OCCRA
Go to Post The FIRST community will always step up in times of need. - nikeairmancurry [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.58 average. Display Modes
  #76   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2006, 09:28 PM
AKA: Ace
FRC #1330 (Quiet Riot)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 1798
AceOfSpades is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to AceOfSpades
Re: Welcome the Newbies

the bot can expand 5 feet around and 60 inches up but can u pick another bot up making it like 120 inches up and then he can dump a basket into the center goal?? it is stupid but someone wants me to ask
  #77   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2006, 09:30 PM
AKA: Ari
FRC #0108 (SigmaC@T)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Arefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Arefin Bari Send a message via AIM to Arefin Bari Send a message via MSN to Arefin Bari Send a message via Yahoo to Arefin Bari

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceOfSpades
the bot can expand 5 feet around and 60 inches up but can u pick another bot up making it like 120 inches up and then he can dump a basket into the center goal?? it is stupid but someone wants me to ask
From my understanding, that shouldn't be a problem. The rule says, your bot can't be extended more than 60 inches throughout the match. Your strategy doesn't conflict with the rule. I would suggest you to ask this question also in Q&A.
  #78   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Sinecured Grand Poobah
AKA: Paul Dennis
FRC #1719 (The Umbrella Corp)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2005
aaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Sweet
Fin,

Yup, I got the same one as one of my first posts. One of my few reds actually. To newbies, the people on these forums may come off as attacking or rude sometimes, each and every person here. 99.9999999...% of the people here, aren't, and just come off so accidently. To anyone who gets a similar message as this, pat yourself on the back for searching and welcome to CD, it's a great place to be
This seems to be a common (wait, no, overwhelmingly common) occurence. So all I've got to say newbz is search before you post, jeez!

Just kidding.

If you found that offensive I'm sorry but it was too funny.

I really do apologize.

So my point, aside from bad jokes that aren't half as funny told through a forum, is that there's a good way and a not as good way to help people post in the correct place, etc etc. I know I'm not going to get shouted down for this here, but I'm not sure exactly /WHY/ bringing back an old thread is a big deal. Ah, whatever.

Also, for me, myself, personally (that's me) I am more cautious posting a new thread and less cautious jumping into an ongoing discussion. Now I guess not everyone has to be exactly like me, but we could all try a little harder.

/end rant
/end rave
/end ramble
  #79   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2006, 09:34 PM
Sinecured Grand Poobah
AKA: Paul Dennis
FRC #1719 (The Umbrella Corp)
Team Role: College Student

aaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefin Bari
From my understanding, that shouldn't be a problem. The rule says, your bot can't be extended more than 60 inches throughout the match. Your strategy doesn't conflict with the rule. I would suggest you to ask this question also in Q&A.

From my understanding this WOULD be a violation. However, I'm really not sure. I've been pretty imersed in a lot of things, so though I haven't drowned, I haven't made it through the entire rulebook either. I have no interest in (and neither does Arefin, I'm sure) in entering into a flame/dispute. I very well could be wrong.

Don't listen to me.
  #80   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2006, 09:37 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaeamdar
I know I'm not going to get shouted down for this here, but I'm not sure exactly /WHY/ bringing back an old thread is a big deal.
It actually depends on the thread. If it's a highly controversial topic, and most people decide to let it lie, then one person comes along and brings it up again, people will jump back in and duke it out again. Most people don't like this. There are other threads (mostly in Chit-Chat or Game Design, I think) where it's almost expected that the thread will die, then be revived later by someone with a new point of view. If it's a thread like this one, most people out there won't get mad.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #81   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2006, 09:43 PM
FRC #0108 (SigmaC@T)

Arefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Arefin Bari Send a message via AIM to Arefin Bari Send a message via MSN to Arefin Bari Send a message via Yahoo to Arefin Bari

We are getting way off topic in this thread. Please PM each other about your concerns.

... and here is the answer for AceOfSpades...

<R05> At the beginning of the match, the maximum allowed size of the robot is 28 inches (71.12cm) by 38
inches (96.52cm) by 60 inches (152.40cm) tall.

<R08> Once a match begins, robots may extend horizontally beyond the 28-inch x 38-inch starting size under
their own power, up to a limit of 60 inches in either horizontal cardinal dimension. The robot may not exceed
the 60-inch height restriction at any time during the match. In other words, after the start of the match the
robot may expand up to a maximum volume of 60 inches by 60 inches by 60 inches. The one exception to the
height restriction is provided in Rule

<R13>. Any restraints (elastic bands, springs, etc.) that are used to
maintain starting size must remain attached to the robot for the duration of the match.

To answer your question (again) AceOfSpades... I don't see a problem with your strategy. Good luck.
  #82   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2006, 10:06 PM
Financial Engineer
FRC #4991 (HORSEpower)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Conor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, yeah it's going wayyyyyy off topic. So heres a refresher on what the real topic is.

Its pretty much saying that we are here to help you, and usually we can, but we come off mean at times. It happens, thats life, some times it gets worse, like you PM someone yelling at them and give them negative reputation.

Veteran members-let it slide. You were a rookie once too, and I'm sure you thought about that question also at one point or another. Answer the question, ask if they have any more questions and help them.

As for the new guys out there, try to help us too, search the forums, search the rules. Please read through the rules completely if you haven't had a chance yet. That applies to everyone, you may think of something you haven't thought of yet too. If your thinking if making a thread, don't just search, browse around too, find the best sub forum for it to be in. It'll help the speed in which your answer will get question answered and you won't have to use the Shunned *bump* (nobody really likes them that much, if you do bump it, add something constructive to it, so it just doesn't say "Bump")

Welcome to Hotel ChiefDelphi
Such a lovely place
Such a lovely place (background)
Such a lovely interface
Plenty of room at the Hotel ChiefDelphi
Any time of year
Any time of year (background)
You can find it here
You can find it here
  #83   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Apparently MOE's Resident Artist
AKA: Sarah B
FRC #0365 (MOE 365)
Team Role: Electrical

Iggy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Iggy Send a message via MSN to Iggy Send a message via Yahoo to Iggy

Great, now I have that song stuck in my head, with the new words.

(And considering there is a rule saying you cannot attatch yourself to parts of the field, etc, I would think that is against the rules. I forget where it is in the rules, I'm too lazy to look at the moment)
  #84   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2006, 07:30 AM
FRC #1330 (Quiet Riot)

yea so how do you change your avatar to your own personal one?????????????????????????
  #85   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2006, 07:32 AM
FRC #0108 (SigmaC@T)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceOfSpades
yea so how do you change your avatar to your own personal one?????????????????????????
You browse for the avator on your pc (you made or the one you want) and choose that as yours under user cp.
  #86   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2006, 07:34 AM
FRC #1330 (Quiet Riot)

thx man!
  #87   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2006, 11:24 AM
None #0935 (Railerobotics)
Team Role: Webmaster

Rookie Year: 2004
Eria4044 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Eria4044

You'll probably have to resize it, though, since it can only be 80x80 pixels.
  #88   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2006, 06:21 PM
AKA: Gavriel
FRC #1515 (MorTorq)

Rookie Year: 2006
windup zeppelin has a spectacular aura aboutwindup zeppelin has a spectacular aura aboutwindup zeppelin has a spectacular aura about

im a newbie, and i dont know how to use this site at allllllll
  #89   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2006, 06:40 PM
Japanese-crap freak(NOTE AVATAR)
AKA: Alex Abenoja, A-Squared, & Anime
FRC #0599 (Robodox)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2006
Anime-niac_2.9 will become famous soon enough

what is there to not understand? we simply post replies in accordance to what the person before us has posted to have a discussion. Most are robotics related, others are not. go look for them.

Reading: Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu by Tanigawa Nagaru
Religion: Haruhiism
  #90   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2006, 08:03 PM
Apparently MOE's Resident Artist
AKA: Sarah B
FRC #0365 (MOE 365)
Team Role: Electrical

Iggy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Iggy Send a message via MSN to Iggy Send a message via Yahoo to Iggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by windup zeppelin
im a newbie, and i dont know how to use this site at allllllll
Well you just learned how to post ^-^ Now get out there and post s'more to other things
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: