIRST has to start with us. I do. But I truly believe that FIRST has to create an susceptible environment. It is becoming increasing harder for veteran teams to keep going, let alone now divert these already strained resources to other teams.
Iím not making excuses, but Iím trying to point out realities. FIRST increases prices and then we get called out for not doing homework. I doubt FIRST is scamming us, but if Dean wanted new teams he waive or highly reduce entry fees or kit fees for rookie teams. In the end, this is about money. Very few teams are rolling in it. Iíve personally seen each extreme, and wow what a difference it can make.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-29-2005, 06:24 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

If FIRST was going to repeat a game they should take JOe Ross' suggestion and repeat the 2004 game with a few rule change (like the red and blue zone bar).
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-06-2005, 04:46 AM
Tie Wrap-Not Cable Tie or Zip tie
AKA: Stephen Denman
FRC #0759 (Systemetric)

Denman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Denman Send a message via AIM to Denman Send a message via MSN to Denman Send a message via Yahoo to Denman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Verdeyen
Really, though, don't we already have something like this? Every year we see imitations of the most successful drivetrains, and every year we see the teams that created those successes pushing the envelope even further. Look at AndyMark and the kitbot. Are the teams that didn't have to come up with their own solution as to how to drive around any less inspired? We can't have it both ways - either better robots lead to better inspiration, or they don't.

Anyway, I think that the idea that the game is the same isn't really central to the whole concept. (The person who's concept it is might disagree.) Imagine being a rookie team next year, and showing up on day 1 with a working drivetrain and arm. You can see up close how someone else screwed up, and how to fix it. A rookie team starts with a year of hardware under their belt, and the help of a more experienced team to move them along. Allowing them to use whatever parts of their mentor team's robot they want to salvage gives them the chance to be competitive, or at least the chance to see what doesn't work. I think it's great.

Another possibility: limiting the build restrictions to teams who won a regional or a robot award last year. Discuss.
Even arms this year were similar to last years ... (see pink/233 for an example, anyone who saw them last year will know what i mean )

FIRSTWiki.org - Contribute, learn, inspire.

"Teach the way of the GP and the way of the GP shall teach you" - Me
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-06-2005, 04:49 AM
Tie Wrap-Not Cable Tie or Zip tie
AKA: Stephen Denman
FRC #0759 (Systemetric)

Denman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud ofDenman has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Denman Send a message via AIM to Denman Send a message via MSN to Denman Send a message via Yahoo to Denman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlavery
But, but, but, but ... if we just re-play "Tiple Replay" (a little bit of a Freudian slip there, Lucien? ) then what in the world will the Game Design Committee do with all that new-found free time between last Monday and January 7, 2006? Since they wouldn't have to come up with a new game, they would have to concentrate on other things - like how to enforce the proposed "no metal on robots" rule.

-dave
Lol
They could start on the year afters game, and make it even better than any before, with 2 years you can get a lot more different i would guess.... maybe some wierd and wonderful thing that no one else will have thought of
and no metal? would that include on the electronics, would we have to control our robots through many little hamsters all synchronised and who can understand speech

FIRSTWiki.org - Contribute, learn, inspire.

"Teach the way of the GP and the way of the GP shall teach you" - Me
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-06-2005, 08:56 AM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
tiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to tiffany34990

if they make you do all of deans homework...i predict some teams will die....some areas have so many teams how do you just start a new one...really it should be starting new teams in areas that have no teams we know what states those are...

we can keep coming up w/ teams and at the same time lose a lot of great veteran teams because of funding... our team would love to start a new team in our county but funding is an issues...we may later split s.p.a.m. but not this year or next...

the homework is a good idea and all but is it all possible???... his hw is still the best!
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-06-2005, 03:49 PM
Wayne C.'s Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
hey- I think we did pretty good?
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)

Rookie Year: 1997
Wayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody has way too much time on their hands....

Instead of trying to bill veteran teams for the kits for rookie teams how about having FIRST offer free registration for rookies and reduced registration for teams that are reasonable mentors? I can't see a team scraping and working all year to be left with nothing for their own registration while their rookie proteges play free. That is pretty unrealistic.

For this off season and the next 6 events our team is refitting our older robots to play Triple Play and loaning them to pre-rookies of at least three schools. They get to play for free or a near free cost. We learned this from Baldwin HS who did it last year at our BE event with great success. Other teams in our region are doing this too for the off season and we have a regional development program for new teams (RINOS) in place and working. Any team attending BE with a pre-rookie protege in tow will get in for a much reduced cost and the new guys for free.

No gimmick needed- just planning and hard work. (Thats the breakdown for most)

Before I assign homework to my classes I need to a do a lot of lesson planning and more instruction on how to proceed. Sounds like this homework assignment could use a bit more planning too.

WC

Raider Robotix- www.raiderrobotix.org
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: