OCCRA
Go to Post Dear Mr. Lavery, Congratulations. For the fourth year running, you have successfully ruined my Christmas holiday with your untimely release of a most obfuscating, but no less tantalizing, hint. - dubious elise [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2006, 10:05 PM
also Head of Strategy\Translation
AKA: Nimrod Amir
FRC #1577 (SteamPunk)
Team Role: Animator

Rookie Year: 2006
Nimmy is a jewel in the roughNimmy is a jewel in the roughNimmy is a jewel in the roughNimmy is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to Nimmy Send a message via AIM to Nimmy Send a message via MSN to Nimmy
an evil, desperate, ramp strategy

well I was thinking after looking at our bot going up the ramp...

that msot high bots will be very "tipish" going up the ramp
so if we are scored EVEN but the 2 bots with me (or even 1) can't go up the ramp, maybe we will go to the opposing ramp and wait for them to try and go up it, and when the are angled and almost at the top, just give them a small "nudge" so they will have to go back or else tip (if ther are persistant..well...)

do you think this will get us a penalty?

I guess someone should tell Mr. Tzu about FIRST

check out our HERBEW translation to the 2006 game manual at: http://www.avivrobotics.net

Don't mess with Nimrod's
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2006, 10:07 PM
I'm baaaaaaack.
FRC #1902 (Exploding Bacon)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2005
Adam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Adam Richards Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Richards
Re: an evil, desperate, ramp strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimmy
well I was thinking after looking at our bot going up the ramp...

that msot high bots will be very "tipish" going up the ramp
so if we are scored EVEN but the 2 bots with me (or even 1) can't go up the ramp, maybe we will go to the opposing ramp and wait for them to try and go up it, and when the are angled and almost at the top, just give them a small "nudge" so they will have to go back or else tip (if ther are persistant..well...)

do you think this will get us a penalty?
No, but it will give them points for you being on the ramp. If 3 robots are on the Blue Team's ramp, it doesn't matter what team they are supposed to be on, it still counts +25 points to their final score.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2006, 10:16 PM
is getting lost in her new home
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta), #1504 (alum), #67 (alum)

Rookie Year: 2003
Beth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond reputeBeth Sweet has a reputation beyond repute

It's also pretty much as anti-GP as you can get because I'm thinking that's gonna cause a good chunk of damage to their machine. Guess it all depends on where your team's priorities lie.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2006, 10:19 PM
College student - mentor
FRC #0704 (SGP Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2004
Taylor_Ratliff is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Taylor_Ratliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Richards
No, but it will give them points for you being on the ramp. If 3 robots are on the Blue Team's ramp, it doesn't matter what team they are supposed to be on, it still counts +25 points to their final score.
No offense, but your wrong

<G09> ROBOTs on ALLIANCE PLATFORMs - ROBOTs score points if they are entirely on an ALLIANCE
PLATFORM at the end of the match. ALLIANCEs receive points for ROBOTs belonging to either
ALLIANCE that are on the ALLIANCE PLATFORM closest to the ALLIANCE’s DRIVER station. If
any part of the ROBOT is touching the carpet, the ROBOT is not considered on the platform. If a
ROBOT is entirely on an ALLIANCE PLATFORM and is touching another ROBOT that is not entirely
on the ALLIANCE PLATFORM, it still is considered on the platform. One ROBOT on a platform or
ramp is worth 5 points, two ROBOTs are worth 10 points, 3 or more ROBOTs are worth 25 points.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2006, 10:24 PM
I'm baaaaaaack.
FRC #1902 (Exploding Bacon)

Adam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Richards has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Adam Richards Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Richards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor_Ratliff

<G09> ROBOTs on ALLIANCE PLATFORMs - ROBOTs score points if they are entirely on an ALLIANCE
PLATFORM at the end of the match. ALLIANCEs receive points for ROBOTs belonging to either
ALLIANCE that are on the ALLIANCE PLATFORM closest to the ALLIANCE’s DRIVER station. If
any part of the ROBOT is touching the carpet, the ROBOT is not considered on the platform. If a
ROBOT is entirely on an ALLIANCE PLATFORM and is touching another ROBOT that is not entirely
on the ALLIANCE PLATFORM, it still is considered on the platform. One ROBOT on a platform or
ramp is worth 5 points, two ROBOTs are worth 10 points, 3 or more ROBOTs are worth 25 points.
In what part of that am I wrong? It says ROBOTs, which count as any of the 6 on the field, not SAME-COLORED ROBOTS, which would be the robots that are the same color as the platform.

Furthermore, this section proves my point completely:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Rules
ALLIANCEs receive points for ROBOTs belonging to either
ALLIANCE that are on the ALLIANCE PLATFORM closest to the ALLIANCE’s DRIVER station.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2006, 10:26 PM
AKA: Bill
FRC #1626 (Falcon Robotics)

B. Flaherty is a splendid one to beholdB. Flaherty is a splendid one to beholdB. Flaherty is a splendid one to beholdB. Flaherty is a splendid one to beholdB. Flaherty is a splendid one to beholdB. Flaherty is a splendid one to beholdB. Flaherty is a splendid one to beholdB. Flaherty is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to B. Flaherty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor_Ratliff

ALLIANCE that are on the ALLIANCE PLATFORM closest to the ALLIANCE’s DRIVER station.
If
If you re-read the rule, you will see that you are mistaken. No offense Just re-read the bold statement.

EDIT: Sorry to be redundant, was beaten to it.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2006, 10:30 PM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wetzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Sweet
It's also pretty much as anti-GP as you can get because I'm thinking that's gonna cause a good chunk of damage to their machine. Guess it all depends on where your team's priorities lie.
Defense is not at all anti-GP.
Damaging and laughing about it is not GP, going to help them fix it afterwards is.

Wetzel
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2006, 10:35 PM
AKA: Ben Gagne
FRC #0195
Team Role: Alumni

BoyWithCape195 has a brilliant futureBoyWithCape195 has a brilliant futureBoyWithCape195 has a brilliant futureBoyWithCape195 has a brilliant futureBoyWithCape195 has a brilliant futureBoyWithCape195 has a brilliant futureBoyWithCape195 has a brilliant futureBoyWithCape195 has a brilliant futureBoyWithCape195 has a brilliant futureBoyWithCape195 has a brilliant futureBoyWithCape195 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to BoyWithCape195

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Flaherty
If you re-read the rule, you will see that you are mistaken. No offense Just re-read the bold statement.

EDIT: Sorry to be redundant, was beaten to it.
Um... you might want to re read it yourself, the rule clearly states that

"ALLIANCEs receive points for ROBOTs belonging to either
ALLIANCE that are on the ALLIANCE PLATFORM closest to the ALLIANCE’s DRIVER station"

Notice the either, it doesn't matter what alliance the team is, it matters how many robots are on their ramp.
2007 UTC New England Regional Champions (1124 and 558)
2007 UTC GM Industrial Design
2006 International Championship Finalist (25 and 968)
2006 Newton Division Champions (25 and 968)
2006 Championship Innovation in Control Award
2006 UTC Quarterfinalist (236 and 230)
2006 UTC Innovation in Control Award
2005 Curie Division Quarterfinalists (703 and 234)
2005 UTC Semifinalist (228 and 236)
2004 UTC Entrepreneurship Award
2004 New Jersey Semifinalists (173 and 11)
2004 New Jersey Sportsmanship Award
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2006, 10:42 PM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)

Rookie Year: 1999
Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wetzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyWithCape195
Um... you might want to re read it yourself, the rule clearly states that

"ALLIANCEs receive points for ROBOTs belonging to either
ALLIANCE that are on the ALLIANCE PLATFORM closest to the ALLIANCE’s DRIVER station"

Notice the either, it doesn't matter what alliance the team is, it matters how many robots are on their ramp.
That is exactly what he said. For king of the hill points, the only color that matters is the platform color.

Now that we have THAT settled....

Wetzel
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2006, 10:56 PM
also Head of Strategy\Translation
AKA: Nimrod Amir
FRC #1577 (SteamPunk)
Team Role: Animator

Rookie Year: 2006
Nimmy is a jewel in the roughNimmy is a jewel in the roughNimmy is a jewel in the roughNimmy is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to Nimmy Send a message via AIM to Nimmy Send a message via MSN to Nimmy

yeah it would probably cause serious damage, and of course if any team causes another team damage during the match the least they could do is offer a helping hand

I just wonder if giving them that "nudge" that will tip them over would be considered ramming

and yeha I know it isn't very GP (allthough as wetzel said, it's defense), but as I said a DESEPRATE and EVIL strategy =)

and hey if im on they ramp and I knocked down 3 others I earned my share EVEN if I don't get off of it at the end of the match

I guess someone should tell Mr. Tzu about FIRST

check out our HERBEW translation to the 2006 game manual at: http://www.avivrobotics.net

Don't mess with Nimrod's
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2006, 10:58 PM
AKA: Bill
FRC #1626 (Falcon Robotics)

B. Flaherty is a splendid one to beholdB. Flaherty is a splendid one to beholdB. Flaherty is a splendid one to beholdB. Flaherty is a splendid one to beholdB. Flaherty is a splendid one to beholdB. Flaherty is a splendid one to beholdB. Flaherty is a splendid one to beholdB. Flaherty is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to B. Flaherty

I think there was confusion because I made a double post and instead of deleting it, I just edited it to say so.

I was agreeing with Adam, and my post was in response to Taylor. I understand that the only thing that matters at the end of the match, is how many robots are on the ramp, alliance affiliation makes no difference.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2006, 08:17 AM
FRC #0365 (MOE)

Carol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimmy
I just wonder if giving them that "nudge" that will tip them over would be considered ramming
I can't remember where or when, but I was a ref in a match where the following occurred. REDABOT was hit legally by BLUEABOT. REDABOT was teetering, and BLUEABOT backed up, drove forward again slowly, then gave REDABOT a "nudge" with caused them to tip over. BLUEABOT was DQ'ed.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2006, 08:24 AM
AKA: Matt
None #0703 (Team Pheonix)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
MattB703 has much to be proud ofMattB703 has much to be proud ofMattB703 has much to be proud ofMattB703 has much to be proud ofMattB703 has much to be proud ofMattB703 has much to be proud ofMattB703 has much to be proud ofMattB703 has much to be proud ofMattB703 has much to be proud ofMattB703 has much to be proud of

Pushing a robot to keep it off the platform is legitimate defense. Intentionally tipping a robot to keep it off the ramp is a penalty. It will be up to the ref to judge your intent.

My advise - don't purposely tip anyone over.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2006, 09:01 AM
(Insert witty comment here)
FRC #0057 (The Leopards)

Rookie Year: 1998
Kevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Sevcik Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin Sevcik

Yeah. There's that whole "Strategies aimed solely at the at the destruction or tipping of other robots" clause in the rules. I think you're skirting a very fine edge there. It's one thing to be on the ramp blocking them. It's another to be actively moving forward to tip them over. You may or may not be penalized, but I'd certainly be uncomfortablewith the strategy. And since you can't defend the entire ramp, they're likely to get atleast one robot up, plus yours, so they'd get 10 points for two bots. Or they'd keep you stuck up there and get 5 points for one bot.

Lone Star Regional Troubleshooter
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Iv2gr8sons
AKA: Be More
FRC #0365 (Miracle Workerz)
Team Role: Team Spirit / Cheering

Rookie Year: 2001
Bill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond reputeBill Moore has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bill Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB703
Pushing a robot to keep it off the platform is legitimate defense. Intentionally tipping a robot to keep it off the ramp is a penalty. It will be up to the ref to judge your intent.

My advise - don't purposely tip anyone over.
Any team planning to use this "slight nudge" strategy as a defensive mechanism has already decided to put the referee into a judgement call decision. You might as well start writing your complaints now, cause some of these judgements will go against you.

Robots don't stop on a dime. I don't care if you don't have your hands on the joystick at the moment of impact. If the forward momentum of your robot is the last bit of energy needed for that robot to tip over, you should be penalized, regardless of how slight the impact is, or how "tipsy" the other robot is. You have chosen a strategy that splits hairs over a rule concerning the intentional tipping of robots. As Beth has stated above, many would find this strategy to be Anti-GP.

Maybe next years KOP should have air-bag sensors, so we can measure just how much force was applied to a robot that tipped over. If the air-bag goes off, you get DQ'd -- guess what, it no longer becomes a judgement call!

There are so many other potential strategies that are defensive in nature and aren't Anti-GP, that I don't see the purpose for this particular one. Why is the strategy to wait on their platform? A high CG robot is logically going to be shooting for the high goal at the end of the match. You will have at least a half field-length to block and hinder their approach to the ramp. Why would you waste your time sitting on their ramp for a potentially disasterous strategy? No, there are way too many other strategies that can be employed at the end game, than to take a chance on something as risky as this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: