OCCRA
Go to Post It would appear that your PLTW teacher succeeded in tricking you into learning something after all. Teachers are sneaky that way! - Richard Wallace [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Chit-Chat
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2005, 09:55 AM
no team
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2004
kayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to kayla13 Send a message via MSN to kayla13
Lightbulb Sleep Patterns- When do you wake up?

I find that a lot of people my age or older get up much later than you would expect(IE. 10a.m 2p.m). I find it very much a waste of life to get up that way, and I disagree with people who sleep in that late. In my opinion I would rather go to a party get back at 4 a.m and sleep till seven than sleeping in. I get up at 6:30 everyday and exercise or walk my dog. It was just the other day I got back from dance at eleven and everyone was waking up. I started talking to all the people and someone said "what's up?" and I replied "I woke up at six for dance and I just accomplished one of my life goals while you were asleep!!!" . I don't think anyone really realizes the valuable placement of that time and how it can be used. This is one of my pet peeves and it will always bug me but I don't understand why everyone gets up so late. I will exclude people who work really late or go out to a party but the worst thing is to go to bed at like 11 and wake up at 2 p.m the next day.

Quote:
Your sluggishness may be related to not eating enough kcal. If you don't eat enough calories, your body doesn't have enough energy to "get up and go" in the morning. To increase your calorie intake, try buying a variety of nuts, seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, etc.), and dried fruits to make your own trail mix. Each day put about one cup (an average coffee mug is one cup) into a bag and carry it with you to snack on through the day. Besides added calories, you will also be getting a good source of vitamins, minerals, and some protein into your diet. At meal times, include healthy size portions of grains [whole wheat, brown rice, oats, barley, buckwheat (kasha), etc.], vegetables, fruit, and legumes (dried beans and peas), and use a moderate amount of vegetable oil (canola and olive are good choices) for cooking. A substantial diet of whole grains should help you put on that bulk you've been looking for also.

In terms of exercise, a level of 20 - 40 minutes of aerobic activity 3 - 5 times a week is an adequate amount to get the cardiovascular and energy boosting benefits of exercise. Exercise in excess of about one hour of aerobic activity five or more times a week should be reserved for those training for a competitive sport. High levels of exercise increase the risk of sports-related injury. About sleep, try to go to bed and wake up at close to the same time each day. Although this is nearly impossible on a student schedule, you can try to get on an even keel to start off the semester. If you wake up at 11:00 AM most days and get up for an 8:00 AM class two days a week, you most likely will feel like you never quite wake up on the two early days, even if your total amount of sleep is adequate. So you'd have to shoot for waking up early every day, and going to sleep earlier more regularly to maintain good sleep habits. Good luck, and don't worry!

-http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/0481.html
Quote:
Most teens need about 8 1/2 to more than 9 hours of sleep each night. The right amount of sleep is essential for anyone who wants to do well on a test or play sports without tripping over their feet. Unfortunately, though, many teens don't get enough sleep. - this is soemwhat true but if you do any type of sports or activity during the day the time could decrease or increase vastly...

Think baby steps. You may be tempted to set the alarm 2 hours earlier than normal to catch a 6 am Spinning class, but don't do it. Chances are the only muscles that will get a workout will be those in your fingers as you repeatedly hit the snooze button. Even if you do manage to drag yourself out of bed, you'll plod through an uncomfortable workout, making an encore performance unlikely.

Your initial goal should be to wake up a mere 10 to 15 minutes earlier. Just roll out of bed and onto the floor for a few mabe do some exercises or somethign to keep you're energy level up. Also trying to wake up and/or going to bed at the same time will really help with the energy you have in the day. I always go to bed at 11 or later and I always wake up at 6;30 no alarm clock I do dance or work all day. I find that even by the end of the day I have all hte energy I did in the morning. It also effects you're mood and how you respect and take in other people and situations.

-http://www.apa.org/monitor/oct01/sleepteen.html
Quote:
Until recently, teens were often given a bad rap for staying up late, oversleeping for school, and falling asleep in class. But recent studies show that adolescent sleep patterns actually differ from those of adults or kids.
After the age of 11 studies show you biological clock is reset, telling a person to fall asleep later and wake up later. Unlike kids and adults, whose bodies tell them to go to sleep and wake up earlier, most teens' bodies tell them go to sleep late at night and sleep into the late morning. These changes in the body's circadian rhythm coincide with a time when we're busier than ever. For most teens, the pressure to do well in school is more intense than when they were kids, and it's harder to get by without studying hard. But teens also have other demands on their time - everything from sports and other extracurricular activities to fitting in a part-time job to save money for college. If the biological clock is overcome it can become a good health choice if it is overcoem in the right way.

-http://www.prevention.com/article/0,5778,s1-2-69-236-4703-1,00.html
Why do you wake up late?
Is it from working late?
Is it from being out to late a party with friends?
Is it from alcohol intake?
When did you start waking up late?

-Kayla
-sorry for the long post but I had to say it

Last edited by kayla13 : 07-20-2005 at 06:49 PM. Reason: forgot the sources and credits! thanks mike and joe for reminding me!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2005, 10:48 AM
AKA: 2415
FRC #2415
Team Role: Mentor

santosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond reputesantosh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to santosh
Re: Sleep Patterns- When do you wake up?

I get up at 2 p.m. mostly and go to slep from like midnight to 3 a.m. Only thing I get up for really is outreach events. We have had quit a few of those.

Well I started waking up late, because I need a break and it is summer, and it is a lot better than during the school year waking up at 5:30 to make the bus stop at 6:15.
I don't work late that much
For some reason, partying with friends, makes me wake up earlier the next day.
I don't drink
I probably started waking up this late once school let out.
kiddies kiddies kiddies

Last edited by santosh : 07-20-2005 at 10:52 AM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2005, 10:51 AM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

In the summer I am waking up at about 7:45 Mon-Thurs and Sat to go to school. In the regular school year, I would usually get up at 5:50 Mon-Fri to go to school.

I get up when I have to but when I don't have to, forget about it. People sleep because they were up late or because they are tired. Both cases apply to me.

Even when I wake up at 7:45am to go to school and get home at like 12:30pm, sometimes I eat lunch, watch some TV, then fall asleep for an hour or two.

Sleep is good.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Purchase Cree LED Bulbs from the Team 696 Online Store
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2005, 11:12 AM
Its been a long time.
AKA: Stevie Alvarado
FRC #0065 (The Huskie Brigade)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
xzvrw2 has a reputation beyond reputexzvrw2 has a reputation beyond reputexzvrw2 has a reputation beyond reputexzvrw2 has a reputation beyond reputexzvrw2 has a reputation beyond reputexzvrw2 has a reputation beyond reputexzvrw2 has a reputation beyond reputexzvrw2 has a reputation beyond reputexzvrw2 has a reputation beyond reputexzvrw2 has a reputation beyond reputexzvrw2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to xzvrw2

I think the same as you, Kayla. I fall asleep around 11 or 12 pm and wake up at about 8 am. Every now and then iI wake up at like 9 or 10 am, but that is not very often. I think it is a waste of time to sleep in all day.
my FIRST acomplishments: 2003:GLR Chairmans winner, MWR Finalist, Archimedes Division winner, National Champion (w/ 111 and 469) 2004:MWR Finalist 2005:GLR Chairmans winner, MWR Finalist, MWR Innovation in Controls award 2006:hmmm wow, umm we got picked 4th overall at Nats by 121
my FIRST resume: 65 (2003-2006)
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2005, 11:34 AM
Perpetually Stunned Speechless
AKA: Joeseph Smith
FRC #0066

Rookie Year: 2001
JoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to JoeXIII'007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla13
1. Why do you wake up late?
2. Is it from working late?
3. Is it from being out to late a party with friends?
4. Is it from alcohol intake?
5. When did you start waking up late?
First of all, I try to wake up at about 9 a.m. during the summer, and 6 a.m during the school year. I never sleep into the afternoon.
1. Stayed up late doing stuff usually to about 1 a.m. (This is NOT during a school night.) Either on the web or playing a good RPG of sorts. (Tales of Symphonia as an example)
2. I don't have a job, yet.
3. I don't party that much, and any party is that when I go to a friends house to play Magic: The Gathering all night.
4. Alcohol? WHAT? Never done it, never will.
5. Back when I was 12, 13, something like that.

In short, I don't care about quantity as much as I care about quality of sleep. If I sleep straight through the night, which is rare, I'm happy. If I get the right sleep so that I can get up, see a good morning, walk the dog, go to school and do what I always do (which is work hard to keep a 4.0), take a bike ride in the evening, keep my thoughts straight, etc. I'm content.

I personally think that an abundance of sleep is just as bad as a lack of sleep.

And to those health 'experts' who think they know what we need: You've forgotten the most important fact, that the human body is not a constant but a variable machine. No two are the same, have the same requirements, etc.

That's my two cents. -Joe

P.S. For the record, I've never really used an alarm.

Last edited by JoeXIII'007 : 07-20-2005 at 06:37 PM.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2005, 12:00 PM
FRC #0204

Freddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond reputeFreddy Schurr has a reputation beyond repute

Here my Sleep Schedule

School Year- 12:30pm to 6:25 but there were times when I when to sleep around 1, 2 even 4 am and wake up to go to school.

Summer- Yeah, its bad. I go to bed around 5:00 am ish, and wake up between 10:00 am to 2:00 pm.

I think that high school is a helper of your sleep pattern. Because, it gives you a set schedule, it tells you when to wake up and if you don't follow you are done and you basically saying goodbye to that diploma. Also I think stress comes into play.

But now with college and working, who knows what my sleepiness will have in store for the future.

I NEED SLEEP !!!!!!!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2005, 12:51 PM
FRC #0573 (Mech Warriors)

Lisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond reputeLisa Perez has a reputation beyond repute

(My schedule in high school definitely contributed to my attitude toward sleep today. During the school year, I slept from 1 AM to 5 AM. Now that it's summer, I sleep from 1 AM to 9:30 AM. The most of us students who do sleep in are, in theory, just trying to catch up on the hours that we have missed during the school year.)

In all sincere opinion, I might have to differ on the point that sleeping in on non-work days is a waste of life. As I see it, if a person is well-rested, he or she will enjoy his or her waking hours even more. Personally, I can't enjoy my time with my friends and family or time doing activities as much if I am dead tired.

A person who sleeps in, I believe, is equally capable of making good use of his or her life as someone who is awake more of the day. It just depends on how those waking hours are used, and how driven that person chooses to be during such hours

Mentor - Team 573, Mech Warriors
Former Mentor - Team 830, Rat Pack and Team 3182, Athena's Warriors
Proud Alumna - Team 573, Mech Warriors and Team 1, Juggernauts
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2005, 01:02 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
KyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant future

My sleep schedule is pretty much consistent throughout the whole year. I usually go to sleep around 1am-2am and wake up anywhere between 8am-8:30am. I've just found that between working all day during the summer and having class all day during the "school year" that I get everything done for the day around midnight and then it usually takes an hour or two for me to settle down from the hectic day.

The only time my sleep schedule ever changes is on the weekends and if there is any kind of event going on that doesn't occur every day.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2005, 01:38 PM
has common ground with Matt Krass
AKA: Mike Sorrenti
FRC #0237 (Sie-H2O-Bots (See-Hoe-Bots) [T.R.I.B.E.])
Team Role: Programmer

Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond repute

I just woke up... it's 1:30PM my time. I've been known to wake up at 2:30 so this is kinda early. I went to sleep at 2:30AM last nigh--this morning, so I'm getting 11 hours of sleep. I eat about 3,500 calories a day so thats not the cause. I workout 3 times a week for about an hour so thats not the cause.

I wouldn't call it wasting my life either, none of the parties I go to are in the morning and a good portion of my friends have the same kind of sleeping habits as me.

If you do need to get up early, I found this article on the web.

Sooo
Why do you wake up late? Because I usually go to sleep at 3 in the morning.
Is it from working late? Uhh... sometimes I work late... most of the time I just read up on /.
Is it from being out to late a party with friends? The 'rents would never let me out past 12
Is it from alcohol intake? I wouldn't ask that question on a forum where the average demograph is 14-18 years old.
When did you start waking up late? Whenever I could.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2005, 02:07 PM
no team

tiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to tiffany34990

well usually during the summer i get to bed by 2 and sleep till 8.... if i don't feel good or what ever i sleep till 9/10

high school well had to wake up at 5:30 and went to bed by 1 with all my homework...but now i'll just have to be up by 7:30...

i probably started sleeping later due to the lack of sleep i got in high school from so much stress and work... if i'm over stressed i don't sleep well i know...we all have our own patterns..you just have to realize them and yeah
we all have to get to sleep.. so get some...
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2005, 02:09 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory

During school I wakeup between 6:30 and 8:00 depending on the day.

During the summer I've been waking up at 10:00 since I have a class at 11:00

On weekends I like to sleep as late as possible... I usually wakeup around 12:00-1:00.

I stay up until at least 2-3 AM every night, and usually don't get the "reccomended" amount of sleep.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2005, 02:27 PM
AKA: Allison Kneisler
FRC #3538 (Avondale RoboJackets)

Allison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond reputeAllison K has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Allison K

During the Summer, I get up at 7:00, leave for work at 7:30, and generally get home between 11:00 pm and midnight (I get out of work at 5:30 but robotics and other social events usually occupy the rest of the evening). It usually takes about two hours for me to finish up robotics work, laundry, etc. and I'm in bed between 1:00 and 2:00 am.

During the school year I refuse to take any class earlier than 9:00. I don't think I can manage the hectic summer schedule year-around. I do however try to get my morning classes to all start around the same time. It really throws my schedule off when I have a class at 9:00 am one day and then nothing until noon the next day.

Lucky for me the sleep I do get is pretty good quality sleep. I rarely ever wake up at night, even if someone tries to wake me up (I slept throught the fire alarm at school once).

~Allison
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2005, 02:36 PM
no team

Clark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

During school I wake up between 6 AM & 8 AM, no matter when my classes are. I usually find myself going to bed between 1 AM and 3 AM depending on how I feel (earlier if I'm sick or flat out dead from exams/etc).

During summer I tend to get tired around midnight because there isn't anything to do in this town, but I usually go to bed between 12:30 AM & 1 AM. During the weekdays I get up at 7:55 AM everyday and on the weekends I try to sleep in till 9:30 AM.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2005, 04:56 PM
Fire Rescue 47
AKA: Kyle Dersch
FRC #1023 (Bedford Express)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2005
KTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KTorak

During the school year, I try to go to bed by 11/11:30 PM if at all possible, during robotics season, its probably closer to 1 AM. I *always* get up by 5:45 AM for school to be out the door by 6:45 AM. During the weekends, I regularly hang out with friends and stuff to 11:30 PM/12 AM, sometimes later depending on the circumstances. Even though I stay out late then, I'm usually up by around 8/9 AM.

During the summer, my schedule for sleep depends on what I have going on. Some times I get really messed up having to stay out late doing something one night, then having to be up at say 5 AM the next day. But, I try to crawl out of bed no later than 10 AM during the summer, assuming I went to bed before 3 AM.

Why do you wake up late? Because I am out late doing stuff usually, or really exhausted from my previous day.
Is it from working late? Nope, I don't have a job and won't have one until March.
Is it from being out to late a party with friends? Depends, sometimes that is the cause.
Is it from alcohol intake? Uhh...no as I'm only 15.
When did you start waking up late? When I entered Junior High. In elementary school, I recall waking up at like 6 AM when I could have slept to 8, ofcourse then, I'd go to bed by 9/9:30 PM.
2006 Bedford Express Driver, Build Team Member, & Board of Directors
2005 Bedford Express Rookie, Build Team Member & Robot Operator
-
2008 - GLR Quarter Finalist
2007 - GLR Finalist & Boilermaker Finalist & MARC Off Season Event Winner
2006 - GLR Johnson & Johnson Sportsmanship Award & Archimedes 7th Seed Quarter Finalist
2005 - GLR Finalist & Judges Award.
2004 - GLR Semi Finalist.
2003 - GLR/DTR Quarter Finalist & GLR/NAT'L Rookie All Star.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2005, 06:12 PM
OSNAP. a gear flew out of the robot
no team
Team Role: College Student

wilshire is just really nicewilshire is just really nicewilshire is just really nicewilshire is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to wilshire

During regular school days i go to sleep at 1-3 a.m. and wake up at 5:30 am
During build season i sleep maybe 3 hours per 48 hours.
during summer...well i get sleep whenever i can get it.

Purdue FIRST Teams
Team 461 -http://www.boilerinvasion.org/
Team 1646 - http://www.precisionguessworks.org/
Team 1747 - www.harrisonboilerrobotics.org

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: