Go to Post Itís impossible to know whoís life you will change forever. Donít miss an opportunity. Iím an optimist. Have a great season. This is the year. - Rich Kressly [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: Which aspect of FIRST gives you the most inspiration?
The competitions 16 13.22%
The travel 1 0.83%
The people 80 66.12%
The robot 24 19.83%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2005, 01:36 PM
It's a SPAM thing...
AKA: George1083; George180
FRC #0180 (SPAM)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
George1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond repute
Which aspect of FIRST gives you the most inspiration?

I was talking about FIRST with a friend, and the age-old discussion of the I in FIRST came up. So, I was inspired () to ask:

What part of FIRST most inspires you?

Is it the competition itself? Do you want to win more than anything? Do you feel less inspired if you don't go home with an award?

Is it the traveling? Are the bus and plane rides to cool places worth more than how you actually do at the events? Is it worth it all just for the trips to the amusement parks?

Is it the people? Are your friends and teammates what inspire you? Do you love the competitions mostly because you get to see people in person that you only get to talk to most of the year?

Is it the robot? Are you most inspired by starting a project from scratch and seeing it to completion? Is seeing your designs and ideas in action what drives you forward?

There is no right answer, and I'm sure each of us are inspired by each of these things in some way. The question is simply which one most inspires you.

/Edit/ Forgot to add the poll... oops ;-]

ďFirst they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.Ē
-- Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by George1902 : 08-23-2005 at 08:11 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2005, 01:39 PM
is getting lost in her new home
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta), #1504 (alum), #67 (alum)

Rookie Year: 2003
Beth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which aspect of FIRST gives you the most inspiration?

The part that I think is most inspiring is the students being able to work hand in hand with the people who they aspire to be like within a few years. The students not only get to work with those who practice their future careers, but also get to formulate friendships with them. I don't think that the most inspirational part of FIRST has anything to do with the competition, the robot or anything similar. It's about the people, and I hope that it always will be.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2005, 01:49 PM
AKA: Ari
FRC #0108 (SigmaC@T)

Rookie Year: 2001
Arefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Arefin Bari Send a message via AIM to Arefin Bari Send a message via MSN to Arefin Bari Send a message via Yahoo to Arefin Bari

I think it will be very hard to find one aspect of FIRST which doesn't inspire us.

... That being said, I always look forward to seeing my friends/mentors/gurus all over again... at the same time, it feels good when I see a team working together and coming up with a machine that does what it needs to do out on the field. Competitions get me hyped too. I don't get upset if we don't win any award.

George ... how about an option that says "All of the Above?"
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2005, 01:50 PM
AKA: Jevawn Roberts
FRC #1002 (CircuitRunners)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 1997
Jizvonius is just really niceJizvonius is just really niceJizvonius is just really niceJizvonius is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Jizvonius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Sweet
It's about the people, and I hope that it always will be.
I agree completely, the most inpiring part of FIRST for me is building the people along with the robot. The robot is cool, but the people have much more potential.

btw arefin, I notice that we've been on two of the same teams. nice.
gtfirst@robojackets.org

1997-2007 w00t for robots!

108-132-408-832-1002
5 teams worth of head scratching
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2005, 01:53 PM
FRC #1511
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
Ashley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by George1083
Is it the competition itself? Do you want to win more than anything? Do you feel less inspired if you don't go home with an award?
The competitions are great and fun, if you win an award or do well, it inspires to try to do more and continue forth, I dont think that the competitions are the main part of the inspiration though, I think it is nice though to be able to see what others come up with from the same idea.

Quote:
Is it the traveling? Are the bus and plane rides to cool places worth more than how you actually do at the events? Is it worth it all just for the trips to the amusement parks?
The travelling is an awesome experience [if you get along with your team mind you] I remember fun 3 or 5 hour car/bus rides to competitions this year, so many inside jokes and so many laughs, it was a good bonding experience -- but I dont feel this was "inspiration" either.

Quote:
Is it the people? Are your friends and teammates what inspire you? Do you love the competitions mostly because you get to see people in person that you only get to talk to most of the year?
The people in FIRST are amazing in my eyes. They accomplish so much and I think they are a huge part of the inspiration in FIRST. The mentors show you what you can do with your life, that some things are possible.

Yes, it is also nice to meet people at the competitions, many of the friends I have made in FIRST are so different than the people in my general area. It is nice to find people that are actually like me for once!

Quote:
Is it the robot? Are you most inspired by starting a project from scratch and seeing it to completion? Is seeing your designs and ideas in action what drives you forward?
I think the robot does help to inspire. Making an idea, or something drawn out on paper "come to life" is amazing, its not an everyday task for many students. It also shows that some things really can be done. And you dont have to be "an adult" to do it.

I think that FIRST in general shows that if you put your mind towards something, that just about anything can be done. And that is a good message.

So, to your last question, it is hard to choose which actually does inspire me most. But I think I would have to say for me, its the people.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2005, 01:59 PM
has common ground with Matt Krass
AKA: Mike Sorrenti
FRC #0237 (Sie-H2O-Bots (See-Hoe-Bots) [T.R.I.B.E.])
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2004
Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond repute

I think the robot is the thing that inspires me the most. Going from "Lets try to do this" and then seeing it actually do that is amazing. The awards are fun too, but all those are just positive reinforcement.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2005, 02:15 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
tiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to tiffany34990

George this is a very interesting topic you brought up.

The most I think overall if I had to choose would be the people for me personally. I've met so many great people here and I'll never forget what I've learned from them. Everyone here inspires each other and helps them out. That's why FIRST is amazing.

But of course every other aspect with the building of the robot, competition, traveling and all.. bring it all together and make it better. We have a goal, the spirit to fight, and the help to guide us and of course all the fun times in between. I can understand why some will say the robot b/c it does bring people together especially the team. It is what they all though up of and slaved away at. But you can't talk one element away. It just wouldn't be FIRST.

So it's hard to say which is the most inspiration, if i didn't have to choose one aspect I would have to say it all. FIRST overall with it's total package and experience is just amazing. I'm glad I found this crazy amazing world of FIRST. It's full of talent, fun and inspiration.

well that was my 2 cents in... I'm glad though FIRST is an inspiration for all of us. It can bring the very best in all of us.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2005, 02:35 PM
PhD-in-training
AKA: Melissa Thiessen
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
melitami is a jewel in the roughmelitami is a jewel in the roughmelitami is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to melitami

For me, it's the people. My parents and boyfriend (who is a former FIRSTer) ask me constantly why I still volunteer and why I'm still involved even though I'm well into my college years (graduating next June!). The most true answer I think I ever came up with was when I'm volunteering at a regional, and I see the looks on everyone's faces during the awards ceremonies both days, regardless of whether their team won an award or not. There's just a feeling there that I haven't experienced anywhere else, and it just keeps me coming back for more. That and the awesome people I've met along the way the past 6 years.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2005, 05:43 PM
KathieK's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Sometimes FIRST makes my head hurt!
AKA: FIRST Senior Mentor
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
KathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KathieK

I'm inspired by the people (I can never figure out the robot thing!). To be given the opportunity to watch students grow is amazing. Where else can you get so excited and so frustrated with people and still want to come back year after year to participate?
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2005, 09:08 PM
VEX Robotics Education Mgr.
no team (Formerly 103 & 1712. Now U.P. Robotics (other programs))

Rich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rich Kressly

People...
without them, the event venues would be empty
without them, no robot would get built
and travelling alone is potentially cool, but not necessarily inspiring
...People

Education Manager, VEX Robotics, Inc.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2005, 10:16 PM
Gone the way of the dinosaur
AKA: "Big Mike"
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
Mike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond reputeMike Schroeder has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mike Schroeder Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Schroeder

its gotta be the people. I've met so many amazing people, and ive learned so much through them, 2 being Wayne Cokeley and Paul Kloberg. They are the reason I stick around...

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard"-JFK
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2005, 10:20 PM
FRC #1732 (Hilltoppers)
Team Role: Engineer

John Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Wanninger has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, definitely the people, but then again we need robots to drive the people

"A hundred times every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving..."
--Albert Einstein

2001: FLL852 |2002: FLL20/FLL21 |2003: FLL23/FLL25 |2004: FLL14/FLL16 |2005: FVC22/FLL124 |2006: FLL3/FLL2986/FVC22/FRC1732 |2007:FLL3/FLL34/FLL56/FRC1732
2008: FLL3/FLL18/FRC1732 |2009: FLL101/FLL8963/FRC1732 ...(etc.!)
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2005, 10:43 PM
Robots are friends
AKA: tagger fanatic
FRC #1345 (Platinum Dragons); FRC# 97 (RoboRuminants)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2004
nehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nehalita Send a message via MSN to nehalita Send a message via Yahoo to nehalita

If it weren't for the people, I'd still be sitting with my team seeing this as only a competition, I would never even realize what FIRST is all about.

The people here provide help, entertainment, support and challenges -- it's like the real world but kinder and happier.

The other components are, no doubt, integral but without the great network we have developed in FIRST, that passion that keeps us going will eventually vanish.

--solely my opinion--

Proud Member of H.I.L.
The PLATINUM DRAGONS are on FIRE!
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2005, 10:52 PM
AKA: Kayla's big bro...
FRC #1620 (Robolution)

Rookie Year: 2005
Rohan_DHS is a glorious beacon of lightRohan_DHS is a glorious beacon of lightRohan_DHS is a glorious beacon of lightRohan_DHS is a glorious beacon of lightRohan_DHS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to Rohan_DHS Send a message via Skype™ to Rohan_DHS

I would have to say that building and maintaining the robot does inspire me quite a bit, but its probably the people who inspire me more, wether it be the mentors, peers, teachers, or people from different teams helping others, theres just something in all the action that makes me want to go back to be part of this group

well, thats my 2 cents at least :-\
2006: Team Captain, Driver, Electrical/Electronics Head
2005: Safety Captain
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2005, 11:29 PM
Perpetually Stunned Speechless
AKA: Joeseph Smith
FRC #0066

JoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to JoeXIII'007

Besides the existence of it, the people involved with FIRST are the biggest inspiration. Being in it for 2 years, the variety of types is the biggest shock. People who you think wouldn't even be involved are (and in some cases its also the other way around). Then comes the best moments where you meet someone that will change the way you look at a particular thing significantly.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: