Go to Post The math isn't that hard. It's just a tool, like a screwdriver or soldering iron. Sure you get tired of picking up the same old thing everyday, but when you have to tighten a screw you still reach for the screwdriver. - Al Skierkiewicz [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Championship Event
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-27-2005, 06:50 PM
El Jefe de 148
AKA: Midwest Refugee
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Jeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond repute
Who Coached with a John (V) Neun?

While I was coaching last weekend in Atlanta, I had the honor of coaching a match with the father of Chief Delphi's most famous celebrity, Mr. John Neun of Team #20. So, just out of curiousity, who got to coach with a John (V) Neun in Atlanta?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-27-2005, 07:57 PM
(Insert witty comment here)
FRC #0057 (The Leopards)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
Kevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Sevcik Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin Sevcik
Re: Who Coached with a John (V) Neun?

I got to coach a match with Paul Copioli. Surely the WFA winner counts for something. I also strategized a match versus 71 with Karthik, a regional WFA. We won both matches even though they looked rather imposing. I wonder if there's any correlation there?

Lone Star Regional Troubleshooter
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-27-2005, 08:22 PM
FRC #0148

Rookie Year: 2002
Jay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond reputeJay Trzaskos has a reputation beyond repute

I know this thread is about those who coached with a Neun, but I had the great honor of being coached by one JVN. He is an amazing coach and strategist.

JT
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-27-2005, 08:27 PM
Copioli is the man!!!
FRC #1403 (Cougar Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 1997
slickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to slickguy2007

We worked with him and his team in Ohio. He is a cool guy . A great strategist too. Thanxs for picking us 229! Great job at nationals!!

GO 1403!!!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2005, 11:14 AM
Woodie Flowers Award
purple
FRC #0051 (Wings of Fire)

Rookie Year: 1997
Ken Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond repute

I have never had the chance to coach with or even against JVN. I would have loved to have gotten that chance. I've seen him in action and imho he's pretty awesome (of course having Jay as a driver and Adrienne as a boss helps smooth out the rough edges ).

I did get the chance to coach with JVN's dad in an Archimedes q-round. I was excited because I thought we had a good chance to win. The discussions of strategy before the match were excellent, and we had a good solid game plan worked out. So what happened? Well for one, I made a dumb call, we tipped a robot, and got shut off. So much for impressing the Neun family....

Did you know that John Neun and his son gave a cool presentation at the FRC Conference in Atlanta? It was on drivetrain design and it covered some mathematical approaches to calculating proper gear ratios, etc. It was a great example of how math is used in real life to make design choices.

Ken
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2005, 11:34 AM
Ricky Q.'s Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
yee haw!
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Ricky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond reputeRicky Q. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ricky Q.

JVN and I had a great match together on Curie. It was both 229 and 269's last qualifier match and we wanted to finish the weekend on a good note. Both of our robots were performing well all weekend but our W-L records were not showing it and we needed a good final match to impress the pickers.

269 and 229 basically mirrored each other the entire match, picking up single tetras and strategically capping them where we needed to. We ended up winning the match cleanly and finishing with the same W-L record of 3-4.

It was a pleasure to work with John and team 229.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2005, 09:30 PM
n.e.r.d #6
FRC #3780 (Robot Unicorns)

Jon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant future

I coached with John Nuen at UTC. That was fun, and JVN did a lot of the strategy work which really made it cool.

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2005, 11:04 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero Woodie Flowers Award
My Other Car is a 500 HP Turbine
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

Rookie Year: 1942
Chris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond repute

Well,

I got to go against JVN during elims on Curie.

It was an interesting match-up, because we shared pit space all weekend. He had been doggin' me and we were talkin' trash right up to the 3-2-1-countdown. We were reachin' into each others' pits stealing tools to slow down repairs. We tried to get the Hooter's girls to go visit them and cause a distraction. For a second, I even had Amanda convinced to wear a "234" shirt and lead the 'wave' to really distract him.

To make it more interesting, we were running JVN-designed transmissions (John's design, our manufacture & build). Our alliance won match 1, then lost 2 & 3. It was awesome and I still felt great even after losing.

(I am, however, still looking for that secret 'destruct' button he may have embedded in our transmissions, just in case .....)
2010 - Woodie Flowers Award - Championship
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: