OCCRA
Go to Post They have a ton of spirit but they are somewhat humble in their application of it. - firstfollower [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#301   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-08-2005, 01:15 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH
Re: 2006 game hints?

I know--If Dave has a disclaimer of any sort about no intentional hints (or hints of any sort, etc.), nobody analyzes that post. If there is no disclaimer, it's up for analyzing. I think we can trust Dave to not put hints in posts with disclaimers. (And the other suggested disclaimer: "Any perceived hints in this post are jokes. Analyzing them will cause great hilarity on the part of everyone other than the analyzer.")
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #302   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-08-2005, 10:22 PM
Mrs. ChrisH
FRC #0330 (Beach 'Bots)
Team Role: Parent

KarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond reputeKarenH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH
I know--If Dave has a disclaimer of any sort about no intentional hints (or hints of any sort, etc.), nobody analyzes that post. If there is no disclaimer, it's up for analyzing. I think we can trust Dave to not put hints in posts with disclaimers.
Poor Dave! Being singled out to put disclaimers on his posts, under specifications which even I, the English major, find confusing!

Disclaimer: I'm posting within 24 hours after undergoing a medical procedure before which I was instructed not to attempt anything requiring my full mental faculties within 24 hours after the procedure. Therefore, I am not responsible for this post.
  #303   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-09-2005, 02:56 PM
AKA: Stephanie Bekkers
FRC #0857 (Superior Roboworks)
Team Role: College Student

FIRSTgurl93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to FIRSTgurl93

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboMadi
I'm pretty sure about the CMU camera. I guess they will re-inroduce it. As far as the shape goes,..............hm...........Triangles . Cause if you look at the history of first, it was all about rectangles..........then squares....... and now Triangle.
I also heard a rumor about some water game..........but naaaa i don't think so.
So as of now......me and my programming team is really workin hard on autonomous and camera code.
Actually if you look at the history of the shapes it makes sense if you link it with the logo of FIRST (Triangle, Circle, Square) now if you remember going on 4 years ago they had the bins that you had to tip over and stack back up so that was squares. Then they moved on to balls with the "Raising the Bar" game and then last year with the triangle tetras. So if they are following suit then the next thing in the pattern would be squares again.
  #304   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-09-2005, 07:27 PM
FRC #0418 (Purple Haze / LASA Robotics)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2005
Henry_Mareck is a jewel in the roughHenry_Mareck is a jewel in the roughHenry_Mareck is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Henry_Mareck

when considering game scanarios you have to consider a couple things:
1) ease of transport and set-up (no water ) 2) ease of reset (no packing peanuts or confetti) . Saftey is also important, as well as not including game pieces that could easily damage the robot, like bowling balls.
I think some people are forgetting these things and it makes for some interesting and improbable scenarios. (who can pick up the most peanuts in two minutes? ) I have not been around long enough to give any merit to the square, circle or triangle pattern theory. the pattern part aside, it is difficult to imagine a game that did NOT have any square, circle or triangle pieces on it. (dodecahedrons would be kinda intersting, though)

Last edited by Henry_Mareck : 12-09-2005 at 07:34 PM.
  #305   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-09-2005, 08:02 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Triangle, circle, square is an interesting, but old, theory. If you just look at the manipulated objects, it really only applies 2003-2004-2005 (squarish totes, balls, tetras). The vast majority of the games since 1997 (2003 and 2005 are the only exceptions) have had round objects to maneuver, mostly balls. The movable playing field elements have been hexagonal for the most part. If there is a triangle, circle, square set of elements, it will likely be with the circles as game objects and the triangles and squares and part of the field (as in 2000). Of course, I could be wrong and it's another way around. So, I think that any more discussion of this theory is pointless, especially because there are only 28 days left until kickoff, when everything will be revealed and we will kick ourseves for not getting Dave's hints right.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #306   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2005, 05:25 PM
God, First Class, Unlimited
AKA: Anthony Fisher
FRC #1073 (Force)

Belldandyspaz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Belldandyspaz

hey guys here is my updated list for hints and hoaxes please keep on contributing hints

Possible Truths
? Maybe an element of last year’s game will be in it
? Relay race type thing
? Points by time
? Maybe a horse type game
? 3 ways to score
? teams working together un-opposed to wrack up as many points
? vision by camera in game
? objects obstructing view of driver
? rods or sticks
? fine motor skills for robot
? different robots starting at different times
? event causing things to be released all over field (possibly packing peanuts or confetti)
? shelter areas for protection from something
? autonomous mode at end of game
? a difficult surface in the field somewhere, probably in the middle.
? Lower, more restrictive budget/more reliance on KOP
? Shipment of Corechart programming software with each KOP
? possibly slick objects that are hard to pick up
? Ramps
? use of Easy C for programming
? possibility of a free for all
? possibility of deception being a strategy for winning

Possible hoaxes
? underwater game (picture of waterproof control thingy hoax)
? no metal
? no fasteners
? no water of any kind
? no snow

thank you to whomever i borrowed ideas from. as senora mireles always says "muchos puntos en mi corazon" keep giving ideas and ill keep posting every time i have alot more ideas. if you wish to contact me for errors or stuff please contact me via AIM (rikkufan123), my email adress ( rikkufan123@aim.com ), or by private messaging me.
  #307   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2005, 05:52 PM
Support STEM Education
FRC #3301 (Jay County Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2004
Kyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond repute

So, Dave, Where's our official hint!?!?!?!?

Kyle Love
Teams I've been on:
Team 45 - The TechnoKats - Student/Leader/Driver 2004-2007
Team 1646 - Boiler Precision Guessworks - Mentor 2007-2011
Team 3301 - Jay County Robotics - Teacher 2011-Present

#308   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2005, 06:14 PM
Copioli is the man!!!
FRC #1403 (Cougar Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 1997
slickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to slickguy2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlavery

You can trust me on this.

-dave
Does this imply a team game? You can trust your team member on top of something? Hmm.... maybe I am thinking too much into this one.

GO 1403!!!

#309   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2005, 06:33 PM
in between teams
AKA: Luke Van Oort
no team

lukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lukevanoort

I think Dave is saying that he has been lying this whole time. Personally, I think he just makes (maybe) one post that has to do with the game. Then he makes random posts, and just hopes that there is a hint in them.
  #310   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-12-2005, 09:01 AM
Chris
FTC #1073 (The F.O.R.C.E)
Team Role: Driver

litchfieldc will become famous soon enoughlitchfieldc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayswandir-75
Of course there will be team work. It is one of the many ideal's FIRST strives to achieve.

That has always been there. If you think back to coopertition. Helping out your competitors. Thats why they have the ranking points where it is based off the other teams score to ensure a close game
If you actually read think about what my post says, you will realize that I meant you can go Benedict Arnold during the game. I did not mean helping out your competitiors in the pits. I realize that gracious professionalism is a big goal of first, because we exercise it on our team as well.

River Rage 2006 First Place Alliance

It's one thing to get kids to pay attention, it's another to make them learn something
  #311   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-12-2005, 09:35 AM
AKA: Mike O'Brien
FRC #1086 (Blue Cheese)

Rookie Year: 2001
Mike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Mike o. Send a message via Yahoo to Mike o.

The option to go and help another team during a compeition match has always been there. In fact i have seen it done before, hence again to ensure a close match and to make sure that the winning teams gains more points, since you rank is dependant on the losing teams score. Although i have never really seen a team that all out went against their own alliance, but once agian, the ability to do that has been here all along. is that now what you meant?

mike
2009 CMP Team Spirit Award; VA Regional Winner & Chairman's Award
2008 VA Regional Winner & Chairman's Award
2007 & 2006 VA Delphi "Driving Tomorrow's Technology" Award
2005 VA Team Spirit Award; 2004 VA Imagery Award; 2003 Rookie Year
  #312   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Engineer disguised as a Physicist
AKA: Leslie Salas
FRC #0233 (The Pink Team)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
Winged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond reputeWinged Wonder has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Winged Wonder Send a message via Yahoo to Winged Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhawg
OK folks. Can anyone explain why Dave's hint from this thread was never discussed?

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=14

A "Song that never ends" implies a never ending circle, or a ring. My guess is that we'll be playing a form of ringtoss.

First a hurricane, and now ringtoss. Will the madness never cease!?!?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH
Did you miss the caption contest before that one? This was fully explained there. It's not a hint.
just because something is "fully explained" doesnt mean its not a hint... and since no one tried to take a stab at figuring out what (if anything) that post by Dave means (since you all went off on a tangent to figure out which of Daves posts were valid and which ones werent).. i'm going to try:

he repeats the song that never ends (from the old tv show Lamb Chops , right? or something like that.. i'm not terribly sure, i vaguely remember it from when i was really little) SIX TIMES.. so that probably means six robots on the field... i'm not sure if the concept of forever has anything to do with it... but perhaps the game lasts longer than it used to.. maybe longer than battery life, and because of that, you'd have to conserve your battery by being able to shut off your robot at certain times? i dont know.. maybe i'm overanalyzing nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukevanoort
I think Dave is saying that he has been lying this whole time. Personally, I think he just makes (maybe) one post that has to do with the game. Then he makes random posts, and just hopes that there is a hint in them.
nah. i doubt his posts are random. i'm pretty sure Dave has a reason behind every single one of his posts... whether it is to drive us all crazy with ambiguity in game hints or if its to share some words of wisdom... i'm almost positive that Dave thinks before he clicks "Submit Reply" in any thread.

I GIVE FREE HUGS AT COMPETITIONS!! (just ask!) | Real Men Wear Bodypaint Pink! | Good Luck This Year!!

Embrace your inner dorkiness, because face it, life is too short to be cool.
  #313   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-12-2005, 06:49 PM
ChrisH's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Generally Useless
FRC #0330 (Beach 'Bots)

Rookie Year: 1998
ChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winged Wonder
... i'm almost positive that Dave thinks before he clicks "Submit Reply" in any thread.
{emphasis mine}

I'm sure he appreciates that expression of condfidence

"Who is John Galt?"
  #314   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-12-2005, 10:36 PM
FRC #0418 (Purple Haze / LASA Robotics)

Henry_Mareck is a jewel in the roughHenry_Mareck is a jewel in the roughHenry_Mareck is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Henry_Mareck

correct me if im wrong, but i count 8 times. 4v4 or 2v2v2v2 or 4v2v2?
i counted the word because because its cool and it has periods after it

edit: now that i think about it, 4v4, etc would be amazingly crowded unless the field get bigger, or the robots get smaller
preferably the first one

Last edited by Henry_Mareck : 12-12-2005 at 11:54 PM.
  #315   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-12-2005, 11:07 PM
None #0617

Birdman1011395 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belldandyspaz
hey guys here is my updated list for hints and hoaxes please keep on contributing hints

Possible Truths
? Maybe an element of last year’s game will be in it
? Relay race type thing
? Points by time
? Maybe a horse type game
? 3 ways to score
? teams working together un-opposed to wrack up as many points
? vision by camera in game
? objects obstructing view of driver
? rods or sticks
? fine motor skills for robot
? different robots starting at different times
? event causing things to be released all over field (possibly packing peanuts or confetti)
? shelter areas for protection from something
? autonomous mode at end of game
? a difficult surface in the field somewhere, probably in the middle.
? Lower, more restrictive budget/more reliance on KOP
? Shipment of Corechart programming software with each KOP
? possibly slick objects that are hard to pick up
? Ramps
? use of Easy C for programming
? possibility of a free for all
? possibility of deception being a strategy for winning

Possible hoaxes
? underwater game (picture of waterproof control thingy hoax)
? no metal
? no fasteners
? no water of any kind
? no snow

thank you to whomever i borrowed ideas from. as senora mireles always says "muchos puntos en mi corazon" keep giving ideas and ill keep posting every time i have alot more ideas. if you wish to contact me for errors or stuff please contact me via AIM (rikkufan123), my email adress ( rikkufan123@aim.com ), or by private messaging me.

Umm, if "? no snow" is a possible hoax, wouldn't that make it a possible truth?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: