OCCRA
Go to Post I hope I can do something as awesome as Curiosity when I'm older.. - rachelholladay [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2006, 04:22 PM
SLEEP IS POINTLESS!!!
AKA: John Nelson
FRC #1075 (Sinclair Sprockets)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
1075master is an unknown quantity at this point
bot carts. need info!

yes i know i'll get yelled at because theres already posts on this but there are so many and they are long and i'm having difficulty finiding what i am looking for.
i am trying to come up with an idea of how to build a simple cart driven by 2 motors. i am planning on using the rc and oi from a previous year to control it.
it needs to be small but be able to get over bumps and somehow raise the bot to a good working height that we like.(about 3 feet from ground).
if anyone has any plans or ideas they can give me post them here or you can email me here.

once again yes i know i'm repeating posts from before but they tend to be on carts in general. if someone knows of a thread with the info i'm looking for tell me and i'll close down this thread. thanks!

year >= 2007 && year <= 2009
-mentor in every aspect
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Team Viking/Head Mechanical
AKA: chuckie
FRC #1902 (EXPLODING BACON!!!)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
viking1902 is a glorious beacon of lightviking1902 is a glorious beacon of lightviking1902 is a glorious beacon of lightviking1902 is a glorious beacon of lightviking1902 is a glorious beacon of lightviking1902 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to viking1902
Re: bot carts. need info!

two years ago 1083 just purchased a Radio Flyer wagon that had big pneumatic tires. it worked fine for traversing those power cable protector things around the field. it was simple and got our robot around. the top of the wagon was a bit low so something to raise the top up might be good.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2006, 04:39 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

I have no experience with powered driving carts. However, here's some of the obstacles you will need to worry about: Wire guards (the main one; usually about 1-3 inches high and close to a foot long) and the occaisional ramp. And, of course, crowds. Assuming tank steering, you may want casters. For raising the bot, you can raise the whole cart (which doesn't work too well) or use a scissors lift.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2006, 04:45 PM
no team

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute

some (most?) regionals do not allow powered carts, scooters or other motorized vehicles in the pit area or along side the playfield.

During a competition the pit area and the paths to the playfield are often filled shoulder to shoulder with teams and crews trying to get to or from the playfield, along with spectators who want to see whats going on in the pits.

Having a motorized cart would be awesome, but I think in this case the risks outweight the cool-factor.

Look at it this way: FIRST requires plexiglass shields, steel railings all around the playfield, and for all students and refs near the field to wear safety glasses in order to drive a well specified and inspected robot during the event. Why would they then allow the same students to drive an experimental robot cart around in the pit area, right next to students and spectators, with no restrictions, inspections, or safety measures of any kind?

Last edited by KenWittlief : 01-05-2006 at 04:49 PM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2006, 04:51 PM
Support STEM Education
FRC #3301 (Jay County Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Kyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond reputeKyle Love has a reputation beyond repute

I would say, don't use motors and don't make it complicated. A simple cart will be better in the long run. Sure, at The Championships it will be handy to have one with massive storage, but the rest of the time its just in the way. KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Kyle Love
Teams I've been on:
Team 45 - The TechnoKats - Student/Leader/Driver 2004-2007
Team 1646 - Boiler Precision Guessworks - Mentor 2007-2011
Team 3301 - Jay County Robotics - Teacher 2011-Present

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Programmer/Mentor/Parent. Pick One
AKA: Jack D Higgs
FRC #0364 (Team Fusion)
Team Role: Programmer

jdhawg will become famous soon enough

Last year our Seniors built a motorized cart out of Diamond Plate and an old Electric Wheelchair. Quite a nice ride for our robot, to be sure. The only semi-complaint (more of a warning) was when we first arrived at the Lone Star Regional someone told us to keep the stereo they had installed turned down so as not to become a distraction to teams working on their 'bots.

"In the professional world, spelling mistakes, grammatical shortcuts, leet-speek, and misused verbiage are not interpreted as signs of cute, efficient communications. They are indicators of illiteracy, inefficiency, unprofessional behavior, and sloppy work habits." - Dave Lavery
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Best Available Data
FRC #1778 (Chill Out!)

Ian Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Love
I would say, don't use motors and don't make it complicated. A simple cart will be better in the long run. Sure, at The Championships it will be handy to have one with massive storage, but the rest of the time its just in the way. KEEP IT SIMPLE!
At the championships? I'd prefer to have the space at a regional as well. Even when your pit is a modest 300 feet away, it still seems to take an awful long time to get there and back when you need stuff and all you have is 10 minutes until your next elimination match!

And does it really have to be motorized? Just give it big pneumatic tires, a handle, and storage space and you'll be waayyyyyy ahead of many teams.

PS Do not put small hard plastic wheels on your cart! You will have to pick it up over the wire covers and it will be a big pain in the neck.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2006, 05:53 PM
in between teams
AKA: Luke Van Oort
no team

Rookie Year: 2005
lukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lukevanoort

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWittlief
Look at it this way: FIRST requires plexiglass shields, steel railings all around the playfield, and for all students and refs near the field to wear safety glasses in order to drive a well specified and inspected robot during the event. Why would they then allow the same students to drive an experimental robot cart around in the pit area, right next to students and spectators, with no restrictions, inspections, or safety measures of any kind?
Well they allow the robot to be driven on a tether, and if they mount their OI in the cart and the RC as well connecting the two via tether it should be okay, although this is in the realm of the legality depending on the people at a given competition.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2006, 06:09 PM
Iraq is fun.
AKA: Brad Cahn
no team (Robobees 836)
Team Role: Alumni

Bcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bcahn836 Send a message via Yahoo to Bcahn836

Team 836 last year used a motorized cart using 2 wheel chair motors, an electrical car battery, an OI from 2002 and spare motor controllers and spikes from 03,04. It worked quite well, it had enough clearance to fit through a doorway and enough ground clearance for bumps. It also doubled as a shipping crate for all of our tools and spare parts. If you would like some pics i am sure i can find some.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2006, 06:15 PM
College Student, Mentor
FRC #1259 (Paradigm Shift)

Andy B will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Andy B

Whatever you do, use good, strong durable wheels.

If you use cheap wheels, they will most likely break on you at the most inopportune time as ours did last year at the Championships. Because we could only go in once on the first night to get all our stuff in, we loaded everything on our cart together. Before we made it 6", the front two castor wheels broke.

We bought another pair of cheap castor wheels the next day and they broke again, so we broke 4 wheels just at the championship event.

So, USE STRONG WHEELS!
2005 Midwest Regional: Imagery Award Winners, 16th Seed, 5-5-0 Record, Unpicked
2005 Championships, Newton Division: 5th seed, 6-1-0 Record, Advanced to semifinals
2006 Wisconsin Regional: Judges Award, 23th seed, 5-7-0 Record, Unpicked
2007 Wisconsin Regional: 33rd seed, 3-4-1 Record, Lost in Quarterfinals
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2006, 06:17 PM
SLEEP IS POINTLESS!!!

our regional does allow the use of motorized carts. a team last year made one in the design of forklift and they had no problem with the staff. up here in toronto the attendance isn't as great as in the states. umm and a pics would be great

-mentor in every aspect
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2006, 06:19 PM
AKA: Joe
FRC #0663 (crusaders)

Rookie Year: 2002
sburro will become famous soon enoughsburro will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to sburro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1075master
yes i know i'll get yelled at because theres already posts on this but there are so many and they are long and i'm having difficulty finiding what i am looking for.
i am trying to come up with an idea of how to build a simple cart driven by 2 motors. i am planning on using the rc and oi from a previous year to control it.
it needs to be small but be able to get over bumps and somehow raise the bot to a good working height that we like.(about 3 feet from ground).
if anyone has any plans or ideas they can give me post them here or you can email me here.

once again yes i know i'm repeating posts from before but they tend to be on carts in general. if someone knows of a thread with the info i'm looking for tell me and i'll close down this thread. thanks!
Just make sure you read the documents that just came out. There are NEW rules for carts.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2006, 06:22 PM
SLEEP IS POINTLESS!!!

all i can find are 05 docs where did u get this info??

-mentor in every aspect
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2006, 06:27 PM
AKA: Joe
FRC #0663 (crusaders)

Rookie Year: 2002
sburro will become famous soon enoughsburro will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to sburro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1075master
all i can find are 05 docs where did u get this info??

http://www.usfirst.org/robotics/doc_updt.htm

I just read it somewher let me find it
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2006, 06:27 PM
SLEEP IS POINTLESS!!!

found it but all i see is that u can't put a stereo and what not...

-mentor in every aspect

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: