OCCRA
Go to Post Are you confused yet? - Andy Grady [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Chit-Chat
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Gone to school, back in 2016
FRC #0269 (Cooney Robotics); FLL #1855 (Cooney Tech/St. Jerome)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
dubious elise has a reputation beyond reputedubious elise has a reputation beyond reputedubious elise has a reputation beyond reputedubious elise has a reputation beyond reputedubious elise has a reputation beyond reputedubious elise has a reputation beyond reputedubious elise has a reputation beyond reputedubious elise has a reputation beyond reputedubious elise has a reputation beyond reputedubious elise has a reputation beyond reputedubious elise has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Apple Killed the iPod Mini

Wowie, that's a beaut. Now I feel bad that I was so greedy at the end of May and coughed up all of my spare change (literally) to buy a green mini. At least its 6GB...and a bit of a rarity
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-07-2005, 07:10 PM
Survived year 1–year 2 comes quick!
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron); FLL #7016/7017 (Garnet Squadron Alfa/Bravo)
Team Role: Mentor

Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lesser
The sad part I see with this being the predecessor to the Mini is that...
a. It's 2/4 GB compared to the 4/6GB
b. It's 2 stale colors compared to 4 vibrant and different colors (compared to the other iPods). (Also, the fact that the click wheel on the black model is also black just prooves they were too lazy to think of another color).
Actually, Engadget had an interesting thing about the number of songs people actually put on their music players: http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000690057757/ (Now, granted, they included many players that had small capacities, but still.)

As for the colors, I'm still trying to figure out what's so bad about iPod white on silver. (shrug)
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV (51,569.9 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Down at the railroad
AKA: Jason Hartmann
FRC #0237 (Sie-H2O-Bots [T.R.I.B.E.])

Rookie Year: 1999
Jay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond reputeJay H 237 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jay H 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Sweet
Am I the only person who does not and has never owned one of these things?
You're not alone.

If I had one I'd probably destroy it. I only had my new digital camera for a week when I dropped it! Luckly it survived with only "battle scars".
2005 WINNERS of the Radio Shack Innovation in Control Award (not once, but twice! )
2004 WINNERS ------ Johnson & Johnson Mid-Atlantic Regional (also thanks to our alliances 56 & 303)
2004 General Motors Industrial Design Award Winners
2004 Archimedes Quarterfinalists (also thanks to our alliances 121 & 386)

NEMO _________ NonEngineering Mentor Organization
"Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot!" - author unknown
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-07-2005, 07:35 PM
Getting old
FRC #0095
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2001
Andy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had, nor felt the need for an Ipod.

My Creative Zen rocks louder, clearer and cheaper then the same sized ipod (any sized ipod at the time, actually). A few years ago the ipod really was the best player. Thats not so clear anymore. And with Apple pushing this kind of junk (it amounts to a $30 usb cable), I have to take ipod accessories with a grain of salt.

I was also amused to see Apple was careful to hedge their bets on battery life, with This page. I'm all for consumer education, so right on to Apple for making battery life issues clear. All the same, thats got to have a lot to do with that big fat law suit they just settled over some early gen ipods.

Still, My Creative has a replaceable battery. I'm on my second battery now, although the first one can still hold enough of a charge to last a few hours. I keep it in the glove box of my car in case the main one dies out on me. Why don't more players have that kind of niftyness?

-Andy A.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Reject False Icons
no team

Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy A.
I've never had, nor felt the need for an Ipod.

My Creative Zen rocks louder, clearer and cheaper then the same sized ipod (any sized ipod at the time, actually). A few years ago the ipod really was the best player. Thats not so clear anymore. And with Apple pushing this kind of junk (it amounts to a $30 usb cable), I have to take ipod accessories with a grain of salt.

I was also amused to see Apple was careful to hedge their bets on battery life, with This page. I'm all for consumer education, so right on to Apple for making battery life issues clear. All the same, thats got to have a lot to do with that big fat law suit they just settled over some early gen ipods.

Still, My Creative has a replaceable battery. I'm on my second battery now, although the first one can still hold enough of a charge to last a few hours. I keep it in the glove box of my car in case the main one dies out on me. Why don't more players have that kind of niftyness?

-Andy A.
Because people still put the batteries in backwards on every other device, and if it won't fit the first time, shove it in!
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-07-2005, 08:27 PM
The red haired Dremel gnome!
FRC #0623 (Ohm robotics)
Team Role: Electrical

mechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to mechanicalbrain Send a message via Yahoo to mechanicalbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor Ryan
How big, size wise, is the Hard Drive note in bytes is it? thats gotta be small, so its Flash.
Not necissarily. I know a couple of new hard drives that were developed within the last 3 years that could handle that. In fact i remember something about them being put into production recently. I love the black one! I really dislike white of blue.

#22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-07-2005, 08:35 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
tiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to tiffany34990

that's just like crazy WOW!!

it's pretty cool looking though.. and of course you just ask yourself..why can't have one of those lol
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-07-2005, 08:53 PM
Financial Engineer
no team (Robot Yacht Club)

Conor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalbrain
Not necissarily. I know a couple of new hard drives that were developed within the last 3 years that could handle that. In fact i remember something about them being put into production recently. I love the black one! I really dislike white of blue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Nano Site
Technical Specifications: iPod nano
Capacity

* 2GB or 4GB flash drive(1)
also on the site, it said skip free, and its impossible to have a disc based drive not be able to skip, so its flash, which doesn't skip.

Not only that, there aren't micro HDD's costeffective enough to do that yet, so check out the current record holder
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-07-2005, 09:00 PM
The red haired Dremel gnome!
FRC #0623 (Ohm robotics)
Team Role: Electrical

mechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond reputemechanicalbrain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to mechanicalbrain Send a message via Yahoo to mechanicalbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor Ryan
also on the site, it said skip free, and its impossible to have a disc based drive not be able to skip, so its flash, which doesn't skip.

Not only that, there aren't micro HDD's costeffective enough to do that yet, so check out the current record holder
I stand corrected! Yeah thats exactly what i was thinking. You could make a larger one to hold 2 to 4 gig and it would still be small enough. Actually my favorite is the Creative™ MuVo® TX MP3/FM Player (as seen here)
Not exactly as much data space but still really nice! I really love the way this thing turns into a jump drive is pretty amazing. Also huge respect for this baby!

Last edited by mechanicalbrain : 09-07-2005 at 09:17 PM.
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Bankai!
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Brian Lesser is a splendid one to beholdBrian Lesser is a splendid one to beholdBrian Lesser is a splendid one to beholdBrian Lesser is a splendid one to beholdBrian Lesser is a splendid one to beholdBrian Lesser is a splendid one to beholdBrian Lesser is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Brian Lesser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfred
Actually, Engadget had an interesting thing about the number of songs people actually put on their music players: http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000690057757/ (Now, granted, they included many players that had small capacities, but still.)

As for the colors, I'm still trying to figure out what's so bad about iPod white on silver. (shrug)
Not surprising (no offense), but at least we have a good, and somewhat, accurate number (Heck, I got 208 on my Shuffle)

As for the colors comment, the reason I made that comment is because the iPod Mini offered some color to the actuall plastic body of the player instead of having you buy a bunch of colored cases that cost $30 for 3 or 5 (2-4 that you probably won't use if you have a favorite color). The only exception is the U2 iPod (I still think that model is a bloody rip-off) and the solid black that the Nano offers. Other than that, Apple is nothing but "white this" and "white that." It makes me want to see the return of the old Apple icon.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-08-2005, 12:03 AM
#YoDawgSafetyFirst
FRC #4329 (Lutheran Roboteers)
Team Role: Coach

Ryan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Dognaux

4 GB is too small for me. If the technology arrises where they can take the storage space of the iPod and combine it with the size of the Nano, then I will buy one.

I got to say though that Apple's release on this product didn't surprise me. They come out with a new version of some kind of iPod all the time and people got to have the latest thing so they rush out and get it. Nano is smaller and has a color display. That's about the only difference I see between it and the Mini. Not worth buying a new one in my opinion.

I'll wait for Nano 4th generation or something like that before I consider throwing more money over to apple.
Team 4329 Mentor: Current
STL Off-Season Event: www.gatewayroboticschallenge.com
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-08-2005, 05:45 PM
Fire Rescue 47
AKA: Kyle Dersch
FRC #1023 (Bedford Express)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2005
KTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KTorak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle45
Nor do I...but you better believe its #1 on my Xmas list
I don't own one either. But, I wish to get one becuase I like to travel and it'd be nice to have on a train ride or flight...or even to plug into my car stereo. Needless to say, its on the top of my Xmas list also, along with the Nikon 5200.
2006 Bedford Express Driver, Build Team Member, & Board of Directors
2005 Bedford Express Rookie, Build Team Member & Robot Operator
-
2008 - GLR Quarter Finalist
2007 - GLR Finalist & Boilermaker Finalist & MARC Off Season Event Winner
2006 - GLR Johnson & Johnson Sportsmanship Award & Archimedes 7th Seed Quarter Finalist
2005 - GLR Finalist & Judges Award.
2004 - GLR Semi Finalist.
2003 - GLR/DTR Quarter Finalist & GLR/NAT'L Rookie All Star.
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-08-2005, 10:43 PM
Havin' a gas gas gas.
AKA: Andrew Page
FRC #0836 (RoboBees)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2003
Zero-Bee is a jewel in the roughZero-Bee is a jewel in the roughZero-Bee is a jewel in the roughZero-Bee is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Zero-Bee Send a message via MSN to Zero-Bee Send a message via Yahoo to Zero-Bee

Dang, that is small!

Here is the thing. Why not get a reqular old iPod? Personally, I like the bigger iPod, and now that I can pick one up for less than $200, the iPod Nano isn't too appealing. I don't need a color screen to look at album art or watch video. I can watch video on a PSP pr just wait to get home, and I usually aquire my music through *herm* "other means". That takes up too much space. I just want a regular old iPod. They still fit in my pocket, and hold alot of data.

But maybe the iPod Nano is meant to go head-to-head with the GBA Micro =P

FRC 2007 - It's gonna be a gas gas gas.
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-08-2005, 10:53 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
KyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant futureKyleGilbert45 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero-Bee
:I don't need a color screen to look at album art or watch video. That takes up too much space. I just want a regular old iPod. They still fit in my pocket, and hold alot of data.
The problem is you can't buy an iPod without a color screen anymore. Unless you purchase a Shuffle, but then you don't get any kind of screen. You technically can't watch video on iPods so you wouldn't buy one to do that and I'm not really sure why you would compare the nano with the GBA Micro. The reason I purchased a nano is mainly because my second generation iPod's battery is pretty much dead (less than 2 hours on full charge) and I'm too impatient to wait for the settlement to go through or buy a replacement to replace the old battery.
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-08-2005, 11:43 PM
Biology Grad Student.....
AKA: Lisa Rodriguez
FRC #0173 (RAGE)

Rookie Year: 2002
Lisa Rodriguez has a brilliant futureLisa Rodriguez has a brilliant futureLisa Rodriguez has a brilliant futureLisa Rodriguez has a brilliant futureLisa Rodriguez has a brilliant futureLisa Rodriguez has a brilliant futureLisa Rodriguez has a brilliant futureLisa Rodriguez has a brilliant futureLisa Rodriguez has a brilliant futureLisa Rodriguez has a brilliant futureLisa Rodriguez has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Rodriguez Send a message via MSN to Lisa Rodriguez Send a message via Skype™ to Lisa Rodriguez

It's kind of upsetting that they killed the mini, I really wanted one, it was just the right size. The nano is way too small, I feel like I'll break it.
My roommate bought one, today, and it's really really small, I feel like I'm going to break it every time I touch it.

I e-mailed my dad and told him to go buy a mini while they're still in stock in stores and give it to me for christmas. I really hope he does.

This thing still works?

it's never over unless you let it be over

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: