OCCRA
Go to Post I really think we need to keep our pitchforks sheathed and torches unlit until we here more news and get more details. - IndySam [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Championship Event
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-29-2002, 08:42 PM
Too young to be an 'old guy'
FRC #0155 (Technonuts)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 1999
Jeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Skype™ to Jeff Rodriguez
Ball bots do have impact!, 71 vs. 60

As demostrated in the final match of the finals, ball bots can win in the finals. True, if you have 3 goals the game is over, but 1 goal with a good a ball bot can beat almost anyone. When we put all those balls in the goal, and had 66 hold it, we proved this point.

Also, you guys got your 71 vs. 60. What did you think? in the match where 71 dragged them across the field, they only had 1 track, or foot, on the carpet. In the other match, i think they fell wrong, and if that happens its over. So? opinions?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-29-2002, 10:10 PM
It's a Bird
AKA: BoogyShoes
FRC #1492 (Team Caution)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2000
Eric Bareiss is a glorious beacon of lightEric Bareiss is a glorious beacon of lightEric Bareiss is a glorious beacon of lightEric Bareiss is a glorious beacon of lightEric Bareiss is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Eric Bareiss
For starters you guys had an awsome bot and so did beatty. but in the second match we found beatty's weakness. Beatty lifted off of the ground onto a ball we threw over there at the beginning of the match, so they couldn't get thier feet onto of the ground. And we had you guys beat until we poped our breaker, oh well, you guys earned it. so congrats. I'm just kind of bitter about how good you guys were.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2002, 05:38 AM
do you..
no team

Joel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by GilaHumanPlayer
For starters you guys had an awsome bot and so did beatty. but in the second match we found beatty's weakness. Beatty lifted off of the ground onto a ball we threw over there at the beginning of the match, so they couldn't get thier feet onto of the ground. And we had you guys beat until we poped our breaker, oh well, you guys earned it. so congrats. I'm just kind of bitter about how good you guys were.
Yeah, about that ball you threw...blah, nevermind the season is over now.

Division By Zero (229) Alumni, 2003-2007
RAGE (173) Alumni, 1999-2003
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2002, 08:39 AM
#0144 (Who?)

DaveyPotter144 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to DaveyPotter144
Ball bots do matter and you guys proved it!

It was very very very close!!

Only 32 to 31!! Oh well, we've got nothing to complain about

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2002 Curie Divisional Winners
2002 #1 Seed of Curie
2002 Curie Most Incredible Play

AIM: WildWizardDave
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2002, 08:58 AM
Getting old
FRC #0095
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2001
Andy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond repute
I'm still a little disapointed we didn't get to go help uphold the honor of ball 'bots to...

Anyways, I think that at first, a lot of ball 'bots had a great time in quals, right up till finals. As soon as finals start, the goal handlers got _very_ aggresive. At least in our case, the other teams knew they could push us around and keep us running the whole match, keeping us from ever scoring many balls. When they started to do this we where caught completly off gaurd and kinda went 'huh?'. We had been lulled into a fall sense of security the whole time.

In retrospect, I see a lot of things I could have done diffrently to make us more competitive in finals. Ball 'bots are well suited to the game in any phase, it's a matter of how offensive and willing the drivers are to use their (generaly) higher speed. So, I expect ball 'bots to do very well in off season comps, now that we've all gotten a good look at them in Florida.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2002, 09:33 AM
D.J. Fluck

Re: Ball bots do have impact!, 71 vs. 60

Quote:
Originally posted by Ogre
As demostrated in the final match of the finals, ball bots can win in the finals. True, if you have 3 goals the game is over, but 1 goal with a good a ball bot can beat almost anyone. When we put all those balls in the goal, and had 66 hold it, we proved this point.
After Match 3 of the finals Andy B leaned over and said "See, balls did make a difference..." he was totally right. The 2002 National Championships were won with balls...
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2002, 09:44 AM
#0060 (Bionic Bulldogs)

Glenn has a spectacular aura aboutGlenn has a spectacular aura aboutGlenn has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by Joel J.
Yeah, about that ball you threw...blah, nevermind the season is over now.
I know if that ball was in a goal we would have won the match.

I wish we could have gone one more match win or loose. We never were able to see who could out push who. In the first match one of our arms broke preventing us from transferring much of the weight of the goals. This makes us an easy push over. In the second match (with a replacment arm installed)
we wern't so easy to move. However there was a ball on the right side of Beatty which was lifting the right track preventing them from geting full force to the carpet.

I wish Hamond was closer to Kingman so we could have a pull off.

So it looks like we will never know who had the more powerfull robot. I think we would have held our own. But I may be a little predjudice. I would like to here Beatty's opinion. Regardless Beatty had an awesom Robot, with some real "out of the box thinking" and that is what Engineering is all about.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2002, 03:34 PM
#0217 (ThunderChickens)

Alpha1471 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Alpha1471 Send a message via AIM to Alpha1471 Send a message via Yahoo to Alpha1471
At the Motorola Midwest Regional, the Wildstangs and Technokats were very close to beating Hammond. Ball pickers definitely have the ability to put up a good fight in the elimination rounds.

I was most suprised by team 201, the FEDS. They were able to spin Hammond around. It would have been very scary if Hammond could side-step. One team tried to throw a ball in Hammond's way at Chicago too, but failed to do anything. I don't really think that's a very dependable strategy. Having 2 powerful robots cooperate to spin Hammond would have been a much better strategy.

Also, team 60 grabbed the goals from Hammond extremely fast, but Hammond still managed to get a hold of the goals. I found that kind of odd. I think if they had a good strategy... like get the goals and then manuever behind Hammond... they could have easily won it. I guess the tether they left behind limited their movement.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2002, 05:28 PM
#0311 (Red Jammers)

Kyle Hill is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kyle Hill
Ball robots? Pah... during the semis and finals, we all tried in vain to throw a ball in the way of beatty at the beginning of the match like that. Unfortunately during (and correct me if im wrong) the first match of the Kingman-Beatty semis one of the human players threw the ball across the field a little too far and nailed other team's driver square in the chest...

It may not have been gracious professionalism, but whoever did that, please stand up for recognition. I've barely ever laughed harder in my life.
-2002 Einstein #1 Seeded Champions
-2002 National Finalists
-2002 WPI Battlecry Champions
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2002, 07:39 PM
Too young to be an 'old guy'
FRC #0155 (Technonuts)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 1999
Jeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Skype™ to Jeff Rodriguez
We came up with that though too, of throwing a ball under them, but never did it cause we wanted to pick them and didn't want to show a weakness, obviously. And i got a question for you guys(60 & co.) Were you holding the balls before the match started? A few people on our team said you were, and i wasn't sure. I you were i really don't care, cause its all over now. And no, as far as i know a ball didn't hit any of the drivers in the chest, at least not me or the other driver from our team.
And why did u guys die?
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2002, 09:31 AM

kevinw is a name known to allkevinw is a name known to allkevinw is a name known to allkevinw is a name known to allkevinw is a name known to allkevinw is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally posted by Ogre
And i got a question for you guys(60 & co.) Were you holding the balls before the match started?
I noticed that the timing between the "3.. 2.. 1.. GO!" and the power being supplied to the robots was inconsistent at best. It's quite possible that they grabbed balls when they thought the match was starting (as announced) but before the robots were moving.

This inconsistency was one of the biggest problems when scouting robots for speed (time to get to the goals).
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2002, 02:31 PM
#0144 (Who?)

chris144 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to chris144 Send a message via AIM to chris144
Quote:
Originally posted by Kyle Hill
Ball robots? Pah... during the semis and finals, we all tried in vain to throw a ball in the way of beatty at the beginning of the match like that. Unfortunately during (and correct me if im wrong) the first match of the Kingman-Beatty semis one of the human players threw the ball across the field a little too far and nailed other team's driver square in the chest...

It may not have been gracious professionalism, but whoever did that, please stand up for recognition. I've barely ever laughed harder in my life.
That was me that threw that ball... I wasn't trying to hit the other team but rather disrupt beatty's machine. Just a little overthrow thats all
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2002, 02:34 PM
#0144 (Who?)

chris144 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to chris144 Send a message via AIM to chris144
...and also in reply to kevin_308... we grabbed and threw the balls as soon as we heard "Go", regardless of whether the lights were on or the machines had started moving or not. We were not paying attention to that, just listening for the go.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2002, 08:49 PM
#0144 (Who?)

DaveyPotter144 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to DaveyPotter144
It was 64 that died.

I believe they said their breaker went off in another post.

Oh well....it will still remain at that 1 point no matter how much we talk about it. But hey...it's all good! No regrets here!

I must say that 2nd match against Beatty was giving heart attacks to me!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2002 Curie Divisional Winners
2002 #1 Seed of Curie
2002 Curie Most Incredible Play

AIM: WildWizardDave
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2002, 10:28 PM
It's a Bird
AKA: BoogyShoes
FRC #1492 (Team Caution)

Eric Bareiss is a glorious beacon of lightEric Bareiss is a glorious beacon of lightEric Bareiss is a glorious beacon of lightEric Bareiss is a glorious beacon of lightEric Bareiss is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Eric Bareiss
Yeah we popped our breaker, we still have no idea why. It's not the first time it's happened but its been a while. I'm curious, has the ball under beatty ever worked before? because i'm the one who brought i up before our match, i read it on here after beatty's first regional. We didn't have our hands on the balls before but i had my hands really close, just waiting for woody to say "GO". In the first match the human players were way off with the balls, one hit one of the drivers on the other side and the other one dropped straight into the center goal, too bad that's not what she was aiming for.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: