OCCRA
Go to Post The problem with anecdotal evidence is that you never seem to get the whole anecdote. - Lea DeFoote [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum > FIRST E-Mail Blast Archive
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #91   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Operator in 100+ matches
AKA: Yngwie Kamen's roadie
FRC #1675 (Ultimate Protection Squad)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Kevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Kolodziej has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Kolodziej
Re: **FIRST EMAIL**/Advance Materials List and Autodesk Virtual Kit of Parts Informat

The lexan isn't likely to be used for the walls of a ramp..they are only 1/8". The side walls for 2003 were 3/4" I believe...perhaps 1". Either way, they were thick. Being a surface to see a FIRST logo under makes sense, and the traction on them isn't too terrible for FIRST bots (VEX bots are another story...we had lexan ramps in our Uber Tuber game and only 2-3 out of 21 teams could get up them).

The diamond plate is really driving me crazy.

Those 10' pieces of lumber could be used in conjuction with some of the 2x4s to make a ladder. For what...well...er..hmmmmmm.

Kev - who can't wait for the sound of a few thousand palms smacking a few thousan foreheads in just under 36 hours.
WI RPC: 2006 - 2014 // FRC Inspector: '07 (WI), '08 (WI, IL), '09 (WI, IL), '10 (WI, CMP), '11 (WI, IL, CMP), '12 (WI), '13 (Northern Lights)
[/center]
2007 WI Woodie Flowers Award Finalist // 2011 Wisconsin Regional Outstanding Volunteer // 2011/2013 Midwest Regional Chairman's Award
  #92   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2006, 10:32 PM
SLEEP IS POINTLESS!!!
AKA: John Nelson
FRC #1075 (Sinclair Sprockets)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
1075master is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: **FIRST EMAIL**/Advance Materials List and Autodesk Virtual Kit of Parts Informat

in '04 lexan was used on the top of the middle element and the steps were made out of diamond plate. arg this is hurting my brain!!!

year >= 2007 && year <= 2009
-mentor in every aspect
  #93   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2006, 10:43 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1075master
in '04 lexan was used on the top of the middle element and the steps were made out of diamond plate. arg this is hurting my brain!!!
Nope. HDPE (High Density PolyEthylene) was used on 2003's ramp as the top surface, 2004 had HDPE on top of its platforms, and the diamond plate was on the sides of said platforms.

What's really killing me is the sheer volume of lumber. I count three different types in two lengths, one of which (2*4*8ft) has a quantity of 17. And then you throw in three thicknesses of plywood. NO casters, PVC, flanges, magnets, or anything else that is unusual, except for the amount of wood.

Let's not forget that 2*whatever (usually 4) or plywood is a common substitute for diamond plate, depending on the application, but if there is diamond plate you have to maneuver on, forget it, you're better off with diamond plate.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

Last edited by EricH : 01-05-2006 at 10:50 PM. Reason: forgot something
  #94   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Survived year 1–year 2 comes quick!
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron); FLL #7016/7017 (Garnet Squadron Alfa/Bravo)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH
Nope. HDPE (High Density PolyEthylene) was used on 2003's ramp as the top surface, 2004 had HDPE on top of its platforms, and the diamond plate was on the sides of said platforms.
Not quite. The small steps in front of the stationary goal in 2004 were diamond plate, if memory serves me right. (And even if they weren't, it was definitely aluminum.)

Everything else, though, seems accurate.
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV (51,569.9 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #95   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Mentor / Bayou LRI
AKA: DeepWater
FRC #0456 (Siege Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2004
ChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Krass
You can't get two 5' long pieces of wood from one 10' long piece.
I don't want to sound like a smart butt but I don't understand your response. I don't know about you but I can rip a 10' 2x4 on my table saw into 2 10' lengths if I cut down the middle. I can cut at an angle and get anything in between (i.e. two 6' long 2x4s with pointed ends). I could even cut two 10' long triangle wedges if the 10' 2x4 was cut on a diagonal. I make no claims that anything I cut will be straight though. My point is I'm not assuming anything about how we may or may not cutup and use any of the material on the list.
  #96   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2006, 11:00 PM
FRC #0701 (RoboVikes)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
Salik Syed has much to be proud ofSalik Syed has much to be proud ofSalik Syed has much to be proud ofSalik Syed has much to be proud ofSalik Syed has much to be proud ofSalik Syed has much to be proud ofSalik Syed has much to be proud ofSalik Syed has much to be proud ofSalik Syed has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Salik Syed

Polycarb - The see-through aspect is definitely important... I like the cylindrical idea... I think the Lexan will be rolled into a cylinder and will contain scoring objects, which must be retrieved from inside (?)
either that or maybe

Diamond plate - I think it will laminate over a ramp of some sort.

2x4s - There is just SO MUCH lumber, I have to agree: there will be some curved structure, sheeted w/ the luan, this will require ALOT of 2X4s for adequate support. perhaps even two angled ramps with a curved ramp in the center ?
Like this but of course less steep
/U\

Bolts, 1x3s and 1x5s - These have totally stumped me (esp. the 1X5X8!)
  #97   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2006, 11:05 PM
FRC #0383 (Brazilian Machine)

Rookie Year: 2000
Manoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Manoel Send a message via MSN to Manoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH
Could you rephrase that so we can understand you? And HDPE is plastic (look for milk jugs for an everyday example) and fairly slippery; that's why it was used as a driving surface. If they wanted slippery, they'd have put HDPE on the list, but Lexan is clear and less slippery.
Maybe they weren't looking for super slippery; this year's game may be so devious that even a mildly slippery surface will give us enough trouble.

In 2004 the stairs were made of diamond plate, the intermediate platforms (red and blue) were HDPE and the top one (under the chin up bar) was polycarbonate. The FIRST logo was visible through it; that way you get slippery and purty, something the GDC really likes
Team # 383
  #98   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2006, 11:39 PM
Alum
FRC #0004 (Team Element)

Rookie Year: 2002
raf4far has a spectacular aura aboutraf4far has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottM
There's something missing......green paint
So I'm guessing no CMUcam cuz theres no green paint. hm...so whats Montanas green heights?
  #99   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2006, 11:50 PM
Custom User Title
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Tom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tom Bottiglieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by raf4far
So I'm guessing no CMUcam cuz theres no green paint. hm...so whats Montanas green heights?
Ha. I wouldn't rule it out just yet. Who knows what's coming in the kit.

Team 254 | San Jose, CA | Mentor (2010 - Present)
Team 125 | Boston, MA | College Student (2007 - 2011)
Team 195 | Southington, CT | Student (2002 - 2006)
  #100   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2006, 01:34 AM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute
Re: **FIRST EMAIL**/Advance Materials List and Autodesk Virtual Kit of Parts Information

I was in the FIRST IRC chat just now, and there was this guy in there named sanddrag, and he made some predictions that sounded pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	prediction.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	3772  
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Purchase Cree LED Bulbs from the Team 696 Online Store
  #101   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2006, 01:38 AM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)

Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepWater
I don't want to sound like a smart butt but I don't understand your response. I don't know about you but I can rip a 10' 2x4 on my table saw into 2 10' lengths if I cut down the middle. I can cut at an angle and get anything in between (i.e. two 6' long 2x4s with pointed ends). I could even cut two 10' long triangle wedges if the 10' 2x4 was cut on a diagonal. I make no claims that anything I cut will be straight though. My point is I'm not assuming anything about how we may or may not cutup and use any of the material on the list.
Well, of course, but wouldn't it be a bit silly for FIRST to have us buy 2x4s only to make them into 2x2s?

I was just pointing out that you can't get two 5' 2x4s from a 10' 2x4, but even that's not true, apparently. As with their width and height, I'm told, 10' lumber is actually not 10'. It's a bit longer. Or so says the guy who works at Home Depot.

(This is why I hate lumber.)

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #102   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2006, 01:42 AM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Krass
(This is why I hate lumber.)
Pipe is nearly as bad. One day they (yes, the mysterious "they") need to redo the naming/reference system on lumber and pipe.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Purchase Cree LED Bulbs from the Team 696 Online Store
  #103   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2006, 01:44 AM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)

Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddrag
Pipe is nearly as bad. One day they (yes, the mysterious "they") need to redo the naming/reference system on lumber and pipe.
...and heaven forbid that you confuse pipe and tubing. Oh man.

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #104   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2006, 02:56 AM
Programmer
FRC #1571 (Braughtswurst)

varcsscotty is an unknown quantity at this point

are you sure it's longer? i thought it was approx. 1/16th shorter because the mill has to cut it down so some of it becomes sawdust....not that it makes a huge difference... but it might to my engineer team membes
  #105   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2006, 04:47 AM
FRC #0237

JohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond repute
Re: **FIRST EMAIL**/Advance Materials List and Autodesk Virtual Kit of Parts Information

Very, Very difficult to roll a sheet of Lexan, even 1/8"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: