Go to Post We really are nerds, aren't we? - Eria4044 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Team Organization > Starting New Teams
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Its NOT a Camera
AKA: College Advisor
FRC #0293 (SPIKE)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Spikey is just really niceSpikey is just really niceSpikey is just really niceSpikey is just really nice
Looking to start a team in Syracuse

Hi all. I have finally gone off to college and I am without a FIRST team But I am hoping to make a difference up here at Syracuse. Our University has a large engineering program, and I have talked to a few people and there seems to be some interest in starting a team at one of the local Syracuse high schools. I still have to find sponsors, and of course I need to put together a business plan and recruit people. My goal would be to get a team going by next year with hopes of competing in the 2006-2007 season. I am looking for general advice, contacts, and ideas and procedures for starting a team. I know some teams help other teams getting started, and I was wondering if there are any teams in the Greater Syracuse area that could help me get this under way.

I am only a lowly freshman in college, but I have plenty of time to get things rolling. So all the help would be appreciated, please contact me or post in the forum!

Spikey Team 293 Alumnus
Uncrowned Champions of the 2005 Philadelphia Regional
SPIKE X NJ Xerox Creativity Award. Chesapeake Regional CHAMPIONS, and Motorola Quality Award
2006 Semi-Finalist at NJ Regional & Semi-Finalist at Chesapeake Regional, winners of the 2006 Xerox Creativity Award, and Judges Award
"Looks like SPIKE is doing its Batman thing again, that team looked like it was going to score, but SPIKE was not going to allow that to happen" -Play by play call at the Chesapeake Regional
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Free Agent
AKA: Jeff Martinez
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
Martinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to behold
Re: Looking to start a team in Syracuse

I assume your going to SU?

Try to get them to offically sponsor a team. Press it as a recruitment drive. These are excited students in high school who want to go into engineering. Better still, if you have a program they will want to go there. Every year now, Clarkson gets over a dozen FIRSTers. Partially because of the scholarships that are offered but mostly cause they want to continue in FIRST!

If you can get money for the kit and passionate people then the rest is detail work. Talk with Kim O'Toole with 1511 Rolling Thunder. She started Division by Zero as a lowly freshman and when she graduated started 1511. I'd consider her the resident expert on starting a team.
Former 2053 Tigertronics Mentor and Engineer
Former Chuck 84 Mentor and Engineer
Former Lockheed Martin, VH-71 Program Employee.
Let us never rest till every student has FIRST Rate Opportunities!
Program Proposal: FRC
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Former Lord of the Vex
AKA: George Marchant
FRC #0087 (Red Devils)

Rookie Year: 2000
GeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeTheEng

There is a division of Lockheed Martin located in Syracuse. I'll make some inquiries with folks I know up there and see if there is a chance of support. Contact via PM or using my info on my profile if you're interested.
Philadelphia Alliance Regional Corporate Advisory Board Member |
FRC and FTC volunteer at too many places to list (NJ, VA, DE, PA, NY, Championship)|

"Hi my name is George and I'm a FIRST-aholic. I've been a FIRST-aholic since 2000..."
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2006, 01:30 PM
OZ_341's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
#0341 (Wissahickon)

OZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond repute

Spikey:

If you would like a FREE "Team in a Box" DVD just go to www.team341.com Click on the banner and then scroll down to order.

We made this DVD to help Rookie teams, but we are finding that teams are also using this disk to explain the FIRST experience to groups that are unfamiliar with FIRST.

Anyway its free so you can't lose.

Best of luck

Al Ostrow
Team 341
2014 Hatboro District Champions (thanks 2590 & 272)
2014 Lenape District Team Spirit Award
2014 Finger Lakes and MAR CMP KPCB Award
Overall Record 60 W - 37 L
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)

Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey
Hi all. I have finally gone off to college and I am without a FIRST team But I am hoping to make a difference up here at Syracuse. Our University has a large engineering program, and I have talked to a few people and there seems to be some interest in starting a team at one of the local Syracuse high schools. I still have to find sponsors, and of course I need to put together a business plan and recruit people. My goal would be to get a team going by next year with hopes of competing in the 2006-2007 season. I am looking for general advice, contacts, and ideas and procedures for starting a team. I know some teams help other teams getting started, and I was wondering if there are any teams in the Greater Syracuse area that could help me get this under way.

I am only a lowly freshman in college, but I have plenty of time to get things rolling. So all the help would be appreciated, please contact me or post in the forum!

Spikey Team 293 Alumnus
You should contact member of team 891 Neverending Chaos who dissolved a couple of years ago and see if they can help. Also team 174 the Artic Warriors are in the SYracuse area and could be of assistance as well.
There is alot of help 75 miles due east in Rochester from the X-Cats, team 340 G.R.R. Robotics and the previously mentioned 1511 Rolling Thunder.
Just let us know what you need.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2006, 03:41 PM
Has anyone seen my sanity?
AKA: Kristin Pugh
no team
Team Role: Engineer

kpugh is just really nicekpugh is just really nicekpugh is just really nicekpugh is just really nice

I sent you a PM with my contact info. I would be happy to help.

One thing I forgot to mention in the PM, I would recommend looking into getting the SU Engineering Department involved. There are probably many students, and maybe even a couple of professors that would be interested in helping out. Not to mention they may have a machine shop with lots of tools that may come in handy while building a robot

So Koko Ed, there is another Rochester east of Syracuse as well as one to the west!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko Ed
There is alot of help 75 miles due east in Rochester from the X-Cats, team 340 G.R.R. Robotics and the previously mentioned 1511 Rolling Thunder.
Hate less, love more;
And all good things are yours."
-Swedish Proverb

Last edited by kpugh : 02-10-2006 at 03:50 PM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)

Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpugh
I sent you a PM with my contact info. I would be happy to help.

One thing I forgot to mention in the PM, I would recommend looking into getting the SU Engineering Department involved. There are probably many students, and maybe even a couple of professors that would be interested in helping out. Not to mention they may have a machine shop with lots of tools that may come in handy while building a robot

So Koko Ed, there is another Rochester east of Syracuse as well as one to the west!!!
heh.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Its NOT a Camera
AKA: College Advisor
FRC #0293 (SPIKE)

Rookie Year: 2001
Spikey is just really niceSpikey is just really niceSpikey is just really niceSpikey is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko Ed
You should contact member of team 891 Neverending Chaos who dissolved a couple of years ago and see if they can help. Also team 174 the Artic Warriors are in the SYracuse area and could be of assistance as well.
Thanks for your advice, I will be contacting several teams looking for help as soon as I get some more basics laid out. I already have talked to the Dean of Engineering school at Syracuse, and he recommended me to a professor who teaches robotics. This professor has offered to be a mentor, and team leader so I am already seeing some good signs.

Please continue to post advice I appreciated it!
Uncrowned Champions of the 2005 Philadelphia Regional
SPIKE X NJ Xerox Creativity Award. Chesapeake Regional CHAMPIONS, and Motorola Quality Award
2006 Semi-Finalist at NJ Regional & Semi-Finalist at Chesapeake Regional, winners of the 2006 Xerox Creativity Award, and Judges Award
"Looks like SPIKE is doing its Batman thing again, that team looked like it was going to score, but SPIKE was not going to allow that to happen" -Play by play call at the Chesapeake Regional
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-28-2006, 06:57 PM
AKA: Rees
FRC #0340 (Greater Rochester Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

rees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond reputerees2001 has a reputation beyond repute

You should see if you can get a group of individuals together to come out to the Finger Lakes Regional next week (3/9-3/11 @ RIT) . If you want more details e-mail me jrees@cccsd.org & I can hook you up. I help run the New Team Development Committee for the Regional & I was just discussing how we need to build more teams in Syracuse & Buffalo. We may be able to help with sponsorship & recruiting.
Good Luck

for more info on the event
http://www.usfirst.org/robotics/2006...ingerlakes.htm
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2006, 11:38 PM
FIRST on my mind
AKA: Evan Raitt
no team

Tetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from 174 in Liverpool. (10 minutes away from the city of Syracuse) I've sent Spikey a message so we will do some schemeing. The Arctic Warriors will try to do whatever possible to see if we can make a team at Syracuse next year.

If anyone knows of any other places that can make a robotics team in the Central New York area, please, let us know. 174 is lonley and wants some friends in the robotics community!

Last edited by Tetraman : 03-27-2006 at 11:42 PM.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2006, 07:23 AM
former driver, now mentor
AKA: Cory Gramlich
FRC #1126 (SparX)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2003
jagman2882 has a spectacular aura aboutjagman2882 has a spectacular aura aboutjagman2882 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to jagman2882

I know at baldwinsville high school they have a PLTW. may be some interest there. its like 10 min from SU
'06 Finger Lakes Champs, '08 Finalists
'08 Buckeye Motorola Quality Award
'07 Buckeye General Motors Industrial Design Award
'05 Buckeye Radioshack Inovation in Control award, '06, '07 Finger Lakes Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control Award

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2006, 10:08 AM
Kims Robot's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Onto a New Chapter...
AKA: Kim O'Toole Eckhardt
no team

Rookie Year: 1996
Kims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kims Robot

1511 is of course available to help. I have a whole ton of documentation available for download off of our website: http://www.penfieldrobotics.com/resources/rookies.php

There are also some fundraising ideas on our site:
http://www.penfieldrobotics.com/team/fundraising.php
*Our Patron drive is our biggest fundraiser, raising nearly $18k in the past two years.

And we would be happy to come out and help do demos or whatever you need.

Oh and mark the RahChaCha Ruckus II on your calendar. 1511 is sponsoring the event organized with the Ruckus Committee on October 28-29th. You could bring a rookie team, and we would find you a robot to compete with to give your team a taste of FIRST

Best of luck!
History - Team 176, Team 229, Team 1511, FIRST Volunteer!!
My new FIRST Photography Hobby & Angry Eric's Fan Page
Excellence - is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2006, 11:14 AM
FIRST on my mind
AKA: Evan Raitt
no team

Tetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagman2882
I know at baldwinsville high school they have a PLTW. may be some interest there. its like 10 min from SU
Baldwinsville would enjoy one, but when we asked if the'd want to join our team and make 174 two schools about two years ago, there was 0 interest in robotics as a whole.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2006, 02:33 PM
Free Agent
AKA: Jeff Martinez
no team

Martinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to beholdMartinez is a splendid one to behold

I've placed a copy of my FIRST Robotics Owego Proposal in the CD White Pages. Hope its of use to you: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/1805
Former 2053 Tigertronics Mentor and Engineer
Former Chuck 84 Mentor and Engineer
Former Lockheed Martin, VH-71 Program Employee.
Let us never rest till every student has FIRST Rate Opportunities!
Program Proposal: FRC
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2006, 03:23 PM
Has anyone seen my sanity?
AKA: Kristin Pugh
no team
Team Role: Engineer

kpugh is just really nicekpugh is just really nicekpugh is just really nicekpugh is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagman2882
If you are looking to get involved with a school that has a PLTW program, here is a link to a list of all PLTW schools in NY state. http://www.pltw.org/schoollist.asp?toSelect=NY

At a quick glance the schools on there that are close enough to SU to be possibilities are Cicero-North Syacuse High School and Westhill Senior High School.
Hate less, love more;
And all good things are yours."
-Swedish Proverb

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: