Go to Post If you need persuasion woven tight with logic, leave it to a software architect. - Richard Wallace [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > CAD > Inventor
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-28-2005, 08:35 PM
SAE Formula is FIRST with Gasoline.
FRC #0306 (CRT)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
Andrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blair Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blair
Embossing Text Into Parts with Inventor

What I would like to do is cut a "306 CRT" out of sheet metal assemblies we have have cut. My problem is twofold. First off, when I put text onto a drawing, I can't cut it from the piece. So, I can just trace the letters, but I really don't want to have to do this on every single piece. Is there some way I can easily cut text from a drawing?

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
-Albert Einstein

Last edited by Madison : 10-30-2005 at 12:09 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-29-2005, 08:04 AM
Techincal assist
AKA: Brian Clegg
FRC #1646 (Precision Guessworks), Alumni FRC #234 (Cyber Blue)
Team Role: Mentor

crazykid234 is a splendid one to beholdcrazykid234 is a splendid one to beholdcrazykid234 is a splendid one to beholdcrazykid234 is a splendid one to beholdcrazykid234 is a splendid one to beholdcrazykid234 is a splendid one to beholdcrazykid234 is a splendid one to beholdcrazykid234 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Inserting Something Into Inventor

There should be an emboss tool you can use. This should allow you to basically cut or extrude text. Hope this helps!

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-29-2005, 02:13 PM
What would Dave do?
AKA: Peter Kieselbach
FRC #3654 (Tech Tigers)

Rookie Year: 2002
petek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to petek

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykid234
There should be an emboss tool you can use. This should allow you to basically cut or extrude text. Hope this helps!
Exactly. You can emboss text onto or out of a part using this tool. You create a sketch on the surface you want to emboss (or on a work plane), use the sketch text tool to create the text, finish the sketch, select the Emboss tool and select your text for the profile. See Inventor help for more detail on how to emboss.

To make real parts you'll need CNC, and you'll lose the islands in the letters (like the center of "0"), unless you add bridges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Emboss Test.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	3644  

Last edited by petek : 10-29-2005 at 02:18 PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-29-2005, 10:41 PM
SAE Formula is FIRST with Gasoline.
FRC #0306 (CRT)
Team Role: Alumni

Andrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blair Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blair

Hey, thanks guys! I guess I never payed attention to the fact that the emboss icon had an embossed letter on it... not having inventor handy on me right now, can you get different text fonts, say some with bridges in already?

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
-Albert Einstein
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-30-2005, 11:47 AM
What would Dave do?
AKA: Peter Kieselbach
FRC #3654 (Tech Tigers)

Rookie Year: 2002
petek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond reputepetek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to petek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blair
Hey, thanks guys! I guess I never payed attention to the fact that the emboss icon had an embossed letter on it... not having inventor handy on me right now, can you get different text fonts, say some with bridges in already?
I'm pretty sure Inventor uses Windows' fonts and I don't think there is a stencil font in the standard ones, but you could install one (I don't have any experience with this particular one).

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: