OCCRA
Go to Post The sword is only as powerful as it's beholder. But if you choose the labview sword you won't get much tech support at regionals. - xXhunter47Xx [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
I'm done being quiet!
FRC #0131
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1995
Andy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Grady has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Grady
FIRST 101 [Special Edition 1]

Hello class!

With the release of our game for the 2006 season, "Aim High", I figured it would be a good idea to add a little insight into what it takes to go through the FIRST season with this, I bring you...

HOW TO DO FIRST (VOLUME 1)

Our day starts in the wonderful city of Manchester NH. Myself and Ms. Jessica Boucher decide to embark on a great adventure to try to find some of our beloved (but rare) game pieces for my current team "CHAOS".

12:00pm - While shopping in Super Stop and Shop for groceries, we check the toy aisle to hope we get lucky in our search quick. Turns up negative...only small 3 dollar Barbie's available.

12:25 - Thinking that even Poof basketball is a sport, we check Sports Authority for the elusive poof...nothing.

12:32 - Models Sporting Goods also does not carry Poof Basketballs...apparently we were wrong about the whole sport thing.

12:40 - A call to Mr. Ted Boucher to find out how team 237 is doing finding balls down in CT. Apparently they found balls hidden in Toys R Us somewhere.

12:45 - We descend into Toys R Us on South Willow St. in Manchester, many small squishy balls...no official Poof.

12:47 - We find a small stuffed puppy in the plush toys aisle that looks like my dog Missy. I want to bring it home but decide that the line is too long to buy it.

12:55 - We arrive at the South Willow St. Walmart, burst into the toy aisle and get excited when we see a large container with many foamy balls. Turns to disappointment when we donít find the poof, and actually see the pricing sticker where they had been wiped out by another Manchester team.

1:10 - Arrive at Mall of New Hampshire...Sears entrance. Sears has everything right?

1:15 - Wrong.

1:17 - We find really cheap tools and stuff in the hardware section. I buy electrical tape, bar-loks, and a massive Carabineer for carrying grocery bags upstairs to my apartment.

1:25 - We descend upon CVS...no poof balls in a drug store.

1:30 - Kay-Bee Toys has nothing...doesn't look like they are doing too well either! Kinda sad for a person like me who grew up on Kay-Bee.

1:35 - Quick stop at the kitchen store to pick up Mario Batalli Spaghetti Sauce...would find out later that it was very yummy.

2:20 - After stopping home quick to drop off groceries, we arrive at the Derry, NH Walmart in hopes of finding the elusive Poof.

2:22 - Lots of Poof Footballs...but no Basketball.

2:22 and 15 seconds - Curses Dave Lavery, Woodie, and the rest of the GDC for not using footballs for this game instead of basketballs.

2:23 - Found evidence that a FIRST team has been at this particular Walmart!

2:23 and 15 seconds - Curses Pinkerton Academy's FIRST team. (They are located in Derry)

2:30 - We stop at the Dollar Store to see if we can cheat the system and find counterfeit Poofs for cheap.

2:35 - Get made fun of by a random person because of our excitement over finding a foam football.

2:36 - Waits til guy leaves then curses Dave and the GDC again for not using footballs.

2:40 - We decide to head about 40 minutes east to a Walmart in Epping NH because Walmart seems to be the only place that HAD them at some point.

3:10 - Arrive at Super Walmart Epping...I don't encourage speeding folks...but sometimes insanity makes you do bad things.

3:11 - My statement to Jess as we walk into Super Walmart..."If there is a Poof ball to be found in NH...it'll be at this Walmart!"

3:13 - Walmart makes me a liar.

3:14 - We find a round ball, 7 inches in diameter, foam...but not the right ball on the rack where the correct ball was supposed to be. Once again...we've been beaten to the punch!

3:20 - We warn the assistant manager of Walmart of the impending rush of people looking for small foam Poof balls.

3:25 - We decide to drive to Concord, NH which is about a half hour north of Manchester, about 50 minutes from our current position.

3:30 - Call goes out to Mr. Tim Baird of team 126. Gael Force having the same problem.

3:50 - Call goes out to Brad Lauer, New England Regional director...also clueless as to where to find balls. I declare Massachusetts officially out of Poof Basketballs.

3:55 - Arrive at Target in Hooksett on the way...not an inkling of a poof.

4:15 - We arrive in Concord and notice another Toys R Us!

4:17 - Walk into the Nerf ball aisle...no poofs.

4:19 - No luck...decide to double check Nerf aisle.

4:22 - Quote Jess..."ANDY ANDY ANDY...LOOK!!!"

4:23 - VICTORY! I smile as I look down into a bin containing all types of Poof balls!

4:24 - Ok its a small victory...we only found two...

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/pi...&quiet=Verbose

4:40 - We decide to hit up Walmart to see if we can find more...more evidence of evil FIRST teams getting there before us. No balls.

4:41 - We come to the realization that the Poof company should be financially stable for years to come.

4:50 - Another sports store that doesn't believe in foam sports. Thanks $@#$@#$@#$@#$@# Sporting Goods.

4:51 - Decide to call no joy and head for home...but stop at one more Walmart on the way.

5:15 - Talk to Kathie Kentfield of NEMO...apparently Connecticut is out of Poofs too.

5:20 - Lots of discussion about how FIRST pretty much wipes out the world of at least one object every year.

5:30 - Not only does Walmart Hooksett not have Poofs...the whole Poof area looks like it has been ravaged by a large Amazonian tiger. We definitely got beat to this one!

5:40 - Jess falls asleep in car.

6:00 - HOME!!! YAY!!!

In conclusion...

After 6 hours, 5 Walmarts, 3 Sporting goods stores, 3 Toy Stores, 1 Sears, 1 Crafts Store, 1 Dollar Store, 1 Supermarket, 1 Kitchen Store, 1 Target, a half a tank of gas, and a large bowl of Mario Batalli Spaghetti and Kielbasa...

Curse you Dave Lavery, Woodie, and the rest of the GDC for not using footballs!

Class Dismissed.
-Professor Grady

Last edited by Andy Grady : 01-08-2006 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Tired from looking for balls...makes spelling baaad
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2006, 07:18 PM
MetalHugginMan
AKA: Gil
FRC #0343 (Metal In Motion)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 1999
Metalhugginman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Metalhugginman Send a message via Yahoo to Metalhugginman
Smile Re: FIRST 101 [Special Edition 1]

I am almost afraid to look in our area as my luck will probably be the same as yours.
Good luck to all teams this year.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2006, 07:34 PM
FRC #1511
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
Ashley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Christine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: FIRST 101 [Special Edition 1]

Hahaha,
Love the story.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Penn State Class of 2010!
AKA: Steve
FRC #1640 (sab-BOT-age)

coastertux is just really nicecoastertux is just really nicecoastertux is just really nicecoastertux is just really nicecoastertux is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to coastertux

My team hasn't looked yet...we better get on it...
What is the going rate for these balls? Does $8.99 sound right?
Hopefully FIRST warned POOF so they have plenty in their warehouses.
"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvellous structure of reality." ~Albert Einstein
DHSE '06, PSU '10 (Eberly College of Science - Chemistry)

Last edited by coastertux : 01-08-2006 at 08:05 PM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2006, 08:51 PM
AKA: Brian Roehl
FRC #1525 (Warbots)
Team Role: Electrical

BrianR has a spectacular aura aboutBrianR has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to BrianR

My fear is that in order to keep the game a total secret, FIRST probably did not warn POOF, and thus these could be on backorder for a VERY long time...

Anybody think to try to buy stock in POOF? Earnings this quarter are gonna skyrocket.

P.S. I already thought to try, but they are not a publicly traded company.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2006, 08:54 PM
AKA: Matt Syska
FRC #0195 (Cyber Knights)

Rookie Year: 2003
Sscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud ofSscamatt has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Sscamatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastertux
What is the going rate for these balls? Does $8.99 sound right?
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...threadid=41257
2006 Radio Shack Innovation in Control Award, UTC Regional

RIT Class of 2011
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Best Available Data
FRC #1778 (Chill Out!)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2004
Ian Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond repute

We did the same thing to PG-13 two years ago. They were warned, but they didn't believe FIRST, so they ran out of stock in the warehouses.

First, websites suffered the "/. effect". Now one select manufacterer each year experiences the "FIRST effect".

Last edited by Ian Curtis : 01-08-2006 at 08:57 PM.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2006, 09:12 PM
Team 2021 Captain
AKA: Chris Davidson
FRC #2021 (FA Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
chris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond reputechris31 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to chris31 Send a message via Skype™ to chris31

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCurtis
We did the same thing to PG-13 two years ago. They were warned, but they didn't believe FIRST, so they ran out of stock in the warehouses.

First, websites suffered the "/. effect". Now one select manufacterer each year experiences the "FIRST effect".
Its really "the digg effect" (digg.com) thats taking sites offline now.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2006, 09:37 PM
AKA: Brian Roehl
FRC #1525 (Warbots)

BrianR has a spectacular aura aboutBrianR has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to BrianR

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCurtis

Yeah, I imagine that companies have to be a bit skeptical about people really wanting a ton of POOF balls all of the sudden, so they would rather let them go on backorder than make a ton, and be unable to sell them.

Anybody think to buy POOF stocks? Profits this quarter will be huge!

P.S. I already checked, and they are not a publicly traded company, so no luck there

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: