OCCRA
Go to Post Let me tell you, the scariest day ever was the day that I realized since I am a mentor, people actually take my advice and I should be careful of what kind of advice I give. :ahh: - Elgin Clock [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2001, 10:43 AM
#0386 (Voltage)

Smurfette182 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm looking for a team...

Hello! My name is Rebekah Miranda, and i am looking for a team to join near my college in Illinois. I am moving from Palm Bay, Florida to Wheaton College in Wheaton Illinois. I was on Team Voltage #386 this past year; I was the secretary, the student lead draftsman and part of the spirit and aesthetics teams. I also drafted and helped machine and manufacture our robotic hook arrms. I had such a good time this past year that i want to be in it again, but I'm leaving my team and need to find a new one. Unfortunately, I won't have a car ... only a bicycle, so whatever team I join can't be very far away from Wheaton College. Can you help me? please email me at pbhsTSAchic@aol.com or reply to this message. thank you
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2001, 12:00 PM
-
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
EddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud ofEddieMcD has much to be proud of
If there is no team nearby, band together a group of your fellow students, and start your own team.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2001, 12:04 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
GregT will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to GregT
The hard part of starting a team is finding someone to cut you a $5000 check... plus some to cover parts, but if you do try it good luck.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2001, 04:12 PM
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Frank Toussaint will become famous soon enough
WildStang is probably the closest team (20 miles due north of Wheaton) and we would love to have you but transportation would be a problem.

The Gear Grinders (team 112) are even farther north. Striker (101), Arial Systems Inc. and Roosevelt High School (9), and Whitney Young (681) are all in the city.

I applaud your enthusiasm and fervently hope that some transportation miracle will occur when you need it.

There is some problem with email getting from the Chief Delphi web site to Motorola so donít email me through this forum. email me directly at cft004@email.mot.com.

Frank Toussaint, engineer, WildStang

P.S. In Chicagoland a bicycle is not useful, even for short distances, in winter.

Last edited by Frank Toussaint : 07-20-2001 at 04:15 PM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2001, 07:46 PM
#0353 (Pobots)

Stacy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Stacy
teams near colleges??

After reading this thread, I have to think about when i go to college... I haven't made a decision yet, but this could help. Does anyone know if there are any teams near PENN STATE UNIVERSITY (state college, PA), BUFFALO UNIVERSITY (Buffalo, NY) or OHIO STATE UNVERSITY (OH)???

If you know about any teams near any of these schools please write back! THANKS!!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2001, 07:59 PM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2000
Clark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute
Ohio State

I think Ohio State has a team........key word being "think"....lol

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2001, 10:09 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Been-In-FIRST-Too-Long
FRC #1438 (The Aztechs)

Matt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Leese
Re: teams near colleges??

Quote:
Originally posted by Stacy
After reading this thread, I have to think about when i go to college... I haven't made a decision yet, but this could help. Does anyone know if there are any teams near PENN STATE UNIVERSITY (state college, PA), BUFFALO UNIVERSITY (Buffalo, NY) or OHIO STATE UNVERSITY (OH)???

If you know about any teams near any of these schools please write back! THANKS!!
The closest teams to Buffalo would probably be the team in Lockport (Delphi something or other, I don't remember off the top of my head). There are also 5 teams in the Rochester, NY area which is about an hour away. In Rochester is us (Alstom & RIT & Edison Tech, 73), X-Cats (Xerox & Wilson, 191), MAK (Kodak & Marshall, 211), GRR (Nortel & Churchville-Chili, 340), and NASA & Gleason Works & Brockport (don't know the team number, they were rookies). They're all about an hour away from Buffalo but I don't remember where UB is located exactly. You should just come to RIT and join our team.

Matt
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2001, 10:29 PM
AKA: Patrick Dingle
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
patrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to patrickrd
Quote:
Originally posted by GregT
The hard part of starting a team is finding someone to cut you a $5000 check... plus some to cover parts, but if you do try it good luck.
Of course, I recommend starting your own team if there are none in the area.

If you are serious about starting a team, I think the best way is to talk to a LOT of people. The more people you talk to about it, the more likely things will come into place, often when you least expect it. For example, if you can get an associate Dean or something excited about it, you'd be surprised what can come about. Be prepared to set up a lot of meetings with people -- most of which may lead you nowhere or in circles -- but eventually you might find the key contacts.

Patrick
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2001, 10:51 PM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute
For all of you interested in which colleges have teams / have students that are interested in FIRST, you make sure to take a look at BUZZ U

For example, there are half a million former FIRST people currently attending and incoming at PSU.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-21-2001, 07:52 AM
Always be shipping.
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Jessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Ross
For all of you interested in which colleges have teams / have students that are interested in FIRST, you make sure to take a look at BUZZ U

For example, there are half a million former FIRST people currently attending and incoming at PSU.
Really? Half a million?
Advisor, NE FIRST
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-21-2001, 10:09 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Been-In-FIRST-Too-Long
FRC #1438 (The Aztechs)

Matt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Leese
Quote:
Originally posted by patrickrd

Of course, I recommend starting your own team if there are none in the area.

If you are serious about starting a team, I think the best way is to talk to a LOT of people. The more people you talk to about it, the more likely things will come into place, often when you least expect it. For example, if you can get an associate Dean or something excited about it, you'd be surprised what can come about. Be prepared to set up a lot of meetings with people -- most of which may lead you nowhere or in circles -- but eventually you might find the key contacts.

Patrick
I read associate Dean and was thinking it was odd that talking to Kamen at a college would help anything. *sigh* It's too early.

Matt
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-21-2001, 10:28 AM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon Martus
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Leese

I read associate Dean and was thinking it was odd that talking to Kamen at a college would help anything. *sigh* It's too early.

Matt
I had that same thought, but didnt comment on it...
Or i thought that i was being dyslexic, and it said 'Deans associate' ...
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-21-2001, 06:57 PM
The_C
no team

Carolyn Duncan is a jewel in the roughCarolyn Duncan is a jewel in the roughCarolyn Duncan is a jewel in the rough
I too am looking for a team near Orange Park,FL. I have been told of teams at Orange Park High and another school in Jax. Is anyone on one of those teams who could give me some info? You could pm me or send me an email to minimia1@hotmail.com. Thanx.

Thats C like the letter not like looking through your eyes or the large bdy of water! Just the letter C and yes it's on my birth certificate!
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-28-2001, 01:36 PM
cd addicted ninny
#0419 (rambots)

mike o'leary is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to mike o'leary Send a message via AIM to mike o'leary Send a message via Yahoo to mike o'leary
i definately agree that if you cant find a team, start one. its obviously a lot of work but its worth it. anyways, how hard could it be - anton did it!

***ninny pride***
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-28-2001, 10:14 PM
The_C
no team

Carolyn Duncan is a jewel in the roughCarolyn Duncan is a jewel in the roughCarolyn Duncan is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by mike o'leary
anyways, how hard could it be - anton did it!
Anton may have started a team but 2 years in a row? Last year I helped build a team as a high school student, I took care of much of the paper work and kept everyone out of trouble (I got blamed for everything). Now I'm a freshman, (again) in a new place, and there are two teams nearby, I finally established contact with them! Besides, Anton is a ninny, why couldn't he start a team?

Thats C like the letter not like looking through your eyes or the large bdy of water! Just the letter C and yes it's on my birth certificate!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: