OCCRA
Go to Post I always felt people get too caught up in the robot and don't see what really makes the teams function so well is the organization itself. - Koko Ed [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2005, 08:21 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute
Attn: Mech Designers, Beta Testers Needed!

All,
Many of you have used, or know of the motor/gearing design spreadsheet which I released shortly after kickoff in 2004. Since that point, I have been slowly (painfully slow) revamping this sheet to make it easier to use, while providing more functionality.

I have been pushing on this even harder in the past few months, trying to get a version ready for release at Kickoff 2006. As Christmas rapidly approaches, I am nearing the point of completion.

I've tested this sheet fairly extensively. I've used it (as it has evolved) to run countless gearing and design calculations for 229, for friends, and even a few for IFI. However, I frequently make mistakes; as a precaution against one slipping by me, I'm looking for some beta testers to run through my spreadsheet, and make sure there are no serious errors.

I need:
  1. People to review the User Interface, and suggest potential improvements.
  2. People to run numbers in the spreadsheet, and make sure they make sense.
  3. People to suggest additional functions & capabilities for the spreadsheet that are missing.
  4. Experienced designers to go indepth, and check the actual formulas themselves, to see where I may be off-base.
If you feel you have time to do one or more of the above, please post in this thread, and send me an email or AIM. Once I have your interest, I will let you know when/where you can get a beta-copy of the sheet for review.

I know how busy everyone is and I appreciate whatever time I can get. Hopefully together we can ensure this sheet is an incredible resources for FIRST teams in 2006 and beyond.

Thanks in advance,
John
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2005, 08:24 PM
Karthik's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics GDC Chairman
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Attn: Mech Designers, Beta Testers Needed!

John,

Count me in. I'm always willing to play around in Excel.
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
My TEDx Talk - The Subtle Secrets of Success
Full disclosure: I work for IFI and VEX Robotics, and am the Chairman of the VEX Robotics and VEX IQ Game Design Committees
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2005, 08:33 PM
FRC #0188 (Woburn Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 1999
Tristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond repute

E-mail sent...I'm in too, if you'd like.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2005, 08:39 PM
no team
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2004
Hieb is a splendid one to beholdHieb is a splendid one to beholdHieb is a splendid one to beholdHieb is a splendid one to beholdHieb is a splendid one to beholdHieb is a splendid one to beholdHieb is a splendid one to behold

I used your old sheets extensively with my students last year and would be glad to take a look at what you have now.

Dan Hiebert
Team 1437
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2005, 08:44 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)

Rookie Year: 1999
Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Madison

I'd like to take a look at it, too, John. Let me know if you need another pair of eyes.

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2005, 08:47 PM
Survived year 1–year 2 comes quick!
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron); FLL #7016/7017 (Garnet Squadron Alfa/Bravo)

Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

I'm up for giving it the once-over in OpenOffice, for all of us open-source/too-cheap-or-broke-for-Excel folks out there.
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV (51,569.9 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2005, 09:40 PM
Volkswagen Enthusiast
AKA: Bill Hancock
FRC #0573 (MechWarriors)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2005
Bill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bill_Hancoc

I dont know if i can run numbers or any of that but im pretty good at idiot proofing and want to learn more about excel so i would be intrested

MechWarriors 573

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-10-2005, 09:58 PM
Financial Engineer
FRC #4991 (HORSEpower)

Conor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond repute

I've used it quite extensively in the past 5 months testing out ideas that i've had and figuring out optimal configurations. I have a few suggestions for it and I can help with the interfacing of it, so I guess I could help out with items 1,2, and 3.

Also I support Billfred in an offical openoffice version of the document, just to make sure there isn't any problems for those non-conformists and the cheap.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2005, 12:01 AM
AKA: Foley
no team
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2001
Ryan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Foley has a reputation beyond repute

I'd certainly love to help out. Note sure if I can really help much with the in depth stuff, but I'd love to look at the user interface/ available functions.

FRC #1995: Fatal Error [2007-2009]
FRC #350: Timberlane Robotics [2001-2004]

FRC Volunteer:
2010: Referee [WPI Regional, Mayhem in Merrimack], Robot Inspector [BAE Regional]
2009: Referee [BattleCry 10]
2008: Referee [Connecticut Regional, BattleCry 9, Beantown Blitz, River Rage 12]
2007: Referee [Beantown Blitz, Mayhem in Merrimack, BattleCry 8, River Rage 11]
2006: Referee [UTC Regional, Beantown Blitz, Mayhem in Merrimack, BattleCry 7, River Rage 10]
2005: Referee [Mayhem in Merrimack, BattleCry 6]
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2005, 12:09 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Electrical Engineer
no team

Rookie Year: 1995
Mike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond reputeMike Betts has a reputation beyond repute

John,

I'd be happy to help (email sent).

Mike

Alumnus, Team 3518, Panthrobots, 2011
Alumnus, Team 177, Bobcat Robotics, 1995 - 2010
LRI, Connecticut Regional, 2007-2010
LRI, WPI Regional, 2009 - 2010
RI, South Florida Regional, 2012 - 2013

As easy as 355/113...
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2005, 09:02 AM
Paul Copioli's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero Woodie Flowers Award
#BuildBlitz #TeamCopioli
no team (TeamCopioli)

Rookie Year: 2000
Paul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond repute

John,

You know I want to look at it, so send me what you need to send me.

Paul
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2005, 11:38 AM
I REALLY want to be Andy Baker
FRC #1018 (RoboDevils)

Rookie Year: 2002
Stu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond reputeStu Bloom has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Stu Bloom Send a message via Yahoo to Stu Bloom Send a message via Skype™ to Stu Bloom

Hey John,

I can't promise any specific amount of time, but I'd be glad to take a look. email on the way ...
FIRST Team 1018 - Pike HS RoboDevils
My activity for 2012:
  • Boilermaker planning committee
  • Israel Head Ref - DONE (and it was FANTASTIC!)
  • Boilermaker Regional (with 1018) - DONE
  • Midwest Head Ref - DONE
  • WORLD Championships (with 1018) - DONE
  • IRI Head Ref - DONE
  • CAGE Match Head Ref
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2005, 12:32 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in. Email sent.
Mentor since 2002 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2005, 01:00 PM
AKA: Ari
FRC #0108 (SigmaC@T)

Arefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Arefin Bari Send a message via AIM to Arefin Bari Send a message via MSN to Arefin Bari Send a message via Yahoo to Arefin Bari

This is a spreadsheet that I have used for all my designs. I am definitely in. Email sent.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2005, 01:09 PM
AKA: Mike O'Brien
FRC #1086 (Blue Cheese)

Mike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud ofMike o. has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Mike o. Send a message via Yahoo to Mike o.

Im in here. Can't wait!!
2009 CMP Team Spirit Award; VA Regional Winner & Chairman's Award
2008 VA Regional Winner & Chairman's Award
2007 & 2006 VA Delphi "Driving Tomorrow's Technology" Award
2005 VA Team Spirit Award; 2004 VA Imagery Award; 2003 Rookie Year

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: