Go to Post I don't think Brandon is actually doing this, I think he has CD-47 Bot and Archiver locked in a closet doing all this while he has fun - Mike Schroeder [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2005, 08:38 AM
Linux Nerd
AKA: John D
#0245 (Adam-Bots)
Team Role: Programmer

jdong will become famous soon enoughjdong will become famous soon enough
Linux-Powered Robots and Flexible Programming

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...1&page=4&pp=15

This is a continuation of the "Let's Have Linux Robots" thread, which I thought would now appeal to the Programming folks a lot more.

After some summer hacking fun, I got a set of proof-of-concept scripts together. From the release notes:

Quote:
1. IFI code that sends 2 joysticks, encoder readouts (with support for non-quadrature encoders), and accepts 4 PWMs
2. Hacked-together Python scripts that sport various nifty features:
* A record & playback solution: We've recorded 30-second tetra manipulating routines that played back flawlessly. The system uses millisecond-accurate timestamps to synchronize in case of lost packets during recording.
* A simple PID demo to be used with non-quadrature encoders or hall-effects: This needs tweaking to your robot. We will be writing up tweaking documentation for you to play with soon.

Note that this code is for proof of concept purposes: they're hack jobs to prove that the DFCP is technically feasible and a valuable addition to the robot! The ultimate goal is the OrionPluginInterface?, a TCP/IP-based, fully modular and layered protocol. This will allow you the ultimate in flexibility and compatibility, and even some cool possibilities while you're not competing (i.e. using a WiFi? enabled coprocessor and programming it remotely from the driver's station)
If you're interested in trying it (requires a Linux laptop), see http://adambots.gotdns.com/cgi-bin/v...rceCoProcessor for an overview, and http://adambots.gotdns.com/cgi-bin/v...onPreviewNotes for getting started directions.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2005, 08:46 AM
Proto-Engineer
AKA: Bjorn Westergard
FRC #1418 (Vae Victus)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
phrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to phrontist
Thumbs up Re: Linux-Powered Robots and Flexible Programming

Wow. Many have thought about this, you actually did it. Awesome!

University of Kentucky - Radio Free Lexington

"I would rather have a really big success or a really spectacular crash and failure then live out the warm eventual death of mediocrity" - Dean Kamen
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2005, 09:51 AM
An inspired alumnus
AKA: Jamie Bliss
no team (previously 904 (D-cubed) and 1227 (Techno-Gremlins))
Team Role: Alumni

Astronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Astronouth7303 Send a message via AIM to Astronouth7303 Send a message via MSN to Astronouth7303 Send a message via Yahoo to Astronouth7303
Re: Linux-Powered Robots and Flexible Programming

I actually blogged about this some time ago. I'm glad to see someone's tried it!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2005, 10:07 AM
Programming User
FRC #1317 (Digital Fusion)

Ryan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud ofRyan M. has much to be proud of

Well... now I just have to get a USB/serial convertor which actually works...

Nice work. I will try this out as soon as I can get my hands on an old robot.

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Win Anyway.
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron)
Team Role: Mentor

Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Looks impressive. I'll be very interested to see how updated versions pan out.
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP IRI? SCRIW IV (48,749.9 miles)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2005, 10:31 AM
Linux Nerd
#0245 (Adam-Bots)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronouth7303
I actually blogged about this some time ago. I'm glad to see someone's tried it!
Regarding power, we've successfully powered our embedded chip of choice (Gumstix + CF + Serial) with a 12V-5V DC regulator, which should be allowed in the rules (harmless, 500mA max) as custom electronics. Worse comes to worse, we'll use the 5V from a few digital IO pins, lol.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Electrical Engineer
AKA: Phil Baltar
FRC #1351
Team Role: College Student

sciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to sciguy125 Send a message via MSN to sciguy125 Send a message via Yahoo to sciguy125

Hmm... If you install Apache and use some CGI, you could make the robot controllable through a web based interface. Although, Java would probably get you better real-time performance.

Props on the project though.

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GE/S/P a-- e y-- r-- s:++ d+ h! X+++
t++ C+ P+ L++ E W++ w M-- V? PS+ PE+
5- R-- tv+ b+ DI+++ D- G
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2005, 01:18 PM
Linux Nerd
#0245 (Adam-Bots)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciguy125
Hmm... If you install Apache and use some CGI, you could make the robot controllable through a web based interface. Although, Java would probably get you better real-time performance.

Props on the project though.
I think mod_perl would get you the max performance, since it caches and precompiles. Python with psyco would get you interesting performance too.

And since the final solution (http://ubuntubackports.org/adambots-...modular/README) will be TCP/IP based to begin with, you can use WiFi to control the robot remotely while developing your robot software... Imagine that, tweaking the robot without lugging it back within reach of the serial cable, pushing the annoying button that's next to the sharp pointy pins that I've stabbed myself with multiple times.....
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2005, 02:18 PM
The red haired Dremel gnome!
FRC #0623 (Ohm robotics)
Team Role: Electrical

mechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to mechanicalbrain Send a message via Yahoo to mechanicalbrain

I like this but I'm wondering if it will be legal for the FIRST games. This is probably something that should go to FIRST's FAQ (I don't think they had this in mind when they wrote those rules!). I hope it is legal it would allow for some interesting robots! However I also feel this pang that makes me wonder if this gives an unfair advantage over teams unable to do this (assuming its legal :roll eyes: ). Our school has a JAVA class and if you can get the robot to function on JAVA our team will probably have 30-40 able programmers! (I'm serious!) Most programmers at our school don't do it in robotics because its not object oriented and were too lazy to do anything but java!

Last edited by mechanicalbrain : 08-22-2005 at 02:25 PM.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2005, 03:34 PM
has common ground with Matt Krass
AKA: Mike Sorrenti
FRC #0237 (Sie-H2O-Bots (See-Hoe-Bots) [T.R.I.B.E.])

Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalbrain
I like this but I'm wondering if it will be legal for the FIRST games. This is probably something that should go to FIRST's FAQ (I don't think they had this in mind when they wrote those rules!). I hope it is legal it would allow for some interesting robots! However I also feel this pang that makes me wonder if this gives an unfair advantage over teams unable to do this (assuming its legal :roll eyes: ). Our school has a JAVA class and if you can get the robot to function on JAVA our team will probably have 30-40 able programmers! (I'm serious!) Most programmers at our school don't do it in robotics because its not object oriented and were too lazy to do anything but java!
I think as long as the co-processor is under $200 this is perfectly legal. By that logic you could also say that teams shouldn't build arms because it gives teams an unfair advantage over those who don't have the resources to build an arm. If you have the resources and time, it should be perfectly legal. A rule that would make that illegal would pretty much halt the innovative think tank that FIRST has become.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2005, 03:39 PM
Umm Errr...
None #1139 (Chamblee Gear Grinders)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
Rickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Rickertsen2 Send a message via Yahoo to Rickertsen2

Quote:
I like this but I'm wondering if it will be legal for the FIRST games.
It only differs from the coprocessors that many teams have been using for years in that it is more powerful.

Quote:
However I also feel this pang that makes me wonder if this gives an unfair advantage over teams unable to do this (assuming its legal :roll eyes: ).
So i suppose we should have a rule that allows inspectors to reject mechanisms because they are too sophisticated?
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2005, 04:21 PM
The red haired Dremel gnome!
FRC #0623 (Ohm robotics)
Team Role: Electrical

mechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to mechanicalbrain Send a message via Yahoo to mechanicalbrain

Ok thats like saying that we can use a more powerfull motor because its still a motor. Im just saying allot of teams won't be able to do something like this so you got to weigh how much of an advantage does it give over other teams. however Adam Richards said it best when he said "We don't know. The rules are still subject to change until January 7th, 2006. They might include a laptop with a linux kernel on it next year in the kit and say "Go Forth Students, and program us a LinuxBot!" (as said in IM)" Based on this years rules i think that the rules are pretty clear about just using the RC to control the bot. However by all means go forth and develope this technology im the last one to stand in the way of new advances! Just saying don't make a robot dependent on this and get to the competition just to find its not legal. Get it in writing!!! This is exactly the type of thing you want to check with FIRST on.

Last edited by mechanicalbrain : 08-22-2005 at 04:29 PM.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2005, 04:43 PM
has common ground with Matt Krass
AKA: Mike Sorrenti
FRC #0237 (Sie-H2O-Bots (See-Hoe-Bots) [T.R.I.B.E.])

Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ok thats like saying that we can use a more powerfull motor because its still a motor. Im just saying allot of teams won't be able to do something like this so you got to weigh how much of an advantage does it give over other teams. however Adam Richards said it best when he said "We don't know. The rules are still subject to change until January 7th, 2006. They might include a laptop with a linux kernel on it next year in the kit and say "Go Forth Students, and program us a LinuxBot!" (as said in IM)" Based on this years rules i think that the rules are pretty clear about just using the RC to control the bot. However by all means go forth and develope this technology im the last one to stand in the way of new advances! Just saying don't make a robot dependent on this and get to the competition just to find its not legal. Get it in writing!!! This is exactly the type of thing you want to check with FIRST on.
I think a better analogy is that if there were a team out there that invented a better motor, they should be able to use it.

You are right, we definetly do need to wait until the new rules are out to be 100% sure.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2005, 05:06 PM
Linux Nerd
#0245 (Adam-Bots)

Guys, we're (or at least Team 245) are not planning to leave anyone behind. The solution costs $200 max (more like mid-100's), and can be FREE if you have junk lying around.

I'm developing all of this Open source, focusing on community-contributed modules and code that anyone can use.

Other teams have used coprocessors before, so I see nothing different here. Analyzing the "Custom Electronics" rules one-by-one, we're in the clear as long as the coprocessor doesn't send out PWMs or communicate to someone in the stands with Wifi in the middle of a match
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-22-2005, 05:11 PM
Linux Nerd
#0245 (Adam-Bots)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickertsen2
So i suppose we should have a rule that allows inspectors to reject mechanisms because they are too sophisticated?
LOL, in OCCRA (a local, mini-FIRST-like competition), we've had inspectors stop us from putting limit switches on our robot because it's too "dangerous" and carries "live voltage"

But as far as legality, I don't want this to be implemented as a "loophole", it'd be much better if we can get a group of supporters ( you guys with our programming team) to approach the FIRST folks and try to ensure that next year's rules won't deny innovation in FIRST programming.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: