OCCRA
Go to Post If you promote not only the growth of your own team but of other teams at other schools you are successful. - Koko Ed [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2005, 07:20 PM
Deadlines? What are those?
AKA: Stephanie
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
StephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to StephLee
Homeschooled team members

A friend of mine is moving, and wants to join a robotics team near where she's moving to. She's homeschooled, and they've had problems before with not being allowed to do things associated with schools because of that. I was wondering how many teams have members who are homeschooled. Do any teams have a rule against kids who are homeschooled because of their school?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2005, 07:29 PM
billy talent supports 836
AKA: Brandy Reed
FRC #0836 (Robobees)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
brandy836 is a splendid one to beholdbrandy836 is a splendid one to beholdbrandy836 is a splendid one to beholdbrandy836 is a splendid one to beholdbrandy836 is a splendid one to beholdbrandy836 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Homeschooled team members

Unfortunately, our team has rules against it. All student members have to be attending a public school in order to be part of the team. I'm not sure why we have it as a rule, and it doesn't make much sense, but it's there.

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2005, 08:53 PM
Registered Magic Programming User
AKA: Gordon
#1123 (AIM robotics Crimson Lightning)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2003
Meandmyself will become famous soon enough

My team, AIM Robotics, was created because several homeschoolers wanted to participate, and couldn't get on a high school team. We're community based, so we have no rules about membership. We have several homeschoolers on the team, as well as some from schools without teams.

It's been my experience that most high school teams won't allow homeschoolers. If your friend can't find a team to join, she could start a community based one. There aren't enough homeschool and community teams in FIRST.

I'm not a programmer. I'm an electrical guy who can program. If only I understood C!

www.aim-robotics.org //team website
www.tjhsst.edu/~gburgett //cool stuff for school
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2005, 09:18 PM
AKA: Kevin
FRC #4206 (RoboVikes)
Team Role: Engineer

nobrakes8 has much to be proud ofnobrakes8 has much to be proud ofnobrakes8 has much to be proud ofnobrakes8 has much to be proud ofnobrakes8 has much to be proud ofnobrakes8 has much to be proud ofnobrakes8 has much to be proud ofnobrakes8 has much to be proud ofnobrakes8 has much to be proud of

It would depend on each team. Like my team really dosen't care who joins the team as long as they're in high school. (that would include homeschooled i'd assume)..

Teams from private schools obviously have the right to keep their team with closed doors. If you're not paying tutition for that school then that school has every right to say no or charge a fee to join the team.

Public schools have the right to keep their doors closed to people outside their town/city. However I personally think if you're paying taxes for a high school to exist your kids should be allowed to have access to that school's resources and activities (if your kid is expelled then thats a different story). I don't think a school system has the right to tell people who pay taxes to their school system that their child can't participate in FIRST, and thats when the parents and studen should call mayor's office of the city/town and complain.

If you live in Connecticut and attend one of the 20 schools in the Connecticut Tech School System, by law your sending school (public school you'd attend if you didnt go to the tech school) has to offer you to chance to participate in athletics and activites the tech school dosen't offer.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-14-2005, 11:40 PM
Mike with the curly hair
AKA: Mike Jr.
None #1058 (PVC Pirates)

PVCMike has a spectacular aura aboutPVCMike has a spectacular aura aboutPVCMike has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to PVCMike

My team has a few homeschooled kids. in our town everyone pays school taxes even if your child is homeschooled so they are allowed to participate in all actvities. Thank goodness for that cause these guys are awsome. i couldnt imagine my team without them. yay jimmy and zeke
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2005, 12:07 AM
<Yes I managed to flip it
AKA: Shayne Helms
FRC #1132 (RAPTAR Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
Sachiel7 is just really niceSachiel7 is just really niceSachiel7 is just really niceSachiel7 is just really niceSachiel7 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Sachiel7

Our team, RAPTAR Robotics, is comprised of homeschool students. Over the past few years, we've expanded to allowing students from schools who do not have a team yet.
But I've been on "all" homeschooling teams for 4 years.
They are more difficult to run, without the financial/official backing of a school, but like said before, we get to define the rules. I have found in my experience that my experience in FIRST through this type of team has allowed for much more growth and creativity. Not saying that public schools dont, (I've only been homeschooled for my highschool "career") but I'm just saying that the way we ran our team allowed everyone to grow and be creative as much as and however they pleased. It also really means alot more "coming together" to make it happen. It takes more work, since you don't have school facilities, to find a place to build, for example. Heck, this years bot was created in my den, driveway, the Ashland County Library, Minivan of Ashland LLC, etc. I've stood outside with a TV Set lamp at 1 AM in my driveway with 3 colored triangles on the ground and a laptop and the bot testing out the color tracking this year.
Obviously, its a whole different experience for us guys.

There's no such thing as being too simple!
Look for Team #1132, RAPTAR Robotics at the VCU Regional this year!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2005, 03:26 PM
"1319...Smarter Than Monkeys!"
AKA: Shorty
FRC #1319 (Golden Strip Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Tigerlily-87 will become famous soon enough

I'm a homeschooled student, and my team let me join. In fact, they really encouraged me, and many others to participate. I do know there are at least several teams out there who are completely made up of homeschoolers, though. I think it's sad that some teams won't let students join because they are homeschooled. When teams refuse to let people join because they go to another school, or because they are girls, or for any similar reason, that becomes discrimination. And when teams discriminate against who can and can't join, it starts to defeat the purpose and message of FIRST.

Chesapeake Rookie All-Stars and Semi-Finalists
Palmetto Rookie Inspiration Award, Highest Seeded Rookie team, and Semi-Finalists
Champinships Highest Seeded Rookie Team and Curie Division Quarter-Finalists

Peachtree Safety Award Winners and Semi-Finalists

Boilermaker Safety Award and Spirit Award
Boilermaker Regional Winners (HUGE thanks to 1272 and 85!!!)
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2005, 04:19 PM
FRC #0330 (Beach Bot)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 1997
Penny has a spectacular aura aboutPenny has a spectacular aura about

Team 330, the Beach Bots, is a homeschool team. As such, we've faced some tremendous challenges over the years -- most notably in the areas of finding a place to build and in fund-raising. If there are other homeschool teams looking for help or if you're a team considering whether to allow homeschoolers to join and have questions or concerns, let me know. We'd love to help fellow homeschoolers over the hurdles!

By the way, the concerns raised in this thread relating to homeschoolers are nothing new. They come up every time homeschool students want to compete in high school athletics and other extracurricular activities. Sometimes the problems are related to outright discrimination, but usually it is a more practical concern such as insurance. Many times, a school insurance policy only covers full-time enrolled students. I can understand a school official's reluctance to allow an uninsured student around power tools.

As homeschooling becomes a more accepted educational option, I am hopeful that many of these other issues will be able to be worked out. In the meantime, I'm hopeful we'll see more community-based and/or homeschool teams!!!!

Penny Ross
Homeschool Mom as well as long-time FIRST mom and wife and
Vice Principal of Hope Chapel Academy
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2005, 04:25 PM
www.TwoPencilDesigns.com
AKA: Grizz, Twinkletoes, PitBull1126
FRC #1405

Alex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond reputeAlex Cormier has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alex Cormier

i believe all of team 1317 is created from home schoolers wanting to join in on the FIRST fun! i can't remember where they are located but email them and find out some info. good luck to your friend.

Two Pencil Designs - Vinyl Graphics, Bumper Numbers, and Strategy Items!
Like us on Facebook & follow us on Twitter
Facebook.com/TwoPencilDesigns & TwoPencilDesign
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2005, 10:07 AM
Coach/Faculty Advisor
AKA: Greg King
FRC #1014 (Dublin Robotics aka "Bad Robots")
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 1999
mathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond reputemathking has a reputation beyond repute

I am a mentor for 1014, but 1317 is another team mentored by Ohio State. They are composed of homeschooled students and are located in Central Ohio. Here is their link on the OSUFIRST page:

Team 1317 at OSUFIRST
Home Page of 1317

I hope this helps.

Last edited by mathking : 05-16-2005 at 10:11 AM.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-17-2005, 11:15 AM
1467 '06 Alumni
AKA: Anthony Rinaldi
no team (HSRO)
Team Role: Alumni

LBK Rules will become famous soon enoughLBK Rules will become famous soon enough

My team, 1467 is a team started by home-schoolers from Central to coastal Virginia. In 2004, we had a couple PS kids on our team and our veterans came from RAPTAR, 1132.

I say look around, see if there's a team that will let you join, and if not then start your own team. (It helps to get the LEGO grant, which is not hard to do. In 2004, we had about 2 members that were doing FLL in 2003, 4 that had done it in 2002, and 2 that had been competing since 2001.)
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-23-2005, 11:25 AM
The Cape Wearer.
AKA: Candie
None #0084 (Chuck 84)
Team Role: Mechanical

Jacqui has a spectacular aura aboutJacqui has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Jacqui

My team has a thing against home schoolers, but we have a program here thats called Blended Schools and that is basically where you do most of your work at home, but you turn it in to the Guidance Councilors, and you can also take classes at your local high school =) (I am a part of this program). I also know of a girl on my team whom is cyber schooled. I know that they have been giving her trouble about being on the team, but right now the Blended Schools program works nicely. Have her ask the school in the town that she is moving to if they have that program. I think that the team wouldn't be able to say that she cannot be part of the team, because in this program you are part of the school. And actually, you can be in anything that the school provides.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: