OCCRA
Go to Post You know you've been in FIRST way too long when you can remember all those hints... even down to exact wording... and only have to look up the most recent. - EricH [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2006, 05:48 PM
I come through in a spinsch
AKA: George- The Voice
FRC #0303 (TEST Team)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
George A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge A. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to George A.
Goal Scoring

I did a search and couldn't find a related thread to this topid...so If i overlooked it I'm sorry

I'm a little confused about the scoring in the goals...

Do you get the points as soon as the ball goes through the goal? Or do they tally the points at the end? Because I'm thinking if it's a score as the balls go through that might lead to missed balls or missed scores.

If you could help me out I'd really appreciate it.
Game Announcer NY: 2005-2008
Game Announcer Champsionships: 2005-2008

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2006, 06:02 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory
Re: Goal Scoring

The balls are scored as soon as they enter the goal. In the case of the center goal, they need to go all the way through the hoop, and down through the tube to count.

If they weren't scored real time, the score of every match would be 0, 5,10, or 25 to 0, 5, 10, or 25. All you'd do is empty every single one of your opponent's balls out of your player station, and try to get to the ramp.

The real question here is how are the balls going to be physically counted? I've heard sensors, and I've heard refs. Either way, it looks like it will be very hard to accurately count the number of balls. It's going to be very tough for a ref to count exactly how many balls are dumped into a goal when a robot comes up with a whole ton of them.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2006, 06:17 PM
Hey! Must be da money!
AKA: Shaw 2
FRC #0237 (Sie-H20-Bots (T.R.I.B.E))
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
Scott Shaw 237 has a reputation beyond reputeScott Shaw 237 has a reputation beyond reputeScott Shaw 237 has a reputation beyond reputeScott Shaw 237 has a reputation beyond reputeScott Shaw 237 has a reputation beyond reputeScott Shaw 237 has a reputation beyond reputeScott Shaw 237 has a reputation beyond reputeScott Shaw 237 has a reputation beyond reputeScott Shaw 237 has a reputation beyond reputeScott Shaw 237 has a reputation beyond reputeScott Shaw 237 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Scott Shaw 237

This was also one of the main questions I have after reading the manual. After seeing somepictures from Wetzel, it appears that there is a sensor/ camera on the ball corrals that will count the balls as they come in, but I dont know how much I would trust either a sensor or a ref for counting them all. Especially like Cory previously mentioned if a robot comes over and puts a whole mass into the goal at one point.

2000 UTC Regional Winners Thanks 131 and 209!
2000 J&J Sportmanship Award
2002 NYC Regional Winners Thanks 549 and 358!
2002 Leadership in Controls Award
2003 Delphi Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award
2004 J&J Regional Winners Thanks 56 and 303!
2004 GM Industrial Design Award
2004 Motorola Quality Award
2005 New Jersey Regional Finalists Thanks 56 and 303!
2005 Radioshack Innovation in Control Award- FLR
2005 Radioshack Innovation in Control Award- NJ
2006 GM Industrial Design Award
2006 Delphi's Driving Tomorrows Technology Award
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2006, 07:13 PM
FRC #0222 (Tigertrons)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Scott L. is just really niceScott L. is just really niceScott L. is just really niceScott L. is just really niceScott L. is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Scott L.
Lightbulb Re: Goal Scoring

Dumping balls into the center goal might not be a real concern as it violates rule <G16>, assuming the height of the platform is no more than ~2 feet tall, and assuming the center goal is 7 feet high.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2006, 08:03 PM
54... What a good number!
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
dez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dez250

The balls going into the side goals and center goals are counted by sensors. They have been tested positively to count multiple balls at a time.

There is a distance greater then 5 feet between the top of the platform and the bottom of the hole for the center goal.

-Michael Dessingue
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2006, 01:05 AM
Mentor
FRC #0662 (Rocky Mountain Robotics)

gburlison is a name known to allgburlison is a name known to allgburlison is a name known to allgburlison is a name known to allgburlison is a name known to allgburlison is a name known to all

Does anyone KNOW if the current score (ball count in each goal or something similar) will be available to the players on the field in real time. Our will they have to rely on the big display behind the field and hope that it is close.
"No sense in being pessimistic, it wouldn't work anyway"
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2006, 01:15 AM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)

Rookie Year: 1999
Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wetzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gburlison
Does anyone KNOW if the current score (ball count in each goal or something similar) will be available to the players on the field in real time. Our will they have to rely on the big display behind the field and hope that it is close.
I do not know if the players will have the score in front of them, but I do know that any field display and bigscreen would have the same data. Good question though.

Wetzel
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2006, 01:20 AM
no team

Rookie Year: 2003
AmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond reputeAmyPrib has a reputation beyond repute

I believe there's accurate real time scoring visible to driveteams because the sensors are counting immediately, but I have not seen the exact placement for where the info will be displayed. If I find out, I'll let ya know, or someone else will find out.

The balls going thru the center goal will be counted as soon as they hit the top of the corrugated chute. I believe the ball essentially "breaks a beam" and is then counted. Then they drop into a "big bucket".

The counting on the corner goals - there's a lighted panel on the HP side of the corral, on the floor ramp down into it. There's a sensor/camera above it that can count 10balls per second (I think that's what I was told) coming across the lite panel.

With this game, there is no way the refs can physically count the balls being scored, as it's balls in, balls out, unlimited scoring. Sounds like there's extremely high confidence that all the necessary systems will work properly, otherwise, there will be major scoring issues. Refs cannot count the balls and the penalties in this game since it's so dynamic. The only thing you can really score when it "comes to rest" is the platform bots.

Co-Chair Boilermaker Regional Planning Committee 2004-2011
2008 St. Louis Regional Finalists and Engineering Inspiration Award
2007 St. Louis Regional Champions - Thanks 1444 & 829! / St. Louis and Boilermaker Quality Award
2006 Boilermaker Chairman's Award
Referee - IRI - 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
2005 Midwest Regional - Semifinalist, Engineering Inspiration Award, and Safety Award / Boilermaker Regional - Judges Award
2004 Midwest Regional Champions - Thanks 269 and 930! / IRI Runner-Up - Thanks to 234 and 447!!!
2004 Championship: Archimedes Finalist - Thanks 716 and 1272!
"We are going to be praised and criticized more than we deserve. We are not to be affected by either." ~ co-worker

Last edited by AmyPrib : 01-08-2006 at 01:26 AM.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2006, 10:09 AM
Too young to be an 'old guy'
FRC #0155 (Technonuts)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 1999
Jeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Skype™ to Jeff Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyPrib
The balls going thru the center goal will be counted as soon as they hit the top of the corrugated chute. I believe the ball essentially "breaks a beam" and is then counted. Then they drop into a "big bucket".
What if three balls are shot one right after another into the center goal. Is there a possibility of the balls jamming the hole to the corrugated tube and therefor not getting counted immediately?
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2006, 11:00 AM
FRC #0025
Team Role: Coach

nuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond repute
counting balls

scoring is much easier this year but how is the teams going to keep track and how is first going to count the balls going in the goals?

shaun
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2006, 11:04 AM
FRC #0190

BrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud of
Re: counting balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuggetsyl
scoring is much easier this year but how is the teams going to keep track and how is first going to count the balls going in the goals?

shaun
At kickoff, it looked like they had an electronic sensor system that counted the balls as they passed through.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2006, 11:48 AM
Registered Linux User: 390661
AKA: Alex
FRC #0422

Rookie Year: 2004
Cuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cuog Send a message via Skype™ to Cuog

yes, and thats why there is a rule that your robot may not enter the goals with a 5 point penalty.

Join us in FIRSTchat
IRC: irc.freenode.net #firstchat
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2006, 11:53 AM
<Yes I managed to flip it
AKA: Shayne Helms
FRC #1132 (RAPTAR Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
Sachiel7 is just really niceSachiel7 is just really niceSachiel7 is just really niceSachiel7 is just really niceSachiel7 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Sachiel7

I guess that means we can expect a somewhat-instant on-screen scoring system this year? Excellent...

There's no such thing as being too simple!
Look for Team #1132, RAPTAR Robotics at the VCU Regional this year!
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Joke's on you!
AKA: Casey Comisky
FRC #1525 (WarBots (Warrior Robotics))

Rookie Year: 2006
Joker[eS] is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Joker[eS] Send a message via MSN to Joker[eS] Send a message via Yahoo to Joker[eS]

On the bottom goals, there is a strip 3 inches into the goal, which is triggered on each ball that passes over it. On the top, I'd imagine that there's a strip after it drops down into the chute.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2006, 12:45 PM
AKA: Ben Gagne
FRC #0195
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
BoyWithCape195 has a brilliant futureBoyWithCape195 has a brilliant futureBoyWithCape195 has a brilliant futureBoyWithCape195 has a brilliant futureBoyWithCape195 has a brilliant futureBoyWithCape195 has a brilliant futureBoyWithCape195 has a brilliant futureBoyWithCape195 has a brilliant futureBoyWithCape195 has a brilliant futureBoyWithCape195 has a brilliant futureBoyWithCape195 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to BoyWithCape195

Actually if you look in the image gallery here on CD you can see that the white strip is just a light strip and the real reader is up above that. Its a type of camera that can sense the balls traveling over the white strip.

(camera that sends data to a computer, and the computer counts? :my guess: )
2007 UTC New England Regional Champions (1124 and 558)
2007 UTC GM Industrial Design
2006 International Championship Finalist (25 and 968)
2006 Newton Division Champions (25 and 968)
2006 Championship Innovation in Control Award
2006 UTC Quarterfinalist (236 and 230)
2006 UTC Innovation in Control Award
2005 Curie Division Quarterfinalists (703 and 234)
2005 UTC Semifinalist (228 and 236)
2004 UTC Entrepreneurship Award
2004 New Jersey Semifinalists (173 and 11)
2004 New Jersey Sportsmanship Award

Last edited by BoyWithCape195 : 01-08-2006 at 12:51 PM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: