OCCRA
Go to Post There's so much to say about a sponsor who gets involved and cares about your team over one who just signs a check. - galewind [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2006, 09:17 AM
Joe Johnson's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer at iRobot
AKA: Dr. Joe
FRC #0246 (Overclocked)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute
Nattering Nabobs of Negativity

Nattering Nabobs of Negativity

Okay folks, it's here, Game Day...

...and as sure as I am typing here, there are going to be a lot of folks upset about this or that or the other thing.

I am not writing to ask you not to be upset. We all get upset, especially about things we love. That is fine.

I am asking each and every one of you to keep your ChiefDelphi.com POSTS as upbeat as you can, as positive as you can, and, if you must criticize, restrict it to CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

Below are some examples of what I DON'T want to read:

• "I can't believe that FIRST screw up so badly."
  • "They blew it AGAIN."
  • "This game sucks."
  • "That rule is worse than... "
  • "The Sky is Falling!"
  • "FIRST should have... "
  • "Woodie and Dean should have... "
  • "Dave Lavery should have... "
  • "XXX is an idiot."
You get the idea.

If you don't understand an aspect of the game, fine, let's talk about the game. If you are concerned about the consequences or implications of a rule or set of rules, very good, let's hash things out. If you are worried about a kit part or shipping containers or Dave Lavery's wardrobe, OK, there are probably a lot of folks worried with you. We can talk about them, but let's all agree to do it in a respectful manner (well, except perhaps those Hawaiian Shirts, they have GOT TO GO, Dave, I tried to be nice, but somethings you just have to be blunt about -- just kidding ;-)

Seriously though, we can talk about things, even things we have negative feelings about, in a way that is respectful of FIRST, of other teams, and of all the 1000's of volunteers who have made this FIRST season possible.

That is my plea. I hope you will honor it.

Let's have a great 2006 Season.

Joe J.

Note to all the moderators:
If folks DON'T voluntarily stick to the plan, I urge you to quickly take care of business.

Note to all readers:
The reputation system is a GREAT way to let folks know that they have addresses a sensitive issue in an appropriate way (Positive Reputation Points) AND that they are getting close to the line (Neutral Reputation Points) or that they have gone over it (Negative Reputation Points).
Overclocked #246

Last edited by Joe Johnson : 01-07-2006 at 09:29 AM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2006, 01:20 PM
HEIGHT VIOLATION! BLUE TEAM!
FRC #1466 (Webb Robotics)
Team Role: Communications

Rookie Year: 2002
Reyner will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Reyner Send a message via Yahoo to Reyner
Re: Nattering Nabobs of Negativity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Johnson
"The Sky is Falling!"
haha

I agree with J.J.

The background music to the AIM HIGH animation has a fast moving gritty delta blues with a southern good ole boy feel.
I'd say that I don't like it as much as the music from 2005 but that's to negative

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2006, 02:17 PM
MetalHugginMan
AKA: Gil
FRC #0343 (Metal In Motion)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 1999
Metalhugginman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Metalhugginman Send a message via Yahoo to Metalhugginman
Smile Re: Nattering Nabobs of Negativity

Well put and Amen!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Strategy & Gaming
AKA: Chris Peterson
None #1073 (Team F.O.R.C.E.)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
Petey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond repute

And the Hawaiian shirt did go! Woody and Dave looked and sounded like members of Project Mayhem!

Bio:
Team 1073 alumnus, now Admissions Officer at MIT.

Thanks to all those who have helped me through FIRST over the years.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2006, 11:21 PM
Sinecured Grand Poobah
AKA: Paul Dennis
FRC #1719 (The Umbrella Corp)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2005
aaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant futureaaeamdar has a brilliant future

The kickoff was pretty durned amazing (my first one where I was going to be playing the game). Could you clarify for us Delphi noobs and noobesses how the reputation works? Can individuals score posts, etc.? Maybe I'm missing something hopelessly obvious. If so, sorry.

Thanks
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2006, 11:38 PM
FRC #1168 (Malvern Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
Goobergunch is a name known to allGoobergunch is a name known to allGoobergunch is a name known to allGoobergunch is a name known to allGoobergunch is a name known to allGoobergunch is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaeamdar
The kickoff was pretty durned amazing (my first one where I was going to be playing the game). Could you clarify for us Delphi noobs and noobesses how the reputation works? Can individuals score posts, etc.? Maybe I'm missing something hopelessly obvious. If so, sorry.

Thanks
You affect somebody's reputation by clicking the scale icon next to their posts and telling them you approve, disapprove, or neutral. Use it sparingly, especially for disapproval reputations. The amount of "reputation points" you give somebody is dependent on how many reputation points you have - you can see your reputation by clicking the "user cp" option in the top bar.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon Martus

There's a whole section in the FAQ about it, as well as a few threads in the 'Help / Comments / Suggestions' forum.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: