OCCRA
Go to Post One of our electrical engineers would bring his kids in every so often, so they could actually see their dad during build season. - Karthik [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2002, 04:19 PM
#0190 (WPI)

BFireball8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Whats your opinon of 173

What is your honest opinion of RAGE 173. Being on the team, i dont get to hear any of the comments about our team or robot, so fill me in. What did you like or didnt like, just say anything. In the final round of the nationals, did you think our alliance was done for when 71 was out?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2002, 07:16 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
SharkBite is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to SharkBite
well, from what i saw your driving was awesome
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2002, 07:18 PM
AKA: Anthony Lapp
None #0118 (Team RUSH and Robonauts)

Rookie Year: 1996
ajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond repute
one of the best

in my honest and not humble opinion 173 is one of the top teams in the country. the ball handling is top notch and the robot performed it's tasks flawlessly. Well Done!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2002, 07:56 PM
Robot-A-Holic
FRC #0980 (The ThunderBots)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2002
DougHogg has much to be proud ofDougHogg has much to be proud ofDougHogg has much to be proud ofDougHogg has much to be proud ofDougHogg has much to be proud ofDougHogg has much to be proud ofDougHogg has much to be proud ofDougHogg has much to be proud of
Opinions on Team 173

In my opinion, Team 173's robot was ... dynamite! Our robot is also a ball handler, so we were happy to see another ball handler among the Championship winners.

I was particularly impressed with your driving skill. You guys zoomed around the field. Also your ball mechanism was inspired. We used pneumatics to dump our basket. I was impressed with the fact that you were able to handle your basket using only motors, especially since you put your basket through some elaborate motions.

I came over to check out your robot after the whole event. I liked your gear shift mechanism, particularly the use of latex tube as a tensioning device in your shifters.

We had a gear shift also, but we changed gears on both motors with one servo. Even though I did see your mechanism at the event, I would love to see a picture of your gear shifter as I don't remember the details.

We are rookies and pretty much stayed in low gear. In high gear, we tended to blow fuses if we turned suddenly. Also we had had some gear grinding on a few occasions so we were a bit nervous about shifting. Did you have any such problems? If not, what was the solution?

One other question: Did your driver use one joystick or two for steering?

Anyway, congratuations. You made us ball handlers proud. After all, if there were no ball handlers on the winning alliance, that would have made it look like all the ball handlers made poor choices in their overall design strategy.
Championship Event: Galileo 2nd seed,
IRI: Competition Winner, Cal Games: Competition Winner
2005: Arizona: 1st seed
Silicon Valley: Regional Champion (Thanks Teams 254 and 22)
S. California: Regional Runners Up (Thanks Teams 22 and 968)
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2002, 08:02 PM
Pro E King
#0157 (AZTECHS 157)
Team Role: Engineer

157#1Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 157#1Driver
173 robot was a site to see. I know that we had our little thing down in CT when we didn't pick, which we should have, you still are one of the best out there and you showed us all you are. Nice job 173.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2002, 08:58 PM
It's a SPAM thing...
AKA: George1083; George180
FRC #0180 (SPAM)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
George1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge1902 has a reputation beyond repute
i have to be honest... after 71 went down, i was drooling and imagining those pretty gold medals.......

you guys put up a helluva fight! congrats!

silver ain't too bad, i guess =-]

George
SPAM
Team 180

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”
-- Mahatma Gandhi
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2002, 09:36 PM
#0311 (Red Jammers)

Kyle Hill is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kyle Hill
Up there with Beatty and Kingman for one of the best robots. EVER.

Anything else I say will cheapen that.
-2002 Einstein #1 Seeded Champions
-2002 National Finalists
-2002 WPI Battlecry Champions
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2002, 09:38 PM
I fix stuff.
AKA: βetamarc
FRC #2836 (Team βeta)

Marc P. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc P. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc P. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc P. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc P. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc P. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc P. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc P. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc P. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc P. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc P. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Marc P.

Congratulations 173! Great job!!

My biggest impression of this year was a little odd to be honest. My first year in FIRST was in the 2000 season, and the 173 robot stuck out in the back of my mind for some reason, maybe it's grace, it's dependability, it's ease of use picking up balls. At the UTC Suffield scrimmage this year, I did a doubletake as Rage walked in. The familiar design played through the back of my head again, and matched with the same impression of 2000. There's an expression I know of... stick with what works

It was an awesome bot in 2000, and you guys did even better this year

If I get not lazy, I'll post some pictures from the 2000 regional I have on video of 173 (since it stuck out in my mind I took lots of video), and maybe compare the 2 I loved it then and I love it now
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2002, 11:43 PM
Don't Get EliMOEnated!
AKA: My First Name is really "The" (or Brian)
FRC #0365 (The Miracle Workerz); FRC#1495 (AGR); FRC#4342 (Demon)

Rookie Year: 2001
The Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond reputeThe Lucas has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to The Lucas
Fast

You guys were fast in every aspect of the word. In our match against you, You beat us to the goals so you got one before our wing could. Then you quickly put 22 balls in it to win the match. I wish we could have faced you in the Newton SemiFinals.
Congrats on the National Championship!

Electrical & Programming Mentor ---Team #365 "The Miracle Workerz"
Founding Mentor --- Team #1495 Avon Grove High School
2007 CMP Chairman's Award - Thanks to all MOE members (and others) past and present who made it a reality.
Robot Inspector
"I don't think I'm ever more ''aware'' than I am right after I burn my thumb with a soldering iron"
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2002, 11:38 AM
no team (Royal Assault)
Team Role: College Student

Jason Haaga is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Opinions on Team 173

Quote:
Originally posted by DougHogg
I came over to check out your robot after the whole event. I liked your gear shift mechanism, particularly the use of latex tube as a tensioning device in your shifters.

We had a gear shift also, but we changed gears on both motors with one servo. Even though I did see your mechanism at the event, I would love to see a picture of your gear shifter as I don't remember the details.

We are rookies and pretty much stayed in low gear. In high gear, we tended to blow fuses if we turned suddenly. Also we had had some gear grinding on a few occasions so we were a bit nervous about shifting. Did you have any such problems? If not, what was the solution?

One other question: Did your driver use one joystick or two for steering?
Our shifter's pretty simple (I'll try to find a pic for you). Uses two servos to shift the drill motors (one tended to be a little unreliable). The gear grinding is from not shifting into gear fully. What we did to correct this was place limit switches on the shifting hoop to detect when the motors were actually in gear or not. Until the shift was completed, the program ignored any input from the driver and pulsed the motors lightly until it clicked into gear (significantly reduced wear and tear on the robot's drive train). In high gear, we could not turn from a dead stop well (or at all mostly), the motors just stalled out even trying to turn, but we had no problems with fuses. As for steering, we used one joystick with a modified tank drive routine to get more manueverability than the default code.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2002, 04:41 PM
Engineering Mentor
None #0067 (HOT)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Jim Meyer has a reputation beyond reputeJim Meyer has a reputation beyond reputeJim Meyer has a reputation beyond reputeJim Meyer has a reputation beyond reputeJim Meyer has a reputation beyond reputeJim Meyer has a reputation beyond reputeJim Meyer has a reputation beyond reputeJim Meyer has a reputation beyond reputeJim Meyer has a reputation beyond reputeJim Meyer has a reputation beyond reputeJim Meyer has a reputation beyond repute
173... Top Dog

In my opinion, 173 outright earned the championship, with or without Beatty. After watching you guys beat us by towing team 65 (Winner of the very competitive Great Lakes Regional) around and still pick up 12 balls to win, I knew you guys would go all the way. Beatty and Kingman were one trick wonders. You guys could do it all.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2002, 05:36 PM
AKA: Rodrigo Ribeiro
#0383 (Brazilian Machine)

Rookie Year: 2000
Digo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Digo
I was very excited when I saw that 71 wasn't there for the last match, and it was awesome to see that 173 and 66 deserved to be there and that they didn't win just because of 71. They had great machines too and won by themselves.

A curiosity: 71 didn't play the last match because of a broken wheel or because their opponents already knew how to stop them?
Team #383 - The Brazilian Machine
Mechanical Engineering student at UFRGS - Porto Alegre - RS - Brazil
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2002, 05:45 PM
#0190 (WPI)

BFireball8 is an unknown quantity at this point
im pretty sure they had a broken wheel
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2002, 08:43 PM
Too young to be an 'old guy'
FRC #0155 (Technonuts)
Team Role: Teacher

Jeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Skype™ to Jeff Rodriguez
Quote:
Originally posted by Digo
I was very excited when I saw that 71 wasn't there for the last match, and it was awesome to see that 173 and 66 deserved to be there and that they didn't win just because of 71. They had great machines too and won by themselves.

A curiosity: 71 didn't play the last match because of a broken wheel or because their opponents already knew how to stop them?
Yeah they had a broken wheel. When spam turned the sideways, it ripped part of their wheels up, because it too was made of filecard.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2002, 11:05 PM
thinks Allison Babcock & 1747 ROCK!
AKA: goosefrom71
FRC #1747 (Harrison Boiler Robotics/ Team Hammond)

Rookie Year: 2002
Elyse Holguin has much to be proud ofElyse Holguin has much to be proud ofElyse Holguin has much to be proud ofElyse Holguin has much to be proud ofElyse Holguin has much to be proud ofElyse Holguin has much to be proud ofElyse Holguin has much to be proud ofElyse Holguin has much to be proud ofElyse Holguin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Elyse Holguin
I love 173. This could because you guys did a lot of work (66 too) and we were paired with you guys (thanks X 100000). But you deserved it a lot more than we do this time. And Kingman and SPAM, you guys were some of the scariest opponents ever. I couldn't even watch the last match, no joke. I was huddled under a seat or something, until the last seconds when I was forced to watch it. I still get a really tense stomach just thinking about it. To everyone that was there, you all did an awesome job.
And man, I hate file cards.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: