Go to Post A winning robot is not a winning robot unless you have winning drivers too. You need the time to develop both. - Jim Zondag [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2006, 04:27 PM
My brain hirts.
AKA: Kevin
FRC #0326 (Xtreme Eagles / Romulus High School / General Motors)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Mr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond reputeMr.G has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Mr.G
How will the Balls Change once FIRST Paints them

In prior years we have been given samples of game pieces from FIRST and when we get to the event they are painted or molded, blue and red. Sometimes they are even made out of a different materials. We have had problems with this in the past. I wonder what will happen this year. Will the paint they use change the grip of the ball or the hardness of it?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2006, 04:28 PM
#8 Alliance For Life
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery
Re: How will the Balls Change once FIRST Paints them

I do not beleive they will be painted for the official competition.

And when where they made out of a different material?
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2006, 04:32 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Master
In prior years we have been given samples of game pieces from FIRST and when we get to the event they are painted or molded, blue and red. Sometimes they are even made out of a different materials. We have had problems with this in the past. I wonder what will happen this year. Will the paint they use change the grip of the ball or the hardness of it?
They aren't painted. As can be seen in the kickoff video, they're colored in whatever random two colors Poof decides to use.

Im not sure what you're referring to with your comment about different material/color game pieces.

In 2005, the tetras were colored, but they were still exactly the same diameter pipe as you would have used for your own. Same with all other aspects of the tetras.

In 2004, you may have bought red balls, but FIRST had purple balls. Again, no functional difference. The large balls were identical.

In 2003, the bin was identical except for the fact that FIRST put the retroreflective stickers on them (and perhaps a logo sticker? I can't remember for sure) and riveted the lids on.

In 2002 the balls were exactly identical to the ones used on the field.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2006, 04:35 PM
AKA: Keith
FRC #1208 (The Metool Brigade)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2005
keithv708 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to keithv708 Send a message via MSN to keithv708 Send a message via Yahoo to keithv708

no will not because the paint will not change it at all
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2006, 04:36 PM
ICE MAN
AKA: John Cory Brown
FRC #0832 (Chimera)

Rookie Year: 2002
ICE MAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ICE MAN

this year they have used just a simple poof ball. i also think they gave use this ball for a good reason. i haven't been able to find the rule in the Manuel but i believe they have given us a ball to test if our "shooting" mechanism will tear the ball up, as our ball has already been completely defaced.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2006, 05:18 PM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)

Rookie Year: 1999
Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wetzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory
In 2005, the tetras were colored, but they were still exactly the same diameter pipe as you would have used for your own. Same with all other aspects of the tetras.
They did change the material of the clovers. I don't think that anyone had a mechanism that the material change there caused problems for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithv708
no will not because the paint will not change it at all
As for this, it is hard to figure out what you are attempting to convey, but there will be no paint on the Poof Balls.

Wetzel

Last edited by Wetzel : 01-23-2006 at 05:20 PM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2006, 05:24 PM
Grow Up? Why?
FRC #0610

Steve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond repute

The only Issue that I know was that they changed the 2X ball supplier and the balls were a little different. The answer is no they will not paint the balls. They will be multiple colors as seen if you purchased any quantity of them.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2006, 05:48 PM
125 Member, cause Brando says so :p
FRC #0125 (NUTRONS)

Rookie Year: 2004
Kim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kim Masi

I think the real question is: What's going to happen to the balls as the days of the competition progress? I think they will become torn, matted and maybe they will lose a bit of air because of how many times they will be shot from various mechanisms.

However, I think FIRST thought ahead and there will be hundreds of spare balls at the competitions...Looks like POOF inc. will be making (or already has made) lots and lots of money.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2006, 06:09 PM
SAE Formula is FIRST with Gasoline.
FRC #0306 (CRT)
Team Role: Alumni

Andrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blair Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blair

Its hard to believe, but I can imagine next, or in a few years, companies actually lobbying for the FIRST contract. I wonder if this will ever make any impact on what FIRST chooses to do each year?

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
-Albert Einstein
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2006, 06:16 PM
occra 23.
AKA: ryo
None #1481
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
greencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to greencactus3 Send a message via MSN to greencactus3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robochik52
I think the real question is: What's going to happen to the balls as the days of the competition progress? I think they will become torn, matted and maybe they will lose a bit of air because of how many times they will be shot from various mechanisms.

However, I think FIRST thought ahead and there will be hundreds of spare balls at the competitions...Looks like POOF inc. will be making (or already has made) lots and lots of money.
they have air in them? i assumed they were "solid" foam.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2006, 06:20 PM
ooh, what does this button do?
AKA: Kyle
FRC #1318 (the IRS (Issaquah Robotics Society))
Team Role: Coach

sciencenerd has much to be proud ofsciencenerd has much to be proud ofsciencenerd has much to be proud ofsciencenerd has much to be proud ofsciencenerd has much to be proud ofsciencenerd has much to be proud ofsciencenerd has much to be proud ofsciencenerd has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencactus3
By definition, foam has some air in it. This is what allows it to compress when you squeeze it. The difference is how much air is included, and how solid/elastic the material that makes up the non-air portion of the foam is.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2006, 06:23 PM
125 Member, cause Brando says so :p
FRC #0125 (NUTRONS)

Kim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond reputeKim Masi has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kim Masi

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencactus3
I guess air was a bad way of putting it, lol. When they are squeezed the foam sort of condenses...so maybe they wont lose air but after a while, the foam on the inside might become distorted...hmm maybe I will open one up just too see
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2006, 10:20 PM
n.e.r.d #6
FRC #3780 (Robot Unicorns)

Jon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant future

Actually I know of three differences. In 04 they had the kickballs, when we ordered ours(like 40 or so) we ended up with the wrong ball type, totally throwing off our Human Player's throwing them because they were a lot lighter of a ball. In 05 they did change the clover material due to a lack of enough being produced at one time, and they also had originally made the tetras out of a different material, but due to a weight difference they changed them before the first competition. But the ones at kickoff where different from the ones teams made as well as the ones used in the actual competition.

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2006, 11:26 PM
Mentor, Tactician
AKA: Evan "Numbers" Morrison
FRC #1983 (Skunk Works Robotics) and FRC #0971 (Spartan Robotics)

Nuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Nuttyman54

Unless Poof Slinky, Inc. runs out of poof balls, I think it's safe to assume that they will be the same as the ones in our kit

Email | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Twitch
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2006, 11:48 PM
Robots!
AKA: Ara Kourchians
FRC #0589 (FalkØn)

Arkorobotics is a splendid one to beholdArkorobotics is a splendid one to beholdArkorobotics is a splendid one to beholdArkorobotics is a splendid one to beholdArkorobotics is a splendid one to beholdArkorobotics is a splendid one to beholdArkorobotics is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Arkorobotics

Well in 2004 they did paint "5" on the purple balls and "2X" on the 2x balls

3.141592653589793238462643383275902884197 <- Current memorization of Pi
Callsign: N6ARA

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: