OCCRA
Go to Post I know FIRST is all about changing society. But my approach is one person at a time. - Phil 33 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Renegade Engineer
FRC #1800
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Mentor Dave will become famous soon enough
<R31> Experienced Opinions Needed

<R31>: No devices or decorations are permitted on the robot that are intended to jam or interfere with the operation of the vision system (i.e. changing robot color to confuse opponent's vision system).

This is my first post on the CD board (and this is my rookie year), so I apologize if I am repeating an old topic. I searched as best I could with the limited time that I have to try and answer my question before posting.

I was able to find some old threads from prior seasons that discussed this topic, but they seemed more like speculation than a definite answer. So, I'm hoping somebody will respond, "We tried this last year and didn't get disqualified..." or "We tried this last year and it WAS against the rules..." or something along those lines.

Our team is considering mounting a couple of the green cathode tubes to the front upper portion of the robot, so that while on defense, this light will distract or confuse the opposing team's shooters.

My initial reaction was that this was in clear violation of Rule 31. But the more I think about it, the more I wonder: what is meant by "jam or interfere with the operation..."?

Upon further reflection, I believe the function (or operation) of the camera is to lock onto a green light source. The aforementioned strategy would not prevent the camera from performing this operation. It would still lock onto a green light source. It just may not be the correct one.

If a robot had a device that would somehow scratch the lens, or detonate an EMP, then those would definitely be interfering or jamming with the operation of the vision system, and would be in clear violation of R31.

What if there was a really short shooter, and a taller robot drove in front of it. Would that be considered interfering? It definitely would have prevented the vision system from locking onto a target.

I'm not trying to devalue GP. I just want to understand the application of the rule, and how it has been enforced in previous competitions.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-07-2006, 11:59 AM
no team
Team Role: Engineer

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute
Re: <R31> Experienced Opinions Needed

I can tell you from an engineering / military perspective, there is radio jamming equipment that is used on the battlefield, that puts out strong radio energy on frequencies known to be used by the enemy.

The effect is the radios lock onto the jammer's signal, instead of the signal the operator wants to listen to.

Your intended application sounds pretty much the same. If you stop the opponents robot from being able to scan for the goal light (by using a light of the same color, or by firing a laser into its camera) if that is not 'jamming', then what is?

its definitely interfering with the intended function of the camera system.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Engineer
FRC #0716 (Who'sCTEKS)

Rookie Year: 2001
Andy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Brockway has a reputation beyond repute

This is illegal. The intent of the game designers is to allow the robot to use the field light source as part of its function. Any other light source will "jam or interfere with operation".

I beleive this was also answered in the Q&A.

GP is a big part of our game.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Carpe diem
FRC #0125 (Nu-Trons)

Rookie Year: 1999
MikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MikeDubreuil

I can understand your logic that technically the offensive robot could lock onto either target. However, there's more to R31 than just jamming and interfering. There's an example given to allow you to understand the intent of the rule. It says you're not allowed to confuse the opponent's vision system. Having two lighted targets on the field is confusing. Therefore, your device would be intended to confuse the vision system; making it illegal.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-07-2006, 12:07 PM
(Insert witty comment here)
FRC #0057 (The Leopards)

Rookie Year: 1998
Kevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Sevcik Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin Sevcik

For the definitive answer, see the Q&A:

http://forums.usfirst.org/showthread...ighlight=green

Quote:
Q: We are wondering if we can put the green flowlighting on our robot so that the oppenents robot will aim at us oppesed to the target.

A: No, that would not be allowed
The cathodes would be no different from green flowlighting, really. So It's quite definitely illegal.

Lone Star Regional Troubleshooter
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Superpower: Knows Everyone
AKA: Sara Reffler
FRC #1089 (Team Mercury)

BandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BandChick Send a message via Skype™ to BandChick

I agree with what everyone else posted. This is how my team thinks about it: How would you feel if it happened to your team?

We actually discussed this at a meeting, MOE (365) paints their robot neon green ever year. We decided that they are probably NOT going to be allowed to paint it this year (at least not green) because it would interfere with the function of the camera.

To me, it sounds like you are trying to deceive the other team, that's not the spirit of GP at all. At least, not what I've learned it to be. Now, driving in front of another robot, that's just defense. It's not technically preventing the accurate function of the camera. If the robot moved over an inch, it would see the green light again.

I say no, I think a green neon tube would be illegal.

Get your 2014 Championship userbars here!

1089 Mentor | 2014 MAR Championship Finalists
2014 Bridgewater District Finalists, 2014 Excellence in Engineering Award, 2014 Xerox Creativity Award

2013 Lenape District Finalists | 2009, 2011, 2013 KCP&B Entrepreneurship Award Winners | 2012 Gracious Professionalism Award Winners
2011 NJ Regional Finalists | 2009 NJ Regional Chairman's Award Winners

"Success in life is a matter not so much of talent or opportunity as of concentration and perseverance." C.W. Wendte
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-07-2006, 12:44 PM
Herding electrons
AKA: Tim Tedrow
FRC #0281 (EnTech)

Rookie Year: 2000
ttedrow will become famous soon enoughttedrow will become famous soon enough

It will not pass my inspection. Period.

2004, 2005, 2006
Lead Robot Inspector

KD4EGM

FRC 281 Team Mentor '00-'03, '11-'14
FLL Coach '06-'12
Palmetto Regional Lead Inspector '04-'07
Palmetto Regional Planning Committee '08-'09
Palmetto Regional Safety Advisor '08-'09
World Festival FLL Judge '08-'11
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-07-2006, 01:06 PM
Renegade Engineer
FRC #1800

Rookie Year: 2006
Mentor Dave will become famous soon enough

Thank you for the quick responses!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-07-2006, 01:13 PM
Greg Marra's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
[automate(a) for a in tasks_to_do]
no team (The Blue Alliance)
Team Role: RoboCoach

Rookie Year: 2005
Greg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Marra has a reputation beyond repute

Part of the advantage in switching to an illuminated light source is that it will help the problems with the camera locking on to non-illuminated green objects. Last year in Philadelphia, our robot's camera locked dead onto MOE's fluorescent green t-shirts. I can only imagine what would happen if someone's autonomous routine decided MOE was the goal.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-07-2006, 04:30 PM
FRC #1640

Rookie Year: 2001
Gdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond repute

Green light? Why not be more devious and put a UV strobe on your bot. UV drives the camera crazy. Of course there is the counter measure. UV blocking polarized lens. Before you Know it we will have battle bots. Our team is going to try something along the line of track them and PUSH them.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Retired
no team

Rookie Year: 2003
Jack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Brockway
This is illegal. The intent of the game designers is to allow the robot to use the field light source as part of its function. Any other light source will "jam or interfere with operation".

I beleive this was also answered in the Q&A.

GP is a big part of our game.
Then the alliance flashing LEDs are illegal? I think not. Obviously, it's bright green, or lights with a strong green component that would cause a jamming. The camera/programming should be able to ignore anything else.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Superpower: Knows Everyone
AKA: Sara Reffler
FRC #1089 (Team Mercury)

BandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BandChick Send a message via Skype™ to BandChick

Yes, you can program the camera to avoid other colors, but intentional addition (other than what FIRST gave you) seems to me to be illegal. I just think it's inappropriate to even WANT someone else's camera to malfunction.

Think about how much time and effort your team has put into programming their camera algorithm and routine? Would you wish the same consequences on your own team?
This is one of the ways we teach new students about Gracious Professionalism.
You have spent your six weeks working on the robot, trials, tribulations, etc. Now you get to the competition and see someone else who has spent JUST as much time, just as much effort, fail because of something YOU did wrong. Would you help them?

The obvious answer should be yes, and if it IS yes, then why would you create something to break/cause a malfunction in something else?

Get your 2014 Championship userbars here!

1089 Mentor | 2014 MAR Championship Finalists
2014 Bridgewater District Finalists, 2014 Excellence in Engineering Award, 2014 Xerox Creativity Award

2013 Lenape District Finalists | 2009, 2011, 2013 KCP&B Entrepreneurship Award Winners | 2012 Gracious Professionalism Award Winners
2011 NJ Regional Finalists | 2009 NJ Regional Chairman's Award Winners

"Success in life is a matter not so much of talent or opportunity as of concentration and perseverance." C.W. Wendte
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-07-2006, 10:41 PM
AKA: Josh Hecht
FRC #0694 (Stuypulse)
Team Role: College Student

Goldeye has a spectacular aura aboutGoldeye has a spectacular aura aboutGoldeye has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Goldeye

In this case, it is entirely illegal by the rules. But I am reminded of the moral argument of tipping. If a bot has a severe COG problem and a spot that flips them over every time... do you push them down? (Not talking about wedges nor a bot designed to tip others)

2005 Championship - Galileo Semifinalist
2005 New York - Regional Chairmans Award
2005 New York - Semifinalist (Thanks 1257,1340)
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-07-2006, 11:53 PM
A VEX GUy WIth A STicky SHift KEy
VRC #0010 (Exothermic Robotics)

Rick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeye
In this case, it is entirely illegal by the rules. But I am reminded of the moral argument of tipping. If a bot has a severe COG problem and a spot that flips them over every time... do you push them down?
No. And I would pull our driver if (s)he exploited that weakness.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2006, 12:47 AM
Not the Shape!
AKA: Rick Kosbab
FRC #1278 (B.E.A.R.S.)
Team Role: College Student

Rombus will become famous soon enoughRombus will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Rombus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandChick
We actually discussed this at a meeting, MOE (365) paints their robot neon green ever year. We decided that they are probably NOT going to be allowed to paint it this year (at least not green) because it would interfere with the function of the camera.
Actually, last year a vision target was green, much closer to the ground, and was painted. Moes bot still had some green:
http://www.moe365.org/specs.php

This year, i dont see why it would be different, because the light is in the air, and its an actual light, not paint. Plus, you can always limit your camera from looking at the ground
'06 Team Quote: "B.E.A.R.S. Dont sleep untill the season is over!"
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: