OCCRA
Go to Post And, by the way, we're all weird. It's just a matter of how well you hide or show it. :D - Billfred [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Chit-Chat
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-20-2005, 12:40 AM
Other
no team

Nhiem has a little shameless behaviour in the past
How technology has impacted communications in your life =)

Simple questions.

How has communications technology impacted your life.

For example how has email helped you contact your loved ones.
Effect of how iPods kept you tuned in.
TV keeping you informed

Etc...I just need peoples opinions...I won't use all but i'll be sure to mention or post a copy of my ISU.

Questions? Just ask.

Negative aspects are also very much welcome! Such opinions can include the substantial costs that come with the benfefits of such technological devices =).
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-20-2005, 06:59 AM
AKA: Grant Harding
#0084 (WATTNESS (bot: Chuck))
Team Role: Alumni

evulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to evulish
Re: How technology has impacted communications in your life =)

Well, if it weren't for computers and IM, I probably wouldn't have the nice job I have now. A friend I rarely saw but always talk to on IM recommended me for it. If there was no IM, I doubt we'd really talk (or be friends).
I'm a professional web developer. I'm good with PHP, Perl, Java/JSP, some RoR, XML, Javascript (AJAX as well), (x)HTML, CSS, etc.. Validated code is good; fully cross-browser code is better (you comply to your users and the software they use, not the other way around. Sorry!)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-20-2005, 07:23 AM
Counting Down to Kickoff
FRC #0461 (Westside Boiler Invasion)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
Eugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond reputeEugenia Gabrielov has a reputation beyond repute

It's most definitly internet that has had a huge impact. Many of my friends from Robotics, ISEF, and other national organizations can't see me on a regular basis, but we still want to communicate.

Another really cool device is the microwave. I really really like popcorn.

Team 461 for life!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-20-2005, 08:02 AM
no team
Team Role: Mechanical

kayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to kayla13 Send a message via MSN to kayla13

I think that technology has had many good effects in our communities, I have many aunts uncles cousins you name it from across that world. MSN, AIM and other programs are very useful where i can talk for hours on end and not be charged. E-mail also helps because they are in a different timezone, this way I can email them and they can respond in their own time.

There are many items of technology that are mind boggling and help in many ways including giving us jobs but there are also many downsides.

Now that we have so many ways of technology, they can be turned to the wrong hands. Anyone with an understanding of the piece could make something horrid like the atomic bomb type thing. Also in factories machinery replaces workers which means there are less workers and more pollution.

All in all we could fight this down to every point and there would be no right or wrong answer, its all about the opininons. In my opinion technology gets itself into a bad posistion then ruts itself out. Like many of the sicknesses we have are caused by pollution which is caused by technology and machinery, but then we create the flu shot for instance gets rid of the flu then the flu has been advanced by different particles in our air and it learns how to go around the flu shot they make another one. So really it is just a round-a-bout, the question is if you knew how many problems technology caused then would you stop it beforehand ?

To answer this question you need to think about how helpful and useful it is but then again think of all the problems that technology has allegedly caused.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-20-2005, 09:07 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
tiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to tiffany34990

w/o aim...yeah i'm lost...wouldn't have been so close to a few friends

cell phones...well connects me to family so i can talk to my cuz for free when my life gets crazy and my bro too when he's away @ college

bad though..addicted and well my rents want me offline so yeah...

----

microwave--hot pockets, popcorn and various foods to snack on..so it's not communication but that's okay

computers..love just typing essays not handwriting them out and gotta love spell check i can't spell to save my life...and really not form of communication either..
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-20-2005, 09:36 PM
Financial Engineer
FRC #4991 (HORSEpower)
Team Role: Mentor

Conor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond repute

[rant]I believe firmly that the most technologically we get advanced the better we are, only we need to be wise with what we build. Society never does well if they refuse to accept change, especially that that technology brings. Look at the chinese during all all of their dynasties, particularly Quig (Manchu) dynasty towards the end of their reign (1900s) they banned books and killed scholars, what happened? There was a revolution because they refused to accept change, same thing with the French, and many other societies.[/rant]

Some Communications I love:
-Any Phone Related Device
-Email and the Internet (all bow to CERN)
-Google (it does qualify doesn't it?)
-Many more

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: